Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twenty-Three

It
took three days of scrubbing, shampooing, washing, and countless boxes of bakingsoda to get rid of the smell from Andrew’s stink bombs. Lyrissa was just bringing up the last of the curtains that had to be washed, and was setting them on the beds of each of the rooms. “Dude, it smells so good in here now. Like a lemonie, flowery, pinecone, dipped in laundry soap, covered in cotton candy!” Lyrissa beamed, breathing in the fresh scent that was spread through the entire mansion. “A very poetic choosing of words.” Beast laughed. “Hey, I couldn’t think of any Poe lines about fresh air after a stink bomb… can you?” she retorted playfully. “No, I am at as much of a loss as you.” He smiled, helping her hang Allie’s curtains.

“Is she doing any better?” he asked, his eyes full of concern.

“Yeah, we’re all trying to keep a happy mood up around her. Gambit’s even been teaching her a few card tricks. She tried to shuffle, and shot his entire deck all over the kitchen this morning.” She laughed.

“That is good. Her mood I mean. I’m sure Gambit could have done without the fifty two card pickup.”

“He was laughing the whole time, so it couldn’t have been that bad.” She smirked as the finished hanging the curtains and left the room.

“Hey, you goin’ to that party tonight?” Andrew asked as they walked down the hall. “Don’t know yet, why?” she answered. “What party?” Hank asked curiously. “There’s a big Halloween party downtown tonight, eighteen and up only.” She answered. “Costume’s required.” Andrew added. “Is it safe?” he asked them both. “Kind of.” They answered together. Truth was people had been found dead a few times at those parties, mostly from overdose, but there were still bodies. The skimpier the costume for girls, the more dangerous it was for them for obvious reasons; unless they had someone to protect them. “That sounds convincing, does the Professor know your plans?” he asked. “Yeah, he wants me to take Logan. Which I was gonna try to do anyway. That’s why I don’t know yet, it’s kind of up to him.” She shrugged as the three of them walked.

“Up to who for what?” Logan asked as he too joined them. “Up to you if I get to go to a party tonight. I’ve gone every year for the past three years, but Uncle Charlie doesn’t want me going this year unless you’re there, or I bring someone else to keep me out of trouble.” She answered. “What kind of party?” he asked. “Halloween. Costume’s required, it’s downtown in the shabbier areas. They’re holding it in an abandoned parking garage this year, in the underground parts of it.” She explained. “Sounds like trouble. I like trouble.” He smirked. “Chances are there’ll be fights, and booze, and drugs.” Andrew commented, getting himself slapped hard in the back of the head by one of Lyrissa’s wisps.

“Do ya really wanna go?” Logan asked her. “Yeah, they get better every year. Last year there was a chick swallowing swords, and a guy dressed as Scream juggling over twenty butcher knives.” She answered, giving him a very pleading look. “What time?” he asked. “Starts an hour after sundown, and goes on until everyone either leaves, or is passed out.” She laughed. “Alright, we’ll go.” He nodded. She squealed happily and jumped on him, giving him a tight thanking hug. “Yer welcome.” He laughed as she let go.

That evening Logan was waiting in the kitchen for her, in costume. He was dressed in a ripped, dirty looking suit, with a bent cain, and dented tophat, and had charcoal rings around both of his eyes, and a scar drawn down his face thanks to Jazz, Jubilee, Jean, Kiera, and Rogue all doing his makeup for him, afte Allie forced him to sit through it.

Lyrissa finally came down, wearing a tight, lower cut, black dress with mesh sleeves, that fell a few inches above her knees, tights with vertical solid and sheer stripes, one inch grey heels covered in black lace, black feathered and ruffled angel wings, -Half the size of what Angel’s would be- and short black horns poking up from her now losely curled hair. Her makeup had her face more paled that usual, with slightly hollowed out cheeks, dark red-ish eyeshadow and dramatic eyeliner, black jeweled fake eyelashes, and very red lipstick.

