Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

A Learnt Trade

Paulie and I drove up to the tavern; pulling into the cramped parking lot and surveying the area.

“Do ya see his car ‘round here?” Paulie asked me, as he peered out the dark windows.

I, doing the same as he, didn’t see his red ostentatious beater. “No. Dad said he’d be here by now.” I was getting anxious, my foot tapping against the mat.

“Cool down, bro. He’ll be comin’. Dad promised – you know how he is with promises.”

Paulie gave me a slanted eye knowing look.

I did know; very well.

“Well. Now we wait.” I declared, leaning back in my seat.

Paulie stretched his arms out, and put them behind his head. “So, what were you up to today? Mackin’ on your girlfriend?” He asked with a smile.

“Would you get off that? Jesus. I know I shouldn’t have told you shit, man.” My anger and frustrations were getting the better of me. I knew Paulie; I should’ve known he’d never let this down.

“Aw, come on! I’m your brother. You tell me everything, right? If I’m not in the know then who is?” He winked. “So, tell me. Give it up.”

“No I was not with Mel today.” I’ve thought about it, however. “What’d you want to hear?”

He sighed, “Well that’s boring. You playing the two day card?”

“No. I had to deal with a lot of shit today that’s all. Dad wanted Meg and I to scope out Angelo for any information even if he’s a rat. He’s a big mouthed rat is what he is.”

“You’re right about that. What a fuckin’ asshole. Him and Ed can go to hell. Ed…damn I thought that guy was with us! Now I feel like a f-in’ dumbass.”

“You don’t think I feel the same way? I thought that Dad wanted to talk to us about Jimmy.”

“Jimmy Luca?” Paulie inquired, confused.

I nodded. “He brought The Business up when Mel and I went to Vincent’s yesterday. I thought he was trying to expose me or somethin’.”

“Now that you mention it, I wouldn’t be too sure on him, bro. I was talkin’ to him on Wednesday and he seemed off. He could be workin’ for Giorgio.” Paulie scratched his chin, frowning.

I shook my head, “Sad.”

Just then, a red car sped into the lot. Paulie and I jumped forward at the same time. Once parked, I looked at Paul giving him a nod. He agreed, slamming the door, and locking it. We pressed forward toward the car, and were somewhat relieved when we saw Eddy proceeding to turn the key off, stepping out.

Paulie was the first to say something. “Hey, Eddy!” His happy go lucky façade worked perfectly as usual.

Eddy jumped, and spun around. “Oh, hey guys. Paul, Lance, how’s it all goin’?”

“Pretty good, actually.” Paulie put his arm around Ed, leading him around the corner. I flanked him, keeping an eye for any ears that may be listening. “How ‘bout you?”

“Oh, I’m go-” Eddy began.

“Great!” Paulie slammed him against the concrete wall, pinning him there with his hand cupping his throat. His voice came down to a whisper, “Now listen…I’ve got a bit of an issue with you. See, I hear you’ve been a little rat to me.”

“A rat?” He said, trying to act confused and unsuspecting.

“Yeah, a lying two-faced traitorous rat.” Paulie seethed. “Now, I don’t take your kind very well, Ed. I’ll give you ten fuckin’ seconds to spill.”

“I-I don’t know what you mean!” Ed’s eyes widened in fear.

“Ten…seconds.” Paulie said sternly.

He looked hastily over at me, and back to Paulie. A few moments later, Paulie tightened his grip on his neck, and raised it higher, higher…

“Okay! Okay!” Ed screeched, Paulie put him back on his feet. “I-I may have…well,” Ed stuttered, and hesitated.

“Spit it out, you bastard.” Paulie said, impatiently.

“I may have sp-spoken with Giorgio.” Ed eyed Paulie’s rage-induced expression. “He…he said he’d,” Ed gulped, “give me more money you know. I’ve gotta support my wife and kids!”

He glanced over at me, “Lance, you know how it is! Please, guys it’s nothing personal.”
“Oh it’s fucking personal when you give information to another group. Do you realize how much I hate your kind? You spineless leech! Oh, you’ll remember how much you’ve wronged the Capra’s.” He socked Ed in the gut with his unoccupied hand. Ed moaned, and whimpered.

Paulie continued the merciless onslaught of punches, and twisting of limbs until they broke. He left no pity for him. I frequently looked over my shoulder to see if any of the smokers had come outside. So far, no one was near us to hear. They were all still in the bar getting drunk off their asses.

Ed was motionless when Paulie finally cracked him across the face.

“Damn. You render him unconscious?” I observed.

“Yup. People’ll think he’s passed out from being shitfaced.” Paulie walked by his beater, and kicked the front fender leaving a good sized scratch. “I should’ve brought my fuckin’ bat to leave a real dent in that car.”

I gave him a look. “We did our job, let’s just go.”

“Are you as pissed as I am?! ‘Cause it really ain’t soundin’ like it!”

“Keep your voice down.” I glanced around. “Of course I am. I just think we got our revenge. We won’t have to worry about him anymore. What do you say we go get some drinks over by our place?”

Paulie spit a wad of saliva down on the asphalt and nodded, “Yeah I could use a damn beer. His fuckin’ head is still as hard as ever, that bastard.”

I grinned. “I thought it would be.”

Paulie gave me a disgusted look. “You asshole.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Paulie's the best (:
Got the inspiration for the two from my older brothers.
You could say I'm experienced! *rolls eyes in their direction*
Hope y'all liked it!
Be updating.
x. peace!