Status: The more comments, the better chance of an update ^_^

The Seven Deadly Sins

An Irresistible Challenge

I stood with my face fixed in a horror that I had not known, King Ivan’s expression quickly turned into a smirk as he saw my embarrassment. The pudgy man who had interrupted us was speaking but I could not fully comprehend his words, I was far too focused on the terrible misstep I had made with King Ivan.

“Sir Charles,” He interrupted the man, his sharp gray eyes did not drop mine, “May I introduce Duchess Elizabeth Memorium? She is the new Lady in Waiting for our lovely Queen Jayna.”

“Oh,” The man, sir Charles I presumed, turned to me with a rather pompous expression, “It is lovely to meet you my Lady Elizabeth,” he bowed as low as he could in the unflatteringly tight doublet, “I hope your trip was well.”

“It went very well, thank you my Lord,” I curtsied to him and smiled as warmly as I could, attempting to help cover up the embarrassing situation. I gave a soft laugh and tried to appear as if there was no reason for any dispute over my virtue as a Lady, “I am unused to rain such as this, does the weather always become like this?”

“No it does not,” Ivan answer before Sir Charles could open his mouth, Ivan flashed a small smile at me, “It seems you have just caught us on a poor day, the weather is usually most fair in England’s lands.”

“I should look forward to it then,” I kept the smile on my face but made a strong effort not to look too long at Ivan. His stormy gray eyes sparkled dangerously at me as I tried to hold my composure; I looked to Charles in fear that he’d see my thoughts plastered on my face. The chubby man in front of me seemed to see nothing for which I was truly thankful.

“If I should be so bold my Lady Elizabeth,” Charles started politely, beginning a poor attempt at flattery, “You look absolutely nothing like your sister Lady Rosalie.”

“Is this a good thing my Lord?” I asked, trying to keep all senses of venom out of my voice. I despised it when people compared me to my sister Rosalie, no matter how they phrased it, it always seem to come out with her being the better. Charles’ pudgy blue eyes widened at my words, alerting me that my attempt at keeping my voice clear hadn’t worked. A small smirk made its way across Ivan’s face as he watched me in amusement, I could not help myself when it came to my temper most times.

“Of course it is My Lady,” Charles stammered, he glanced at Ivan for assistance but it was to no avail. I raised a dark eyebrow at him and felt a bit of pity for this sad man, I decided to ease up and be somewhat kind.

I smiled coldly at him, enjoying the somewhat entranced reaction I got from him when I did this, “It is an odd thing, is it not? My sister and I were born twins yet we look nothing alike.”

“It is something you and I share Miss Elizabeth,” Ivan interceded, Charles breathed a sigh of relief and Ivan’s expression turned thoughtful, “My brother and I were born twins and yet he is blonde while I am not,” he laughed quietly but his expression seemed to harden at the mention of a brother. I could feel myself likening to him and I hated it. Ivan met my gaze for a moment and raised an eyebrow, smirking at me slightly. I quickly looked away, feeling rather embarrassed about him noticing my slight intrigue.

I had a very good instinct with men; it was quite easy to see in which category they fell upon first meeting. And my instinct told me that Ivan was a charmer who took the slightest hints from a woman as full permission to start an affair. Something I would have to be extremely cautious about when I was in his presence, which would unfortunately be rather often.

“It is quite late,” Charles’ voice was rather clipped now, alerting me that the look Ivan and I exchanged did not go unnoticed, “Lady Elizabeth, you must be quite tired from your journey. I recommend you retire to bed for you have a rather event filled day tomorrow.”

“Thank you my Lord,” I smiled as warm as I could at him, hoping that he’d be somewhat distracted from the previous mistakes I had made. I hadn’t made such a wonderful impression on Sir Charles, being caught unescorted with the King of England at this time of night was one terrible mishap but for him to catch the spark I felt when Ivan mentioned his brother would bring it to a whole other level. It was certainly not a virtuous start for my return home, I hoped that it would not ruin all other chances I had of being set apart from my…frivolous family. I turned from Charles’ now stunned expression to Ivan; I curtsied low and avoided his gaze, “It was lovely meeting you Your Majesty.”

