Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

Fourteen

. “Okay, so let me go over this one more time, just so I know,” Beth began as she and Brian walked the short journey from his to Jimmy’s.

“Jimmy tends bar and is with Zara, who’s a stripper, Zack’s a golf instructor, and his girlfriend Alexa, or Lex, owns a vintage clothing store, Johnny is a mechanic, and is with Missy, who’s a florist, hoping to have her own shop very soon.”

Jimmy and Zara had decided to throw an impromptu gathering for the group so that Brian could introduce Beth to those she hadn’t already met and they could welcome her to the gang. It was a beautiful evening and they had decided to walk to the house the couple shared seeing as it was only a ten minute stroll from Brian’s. Stopping, Brian placed the crate of beer he had been carrying down on the sidewalk and took Beth’s hands in his own.

“They’re not gonna hold a pop quiz, Beth, just relax okay?”

“I just don’t want to walk in there and feel out of my depth, seeing as they’ve already met Jen, and apparently know all about me before I even get there,” Beth pointed out.

“That’s only because I have a nasty habit of talking about you,” Brian admitted. “Although Matt’s been singing your praises non-stop,” he added, picking up the beer in one arm and keeping hold of her hand as they started to walk again.

“Really?”

“Yeah, to the point that Jimmy asked if he wanted to date you instead of Jen!”

Beth rolled her eyes at the comment, starting to feel that maybe the evening ahead wouldn’t be as bad as she first believed. Within minutes they were walking up to Jimmy’s front door. Brian let go of Beth’s hand and opened it without knocking. The sound of laughter and voices told them they weren’t the first to arrive.

“Haner, it’s about time your ass showed up, everyone’s already a couple of beers deep.”

A petite olive skinned woman, with jet black spiked hair accentuated with hot pink tips stood in front of them, hands on her hips as she eyed the couple that had just entered through the front door.

“That’s because they’re a bunch of drunken bums and can’t wait for everyone to arrive,” Brian threw back at her with a grin, which the young woman returned.

Brian settled the crate down on a table near the door, and embraced her.

“Zara, this is Beth,” he introduced. “Beth, meet the woman who keeps Jimmy’s crazy ass under control.”

Zara extracted herself from Brian’s arms and greeted Beth with a warm hug.

“It’s wonderful to finally meet you Beth,” she stated happily.

“Likewise,” Beth answered. “And it’s my fault we’re a little late, sorry,” she added in apology.

“Honey, you never have to apologize, we know you have other important stuff going on in your life. Plus, I like blaming Brian, gives me an excuse to constantly be on his case about shit,” Zara stated, winking before linking her arm through Beth’s.

“I’m stealing your woman Haner, your playmates are in the lounge no doubt trying to figure out how they’re going to convince us to use my pole later. Be warned…never gonna happen!”

Before Brian even had a chance to answer, Beth found herself being steered towards the kitchen. All eyes settled on them, with Jen being the only face she knew, for which Beth was glad.

“About time!” Jen cried, quickly downing the shot of tequila that was in her hand before going over to hug Beth.

“I know, I know, “ Beth appeased. “Apparently it’s all Brian’s fault.”

“Oh I like you already,” Zara laughed as she went on to introduce her to the other two women in the kitchen.

“What’s your poison Beth?” asked Lex, a platinum blonde who looked as though she could double for Marilyn Monroe.

“Just a beer thanks Lex, no glass.”

“Did you hear that ladies, just a beer, no glass….Beth, where the hell have you been all of Brian’s life?” the brunette Beth now knew as Missy put to her.

“Missy!” Lex hissed. “We made a deal about tonight….no mentioning or making comparisons remember?”

Zara groaned loudly, knowing just what Missy was getting at. She glanced over at Beth.

“Let’s just say, someone else would have wanted the most expensive red wine she could find, and in a glass, cups were a no no.”

Beth simply nodded and smiled in reply, not wanting to get in the middle of some heated discussion over Clayre.

The subject was soon dropped and they fell into an easy conversation, each of the girls wanting to know more about the woman who had come into Brian’s life and put a smile back on his face. They seemed genuinely interested in hearing about Nate, with Zara even suggesting they get together one weekend when her nephew, who stayed with her and Jimmy once a month for a weekend, was visiting.

The conversation soon steered round to Colby, yet Beth didn’t feel awkward talking about him with her new found friends.

“Brian said that he’s threatened going for custody, even though he basically rejected Nate,” Lex stated.

“Yeah he has, but we’ve heard nothing yet. I filed for divorce at the beginning of the week, and we’re hoping that his lawyer has told him that because I’ve filed first and been the custodial parent for so long that he won’t stand a chance of getting Nate from me,” Beth explained.

“And you and Brian being together won’t affect that in any way?” Missy asked.

Beth shook her head.

“No. I have one night a week to myself and that’s when I see Brian, aside from when he stops by the shop to see me, and that’s how we’re going to keep it until Nate is more comfortable around him, then maybe Brian will come over one night or two in the week. We plan on taking him to the zoo next weekend, Nate knows and seems excited about seeing Brian again, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Zara gave her an approving smile, silently telling her that she liked what she heard.

“I’m going to go see how the idiots in the other room are doing,” she stated, leaving the kitchen.

Spotting Brian making his way to the kitchen, Zara pulled him to one side.

“Everything okay?” he asked, unsure of why he was being accosted.

“Marry her,” Zara told him.

Brian’s eyes widened a little, even though a smile crept onto his face.

“She’s adorable Brian, we love her…so make me happy and never let her go.”

Laughing, Brian wrapped an arm around Zara’s shoulders and pulled her into him, placing a kiss on the top of her head.

“As long as she wants me, then she’s gonna be around,” he replied.

Zara looked up at him, seeing a look she couldn’t remember witnessing before. She had never seen Brian look so calm and happy. He had always had a pensive air about him whenever Clayre was around, but now that had completely disappeared.

“Oh my fuck! She’s the one isn’t she,” Zara murmured, grinning as Brian let go of her so he could continue for the kitchen.

Brian looked over his shoulder, giving nothing but a wink of acknowledgement in reply.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay in updating this one. As always, thank you for the comments :) xx