‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

The Truth Will Shine Through

James’ eyes turned towards me. His smile no longer seemed sweet and innocent, they were different. They seemed older than his young body. He cocked his head to the side and hopped down from his place at the table.
His footsteps echoed in my head, I gasped and backed up, hitting the back of the fridge as I did so.
“Lilly are you okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost” he said stepping in closer to me. I held my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming.
“It’s only me” he said innocently as he took a hold of my hand. I looked down at the small child holding it; my larger hand shook in his little ones.
“Do you feel sick again?” I shook my head and pulled my hand away from him. Snowball waltzed into the room and rested on the table. James looked over at her and stepped back.
The cat seemed to almost glare at him. James looked back at me then back at Snowball. I remember Jack saying something about demons not liking animals or animals not liking demons, but I can’t remember which.
Snowball jumped off the table and walked over to me, rubbing herself against my leg. I quickly picked up the cat and held it tight against my chest. I’m alone in the house with this child. I know I should call Jack, but I’m scared that James will catch on before he gets here.
There’s another side of me though that still wants to protect this little human, or at least the humanity inside of him. Demons are liars, so I don’t know how much of his history is actually true.
I knew that if I told Jack, he’d protect me. He’d protect me by killing James. That is if he doesn’t know already. He is an angel, he should be able to tell what James is, yet he hasn’t made a move to hurt him.
“Lilly…?” James spoke slowly.
“Y-yes?” I answered, trying to keep my voice even.
“May I go outside?”
“U-um sure” I said biting on the tip of my thumb. He can’t be a demon, can he? I mean they have to feed, yet he barely goes out of the house, but when he does he’s not gone that long.
“Okay” he said running towards the door. A thought hit me as he shut the door. I don’t watch over him at night, what if he’s been sneaking out? This can’t be happening! I’m so stupid; I should have done this when he first arrived.
I didn’t though; I was so over whelmed by my want to take care of this child, that I didn’t think he may not be a child at all. I ran upstairs as quick as I could, throwing things around.
“Damn it, where is it?” I muttered to myself. I finally found it, tucked away in my drawer. I held the cross in my trembling hand. I kissed it before taking the small box with me. I looked outside the window, James was sitting down on the grass, everything is fine.
“Yeah, everything’s fine” I whispered to myself.
I turned the TV on and sat down on the couch; Snowball had followed me in and curled up by my feet. The news was on, and a young anchor woman was talking about some fair thing that would be going on this weekend.
“Thank you Becca” an older man said.
“In other news, the bodies of more than ten homeless men and women were found last night in a remote location in the woods. No word yet on who these people are, or who might be behind it, the details we do have seem to be that these are random killings and the bodies seem to be only a few days apart in their deaths, police are working tirelessly to find this suspect” I covered my mouth in disbelief.
It’s all coming together now, this is really happening. What the fuck is James? I jumped as the front door slammed open. I grabbed the cross and held it tight against my chest. I could hear James walking through the kitchen.
“What are you doing?” he asked as he stopped in front of the couch.
“N-nothing” I said tucking the cross behind my back.
“James did you get hurt?” I asked noticing a little bit of dried blood on his lips. He looked at me before touching his lips.
“Oh, I bit my lip by accident” he said, whipping it away.
“Why don’t you go back outside and play some more okay?” I said softly. He gave me a weird glance before nodding and walking back towards the door. Once I heard it click I jumped up and ran to the phone.
I have to have Jack here. I can’t be alone right now. I dialed his number, by this point tears were streaming down my face, and I was close to hysterics.
“Pick up, pick up, pick up” I begged.
“Hello?” Jack’s voice said on the other line.
“JACK! JACK PLEASE COME HOME!!” I screamed.
“Lilly, baby, baby, calm down, what’s wrong?” he asked, a panicked edge to his voice.
“I-I just need you, please!” I cried into the phone.
“Is it the voices again?”
“Y-yes” I lied, just wanting him here.
“Okay baby, just hold on I’ll be there in a few minutes”
“O-okay” I cried.
I looked around the room and slid down against the wall. I hugged my knees and sobbed. The minutes felt like hours until I heard the click of the door again. I covered my mouth and waited, not knowing if it was James or Jack.
“Lilly?” Jack’s deep voice called out my name.
“JACK!” I cried jumping up and wrapping my arms around his neck.
“Oh god baby, what’s wrong you’re shaking like a leaf”
“They’re going to get me” I sobbed.
“No they’re not, I promise you”
“Jack”
“Where’s James?”
“O-outside”
“Alright” he said seemingly relieved. Jack held me in his arms, stroking my hair softly. I was still shaking as he led me over to the couch and sat down next to me. He started to get up, but I latched onto him, climbing into his lap.
“Baby, calm down I’m just going to get you a glass of water”
“NO! I’m not thirsty, just don’t leave me” I begged.
“Okay, I won’t honey you need to calm down, no one is going to hurt you”
“I’m so scared” I whispered.
He leaned in kissing me on the lips, holding my frail body in his arms. His wings were out and I could tell he was on full alert. Then why doesn’t he know what James is?