Status: The more comments, the better chance of an update ^_^

The Seven Deadly Sins

A Bold Mistake

“The party was absolutely smashing wasn’t it?” Mary gushed, her wide doe-like, brown eyes flashing excitedly, “I cannot believe that Lady Jane is already with child! To think they’ve only been married a month too!”

“Yes it does seem rather soon,” I drawled, a slight smirk made its way onto my face, “Maybe she had a bit of outside assistance from another fellow, we all know Jane isn’t very patient.”

“Miss Elizabeth!” Mary gasped, her eyes flashing mischievously at my controversial words, “You shouldn’t say such a thing! It is considered bad luck to suggest such profane ideas, why I must say my mind is burning at the thought!”

We both erupted in laughter as we made our way back to our chambers, a passing maid gave us a disapproving glance but we paid her no heed. They should be thankful to see some form of joy on a person’s face once in a while; it seems that the majority of the world only deemed a sour expression as something appropriate.

“Who do you think it could be?” She asked in a hushed whisper, she leaned her head a bit closer to mine as we walked so the wide hallways would not catch her voice. I turned my head to study her rapt features for a moment; her naturally curly brown hair framed her somewhat plump face nicely, it was currently pulled into a bun that was twined with deep green ribbons. Her rounder face made her automatically look kinder which was very deceiving, for she was one of the most cunning women I had come into contact with during my stay in France. She had the same tastes in humor as I; we both enjoyed toying with the pathetic men and women of our court when they had no idea of their stupidity.

She was also one of the most natural beauties I had met; her skin was a darker shade of cream that came from a tad bit too much sun. Mary was notoriously known for ‘forgetting’ her parasol or her bonnet whilst outside during the warmer months. Her full lips were always pursed in a sultry pout; she had a button nose that sat perfectly straight between her deep, chocolate eyes. They were like the eyes of a doe, framed with thick lashes that brushed the apples of her cheek.

Mary shared the same love for simpler gowns and silhouettes like I did but enjoyed much brighter colors like the vivid jade green gown she donned this evening. A thick yellow brocade sash was tied tight around her waist, giving her a slight edge amongst the lace covered beauties in court. She and I had learned the same art of dressing, one vocal point on a gown would be enough to draw the eye whereas too many would simply advert it.

“Well she has been seen enjoying the company of Lord James Yonden lately unescorted,” I stressed the last word, lowering my voice as we spoke. Though gossiping the most scandalous of ideas was a sport practiced by almost all women, it was extremely detrimental to one if they were caught, “Or maybe it’s one of her servants, I could see Jane feeling the call of rebellion now she has been married.”

“Our Jane?” Mary asked her voice incredulous, “She can barely stand having the coachman help her out of a carriage, let alone carry an affair with them!”

“It is an interesting idea,” I smiled, Mary let out a delicious laugh that ended quickly as a sharp voice interrupted us.

“Any ideas that you find interesting Miss Elizabeth are always a worry to me,” Mary and I both jumped at the sound of this voice and turned around with sinking feelings in our stomachs. The pinched, hawk nosed, thin lipped face of Lady Ann, the Head Lady in Waiting to the Queen. She trained the possible candidates for the Queen’s Ladies in Waiting, but in more honest words, she trained us like the soldiers who patrolled the castle walls. She was extremely strict, constantly chiding us about every single thing and almost always catching us at the very worst of times. It was a terrible habit of hers, but even worse for us girls who ended up losing the simplest of privileges we had.

I expected the worst from Lady Ann when she peered at Mary and I, was she going to lecture us or take away the limited free time we had?

Time…….

Dammit! I was supposed to be meeting Nicholas in the gardens tonight!

I met Lady Ann’s eyes who were now watching me curiously at my suddenly stiff posture and struggled to compose myself. I tried to keep my face blank as my mind whirled for a proper excuse to get me out of their sight and into Nicholas’ arms.

“Tis only mindless gossip my Lady Ann,” Mary chimed into the awkward silence, she glanced worriedly at me before putting forth her most charming smile, “Don’t you find that occasionally indulging yourself in the scandal of others can be quite wonderful for the senses?”