“The same to you Miss Elizabeth,” Ivan smiled at me, flashing his pearly white teeth. My breath hitched slightly at the startling show of beauty, this smile sent immense butterflies through my system and unfortunately, he caught them. His eyes narrowed at me and I quickly looked away from him, starting down the hall without daring to take a look back. I prayed that I would find my room without trouble and Ivan would not know where its location would be. I heard Ivan and Charles exchange a few words behind me and then heavy footsteps leading away from me, I increased my pace but did not hear anything coming after me.

I sighed softly and paused whilst turning around the corner of a hallway. My breathing came out somewhat rushed as I realized the full effect the King had on me, it was frighteningly startling. I had never encountered a man who could make me feel so wobbly with a single smile.

“Miss Elizabeth, wait- are you alright?” I opened my eyes to see Ivan’s beautiful face peering at me worriedly; he stood alone in front of me with his gray eyes burning into mine. He reached a pale hand to touch my arm but I jerked back automatically, frightened of what his touch would do to me if I allowed it.

“Sire, please, I wish to retire to bed,” I looked away from him and refused to meet his stormy gaze. I went to move away without a real idea of where exactly I was going, I prayed uselessly that he would leave me be. But Ivan’s hand shot out and grabbed my arm, sending an array of sparks through the thick fabric of my gown. I struggled briefly in his grasp but the strong grip of a King famous for dueling compared to my frail frame that hasn’t seen a day of work gave me no chance.

“Miss Elizabeth, please, just listen to me for a moment,” Ivan grabbed my other arm and pressed me against the stone wall behind me. Against my better judgment, I looked up at him with wide eyes and froze. Fear was sprouting quickly in my system, I was not used to losing control like this so fast. He met my gaze with an oddly calm one of his own, “Now that I have your attention, I would like to ask you something if I should be so bold.”

“If I should be so rude as to say get your hands off of me before I start screaming,” My voice was meant to come out in a hiss but it trembled pitifully. A part of me was screaming impurities at myself, this was in no way to speak to a king. Ivan raised an eyebrow at me but did not chastise me; in fact he seemed more amused than threatened.

“Do you like me Miss Elizabeth?” Ivan asked quietly, I looked at him incredulously and shook my head, not able to find words. He took a small step forward so the space between us was lessened, I bit down on my lip in an attempt to stay present and not give into his overwhelming presence and my own destructive desires.

“I think you do,” he murmured, I made the mistake of meeting his stormy eyes full on and something changed in the atmosphere. The black pupil of his eye seemed to widen, blending into the sharp gray iris to create a swirling vortex that drew me towards him. I found myself leaning towards him of my own free will, suddenly feeling a desperate need to lose myself in him. My mind had gone completely blank from his strange gaze.

It was only when his hand let go of my arm and trailed down to my waist did some common sense fly into my mind. I gasped and shoved at his chest, not caring how inconceivably rude this was. My face was on fire as I realized what a humongous mistake I had made, I had let him touch me, I had let him know that I was attracted to him. Thankfully, Ivan did not stop me in my pursuit to get away from him but he would not let me leave without the last word.

“This will not be our final meeting Miss Elizabeth.” His voice was dark as it rang in the hallway. My only response to him was a single dirty look as I hurried away towards where I hoped my chambers would be.

My head was whirling and I barely noticed where I was walking as I rushed down the hall, what the bloody hell is wrong with you Elizabeth?! If someone was to see me, they would probably think I had used too much rogue on my cheeks for they felt like they were flaming.

I had broken almost every single rule I had ever been taught as a girl tonight. But this was not what had me in such a whirlwind; I had affairs with men far below me many times before. It was the fact that I had broken a promise to myself; I had lost control and let the situation get out of hand with the very worst person.

King Ivan.

And it had been so easy for him.

A single smile from him had sent my heart into a titter, he was utterly gorgeous beyond belief but what had happened with his eyes? It was like his eyes had become like a vortex, a rope that had pulled me in and made me want to cross lines I had never even considered crossing before.

