Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Trustworthy

I sped my car around the corner, and into Ma and Dad’s driveway. I sighed, there was Meg’s car, Vinn’s, and even Paul’s. I used to be the late one – usually because of being at Melanie’s dorm and having to drive here afterward. I had hoped it wasn’t painstakingly obvious that I was now seeing her again because of my lateness this time, but with my family nothing was ever certain. Not with Paul and his big mouth.

I stepped out of my Caddy, and the keys jingled as I stuffed them into my jean pocket. I cracked my back, and came up to the door, pushing my way through. I gravitated toward the commotion in the kitchen, where we always decided was the best place to have a meeting. Where there was food, there was bound to be peace. Usually.

I sidled up the edge of the kitchen door and waited for them to take notice I was there. Pops, the head of the table, saw me first. He motioned irritably for me to sit down. “Hurry up, Lance. Take a seat.”

I shuffled to the one open seat next to Paul, which was especially reserved for me. I leaned back, tired to be up so early. Dad fixed his eyes on me, and he asked the one question I’d wished he wouldn’t. “Where were you?” He demanded sternly.

Paul held an amused smirk on his face. “C’mon Loverboy, tell us.”

Once hearing the connotation, Loverboy, Dad groaned, massaging his temples. “You cannot be seeing that girl again.”

“That girl has a name, Pops.” I bounced my leg up and down in habit. “I may be seeing Melanie again.” I shrugged my shoulders.

Ma came up behind me, kissing me on the cheek. “I knew that wouldn’t be for long.” She said, practically beaming.

Pops gave her an exasperated look. “Don’t encourage him, Elodie.”

She gave him a steely eyed gaze. “And why not? She’s the best one I’ve met. Well, the only one I’ve met.” She added in consternation.

Paul cracked a laugh. “That may be for your own benefit.”

Ma guffawed. “Surely you have better taste, Lance—”

Dad interrupted, to my relief. “Enough of this talk. We are here on business.”

The whole room went silent.

He cleared his throat, speaking in a deadly quiet voice. “We’ve gotten word that something fishy is going to go down tonight. I have a good bet that it involves us, so I want to know exactly what it is. I suspect Giorgio’s ego is damaged from last time and he wants revenge.”

Paul resembled a peacock fluffing his feathers. “Hell yeah. They got nothin’ on us, right bro?” He nudged me with an elbow.

Dad, even though he was trying to be no-nonsense, didn’t look perturbed by Paul’s outburst. “So, we got watch duty today.”

I groaned. Watch duty. That was the worst. Doing nothing but driving around and inspecting everything. That’s usually the job Paul and I get stuck with because Ma doesn’t want us to be doing too much of the “dangerous” work. Bullshit.

“Eh,” Dad reproached, wagging a finger, “This is for your own sake. Paul, Lance – you know where to go, ‘kay? Don’t give me any shit on this.”

“So what exactly are we supposed to look out for?” I raised my eyebrows, crossing my arms.

Dad gave us a look that was accusing us of being idiots. “Think about it. Can count on seein’ Ed, the little snake. The main hitters for them – Marino, Conti, Romano – you pick. Their main hangout is in Queens.”

“Don’t you think they’d change up the location if we’ve been on their trail?” I asked, strategizing.

Dad shrugged. “Possible. If you want to expand your areas—”

I curled my nose, “Ah, never mind then.”

“Lance,” Dad said disapprovingly, “If this may help us, then you should be doing whatever you can. You want to go places other than Queens and Brooklyn – do it. Just make sure that you do all your rounds and come back.”

I sighed, defeated.

“I’ll have Macharelli and the boys staking out the bars, you lightweights just scan the streets, bene?”

Paul replied for me, “Yeah, yeah Pops.”

Dad pointed his finger, “Don’t be a smartass.”

Paul grinned.

---------------------------

By the time 6:30 rolled around, I was beginning to regret my decision to see Greg. I was more confused, and emotionally distraught than I’ve ever been. Somewhere in the ongoings of last night I’d decided to shove my status of being a virgin out the window and simultaneously cheat on Greg by doing so. Not that Greg and I were serious – not at all, but I don’t think I’ve ever acted so morally incorrect before.

With having done immoral deeds, I had no clue where I stood with Lance, for that matter. Were we back together? Why did I sound so relieved to hear myself say that? Wasn’t I on my way to getting over him for good? With a heavy sigh, I concluded that I wasn’t nearly as close as I thought I had been. My lapse in judgment must have been my subconscious telling me to stop kidding myself and get real. And if I was due to have a lapse in judgment, I’d rather it be with Lance.

In choosing what to wear, I went for discouraging and boring. In rejecting men, I usually did it while making them feel like they were getting the better part of the deal than I was. That was difficult to do without being cliché, however. Knee high black boots covered by gray slacks and a turtle neck sweater. My hair tied into a ponytail. That definitely said unavailable, did it not?