“I do not particularly care to discuss the business of others, their sins are their own and all we can do is pray to God for them,” she replied, sniffing distastefully at Mary’s comment. Mary and Lady Ann never really got along, nor did she and I, we had our own way of making it through the court. It was not as pious as hers but it certainly worked well enough.

Lady Ann glanced about the hall patronizingly, “I also believe that many others would care to disagree with you, considering the fact that it is most disrespectful.”

“We apologize Lady Ann,” I spoke in a calm voice, attempting to cover up my previous slip in character, “The excitement of the ball has crowded our senses, please do forgive us.”

Lady Ann sighed and fixed me with a beady stare, a wave of relief ran through me as I realized my charm had worked on her, “You are forgiven,” I could feel Mary sigh softly beside me and Lady Ann’s stern side flared again, “But do not let me catch you at it again, I may not be as forgiving towards you the next time, if there is one.” Something flashed in her eyes that gave me the warning that she would certainly spare no mercy.

“Now please return to your chambers before you do anything else to diminish your reputation as Ladies,” she dismissed us; Mary began to sink into a curtsy and say her thanks when I interrupted her.

“Lady Ann, do excuse me, the Queen has asked me to retrieve for her a glass of warm milk before she retires to bed,” I prayed that she wouldn’t see through my lie, something I wasn’t sure was possible. The task I had made up was something only the Queen’s closest Ladies would see to, one could never be sure of where the servant’s allegiances lay.

I kept my face as relaxed as possible, making sure to blink only every three seconds so she would not see my fidgeting as a sign of lying. My act seemed to appease her for she nodded her dismissal; I swept into a graceful curtsy to both Mary and her. Mary would be furious at me leaving her alone with Lady Ann but that was one of the last things on my mind as I made my way back down the hallway.

Nicholas…..The thought of his name sent a small smile across my face. It had been over a week since I had last been alone in his presence and this would most likely be our last meeting. I bit my lip as a flash of heat ran through my being; I hope the men in England would be able enough for my games.

Unfortunately though, my expectations were not high in this category. From what I had heard, most Englishmen were sharp and uncaring for the womenfolk, a possible challenge for my unprecedented boredom.

On the thought of other people, I pulled the hood of my velvet cloak over my head, hiding my face from view. I turned down one of the smaller, almost hidden hallways that the servants used in order to move about the castle without getting in the way of the royal residence and their guests.

I paused for a moment, reaching to the back of my head to pull out the jeweled pins and letting my hair fall down in soft ebony waves around my face. I re-adjusted my hood, smiling slightly for I knew I looked much better when it was down but proper attire at court most usually forbade such a relaxed style. That could be part of the reason why I most liked it though.

I had an inkling that if I ever had the chance to live on my own, I would never wear a blasted corset again, I’d wear skirts without stockings and walk about the public without a pin in my hair! Why I might even wear trousers, but only if they came from the hands of my lovers. I would be the most scandalous woman in all of Europe!

But alas, my future was like the cold stone of the castle walls, I was to marry the man with the most money, bear as many sons as I could and still manage to smile through it.

The castle halls were utterly still as I ghosted through them, leaving my usually silent footfalls sounding more like sharp pebbles being thrown against the ground. My breathing seemed to follow the same pattern, I attempted to make it quieter but it only seemed to grow louder as I focused on it.

No matter how many times I would sneak out to see Nicholas, I always became extremely nervous. It wasn’t as if there was not good reason for it, no virtuous lady would be seen roaming the halls unescorted at night, especially one with a rather….colorful family history.

I rounded a corner and approached a small glass door with wrought iron designs decorating it. A soft giggle escaped my lips as I set eyes on it…The garden door. My heart rate increased as more goose bumps flashed across my skin…Nicholas would be just outside.

A small smirk flitted across my face as I paused before walking outside; I pulled down on my bodice of my dress so I was showing a bit more skin than I would to polite company. It had been awhile since Nicholas and I had been together, I wanted him to have something to look forward to from the very moment he saw me.

