Drop Dead.

Okay.

“We’ll see you boys in a little bit,” Mimi calls, waving as she and Gel walk off in a different direction…without me. My entire body stiffens, the farther Gel gets the more anxious I become. Once she’s out of sight I feel myself moving to go after her but a hand on my shoulder stops me.

Growling, I look at the appendage that dared touch me. I realize it’s Ken so I face him with a scowl that shows how uncomfortable I am. I don’t trust these people. I just don’t. It doesn’t matter how well they’re already taking care of us. People start out nice but things can happen, they can change.

My heart is jumping and all I want to do is run off to Gel, to stay at her side to make sure no one touches her the way they shouldn’t. Inhaling through my nose, I listen to whatever Ken has to say.

“Don’t worry, Jinx. She’ll be fine.”

She better be or I’ll be out for blood.

“Where to first?” Ken asks, taking his hand from me to wrap over his chest. His eyes fall on Laker who has been silent since we left the house. The boy shrugs and looks to me but I have no idea where to go. I don’t really care. Clothes are clothes.

After a moment of silence, Laker smirks. “I have an idea.”

“No way,” I state, arms crossed firmly over my chest to show my defiance. “There is no way in hell I’m wearing those.”

“Oh but there is,” Laker chuckles, swinging the jeans that are the same as his only a different size and color. The ones in his hands are dark blue denim and he seems to be thinking that I will be putting them on. He’s dead wrong. “Come one, Jinx, try them on. They seriously aren’t as bad as they look.”

“I’ll look gay.”

“Funny, I thought you looked that way already.”

Glaring angrily at the boy, I rip the jeans from his fingers and he laughs. My feet carry me to the changing room where I open and slam the door. Easily, I step out of my jeans and pull up the pair Laker grabbed for me. They’re called “skinny jeans,” apparently.

Raising an eyebrow, I inspect the article of clothing and with a sigh, pull them on. After a few minutes of grunting and pain I manage to zip them up and button them. My package is a bit uncomfortable but the longer I stand in them the more comfortable it becomes.

The jeans hug my legs just like they do to Laker. I move my legs, noticing that they’re easier to move in than I originally thought. I finally look up into the mirror to stare dumbly at my reflection. The way the jeans hug me makes me look skinnier and more muscular. It’s actually really flattering…

“You done yet?” Laker calls and although he can’t see me, I nod. Pushing open the door, I step out and find both Ken and Laker standing there. Both look me up and down. Ken shrugs and asks me if I like them. I reply with a shrug so he goes off to grab me a few more pairs.

When he’s gone I realize Laker is still staring so I clear my throat. He finally tears his eyes from my legs to look at my face. Smirking, he reaches out to ruffle my hair and I growl to show the action is not appreciated.

“They look better on you than I thought,” Laker says while pulling his hand away. I reach up to fix my hair even though it was a mess to begin with. “Actually, you look hot.”

Something gets stuck in my throat and causes me to choke. Coughing violently, I beat at my chest and try desperately to breathe properly once more. In front of me Laker is laughing hysterically and completely ignoring the fact that I’m choking to death. He should care since it’s his fault!

Hot. He called me hot. I may not be a normal teen but I know for a fact that most guys don’t call other guys, especially ones they hardly know, hot unless they’re a) gay or b) weird. For my sake, I’ll say Laker is the latter.

I go back into the dressing room and throw on my old pair of jeans. As I hold the pair of skinny jeans in my hands I have this sudden urge to rip off the tags, shove them back on and walk out of the store with them. It’s just that…I’m so use to doing that, to stealing what I want or need that now my body almost expects it, expects that rush I get from doing it.

Shaking my head to get rid of those thoughts, I press my palm against the door and open it to leave. The three of us find me a few shirts and afterwards we go to find me shoes. By the time we’re done each of us is carrying two bags and we meet up at the car with Gel and Mimi.

Gel squeals and begins telling me everything that she got. I throw on a smile and listen intently to everything she has to say until Mimi interjects, “Why don’t you two pick out something you want to wear and we’ll go somewhere to eat?”

“Ok!” Gel shouts, excited to wear her new stuff. I shrug and grab a shirt and a pair of pants without really caring what they were. In the mall bathrooms, Gel and I change and go back out to the car. Mimi smiles when she sees me and says that I look good.

“Thanks,” I mumble, slipping into the car and shutting the door. Gel squirms in the middle in her new skirt and shirt. She grabs my hand and continues telling me her stories in great detail. I chuckle and lean my head back against the seat while I listen to her.

The car comes to a stop and we all step out of the car. I look up at the restaurant we’re entering and I’m being honest when I say I’ve never been to one so nice. My…“parents” never thought I was good enough to take out to some place like this, with expensive food. They always took me to places like McDonald's and Burger King and even they were rare.

So as we walk through I begin to feel nervous. I don’t know what to do or how to react. Laker was right when he said I didn’t know my manners. I don’t know how to properly eat in public. I don’t know what I should or shouldn’t do.

When we take a seat I’m starting to sweat a little. Gel is on the inside and I’m in between her and Laker. Speaking of Laker, he notices my nervousness. His eyes are glued on me and I swallow the lump that has formed in my throat.

Gel seems to be fine, happily ordering her drink and talking away with Mimi and Ken. The waitress comes to me and asks what I would like. I bite my lip and mumble, “A coke.” Laker orders his drink after me and the girl hands us our menus.

The menu is shaking in my hand. I don’t want to embarrass myself or Gel. I don’t want Ken and Mimi to regret taking us in. I may not trust them but…this life is already better than the one I had before. It’ll be better for both Gel and I to live with these people but what if…what if I am impolite or offend someone? Ken and Mimi won’t want us anymore and it’ll be my entire fault!

My panic is building up and suddenly a hand is wrapping itself around my knee. Whoever it is squeezes and catches my attention. I turn to face them and end up falling into two seas of green. I know immediately who it is.

“Jinx, what’s wrong?” He whispers, holding up his menu and trying to not be conspicuous.

I don’t know what it was to make me say it but I did, “What if I mess up and they don’t want me or Gel anymore?” It just kind of slipped out and once it did I realize it. My eyes widen and I try to sputter out that I was just being stupid but Laker won’t have it.

He chuckles and squeezes my knee once more to keep my attention on him. It works.

“Everything is going to be okay, Jinx. Just wait and see.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I love me boys, yesh, yesh I dooooo
So how is Halloween for all you folks?
I missed trick or treating DDDDD=

Comment&Subscribe?