Status: On Hiatus

When You Look Me In The Eyes

Need To Be Numb

Image

~Nick’s P.O.V.~
“I wonder what the girls are doing?” I asked bored.
“Didn’t they say they were going to go hang out somewhere?” Kevin asked.
“Yeah but we were too busy to pay attention.” Joe laughed.
“It’s getting late, maybe we should go find them.” Kevin said. It was already past nine and then sun had set long ago.
“Yeah let’s go.” I said and stood up. We walked around aimlessly for about twenty minutes and we didn’t find them.
“Maybe there back in the woods.” I suggested. Once we were near the woods we started to hear soft voices. It was them. As we approached them we saw them lying on a big rock.
“Hey guys.” Joe said as they saw us.
“Hey.” Lilly said.
“It’s getting late maybe you guys should come back to camp.” I said. Something was really off about them.
“I’m too tired to move.” Poppy said.
“Come on it’s late you guys.” Kevin said.
“You know what? I think I’ll just sleep here to night.” Poppy said rolling over and shutting her eyes.
“”Me too.” Lilly said and yawned. We waited a few seconds but then we heard their breathing even out. They fell asleep.
“”I’ll take Lilly.” Kevin sighed and picked her up.
“I’ll take Poppy, you get their stuff.” Joe said. After he picked her up I grabbed all of their stuff and then we all walked back to camp. It took us about ten minutes to get there. When we arrived we laid them down in theirs tents and everyone went to bed.

I lied awake for about two hours. Something wasn’t right. It’s like they weren’t themselves. I got out of my tent and sat down at the picnic table. As I was sitting there Poppy’s purse caught my eye. I knew I shouldn’t do what I was about to but I was just too curious. Inside I found two cups that smelled like booze, a baggie that smelled like weed, and her cigarettes. Well the booze and the weed explained why they were acting so weird but something still wasn’t right. I was going to continue to look through the purse but I heard noise coming from Poppy’s tent so I put everything back and just sat there.

I watched as someone struggled to get out of the tent. I heard numerous curses and it was honestly pretty funny. Finally that person found there way out and it turned out to be Poppy. She walked out and headed towards a tree without even noticing me. All of a sudden she started puking. Well that proved my theory on being drunk. I walked over there held her hair as she puked.

“Thanks.” She said seeing who I was.
“No problem.” I said.
“Can you get me some water?” She asked spitting to the side.
“Sure.” I said and went to the ice chest. I found a bottle and took it to her.
“You were drunk weren’t you?” I asked.
“Maybe.” She said sipping the water.
“You shouldn’t be drinking.” I said.
“I do a lot of things I shouldn’t do.” She said.
“I’m serious.” I said.
“I’m seriously hungry.” She said getting up. I followed her over to some of the food we brought and she pulled out a jar of peanut butter and two plastic spoons then she handed me a spoon.
“Thanks.” I said and we both sat down. We ate in silence for a few minutes.
“Come on let’s go.” She said getting up.
“Where are we going?” I asked as she grabbed my hand with the hand she wasn’t holding the peanut butter in.
“I want to show you something.” She said. We walked for a minute or two hand in hand until we stopped in the middle of the road for the camp ground.
“Ok what are we doing here?” I laughed. She just smiled at me for a second.
“You want to know something you don’t get in the city?” She asked smiling. I shrugged.
“Just look up.” She said and looked up. So I did look up, and it was amazing. I have never seen so many stars in my entire life. She was right. You don’t get this in the city.
“Wow.” I said.
“I knew you would like it.” She said softly. I was speechless as I stared at the stars.
“Sit down with me.” She said and sat on the dirt ground. We sat there for a few minutes without saying anything. All we could hear was the sound of the crickets and the rapids from the river.
“Why did you get drunk?” I asked her.
“It just feels good I guess.” She said.
“How?” I asked confused.
“I’m not sure. It just feels like your detached from your body almost. Like you’re not you. And if your not you then you don’t have worry about your problems or anything. You don’t have to think.” She said.
“You don’t like to think about everything do you?” I asked.
“No.” She whispered. We sat there for awhile just staring at the stars and eventually we went back to the camp site.

~Poppy’s P.O.V.~
After I showed Nick the stars we went back to camp. I’m glad I took him to see them. I always love to see them. The next day I woke up and I had a major head ache. I got up ate some breakfast and then took two vicodin. Lilly saw me take them and saw the question on her face.
“I just want to be numb today.” I said quietly and got up. Today was going to be a hard day for me. I was going to need to spend as much time as I could away from everyone. I went back to my tent and got changed. I hid my vicodin in my suit case and then I grabbed my bag and headed for the car.
“I’m going out. I’ll be back later.” I said to them all and got in.
“Wait!” Nick said. I saw him walk up to the car and stand by my door.
“What?” I asked.
“Where are you going?” He asked.
“Out. I just need to be alone.” I said and started the engine. He stepped away from the car and stood there for a second.
“Be careful ok?” He asked.
“Whatever.” I said and drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please.