I pushed the door open slowly, wincing as the loud creaking sounds rang through the silent halls. I slipped out the door quickly and took off running, well more like briskly walking for this damned corset forbade me from doing much else. My destination was the tall hedges that were the beautiful gardens that surrounded the castle.

The night air felt good on skin, despite the corset, I enjoyed the running. Never did I ever have a chance to run with my hair down like this since I was a child, even on horseback I had to go slow. Riding sidesaddle didn’t allow much room for speed; it often resulted in terrible cramps and irritations. But it would probably be much more comfortable if I did not have to wear some ridiculous gown while doing so. If only wearing trousers were considered to be of equal to treason according to many.

I entered the garden quickly and started down one of the small maze-like paths of the green hedges, glancing about for a sign of Nicholas. My gown flared out behind me as I did my best to be silent, I was terribly conscious of the cold surface of my slipper’s soles clapping against the cobble stones path, it was far too much noise in my opinion.

“Elizabeth,” a husky voice whispered from behind me, I jumped and quickly turned to see a dark figure peering from within the hedges. I took a step towards it and sighed as a pair of rough hands grabbed my waist, pulling me forward so they could kiss me forcefully. I smiled slightly as his full lips captured mine and the sharp taste of his whiskey flavored scent filled my mouth. Nicholas had favoritism for alcohol, most often whiskey, something I could rarely get my hands on. But for now, I would settle for its taste coming from his warm mouth.

“You mustn’t wear this dress again,” Nicholas whispered as he pulled away for a breath, his dark green eyes raking over my appearance, “You look far too tempting.”

“Would you like to help me take it off?” I asked innocently, batting my eyelashes while his unshaven face grinned back at me. He was always in such a rush in the morning, he rarely found time to give himself a proper shave as did many in the lesser areas of the court. Sometimes he reminded me of one of those bohemian writers I saw while riding through a carriage in one of the smaller cities in France. With his full head of dark curls that fell into his defined face and his sloppily elegant clothing made him most suitable for this position. But it was more than charming to anyone who saw it.

“I think that might help,” he winked at me, his hand lifting from my waist to my collarbone. It trailed down to the neckline of my dress, raising noticeable goose bumps on my alabaster skin. One of his calloused fingers hooked into the center of my sweetheart neckline, touching the sensitive skin between my breasts, “Would you like to accompany me to a more…private place in order to carry out this task undisturbed?”

“I would be most honored sir Nicholas,” I replied in a whisper, playing along with his game. He gave me a kiss on my lips, far too short for my liking and pulled up the hood of my cloak again.

Nicholas’ hand found mine as he began pulling me towards the back of the garden, my heart pounded in my chest as a light sweat made its way across my body. I yearned for this kind of excitement on a daily basis, but it was something that came far too rarely for my liking.

It certainly did not come without consequence though, no matter how much I wanted to, I would never be able to lay with Nicholas in a real bed. We made due with the more mundane options, like hay, blankets and when all else failed, old fashioned grass. Sometimes I rather enjoyed it though; the feeling of such common surfaces against my bare skin was almost heavenly. But on nights such as this, after dealing with my mother and the rest of the court, I wished for something soft and inviting.

Almost as if he heard my thoughts, “Since it is our last night together,” he dropped his voice as we made our way out of the gardens and towards the surrounding forest, “I thought we should do something a tad special so I stole the Queen’s blankets.”

“Nicholas!” I gasped; both flattered and shocked that he would do such a dangerous thing for me. He would be more than severely punished if he had been caught in this act, he would most likely be killed for it would have been seen as an attempt to possible kill the Queen!

These things were rare between us; he and I had come to an unspoken agreement that this was more overly physical rather than anything emotional. Or so I had hoped, but sometimes I could swear that Nicholas harbored something more than lust for me whereas I unfortunately, did not.

Deep within me, I knew I was just as bad as both my mother and my sister, just another manipulator. We knew how to turn men into mere puppets for our entertainment and women into dirt.