“I know, it looked better on paper. Is it really that bad?” she asked nervously, since everyone’s reactions was to stop and stare at her in silence. “No, ya look… great.” Logan marvled. “Great? That’s the best you can do? Logan you suck! Lyrissa, you look freaking amazing!” Jazz shouted excitedly. “You’re one sexy devil… or, uhm… angel.” Andrew teased. “Thanks.” She smiled and walked over to Logan. She would’ve kissed him, but it would’ve messed up both of their makeup. “We’ll be back later. See ya!” she waved as they left for the jeep.

The party was a strobe and backlight madhouse, filled with the smell of sweat, booze, drugs, cigarette smoke, vomit, and many other things. Logan’s senses were going insane trying to pinpoint the various scents and sounds over the blasting Insane Clown Posse tracks that seemed to rattle the underground stone structure. Lyrissa got a few whistles from the other partygoers, and returned them with cheers of her own as she dragged Logan to the bar.

“Wanna dance?” she asked as she sipped her Bloody Mary. He grunted while watching the several plastered people party, and being entirely shocked when a group of six stumbled out of a room fixing their costumes and makeup. “Hey man, this your girl?” a pirate asked Logan, pointing to Lyrissa who was lazily sipping her drink. “Yeah, what’s it to ya?” he retorted. “Nothin’ man, mine’s in the can, so I was wondering if I could ask ‘er to dance? I wouldn’t mean nothin’ by it, just a friendly dance.” He answered. “Logan?” she asked hopefully. “Fine, but be careful.” He almost growled. “Thanks babe.” She whispered, gently kissing his cheek, and wiping the lipstick away before following the pirate onto the dance floor.

He watched as she moved her hips to the beat, jumping around with the other partiers, and laughing with the pirate who hadn’t even tried to touch her; a smart move on his part. A few minutes later the song ended and Lyrissa and the pirate came walking back, laughing and gasping for breath. “Man, I wish my girl could dance like that, thanks for the dance.” He smiled, kissing her hand playfully. “And thanks for letting me dance with your girl.” He added to Logan, tipping his hat before running off to a woman dressed as Magenta from Rocky Horror.

“That was crazy fun Logan, you should try it.” She grinned, ordering another drink to cool her down. “Don’t they card here?” Logan asked quietly. “Logan, it’s a party not a bar. You’re leaning on a row of ironing boards with the foam pulled off, under a whole bunch of tablecloths and blankets. They don’t have to card.” She laughed.

Eventually they moved to a corner of the building, that was only lit by a strobe and some glow in the dark decorations. “Have I told you how amazing you look in that costume?” she asked him, tilting his hat so she could see his face better. “A few times, yeah.” He answered with a laugh. “You look really, really good in it.” She smiled slyly, taking a drink of something blue she had gotten. “Ya look pretty good in yers too.” He smirked, kissing her lightly, being careful of the makeup that covered her entire face.

“Hey, let’s dance!” she shouted suddenly, pulling him from the corner onto the dance floor. The D.J. had put on a dirty, house remix of the Halloween theme song, with heavily distorted electric guitar in the background. Logan wasn’t much of a dancer, but she got him to move anyway. He felt ridiculous out there, but it was worth it to be pressed up against Lyrissa the way he was. The dance floor was so packed with people, the only way they could really dance was to grind, which he didn’t object to; especially with Lyrissa dressed the way she was.

The song ended, and a very heavy metal song kicked in immediately. It was a bit of a clash, but several people cheered and started mashing as soon as it started. Lyrissa was one of them. “What’s the point of this?” he asked over the screaming people, and blasting music. “Because it’s fun!” she yelled, crashing into him after being pushed by someone behind her. Normally he would’ve gone off on someone for hitting her like that, but apparently this was fun for her.

When that song ended, they both went back to their corner. Lyrissa knew she was going to have some bruises from the mash pit, but it was worth it. Logan’s healing factor took care of any injuries he would’ve had from it.

Lyrissa took a drink of her blue beverage and pulled a face. “What’s wrong?” he asked with a smirk. “Tastes like crap, I didn’t realize it before, but this is really crap!” she laughed before taking another drink. “So why’re ya drinkin’ it?” he asked. “Because as crappy as it is, it’s still kind of good.” She sighed, downing the rest of the mug –which was more than half full- and staggering up to the bar for another.