I would have to avoid Ivan at all costs, the mere physical attraction I had to him was dangerous but I could sense a mental one forming as well. Within the brief encounter we had, I already found him quite witty, extremely charming and clearly a challenge that my irresponsible side longed to take part of.

But I had seen too many a woman fall from grace because of dalliances such as these. The worst case being my mother, who carried an infamously long affair with a King, but when he died she took a strong fall. For the Queen had outlived the Kind and was certainly not merciful when it came to my mother’s fate at court.

“Miss Elizabeth, please wait!” I stopped at the sound of a young girl’s voice and looked over my shoulder, sighing in relief as I saw it was only Marian. She hurried towards me, lifting up her dark blue skirts without modesty to bare her stocking covered calves. Her expression seemed set in a permanently surprised look with her wide eyes and round shaped mouth.

“Where yeh hurryin’ off to at that pace?” She panted as she stopped in front of me, she put a calloused hand to her chest as she regained herself, “Yer room is back down the other way.”

“Oh,” My mind was still a blue as I looked down at the young maid, “Marian, would you show me the right way? I was a tad….detained.”

“Was it the King?” Marian guessed in a hushed whisper, her childlike face hesitant for her words were terribly risky to say. I studied her for a moment, trying to determine whether I could trust this young girl with such a controversial piece of gossip. She seemed kind enough but she did not seem smart enough to know the power of information, I wouldn’t tell her anything detrimental to my reputation but just enough to make her day a tad more interesting.

“He is very much as you described him Marian,” I gave a cold smile and started in the opposite direction towards where she had directed me, “I thank you very much for your words.”

“I wonder if e’ wasn’t o’ handsome, would e’ be where e’ was today,” She mused, keeping up with my long strides rather easily. Her scuffed boots came down heavily on the carpeted floors whereas my high heeled slippers were nearly silent footfalls. The true sign of nobility was in the walk. Marian’s posture was hunched over and her head angled dutifully to the floor, whereas my back was straight with my head held high and I walked with as much grace as I could muster. It was a thing of pride I suppose, to know where your place in the world was rather comforting. It was easy to slip into most times but like a corset, it did feel rather constricting at points.

“I don’t believe any of us would truly be where we are today without our physical appearance,” I replied in a thoughtful tone, allowing myself to be honest for once.

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, each of us lost in our own train of thought. She lead me back down the hallway where Ivan had so shamefully cornered me and gestured to a dark wooden door near the end of the hall.

“This is your chamber Miss Elizabeth,” She pushed open the door and I couldn’t help but admit a small gasp. It was positively extraordinary!

It was a large spacious room painted a lovely teal with an intricate golden pattern overlay of leaves and spirals. The trim was a burnished gold, twining along the bottom and top of the walls like a shimmering rope. But what struck me the most was the large bed, it was a large glorious four poster bed. Much larger than the bed I had shared with Mary back in France. White gossamer curtains surrounded the bed, giving me even more privacy when I slept from who knows what.

There were large windows opposing the beautiful bed, most likely overlooking the vast castle grounds. But now all they revealed was the dank rain pouring down from the stormy skies. Pulled away from the windows were thick brocade curtains of white and gold, they were tied off to the side, another option of privacy I had never been given before. The furniture of the room was rather simple yet luxurious, there was a large dresser and a pair of small doors that lead to what I assumed was a small bathroom and my closet. Cushiony chairs were placed about the chamber with wooden details that matched the rich chestnut floor.

“This is my chamber?” I asked incredulously, I turned around in a slow circle to examine the beautiful chamber I had been given. Marian stood hesitantly in the doorway before closing it and fully walking into the room. She came up beside me and smiled, it was a toothy grin but it showed promise of true beauty in process.

“I would ‘ave expected for you teh be used teh these kinds o’ luxuries,” She noted, she smoothed down her skirt, fidgeting somewhat nervously, “Mam, may I ask yeh a question?”

“Oh, of course you may Marian,” I nodded, giving her a friendly smile, “What is it you wish to ask me?”