“Don’t worry,” Nicholas shot me a mischievous grin, “I wasn’t caught.”

I smiled flirtatiously at him and continued to let him pull me across the damp lawns. The night was completely still around us, nothing but the stars watching us while the castle and its occupants remained nothing more than a distant dream. The forest around us was peaceful; I hugged my dress skirt to me so it would not catch on the tree branches as Nicholas dragged me along.

I studied his strong profile, smiling slightly as I realized how handsome he really was. He had broad shoulders that lead down to strong, sculpted muscles that flowed sinuously under his tanned skin. He had a narrow waist and lean legs that came from his constant horse back riding. He had dark Italian looks despite his purely French background. Many of the women at court whispered about his looks but he only had eyes for me, those prissy conservative girls held nothing of interest to him. I hoped that once I left for England, he wouldn’t lower his expectations for the rest of the Ladies. I almost wished that he would turn his eyes to Mary, she would hold his attention well and keep me from being under suspicion.

“Your chamber awaits my Lady,” Nicholas whispered as he lead me into a small meadow, an extraordinary looking blanket was spread out on the damp grass, it’s expensive threads glinting in the dim moonlight. It was a deep crimson, the most expensive brocade that was on the market which was something most dreamed of touching. And here I was about to carry scandalous affairs upon it in a forest!

I let out a giggle as I felt something tugging at the back of my dress, my hood fell to the ground as the bodice of my gown followed suite. Nicholas’ lips brushed the skin of my neck and my breath caught when he nipped at the sensitive skin there.

“Mon cheri,” I groaned, ‘My Darling,’ my French came out in a voice that was as rough as the hands that were now pulling the shoulder of my gown down. His hand briefly touched the necklace I was wearing and I felt a small twinge of guilt wash through me. What a lovely fiancée I would be, if I would be a fiancée at all if a man would dare take me.

My attention was quickly diverted as my silky gown slid down to puddle around my feet, leaving me only in my thin shift. I shivered slightly but Nicholas’ warm arms wrapped around me and pulled me tighter against his hard chest so I could feel every line of his body. His teeth grazed the lobe of my ear as he whispered, “I’ve missed you Elizabeth.”

I turned quickly in his arms and met his excited lips, enjoying the feeling of his silky curls beneath my hands. His hand trailed down my back to the back of my thighs, I gasped as his hands slipped underneath to where the bare skin laid untouched. He lifted me up without breaking the kiss; I wrapped my legs around his torso as something within me began to heat my whole being like a burning fire. He walked over to the embroidered blanket and laid me down on its soft surface, allowing me to watch him as he pulled off his shirt so it exposed his glorious chest. He smirked at my hungry gaze and kneeled down beside me, grabbing the hem of my thin gown. He met my gaze curiously and I nodded, granting him permission to continue.

“You’re a dangerous enchantress Elizabeth,” Nicholas muttered as he slowly pushed the shift up, exposing the bare skin underneath.

“Prove it to me,” It was the last thing I whispered before skin molded with skin, enveloping us both in one final night of bliss together.

-------------------------------------------------------

“We should be arriving at the castle within the hour My Lady,” The coachman called back to me, I muttered a brief thank you and sunk back into my cushioned seat. It had to be close to midnight for my eyes were hazing and felt heavier than the gold candelabras they kept on the altar in the chapel. I had been cramped inside this damned carriage since dawn as I began my journey to France, thankfully alone. My mother decided she would arrive a few hours earlier to make sure everything was in order for my return. But my honest opinion was that she was just as sick of my company as I was of hers, it was obvious that we did not blend well together as companions.

I assumed that I was to be staying at the chateau my mother resided in but apparently I was going to be staying at the castle as the Queen Jayna’s Lady in Waiting with Rosalie. I thought this was rather strange, since I had never engaged the company of England’s Queen before this. Their seemed to be an underlying reason that did not take much thought for me to understand.

