Kings and Queens of Promise

Things Have Changed For Me.

“Jared, you’re being really quiet,” I said. He was sitting next to me on the plane, and Jack was on the other side. After everything, Jack had practically fallen into my arms when I’d knocked on the door of his mom’s house.

”Em, I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry,” Jack said tearfully as he held me. “I know I was an absolutely shit boyfriend, but I was scared. I don’t know what happened, but I just...I needed to distance myself from you because I thought that you were going to dump me for Pierre or Jared.”

“What? Jack, that’s crazy.”

“I know. And...I was afraid you’d want me to marry you and, Em, I love you, but I’m nowhere near ready to be married to anyone.”

“I understand, Jack,” I said, patting his shoulders. His arms were still securely wrapped around me, and I let out a contented sigh.

“But what are you even doing here?”

“I kind of freaked out and got on a plane to visit my mom. Jack...can you let go of me?”

“No,” he replied, holding me tighter.

“Okay, well...yeah, I freaked out, ran away, Jared followed me, and I’ve been with my mom ever since.”

“But you’re okay now?”

“Yeah, I’m okay now.”

“That’s amazing,” he said. “I’ve missed you so much.”


Now I sat on the plane, Jack’s hand loosely wrapped around mine. He was fast asleep. “Jare?”

“Are you two getting back together?” he asked.

“We actually haven’t talked about it,” I said, slightly confused. Why hadn’t he just read my mind?

“I don’t want you to get hurt,” Jared said slowly, looking at me.

“I’ll be fine, Jare,” I said, patting his hand. Before I could move my hand away, his fingers clasped tightly around mine.

“What about Pierre?” he asked. “What are you and he going to do?”

“Why do you ask? It doesn’t really matter.”

“It matters to me,” he replied. “What would you do if Pierre wanted to be with you?”

“What, like, as my boyfriend?”

“As a husband.”

“I...I dunno, but it seriously doesn’t matter. Pierre’s not going to propose to me.”

“Just say he did,” Jared shrugged. “What would you say?”

“No, of course,” I said confidently. Jared sank into silence and I really began to think about it. Would I say no? I didn’t want to take care of this baby on my own and it would be the right thing...who wants to grow up without a father? I let out a sigh, leaning my head on Jared’s shoulder. “Sometimes, I just wish time would freeze.”

“Me, too,” he sighed.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“Emerson Alexa Gaskarth!” I was nearly knocked over as I was glomped by a nearly six-foot-tall Canadian. “If you ever do that to me again, I’ll strangle you,” he said, holding me tightly against him. From my place against Pierre’s chest, I glanced at Jared who was glaring at Pierre. Anyone familiar with the expression “if looks could kill”...? “You, me, dinner. Tonight,” Pierre said, holding me at arms length.

“Only if you cook,” I chuckled. Next to me, I heard Jared sigh before grabbing my suitcase and taking it inside. “What’s up with him?”

“I dunno,” Pierre shrugged, taking my hand and kissing it. “I missed you so much. I’m gonna start cooking right now! Wear something warm, but pretty, okay?” Then he was off, running into the house. I heaved a sigh and went inside, straight into the room that used to be Syn’s. It was now furnished to my liking, with a few changes. Syn had closed up the entry into the study and put a door connecting it to my room. Now the study was completely empty, waiting to be converted into a baby room.

I went into the huge closet and picked out a dress, which I laid on the dresser before crawling into bed. After all, if Pierre was cooking, then I had time for a quick nap, right...?

“Hey, Em, get up,” a loud voice said above me. A very crabby-looking Brian stood above me. “Pierre’s ready for you, and I’m supposed to escort you.”

“Escort me where?” I asked sleepily. How long had I been out?

“Just get dressed,” he sighed, leaving the room. What was his problem? I got up and slipped on the dress, then some of my purple jewelry. I put on some light make-up, then left my room. Brian gave me the once-over before turning away. “You’ll need shoes.”

“Oh,” I paused before reaching into the room and grabbing my black Rainbows. Being completely ready to go, I took Brian’s extended arm and he led me through the gallery, the great room, and out onto the lanai.

“Follow the lights,” he said, stopping at the edge of the lanai. Looking at the ground, I discovered two strands of twinkle lights on the ground, creating a path. I let go of Brian’s arm, stood on my toes to kiss his cheek, and then followed the path. It led me around the pool and into the yard, where I found a blanket laid out, surrounded by many candles. Pierre was standing in front, holding out his hand to me. Slightly stunned, I took his hand and he helped me sit down on the blanket.

“What is all this?” I asked.

“A special dinner for a special woman. You said I could pamper you,” he said, sitting down next to me and pouring two glasses of champagne. “Non-alcoholic, of course,” he said as he handed me a glass.

“This is very impressive,” I said. “Though the candles seem like a bit of a fire hazard.”

“I’ve got Frank and Zacky on standby with the garden hose.”

“Ah, so that means they’re probably spying on us, huh?” I asked, turning to look at the pool house. Instantly, a curtain was yanked shut, failing to hide the outlines of the two faces behind it. I laughed softly and turned back to Pierre. “So, what’s on the menu?” What? I’m pregnant; I want my food!

“Well, first, we have a very simple salad, then very tasty spaghetti -my family recipe- with breadsticks, and then some brownies. Simple, yet elegant, don’t you think?”

“You know you sound like a woman when you say things like that?” I teased.

“I am all man, I assure you.” I blushed a little at the implication, taking a sip of champagne. I resurfaced to see Pierre studying me intently. His gaze moved down to my hand, which was resting on my stomach.

“Oh,” I coughed as I felt movement under my hand. “It’s kicking again.” Instantly, Pierre was at my side, one hand on my back and a hesitant look on his face. I smiled and took his other hand, letting him touch my stomach. He grinned widely as he felt the baby kicking. He gazed at it lovingly and then looked up at me. Reaching away from me, he pulled a purple flower from the vase that was nestled in the middle of the blanket. He slipped the flower into my hair, smiling softly.

“Beautiful,” he whispered, touching my face. Feeling slightly flushed, I looked away from him, reaching for the salad bowl and a plate. Pierre finally moved back to his place across from me, helping himself to some food. The meal progressed, filled with small talk and catching up. Finally, the food was all gone and we decided to stargaze. The evening was warm and we laid side-by-side in the grass, gazing up at the constellations.

“The only constellation I’ve ever been able to see is Orion’s Belt,” I said, pointing to it.

“You’re not imaginative enough,” Pierre chuckled. “Look at that one over there. It’s the Big Dipper.”

“I don’t see it,” I sighed. Pierre moved so the his head was right next to mine, then pointed it out to me. “Oh.” Pierre chuckled, turning his head to look at me. I turned my head, too, and found his face mere centimeters from mine. “I love you, Em.”

“I know that,” I said breathlessly. Oh god. Please tell me he wasn’t gonna-

“Emerson Gaskarth,” he said, sitting up and pulling me with him. “I know I’ve majorly fucked up in the past and there’s no way for me to ever make up for it, but things are different now. I need you in my life and I want to always be there to take care of you and our baby. I want you both to have everything you could ever want. So, Em,” he breathed, pulling a diamond ring from his pocket, “will you marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1,436
Running Total: 45,081

So, I'm slowing it down to one chapter a night, since this is going by so fast and we're running low on chapters. Hope you guys are okay with that. Since you're here and reading this, though, how about commenting? Please? =)

~Daffodillyric~
Outfit pre-Dinner
Dinner Outfit