“Well it’s just that….,” She trailed off and bit her bottom lip, “Do you think that you will become King Ivan’s….?”

“No!” I snapped, disgusted and excited by the idea of becoming his mistress, “No Marian, of course not. The idea of being with King Ivan like that repulses me-Oh dear, I mean it’s a very non-Christian thing to do.” I blushed at my tactless mistake of words while Marian giggled unabashed, looking quite relieved.

“I know it’s terribly rude o’ me to ask but I was just makin’ sure,” She folded her arms across her flat chest and her expression turned sour, “King Ivan is a deviously charmin’ man, Lady Elizabeth, so many women have fallen because o’ him.”

“I’ve seen more than enough men like him Marian,” I lied, trying to reassure both her and myself that I was perfectly able, “They appear strong but they are nothing but cowards beneath it.”

“I pray you are right Miss Elizabeth, for your sake, I pray you are right.”

“My Lady Elizabeth, the Queen Jayna is ready to receive you,” An older maid told me, I nodded and followed her through the elaborate doors of the Queen’s parlor. I fidgeted slightly in the violet silk dress I had chosen to wear to my first meeting with the Queen. It was a tad dressier and rather frillier than I would have chosen for a meeting in the morning but I wished to put my best foot forward with the Queen. Free of my sister’s and mother’s stain.

The gown was fitted throughout my waist, with pale cream lines curved upwards towards my bust to emphasize my thinness. It had a sweetheart neckline lined with a cream lace, showing a small amount of skin but nothing considered too indecent for morning tea. The violet skin pushed out at my shoulders and narrowed at my forearms to fit throughout the wrists. A style that was very popular but hard to do so properly if you did not know your correct body type. But even those who did know their body types did not have the frame to do so, I was thin throughout my body but rather ample in my chest which made the ballooning sleeves proportionate. A ruffled skirt flared out behind me, ranging from silky violet layers to a rich cream lace. The overall look of it was rather pretty but a bit much for my simplistic tastes.

Jewelry wise, I wore only a simple silver chain around my neck. I chose not to wear the gift my ‘admirer’ had given me; it was far too elaborate to go with this dress. It also wasn’t real stones as my mother had lead me to believe, it was cheap glass brought on the streets of London. Anyway, it was terribly uncomfortable for me to wear something from a man I had never met, it wasn’t a gift of love to me, it was a mark of property.

I tucked a dark strand of hair behind my ear, making sure the elegant chignon I had twisted it up in to show my long neck was still perfect. I put no jewels in it, allowing the natural shine of my raven hair to stand on its own. I composed my features into a warm smile as I entered the parlor, trying to keep my energy light and friendly.

It was a rather understated parlor, a safe color scheme of pale blue, cream and mahogany which assured a form of elegance that was far overdone nowadays. Blue and cream pinstripes decorated the walls while the rich wooden floors gleamed in the dim sunlight. The cushioned couches and chairs were a crisp white that looked almost too clean to sit on. Upon one couch three young ladies knitted and chattered away with mindless gossip. They fell silent as I entered the room with the maid and my eyes immediately fell on a woman who sat alone in the grandest looking chair. She was obviously the Queen Jayna, for her appearance alone was dripping in an overflowing mess of ruffles, linings, frills and jewels. Her ashy blonde hair was pulled back into a tight bun and set with crimson jewels that looked more rare than any piece I had ever possessed. A slender crown of silver sat upon her head, quite simple for a Queen but still beautiful enough to create an impact on those who viewed it.

Her face was not very comely unfortunately, but it was certainly not ugly. Her face was very uptight with her thin lips, upturned nose and small, dark brown eyes. She seemed to have aura about her that made her seem far older than her true age, just by the first look of her I would have her at fifty years but she was barely twenty two. Maybe it was the elaborate crucifix that hung about her neck that made me feel this, seeing this graphic piece of jewelry made my stomach turn. How was it women weren’t allowed to wear trousers but we could wear the image of a dead, impaled man about our necks?