England’s new king, King Ivan, was one of the most notorious men in England for he thoroughly enjoyed the company of beautiful women. Most rulers would make a slight attempt to hide their affairs, but King Ivan showed no respect towards his Queen and openly flirted with them in her presence. He actually often placed these beautiful women as the Queen’s ladies, which was both flattering and disgusting to me at the same time. I felt bad for the young Queen Jayna, no woman should have to through such public cruelty like that but I couldn’t help but feel a certain curiosity for this King Ivan.

Of course it could have to do with the fact that he was said to be the most handsome man in all of Europe. He and his older brother who ruled some far off country were both known for their unmistakable beauty. I knew that a dalliance with the King was completely out of the question, I had seen many a woman fall from their status in court after getting into such affairs. But it might be something entertaining for me to watch in my stay here, there was nothing better than wonderful sweets for the eyes.

In the few hours I had been in England, I had discovered that England consisted of dark and stormy weather. Preferably rain that hammered on the carriage window, making it near impossible for me to sleep or see anything outside the gray blur. It was also quite cold; the chill seeped through my dark red traveling dress which would usually keep me more than warm during blizzards!

But that was when you were tucked away in the French castles with a fire and a cup of warm milk at your disposal, I reminded myself. I curled up onto the bench of the carriage, suddenly homesick for France as I pulled my knees close to my chest in an attempt to gather more warmth. I shifted uncomfortably as my corset contracted into my stomach, why did I have to wear this damned thing even when I was traveling?

I sighed and leaned back into the corner, trying to enjoy the minimal alone time I had left. I knew once I arrived at the castle, I would most likely be boarding with someone (possibly Rosalie) who would result in a full blown interrogation about who I was and who I knew. Then tomorrow I would meet the Queen and all of her Ladies, the roommate I would have would pass on all the information, most likely twisting it to their advantages. I would be dragged about like some shiny prize that had been won in a jousting competition.

Rosalie….now that would be an interesting scenario, most likely not an enjoyable one for either of us. I was not excited to speak with her on any level, I had trouble holding my tongue on a daily basis so speaking to my sister would be extremely hard to do without letting something terrible slip. I had more than furious with her for breaking off her engagement to a young man originally but doing it more than three times?! That was beyond ludicrous!

I wonder how I’d react when someone proposed to me, hopefully with a bit more class than Rosalie.

Hopefully I wouldn’t have to deal with it for a while…..

“My Lady!” A voice interrupted my daze, I jerked awake to see a rather damp looking coachman opening my door, “We have arrived at the Kind and Queen’s castle, my Lady.”

I nodded quickly and rearranged my dress, attempting to remove some of the wrinkles so I wouldn’t appear totally disheveled. I doubted it would do much help so I sighed and pulled my small umbrella out from underneath the carriage seat. The coachman waited patiently for me, not showing the slightest bit of annoyance at the rain.

I stepped out of the carriage, unfurling my umbrella quickly before the rain could touch the woolen fabric of my dress. Though it was not very fashionable, this was one of the few practical gowns I owned and I was not going to let it go to ruin. It was a simple square cut neckline made of thick woolen cloth that had been dyed a deep crimson that went perfectly with my alabaster skin. It had a black silk almost wrap like bodice that hugged the curves from beneath my breast line and the top of my thighs. The deep crimson flared out again in thick princess skirts that swirled around me comfortably. It was likely the most comfortable gown I owned, which was not saying much because the corset still felt as if it was impaling my stomach.

“Have a wonderful evening, My Lady Elizabeth and welcome to England,” The coachman was extremely polite, he lead me up the small length of the stone pathway lined with tall hedges. I could not look up to see the great castle my mother had so constantly described to me for the rain was pounding on the delicate surface of my umbrella. All I saw was a simple stone door surrounded by a light cream stone; I automatically relaxed as I knew a warm bed would be waiting for me.

