Sequel: The Aftermath
Status: Comepleted! Check out the sequel, The Aftermath.

No Time To Bleed

Take This Lung Full

“Alex!” Fire erupted up and down the wall, blocks of cinder and cement went everywhere. Smoke clogged the air in a fatal brew. The bat felt as if it were melting in my hands. “Alex!”

The last scream of his name sent coughs through my lungs, tears stinging down my eyes to stop the view.

“You need to get up!” A voice growled.

A sick smile crossed my face, a smile in the midst of death. The hands went to my shoulder, tripping my feet ahead forward and forcing me.

“Alex, where were you?” I gasped.

“I’m not Alex.”

The hands shoved me down. The smoke was clearer than ever before. I’d been thrown down on a bed of grass instead. A vast stretching field of just sky and grass was here.

“I’m not Alex.”

Instead this was a man, chest heaving and eyes brooding with rage. Jaw was clenched beyond regular fashion and arms shaking.

“I’ll never be Alex, but if you don’t look hard enough you’ll never see what’s right in front of you.”

I picked myself from up off the floor. “What do you mean? Who are you?”

Tears filled the man’s eyes. His skin was a glistening tan of powerful brown. His eyes were brooding dark. He whipped around, pacing angrily.

“Dammit Jasmine! You still don’t know who I am after all these years! I kept you! I protected you!”

My footsteps went back a few more. My heart began to pound.

“Dad?” I uttered. Tears began to singe down my cheeks. Steam poured from them in their scolding temperatures, burning the skin along the way. “What are you doing here? You were gone.”

He ran up to me. “I was never gone! You chose to leave! Remember when I begged you to stay and you told me I would never be good father! Do you remember that?”

I shook my head. A rock was embedding its way into my chest, hurting the veins and chambers there. I couldn’t breathe.

“I never said that. I- You made me leave.” My own fingers clenched together in fists.

“I never made you do anything. You chose to go. You chose to be the daughter that you were, a disgrace!” I was crying more than ever now. “You told Gladis everything and you ruined everything! You ruined our lives!”

His hand dug into my chest, shoving me back before driving a knee into my ribs.

I went down to the soft grass, insides as numb as I ever remembered. He’d never hit me that often, just when he was beyond mad.

I just stayed there in the grass until the scenery changed again.

Now, I was just in a town of ashes.

I lifted my dust caked cheek from the ground and looked around with teary eyes. Everything was completely burned down. I walked through the streets for what must have been hours. The streets were a snow of the various shades of ash, all breathing death and dark into the air. Everything was dead.

Just at the edge of a road, I stopped. A picture in a frame was thinly covered by the dust. My hands went for the edges of the frame and I lifted the thing away from its burial.

The picture was one of me and Ricky.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quite a sad dream. Jasmine is starting face her inner demons.
And with the little you know of Jasmine's dad, what do you think of him?