Ignoring my unchristian and improper thoughts, I swept into the lowest curtsy I could manage and bowed my head obediently, “It is lovely to finally make your acquaintance You Majesty.”

“Rise Lady Elizabeth, it has been far too long since I have seen your face,” Her voice was soft but her words seemed too older for her true age. Queen Jayna was only four years my senior, quite a lot in our time but not much in my own. I rose from my deep curtsy and smiled at the young woman, I felt somewhat pitiful now as I looked at her. Her innocence in this world was far too noticeable to me, her attempts at appearing older was something done when one was feeling intimidated by another’s presence. I was more than used to this reaction from women, I did not look like any other Lady of court, not here nor France, nor most likely anywhere.

“You’ve changed greatly I see,” Her smiled was tight lipped, her brown eyes flashing in a way that made it clear that this was no compliment, “Please do sit down, my Ladies and I were enjoying tea when you arrived.”

I smiled graciously and sat on the edge of the closest chair to me, crossing my ankles to the side as propriety demanded of me. On the small chestnut table before me was a circle of small porcelain cups with steaming brown liquid within them. I took one with eagerness, England was far colder than I had planned it to be. I sipped the tea lightly and sighed inwardly as the familiar warmth spread through my system.

“These are my Ladies in Waiting,” She gestured the three ladies on the other couch, I did not take much notice for they were rather average looking. The first two were dark brunettes and the third was a dark auburn, all of them dressed in similar shades of blue, “This is Lady Katherine Lowen, Lady Anna Godbersen, and Lady Willow Dolen.”

“We all have been most excited to meet you Lady Elizabeth,” Katherine gushed suddenly, her bosom rather squished in the tight fabric of her satin dress, “I’ve heard the most wonderful things about France but I have yet to visit it myself, please tell us about Queen Victoria’s court, oh please do!”

Queen Jayna grimaced at her over enthusiasm but the other girls gushed their agreements. I smiled courteously at them, quickly thinking of an answer that would appease their flakiness but would still be polite enough so Queen Jayna would not be too disgruntled.

“Well I do not know if it is much different here than it is in the court of France,” I paused, examining my pale hands before continuing, “But the Queen Victoria enjoyed surrounding herself with the best scholars, philosophers and artists France had to offer. As you can imagine, most feasts often became the popular place for their debates.”

Their laughs were far to forced to truly be natural, Queen Jayna made a tsking sound and frowned, “It sounds not like the appropriate place for a Lady.”

“What of the men Miss Elizabeth?” Anne asked, her dark green eyes gazing at me dreamily as the two other girls giggled beside her, “Are they as romantic as many make them out to be?”

“Lady Anne, I do not think that is very virtuous of you to ask,” Jayna admonished her, Anne blushed heavily but waited for my answer eagerly.

“They are quite charming I suppose,” I spoke carefully, meeting Anne’s gaze with rather devious one of my own, “But few are husband material, certainly none that you’d truly wish to bring home to your family.”

Their laughs rang out again and even Queen Jayna cracked a small smile which seemed to brighten her entire face. The parlor door suddenly opened without an announcement which cut us all off in our conversation. A hushed silence fell over the women and my eyes widened when King Ivan stepped into the room.

He was just as dashing as before, even more so in the overcast day rather than the torch lit night. His clothing was a richly made doublet of hunter green and gray trousers that were a tad looser than the average Lord’s pants which usually fit close like a second skin. The light fell across his sharp features perfectly as he bowed down low to us, somehow managing to catch my rather dazed eyes in the process. I narrowed my eyes at him as he smiled slightly at me, managing to irk me within moments of his arrival.

“Good morning Ladies,” His voice was low and tinged with amusement, a tone of which he seemed to carry with him always. Immediately we all stood up and swept into a curtsy, out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed Willow and Katherine lean forward to expose their bosoms more to him.

“You must be Duchess Elizabeth Memorium,” Ivan smiled at me but it came out more as a smirk in my opinion, I held my composure well as I straightened up. He crossed the parlor in two long strides to stand in front of me, his presence was overwhelming and I felt the strangest urge to blush, “It is lovely to finally make your acquaintance.”