The coachman gave a quick bow before disappearing back to the carriage, leaving me standing uncertainly at the door. Thankfully, my unsure ness lasted for a only a few moments before the door opened to reveal a simply dressed maid, maybe about ten years old. She had fair blonde hair that was pulled into a simple bun at the base of her scrawny neck; her eyes were strangely blue, almost too vivid for her young frame. They were turning frightened at the sight of me and I had to remember not to look too aloof if I didn’t want to scare the child.

“Good evening my Lady,” she stammered, she swept into a low curtsy and bowed her head as proper etiquette demanded.

I smiled as warm as I could at her despite the fact I felt cold to my core, “Good evening child, I am Duchess Elizabeth Memorium,” The child’s eyes widened at the sound of my name, “I am the new Lady in Waiting for her Majesty and I am in quite of a need for a warm bed.”

She looked taken aback for a moment before realizing I was making a small joke, she giggled softly and gestured for me to come inside, “I’ll take yeh to your chambers My Lady, a warm ‘ol bed will be awaiting yeh.”

I quickly followed her inside and breathed a sigh of relief; the rain was not a place where a woman of my stature should be. Or more overly want to be.

“Am I to be boarding with anyone or is that knowledge yet to be known?” I asked curiously, handing the child my sodden umbrella as I peered about the dark hallway. It was rather bland, closer to a tunnel than an inviting hallway with its tough stone walls and dim torches.

“I don’t think so Eliza-I mean my Lady,” The child blushed at her rude mistake, “I’m sorry meh Lady, my English isn’t very….proper as meh mother might put it.”

“It’s quite alright,” I laughed, somewhat enjoying her mishap. It was nice to hear someone who wasn’t constantly worried about being perfect with their English, “Sometimes propriety isn’t always best.”

“Ain’t that true?” the child mused, her chapped lips breaking into a toothy grin, “My name is Marian, it’s nice teh meet a Lady who ain’t so uptight about ‘emselves.”

“It is certainly something that comes rarely,” I spoke softly almost wistfully, our voices echoed in the vast hallways, “Will you lead me to my chambers Marian? I haven’t been in England for quite some time and I’d like some knowledge of my new home.”

“Tis no trouble at all meh Lady!” Marian smiled enthusiastically; she tucked my soaking umbrella under her arm, ignoring the stain it made on her dress. She started down the hallway without a further encouragement from me, “The court round here quite close knit, everyone knows everyone so don’t be too surprised if they ain’t that nice to yeh at first.”

“That is to be expected,” I murmured, following along with her brisk pace, “What of the King and Queen? How do they usually go about enforcing sociable rules?”

“Ahh,” Her expression seemed torn between amusement and discomfort, “Well the King and Queen are somewhat lax about their rules, the Queen is quite prissy...I mean prim!” Marian rushed to fix her mistake as I let out a soft laugh; I think I was going to like this child, “Whereas the King thoroughly enjoys balls and other kinds of…entertainment.”

“Entertainment?” I asked in a whisper, the word turning distastefully in my mouth. Marian looked around and then leaned in closer to me, her expression the one of a woman about to share some delicious gossip.

“His Majesty enjoys the company o’ many of the Ladies o’ the court,” she replied in a hushed whisper, she wrinkled her nose as she said this, “Es rarely seem in the comapanee o’ Queen Jayna.”

“That’s quite odd,” I mused, absently brushing a piece of hair out of my face as we turned to enter a cozier looking hallway. It was lined with a deep purple carpet that felt nice beneath my sore feet. The torchlight was brighter here, bathing both the warm gray stones and the two of us in a warm glaze. Tapestries depicting scenes of men hunting wild elk as they road gloriously into the sunset were displayed in many different angles, it was something that made little sense for no one went hunting at nightfall. Amongst these similar tapestries stood out one that caught my eye, so much that I stopped in my tracks to peer at it curiously.

“Your chambers are right down the hall meh Lady Elizabeth,” Marian said, her voice somewhat anxious as she peered at me, “We oughtta be gettin there soon.”

“I see no reason to be so rushed Marian,” I murmured, my eyes trailing over the silk of the strange tapestry, “What ever does this curious tapestry symbolize?”