“I think this is yer last one.” He said softly as she sat back down with him, laughing insanely for no reason. “He said this isn’t supposed to have alcohol in it. It’s just supposed to be blue raspberry juice. I dunno why it’s hitting me so hard… maybe someone spiked it.” She laughed. “This one tastes different though, a lot better than the last one I had.” She sighed, looking at the drink. “It’s brighter blue too,” she sang swaying a bit.

Her eyes went wide suddenly, and she grabbed Logan’s arm tightly. “Lyrissa, what’s wrong?” he asked quickly. “I… I don’t know Logan; I’m just really scared for some reason. I-I wanna go home. Someone definitely spiked the juice.” She whimpered, burying her face in his costume jacket, no longer caring about her makeup. “Kay, let’s go.” He nodded quickly, pulling her up. When she tried to stand, her legs gave out for a few seconds. Just long enough for Logan to get worried. “C’mon, ya do need to get home.” He sighed, keeping his arm under hers to support her weight as they snaked through the crowd; she was already near tears, and had no idea what she was so upset about.

The hall leading out to where they parked the jeep was very dark, and Lyrissa was really getting afraid, thanks to her irrational fear of the dark. Logan decided to carry her bridal style to the jeep; she hid her face in his neck the entire way.

“Alright, listen to me. I want ya stayin’ awake until we get back. Got it?” he asked once he had her buckled in. “Got it.” She breathed, jumping at every sound. Whatever had been put in her drink had her very paranoid. He drove with one hand on her knee, gently rubbing her leg every so often to try and keep her calm.

Half way home she started seeing things in the shadows. Disfigured, taunting, dark figures, watching her and trying to grab and claw at her. It was night, and they were driving home so it was dark in the car, and they were all around her. The first time one grabbed her she started screaming in terror, trying to push it away from her. The more she screamed and fought, the more monsters surrounded her. She could feel them against her skin and clothes, and see her own blood as they tore at her costume and through her skin.

“Lyrissa, calm down, there’s nothing there. It’s okay, calm down!” Logan yelled over her terrified cries. She hadn’t noticed him pull the jeep over until he had his arms around her; but she didn’t know it was him, all she knew were the creatures pulling on her, and a strong set of arms restraining her. She screamed harder trying to get away from him, tears starting to smear her makeup. “Lyrissa! It’s me, calm down okay? It’s just me, you’re okay!” he whispered in her ear, knowing that yelling wasn’t going to have a better effect. “Get them off! Logan, make go away, please!” she screamed, still kicking and thrashing violently.

“Get what off? Where are they, I’ll get rid of ‘em.”

“THEM! They’re everywhere! AHHH!! And they’re hurting me! P-please… make it s-stop!” she sobbed

Logan turned on the light inside the car, and everything stopped. She sat trembling in his arms a while before he spoke. “Lyrissa, yer hallucinating. Whatever’s put in the drink’s makin’ ya see things. They ain’t real.” He explained. “But I could feel them Logan, I could f-feel their claws and, and teeth. I-I was bleeding… a-and it h-h-hurt,” she whispered as she clung to him. “I know, but yer safe. I’m gonna leave the light on for the rest of the trip. Seems ta help ya. They ain’t gonna hurt ya anymore.” He consoled. She nodded and let go of him, and he started the jeep and continued their way home.

Outside the jeep she could see the creatures in the darkness, watching her, and every once in a while on the window trying to get in. She would jump and grab Logan, who would put his arm around her and protect her.

As soon as they got to the mansion, he pulled into the garage and closed the door. He told her to wait in the jeep and went around turning on all the lights in the garage and hallway before coming back. “Okay, I checked the place out, and didn’t find anythin’, c’mon.” he said, opening her door and taking her arm. She was still paranoid, and jumpy, and had recently started talking to herself, and people who weren’t there.

Logan was regretting helping put up the Halloween decorations as they made their way to the kitchen where he heard Beast talking with Xavier and Jubilee; they were making things worse for Lyrissa, who thought they were real ghouls and monsters. “It’s plastic n’ foam, like the others. Come on.” He sighed when she refused to go through a doorway that was guarded by a demonic looking gargoyle. “Y-you sure?” she whispered. “Yeah, I helped put it up. Now come on.” He answered. She nodded, but hid her face in his chest as they walked under it.