He took my hand and bent to kiss it, even through the soft silk of my white gloves I could almost feel his lips again. There was not much difference between the spark I got from his lips on my glove than the feeling I got when he touched my bare skin. I prayed he wouldn’t make it obvious that we had previously met, something that would ruin my reputation before I could truly have one. Discretion was not something Ivan was well known for though, quite the opposite unfortunately. Thankfully he only held his lips on my hand for no more than two seconds before straightening up again, smiling at me warmly and then thoroughly dazing me.

“As it is yours, Your Majesty,” I kept my face in a polite smile, trying as hard as I could to keep my face free of any embarrassment. After a moment, Ivan turned to Queen Jayna and smiled quite coldly at her, not reaching to kiss her hand nor make any indication that she was his wife. I couldn’t help but feel a tad taken aback by this, even to those I truly hated most, I would still show some courtesy.

“Good morning Jayna,” he spoke in a brusque tone, I tried to stop myself from looking shocked before anyone could catch it but I wasn’t sure if I succeeded. He used her informal name in front of us?! That was near unforgivable in the most lax of places, most especially from a King!

Queen Jayna felt the same way, she glanced at me angrily and I realized Ivan was doing this for both me and the three ladies behind me. He wished to appear as if he was available, that he was unmarried and looking for companionship, a very cruel, cruel trick to play in public.

“Good morning Sire,” She smiled politely at him, though I could see the strain within it. She sat back down in her gilded chair and was overwhelmed by the silver satin of her gown; she seemed to be almost drowning in it, “How did the hunt go My Lord?

Will we be feasting on deer or rabbit soon?”

“We will have enough venison to dine on for months,” Ivan smiled with a bit more life this time, he took a seat in the chair beside mine and gestured for us all to follow suit. I made sure to sit on the edge of my seat so I would not appear more bottom heavy because of my gown, “My Lady Elizabeth, do tell me about France, it has been far too long since I have heard from Queen Victoria.”

“She sends her best regards to you Your Majesty,” I smiled at him, not meeting his stormy gray eyes. My words were utter lies though, it was no secret to anyone that Queen Victoria despised the rulers of England. King Ivan was known for ruling for himself rather than the lesser people of England, something that many did but Ivan did it with a bluntness that even most warlords thought harsh. Some blamed it on his advisors, claiming they were unwise in their counsel but the people of England knew that Ivan was too stubborn to even bother with their advice.

“Is it true that her court has been invaded by the likes of heretics and traitors?” Ivan asked cynically, I turned to him and narrowed my eyes, letting my tongue take control.

“Philosophers and scholars My Lord,” I corrected him sharply, I met his gray eyes challengingly, “They speak their minds for the better of the court and the world.”

“And how do their words better the world Miss Elizabeth?” He asked, a smirk tugging at the edge of his lips. His eyes bored into mine and made me feel as if I was the only one in the room with him. I struggled to remember Queen Jayna’s presence in the room as well as the three other ladies, the way Ivan was looking at me was enough to make me forget almost everything which was frightening.

“If we did not have those who spoke their minds, then we would never have any development for the Kingdom would we not?” I looked away from him to study the elegant blue pattern that decorated my fragile teacup, “How would we ever better ourselves if we did not have a different or better yet, an honest perspective from someone within court?”

“We would be free of burnings and hangings I say,” Queen Jayna spoke primly, her lips pursed tightly, “If the people of the Kingdom do not agree with their rulers’ decisions then they should move rather than force their opinions on others.”

“Now, now Jayna,” Ivan gave her a patronizing smile that made it seem as if he was speaking to a child rather than his Queen, his eyes were steely as he looked to her, “There is something to be learned from Miss Elizabeth’s words I think, truly, there is little honesty left in this world,” His eyes seemed to warm as they turned back to me, “Though I still hold my views on those so called philosophers, they are far too vague for my liking.”

“They do tend to borderline oracles some of the times. That I will agree with you on My Lord,” I laughed softly, without thinking properly, I looked up at him through my lashes to make my eyes smolder. Ivan raised a dark eyebrow at me and the smirk on his lips became more pronounced.