I started up my Alero, not having used it for quite a while. I took advantage of the subway stations as much as I possibly could to save money. I didn’t know precisely where Vincent’s was – even if Lance did take me there before. Bethany Lynn had bought me a GPS on my first Christmas here so I could “get used to this big, scary place” without getting lost. Bless her.

Vincent’s wasn’t incredibly difficult to find. There was an immediate sense of déjà vu when I pulled into the lot, seeing the private, remote docks and waterside. I sighed, disheartened that the place I had a good memory of was going to hold another memory that was not so good. Locking my car up, I turned to face the quaint Italian restaurant, scoping the place for Greg. He was not waiting outside, so he must’ve got us a table inside.

Propping the door open, I stepped inside seeing familiar faces being the staff. I went up to the podium who was being run by the peppy college girl that catered to me last time. “Hi,” I said.

“Hello,” she smiled, “need a table?”

“Ah, no, one of my friends is here. Greg Luca?” I asked.

She scanned her chart laid out in front of her, and motioned to the group of tables in the other room. “He’ll just be right in there for ya.”

“Thank you,” I responded, relieved that we weren’t going to be out in the open. I meandered through the entryway until I found him sitting at a booth, twirling his drink around in his left hand. I never noticed before that he was left handed. I walked up to the table with a half smile. “Hi.”

He nodded, “Hey Mel.”

I slid into the booth, and extracted myself out of the jacket I brought. “So—”

“I wanted to talk to you,” Greg said ominously.

I was taken aback at his tone. “Yes.”

He gazed up at me, forgetting his drink for a moment. There was a moment of silence before he said, “When were you going to tell me you were seeing Lance again?”

Breath caught in my throat. How could he have known about last night? “I—” I began.

He let out a breath, clearly frustrated. “I knew it even before it happened. When you kept denying it. Apparently last night showed you aren’t.”

My mouth hung open, astonished that I was going to have to go on the defensive. “Last night wasn’t planned, Greg. I had no idea he was coming.”

His mouth grew in a thin line. “Which makes it even worse. If you didn’t know, you could’ve told him no. You had the option, Mel.”

My eyebrows pinched together. For some irrational reason, I was getting upset. “So it was Jimmy that told you he was there?”

“I’m glad someone told me.” Greg said bitterly. “It’s obvious you weren’t going to.”

“Really.” I commented, my voice beseeching. “For your information I was coming tonight to tell you what happened.”

“Before or after I called to make these plans?” Greg added snidely.

“I am not the type of woman to – do that sort of thing – without thinking of the consequences. I knew it was wrong, I knew I was making a mistake. I would’ve had the class to tell you.”

“But not the class to refrain from cheating on me.” Greg deduced.

I huffed out a breath. Out of nothing else to say, I went for a different approach. “You wouldn’t understand.”

Greg laughed harshly. “Really. Well I think I may be able to sum it up. He came over, you didn’t see it coming, he convinced you that you still liked him, and you slept with him. Am I pretty much right?”

I crossed my arms over my chest in defiance, even though he was spot on. “It is more involved than that I would say.”

“Right, right. You finally came to the realization that you were still in love with him. I’ve heard it before, Mel.” After a pause in his rant, he said. “I thought you were different, Mel. Different from other girls.”

Frowning, I said, “You caught me at a bad time, Greg. I am very sorry. Just know that I thought you were a great man. That I wish—”

He shook his head, “Don’t sugar coat it, Mel.”

“I am not trying to. I’m just trying to say—”

“We’re done.” Greg finished.

----------------------

It was my sixth round of the night, and I was beginning to hate my job. I’d checked everywhere from SoHo, to Queens, to Madison Ave. Giorgio’s clan was nowhere to be found, and I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. Dad always called these errands with inaccurate information and it was almost always a complete waste of time. I drummed my fingers on my leather steering wheel thinking of Mel. What she was doing, where she was, what she was thinking about. I felt bad for leaving her there this morning and I’d do anything to make it up to her. I was a product of my stupid ass decisions.

I began to divulge a plan that involved me buying her roses, taking her out to dinner, and redoing what I had not done right the first time. Waking up so that she was still in my arms, and we were talking about how great last night was, not anything mentioning Greg. On my way to the florists, I spotted a familiar black Rolls-Royce Phantom propped against the sidewalk. I pulled along the side of the road, and passed by slowly, scoping the place out. There was a commotion going on, and I could hear Ed Rossi’s rat voice calling out orders. Fuck.

I seized my cell phone waiting in my cup holder and dialed Paul’s number. He picked up on the first ring. “Yo.” He answered.

“We got fuckin’ problems.” I replied fervently.

“Shit, where is he?” Paul demanded, amped up with this new information.

“On the corner of 28th street. Bring back up. Looks like a crowd,” I added.

“Got ya. Be there in fifteen.” Paul said, then hung up.

I stuck my phone in my pocket, and faced the alleyway once more. Scanning the scene once more, I stared into the beady eyes of Ed Rossi and he smirked. “Want to join the party, Lance?”

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took a long time for me to stew over! I wanted to get it just right :)
Thoughts? Were you expecting something like this?
Feedback is appreciated!!
Love,
Lauren.