“Whoa, is she okay? She looks kinda freaked.” Jubilee asked as Logan and Lyrissa finally made it to the kitchen. “Someone put somethin’ in her drink. She’s been seein’ stuff, and is afraid of everythin’ right now.” He answered.

Suddenly Lyrissa screamed and pressed her entire body against the wall, pulling on Logan’s arm. Everyone looked at her with confused expressions, except Logan who sighed and quickly left the kitchen to turn on the lights in the surrounding rooms; getting rid of the shadow creatures that she was seeing. “She’s seein’ stuff in shadows and dark places most. Think ya can help her Hank?” he asked when he came back, watching Lyrissa calm down and sit on the floor next to Xavier, who put his hand on her shoulder to comfort her; she clung to him the same way Allie did. “I can try, but I’m not sure how much I will be able to do. If this is drug induced hallucinations as you said, then chances are we will just have to wait until the effects wear off.” He answered, motioning for them to follow him to the infirmary.

Once there he conducted an examination and sighed. “All we can do is wait. It looks like a home-made hallucinogen.” He explained. “May I have a word with her?” Xavier asked. Beast nodded and followed Logan and Jubilee out of the room.

“Lyrissa, are you all right?” he asked calmly, taking her hand in one of his, and brushing the hair that was stuck to her costume makeup away with his other. “I don’t know… there are things everywhere, and I can hear them. I don’t know what’s happening! Why are these things here? They keep scratching me, and it hurts. I start bleeding and then everything stops and I’m not even hurt! What’s happening Uncle Charlie?” she answered, shaking slightly.

“There was something put into one of your drinks, that is making you see and hear things. I warned you of this when you asked to attend this party.” He sighed.

“I know! And I-” she broke off and started staring at the cabinets blankly, before jumping off of the bed and standing in the corner.

“Lyrissa, they aren’t moving. You are all right.” He said, moving over to the cabinets and putting a hand on them after reading her mind. “Can you make it s-stop?” she asked softly, almost begging him for help. “I’m afraid not, the effects should wear off by morning. Do you want to stay in here, or go up to your room?” he answered. “Stay here, they’re everywhere up there. I saw them; you have to get everyone out of there though! They’re gonna get them!” she started yelling. “Shh, calm down. I will have Scott and Rogue check in on everyone. They’re in the game room at the moment. I believe it is safe to say you’d like Logan to stay in here with you?” smiled. She nodded weakly, and he left the room, letting Logan back in. The others went to the game room with Xavier to explain to the few still awake in the mansion what was going on.

“Let me help ya.” He laughed quietly as she tried to get her wings off. “Thanks.” She smiled. Once her wings, shoes, and horns were taken off she lay down in the bed and covered her eyes with her wrists. Within minutes she was asleep.

Twenty minutes later she woke up and started shaking Logan awake as hard as she could. “Hey, quit! What’s wrong?” he asked, grabbing her wrists. “I thought you were dead!” she cried, throwing herself into his arms and holding on tight. He growled at the situation, wishing the drugs or whatever was in that drink would wear off and let her relax, and held her as tightly as she was him. She half dosed before snapping back and looking at him with an unreadable expression.

In her half dose she felt him start to fade away, and heard someone telling her that he was leaving. That he would never come back, and that he didn’t want her. She quickly started kissing him roughly, trying to feel him as much as possible, just to know he was there. She was shaking and tears slid down her face as she pushed against him, still unable to find what she was looking for when she tried to take it a step further.

“Lyrissa, what are you doin’?” he asked, forcing himself to push her away. “I don’t want to lose you. I don’t want you to go.” She cried. “I ain’t goin’ anywhere, ya ain’t gonna lose me. Why would ya think that?” he asked, furrowing his brow.

“Because they said you were leaving, because you don’t want me anymore.”

“Well whoever said that’s wrong. I wouldn’t be here with ya if I didn’t wanna be.”

She tried to kiss him again, but he pushed her back again. “Look, this ain’t ‘cause I don’t wanna do this, but ya need to rest. Try and sleep this off, ‘kay? I’ll be right here with ya.” He sighed, putting her back in the infirmary bed, and lying down next to her. “Okay.” She whispered, snuggling as closely as she could to him as he put his arms around her, rubbing her back and arm.