“Is it true Queen Victoria keeps oracles at her court Miss Elizabeth?” Willow blurted out, quickly reminding me of the other presences in the parlor. I reluctantly dropped Ivan’s eyes to meet the exuberant red head’s gaze.

“She does, but it is mostly for entertainment,” My smile became a tad more enigmatic as I put down my teacup and folded my hands delicately in my lap, “In fact, many of Queen Victoria’s Ladies were taught the art of palm reading, many can perform it quite well in fact.”

The three ladies broke out into titters while Queen Jayna’s expression became even more disapproving. I heard Ivan chuckle quietly from beside me and it took everything I had not to turn to look at him.

“If it is no trouble Lady Elizabeth, could you give me a palm reading?” Lady Ann asked in an excited voice, I hesitated, wondering if I should do such a thing during a morning tea session with the Queen.

“Lady Ann, I do not think that now is the proper time for that,” Queen Jayna reproached, her voice was clipped and her eyes sharp like a hawk. I smiled slightly to myself, rather relieved that I wouldn’t have to make the decision under this kind of pressure. The three ladies quickly silenced themselves for the voice of the Queen was like the blade of a knife.

“Another time I suppose,” Ivan added in, his voice rather thoughtful, “I may like one myself; any words on how the Kingdom goes would be most comforting I think.”

“Of course Your Majesty,” I did not meet his gaze when I said this, nor did I meet the gaze of anyone else in fear that they’d see my impure thoughts. I looked up to Queen Jayna hesitantly and met her brown eyes hesitantly, “Forgive me for asking My Queen, but is it possible that I could see the gardens today? I have always adored the flowers during the spring and my mother has told me that they are most beautiful in your gardens.”

“Oh,” She was rather taken aback by my question, she glanced at Ivan suspiciously before answering, “I’m sure it can be arranged, m Ladies would love to show you around the gardens, as well as the rest of our castle. It will be a wonderful way for you to become acquainted with your new home.”

This was what usually would have been a dismissal and I was about to thank her for her generosity despite the little of evidence of it. But Ivan seemed to have decided to play another cruel card before I could utter a single word.

“Miss Elizabeth, I have heard that you are exceptional at playing the piano, would you be so troubled as to play us a song?”

“Oh I…of course Your Majesty, I would be honored to do so,” I managed to get my words out without sounding like a complete dolt, I did my best to smile at him but all I really wished to do was give him the dirtiest look I could muster. Ivan stood up from his chair to lead me over to small white piano that sat in the corner of the parlor, the ladies behind me giggled softly as they began speaking amongst themselves again.

I sat down on the bench and arranged my gown comfortably, I felt rather stiff as I saw the looming shadow of Ivan behind me. I thought of a song that I would know well enough that I would not make any mistakes even under this kind of discomfort. I tried ignoring Ivan’s towering presence behind me as I began to play a soft lullaby my mother used to play for Rosalie and I as children. I loved to play the piano; it was the one thing that I truly knew I was better at than Rosalie. It was the very first thing that ever made me feel special, that didn’t make me just Rosalie’s sister but allowed me to stand on my own as Elizabeth Memorium.

“You’re very good,” Ivan noted as I played, he lowered his rich voice to a level that only I could hear, “Violet is a lovely color on you I daresay.”

I accidentally missed a key in the song and rushed to fix my mistake before it could be noticed. Thankfully the ladies behind us did not make a stop in their conversations but Ivan chuckled, realizing my mistake was from the effect of his words.

“Do I make you nervous Miss Elizabeth?” I tried to ignore him but it was a futile effort, his energy was so overwhelming even when I could not see him, “It is nothing strange I assure you, I tend to have the effect on women.”

“I do not doubt that this is the case My Lord,” I muttered, not breaking in my song as I spoke. Ivan laughed quietly, the sound standing out beautifully even amongst the layers of sound within the parlor.

“I could take you through the gardens if you wish it,” Ivan’s voice grew even quieter now that his words were much more controversial, “I’m sure that it would be far more interesting than any tour given by Lady Katherine or Lady Ann.”

