‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

A Demon's Mark

I’d calmed down a bit, now that I was in Jack’s arms. I wanted to tell him what James was, hiding this from him isn’t a good thing. I know that. He needs to know the truth. I can’t bring myself to do that though, if I do, there’s no doubt what will happen if I do. I know he’ll kill James, without a doubt.
I can’t help but still love James. I view him as my kid, I’d rescued him, I’d cared for him. Even though he’s a demon, maybe he’s not evil, or as relatively speaking in demon terms. I looked up at Jack, who had drifted off to sleep.
His arms were still wrapped protectively around my waist in his sleep. I snuggled back up to his chest and sighed. What am I going to do? I’m too scared to just talk to James about this. How would you even bring that up in a conversation? Oh hey, I know you’re a demon, care to explain?
Even if he is just a little kid, he’s strong. A lot stronger than me, I’d bet. If I didn’t tell Jack then he’d just go to work tomorrow, and I’d be alone again with James. It’s not like I can just ask him to stay here tomorrow, one, we need the money and two then he’d know there was something wrong.
Jack moaned, waking up from his slumber. He looked down at and smiled.
“Are you feeling better?”
“A little” I said quietly.
“Well that’s good” he beamed.
The pale blue sky had turned a deep blue as the sun set over the horizon. I hadn’t even noticed that James had come back until he soft patter of his feet signaled his arrival. He poked his head around the corner, his eyes seemed scared, anxious almost.
“Lilly, I’m tired will you tuck me into bed?” he asked timidly. My heart jumped, Jack must have sensed my unease, because his grip on me tightened. James bit his lip, almost as if pleading for me to say yes.
“I-I guess so” I said, lifting myself off Jack’s lap. James smiled and took my hand rubbing his cheek against it.
“Come on” he said pulling me towards the stairs. I looked back at Jack who gave me a confused glance.
“Lilly is something wrong, you don’t seem like you’re feeling well?” he asked, sitting down on the edge of his bed.
“I-I’m just a little bit tired, I’ll be fine” I said forcing a smile.
“Oh-okay” he said not questioning me anymore. His innocent little eyes looked up at me, they seemed different somehow. Not so cold and frightening as eailer. These weren’t the eyes of some blood thirsty monster, this was a lost little boy.
“Tuck me in?” he asked, pulling back the covers and laying down. I smiled and tucked the worn sheets around his small body, planting a kiss on his forehead.
“I love you Lilly” he whispered, those big eyes looking up at me still.
“I love you too James” I whispered back.
“I’m sorry you don’t feel good” he said, kissing my cheek. I covered where his lips had been and chuckled before turning out the lights and closing the door.
“You aren’t trying to steal my other half from me again are you?” the voice in my head questioned. I covered the sides of my head, begging for it to go away. I felt drained.
“Oh well, it’s not like I care about him anyways, Oh Lilly you’re so ignorant, so blissfully unaware” it cooed.
The voice dissipated as I heard Jack’s footsteps coming up the stairs. His emerald eyes lit up when he saw me, taking me back into his arms.
“You need your sleep, let’s get you to bed” he said in a soft voice. I nodded, resting my head against his chest. His strong arms picked me up, carrying me into our room, before setting me down on the bed.
“I love you so much, don’t you ever forget that” he said, holding the sides of my face and looking me dead in the eyes.
“I love you too Jack, no matter what”
“Everything’s goanna be okay” he said, holding me close.
“Let’s get you ready for bed” he said, leaving momentarily before returning with something for me to sleep in and a wash cloth.
“You look exhausted”
“Yeah, I feel it” I commented, rubbing my eyes.
Jack took the wash cloth which he’d soaked with warm water, and gently wiped my cheeks and around my eyes, taking my makeup that had run down my face off. His touch felt good.
“Here put this on” he said, handing me some sleep shorts and a white tank top. I slipped off my skinny jeans and T-shirt, replacing them with the new clothes. Jack sat beside me and brought my hair back in a ponytail, tying it back.
“I’ve got to go take a shower, but then we can cuddle up and go to sleep okay?” he said, brushing my lose bangs back. I nodded, lying down.
I heard Jack start the water and for some reason this tiredness engulfed me like water around a drowning victim. I yawned, pulling the covers over my body, closing my eyes. It wasn’t long before I’d fallen asleep and my mind had begun to play a movie behind my lids.
“Raphael” the voice that had haunted me throughout the past few days called my name. This time something was different, I wasn’t scared, and I wasn’t in pain. I felt peaceful as if under the power of some sedative.
“Huh?” I moaned, confused. I heard him chuckled before I felt a tightness in my lower gut. It wasn’t one of agony or discomfort, no. A soft moan escaped my life as I felt his cool lips press against the inside of my thigh.
His long blond hair tickled the inside of my leg as he looked up at me. A warm feeling had come over me, I was at peace. I gasped for breath as he drew a boney finger down my side.
I blushed, turning my head to the side as he began to run his tongue over where he had kissed. More moans of pleasure passed through my lips as he got closer.
My eyes shot open as a piercing pain shot through my left leg. I jumped up, unable to scream. Blood dripped from his thin lips, and evil smirk on his pale face. High up my thigh was a full bite mark, blood oozing from the teeth wounds.
“Lilly baby wake up!” Jack said franticly. I opened my eyes to realized that I’d been screaming out in pain. Jack had a worried expression on his face, water was still dripping from his wet hair.
“Sweetheart, what happened?”
“A-A bad dream that’s all” I panted out.
“I’m sorry baby, let me dry my hair and then I’ll hold you” he said, kissing my forehead.

I made an excuse that I had to go to the bathroom, and rushed into the small room, locking the door. I tore off my shorts to see a huge black and blue bruise on the inside of my left thigh, a clear bite mark impression.