For What You Are

Take the Hint

“Are you seriously, not going to leave my side?” Kara asked in astonishment. “A bit overprotective don’t you think?”

“Not when it comes to you,” he replied, looking around the room and sneaking his arm through hers as they walked in. She sighed and let him lead her into the masses.

“Wonderful to see you here,” Hailey said to someone Kara didn’t know before turning to see her and Damon and walking directly towards them. “Hide me!” she whispered to Kara.

“What’s the matter?” Damon asked before Kara could.

“I wasn’t asking you,” she said shortly, evil-eying him and looking back at Kara. “Every single one of Kale’s friends is attempting to flirt with me. And they all know that we’re together!”

“Mm,” Kara murmured before continuing meaningfully. “Some guys just don’t know when to take a hint.”

“I can take a hint!” Damon said.

“No you can’t,” Hailey scoffed.

“Is everyone in this room against me?” he asked incredulously.

“Yep,” Kara and Hailey responded in unison.

“Then perhaps I’ll go find someone who appreciates my companionship. Ladies.”

“Good luck,” Hailey called after him before turning back to Kara. “Probably gone to go and trail after the next pretty girl he sees.”

“Gives me hope that someday soon I’ll be rid of him,” Kara said before inspiration struck. “What’s this uh, history, I hear about between you and Damon?”

“What,” Hailey said, her expression changing drastically.

“Are you okay?” Kara questioned as she saw her face change before her eyes.

“Yeah,” Hailey replied hurriedly. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Your eyes,” Kara started.

“What about ’em?”

“They…um…never mind,” she frowned as she remembered the distinct change she had momentarily seen in Hailey’s eyes. “You and Damon?”

“Never existed as far as I am concerned,” Hailey said making Kara even more suspicious. “I’ll see you later.”

She hurried off in the opposite direction leaving Kara standing alone in a corner. Kara walked across the room dodging the ever amassing bodies on the dance floor until she neared the opposite end of the room. Looking around for someone to talk to, namely Kale, she found herself looking at Damon Salvatore who stood at the other end of the room – kissing another girl.

She looked purposefully in the opposite direction until she spotted Kale. “Hello,” Kara said as she ran towards him. He held a drink and was talking to someone who promptly left when Kara arrived, but not before giving her a once over with an unnerving glance. And something about those eyes seemed familiar…

“Hey Kara,” Kale said, “Glad to see you could make it.”

“Yeah,” Kara replied, looking back at the now empty wall where Damon and that girl had been. “Me too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, it is quite short, but i've been busy contemplating how i am going to get through another school year when i absolutely hate it. Anywho, i will be going back through this story sometime in the next week and editing it because i re-read it a few days ago and i realised that i wasn't consistent in my perspective for most of the story. It's quite annoying. If any of you spot errors in future chapters, please share. I dislike switching between 1st and 3rd person, but when you right most of your stories in first person, third becomes a challenge.
Tell me what you think, I'm getting a bit lonely as i write more. =]

Nita.xx