She woke up again a few hours later to him sitting on the edge of her bed talking with Hank. She slowly sat up and blinked in the bright lights they had left on for her. “Ah, Lyrissa, are you feeling any better?” Hank asked gently. “Kind of. I’m not as jumpy… I still feel odd though. Like I’m floating.” She answered with a goofy grin. “The drugs seem to be wearing off, that is good news.” He smiled.

Just then Scott walked into the room, revealing the dark hallway outside the infirmary. Her eyes went wide as she saw the shadow creatures trying to get in. She saw their long, thin, bony arms reaching through the doorway; clawing at her She jumped and fell off of the bed, scrambling to get away from the door as much as possible. Screaming for them to go away. “Shut the door!” Hank and Logan yelled at him, “Sorry! I-I forgot!” he shouted, slamming the door quickly.

“How’re you doing?” he asked Lyrissa, giving her the most apologetic look she had ever seen from him. “I don’t know! I feel better, then I feel the same and start seeing things! I’m dizzy, I can’t get comfortable, things are still moving now, and you can fly!” she yelled, swearing to the high heavens his feet were not touching the ground at the moment.

“Maybe they ain’t wearin’ off Hank.” Logan sighed, sitting on the floor next to Lyrissa, who was shaking violently while staring under the bed. “Nothin’s there babe, just dust bunnies.” He whispered, squeezing her shoulder a bit.

“Can pretzels talk?” she asked randomly. “What?” everyone laughed, trying to wrap their heads around her off the wall question. “Can pretzels talk?” she repeated. “I have never heard one speak, have you?” Hank answered, asking the others. Both shook their heads. “I think we should stop eating pretzels. It probably makes them sad. I’d be sad if someone folded me up and tried to eat me.” She sighed thoughtfully, playing with Logan’s shirt.

“This shirt is really soft… like really soft… wow.” she stated, playing with it even more, and eventually rubbing her face against Logan’s stomach.

“Uhm…” Andrew said awkwardly from the doorway, after being pulled in and having Scott close the door behind him quickly before Lyrissa sat up. “Yes?” Hank asked. “Okay. So I heard Jean, explaining to Allie, who heard Max talking to Kiera about Sparkles getting stoned, after he heard Jubilee telling Gambit and Storm. So I came down here to see if it was true… I take it she is, since she’s practically making out with your shirt.” He explained. “Yeah, she’s pretty messed up.” Scott sighed.

“ANDREW!” she shouted excitedly, making everyone jump. She jumped up and threw herself at him, knocking him to the ground.

“Hi Lyrissa, what the hell?”

“I thought the bunnies got you. But then I saw the things in the shadows, so I thought they got you, but the bunnies kept jumping everywhere so I couldn’t figure it out. Don’t eat pretzels okay?”

“Okay.” He answered as calmly as possible before mouthing “What the hell?” to Logan from his place on the floor. Logan shrugged and helped him get Lyrissa off of him.

“No one’s asleep anymore. Max accidentally woke up Jamie, who told Dante about Lyrissa, who then woke Box up, and he told Jazz, who went searching for Jubilee, and got the full story… sort of.” Andrew sighed, sitting on the counter and kicking his feet while watching Lyrissa lay on the bed playing with Logan’s fingers. “Great, so everyone knows?” Scott asked. “Oh yeah, but that’s a good thing, because for those of us who had to wake up to her screaming about ‘Them’ and the monsters, and then just screaming… well we didn’t think she was having a bad trip, we just thought she was in trouble. We tried to help but someone wouldn’t let us down the stairs!” He added an angry look to Scott as he finished his last statement.

“Shh, she’s out again.” Logan hissed suddenly. “Oh good. Let’s hope she stays that way.” Scott smiled. “Yep, I’m gonna go protect pretzels and hide from bunnies… make sure she’s okay, will ya?” Andrew smiled. “Of course Andrew.” Hank smiled. Logan nodded, as well as Scott, and watched him leave the room. Lyrissa stayed pretty much asleep for the rest of the night; only waking for a few minutes to say something random, beg for a hug, or try and escape whatever was standing over the bed. Or to thank Logan for protecting her the entire time.