“I do not doubt this either,” I relented; I bit down on my lip to keep from smiling. I was flattered by his offer and dangerously tempted to accept it, “But I am not so inclined to accept an offer such as this from a married man, let alone a married King.”

“You are far too bold for your own good Miss Elizabeth,” He sighed, suddenly sounding tired, a vast difference from his usually amused tone, “But do not forget my offer, consider it wisely before deciding. I’m sure we’d have a lovely time together.”

“I do not know if lovely is the word I would use My Lord,” I could not keep the amusement out of my voice as I spoke, my fingers flew across the keys without much thought on my part, “But I would not hold your breath too long for my response.”

“You may hold this answer now but I am sure that it will not last,” His smirk was evident in his voice, “It doesn’t take much to know that are not very patient Miss Elizabeth, you’ll be looking for a source of entertainment soon.”

“Are you comparing yourself to entertainment Sire?” I asked quietly, hiding my sudden nervousness at his words.

Ivan moved so he was standing right behind me and I froze as I felt him touch the collar of my dress. I quickly remembered myself and continued playing the piano, the chords not coming out as easily as before.

“I could be,” He whispered, his voice husky as his hand trailed down to between my shoulder blades, “But what I am really saying is that when you are so bored, so desperate for something of interest in this bland court, that is when I shall make my move Miss Elizabeth.”

“It seems that I am not the only one who is bored,” I replied, my voice a tad more nervous than I wished to let on as I considered the true reality of his words.

“I think I could keep you most entertained Miss Elizabeth,” His voice sent shivers down my spine and I struggled to keep my playing even. I could barely breathe as I felt his fingers trail up and down the line of my spine, they exerted so little pressure that I barely felt it but it was enough to raise prominent goosebumps on my skin, “And I’m sure you would be most honored to do the same for me.”

“King Ivan, please stop, your wife is in the room,” I spoke sharply, remembering what was at risk right now considering the place we were in. The soft lullaby I was playing was quickly coming to an end; soon I would make my escape out and away from the dangerous Ivan. I would also have to speak with my mother and Rosalie; I did not need them questioning me any more than they would already be.

“She is not truly my wife,” Ivan spoke in a rather blunt voice and I winced at his harshness, “You could be though Lady Elizabeth or at least close to it, I’m sure it would be most…enjoyable for you.”

“You are a lovely piano player Miss Elizabeth,” Queen Jayna’s voice chimed suddenly, her tone sharp and unexpected. I jumped slightly and felt Ivan’s hand disappear from my back as the attention came to me yet again. I quickly finished the piece and turned to smile at the Ladies, enjoying their quiet applause and feeling rather pleased that I had played it well in Ivan’s presence.

“Thank you Queen Jayna,” I bowed my head courteously and glanced at Ivan, he was watching me with a strangely speculating expression. Every time I seemed to catch him looking at me, it was like he was studying a fine piece of art.

“There is to be a feast tomorrow night in honor of the Great Hunt, if it pleases you, then we shall find a time for you to grace the court with your music,” Her voice was somewhat acidic, making me wonder if she truly meant it so I simply nodded and smiled again, “I am sure you wish to see your family, it has been a pleasure to meet you at last.”

“It has been wonderful to meet you as well My Queen,” I stood up and curtsied to her, “As it has been to meet your Ladies, I’m sure we shall become close companions,” I smiled to the three ladies, praying that I’d never have to endure their presence alone for more than an hour. Finally I slowly turned to Ivan and curtsied, most likely lower and more graceful than I had for the others, “It has been lovely to meet you Sire, thank you for welcoming me so warmly into your Kingdom.”

“I hope to be seeing you again soon Miss Elizabeth, you have been away from home far too long for England’s liking,” Ivan smiled at me, momentarily blinding me with its beauty for a moment. Then I realized the double meaning of his words and narrowed my eyes at him angrily. I did my best to smile politely before exiting the room, certainly feeling much more disconcerted than I originally had arriving in England.
--------------------------------------------------