The large tapestry depicted an image that seemed to be filled with hidden meanings. It had something similar to a checkerboard colored black, white and springs of a vibrant yellow that served as the background. In the center of this picture were a man and a woman with their palms against each other. The man had white blond hair pulled back into a thong on his back and his skin wasn’t much darker than his hair. He was dressed in a silky blue doublet that looked similar to those a man wore when getting married. The woman facing him had long raven hair that hung loose over her dark purple gown; it was an odd sight to see for a woman rarely wore their hair down. The colors contrasted beautifully with the vivid yellow light that surrounded the two of them. This light was shaped like a northern star; it had two stone bridge-like structures coming out of it in different directions.

One lead to a small, slender tiara made of a gleaming silver and the other bridge lead to a golden crown that glittered in the firelight. A princess’ crown and a Queen’s crown, one that was simply a title and one that resonated actual power. On the side of the Queen’s crown, there was an indistinct figure that looked mostly feminine who was touching her forehead. But on the side with the tiara, there showed a dark shadow of a man who was touching his stomach and was holding something behind his back that looked similar to a knife.

I took a tiny step forward and studied the small shapes above the scene, they were almost faded but enough to be clear. Over the indistinct woman’s figure was a deep gray eye, full of wisdom and sorrow. Over the shadowed man was a similar eye but much more….dark and sinister. But the third eye hung over the couple, it was a vivid blue that pictured curiosity and a strange feeling of strength.

Marian was about to answer when a deep, amused voice rang from the end of the hallway, “Curious you say?”

Marian and I both jumped slightly at the sound of this voice; I looked up to see an exceedingly well dressed man approaching us. Immediately, I swept into a low curtsy, something I knew do to out of pure politeness and manners on my part. Marian followed my example, though hers was far less graceful and rather shaky. I did not hear any footsteps but I glanced up to see a pair of glossy leather boots with dark green trousers tucked into them.

“You are dismissed,” he spoke in a commanding tone to Marian; I rose slowly out of my curtsy and smiled at her. It was my silent thank you for her kindness and I would have to seek her out at a later point so I could speak to her more. She smiled back slightly and started back down the hallway, leaving me alone and unescorted with the man.

This man, I realized as I raised my head to meet his gaze, was more amazingly and gorgeously handsome than any other man I had ever met. The first thing I noticed was his sharp gray eyes, they seemed to be constantly changing from black to almost silver in the torchlight. He had dark eyebrows that arched perfectly above his hawk-like eyes, setting off the high cheekbones and strong jaw line of his face. His hair was a dark brown that frame his face in jagged pieces, they brushed the hem of his upturned embroidered collar. His face was pale porcelain that was clear of any sign of stubble; a sure sign of nobility for only the finest could get a perfect shave on a daily basis. His doublet was rich in black embroidery like the fantastical tapestries that surrounded us, beneath the black silk was a deep blue one that complimented his alabaster tone. It hugged his athletic frame that was muscular without being overwhelming to his naturally long frame which towered over my taller than average body. He looked absolutely surreal, even his energy was almost overpowering, it radiated a sense of strength and confidence in every pore.

“I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting you before,” He smiled; it lit up his face as he held out his hand for mine. I gave it to him reluctantly, the soft leather of his gloves felt nice on my cold hands which were shamefully ungloved from traveling. He bent in a bow and brushed his lips against my bare hand, I repressed a shiver as his strangely icy lips touched my skin. It sent a set of goose bumps though my system and I tried to keep my composure intact, this many was positively lovely and I needed to be calm if I wanted to have a person of interest such as him.

“You are not the only one my Lord,” I smiled seductively as he straightened up, he raised a dark eyebrow at me curiously, “For I have only just arrived here but a few moments ago.”

“Ah,” a slightly excited smile crossed his face, his eyes seemed to hold a new sense of recognition, “That must mean you are the lovely Duchess Elizabeth Memorium, the court here has been most excited for your arrival.”

“That’s wonderful to hear,” I smiled again, not feeling so calm after hearing this statement. I turned back to the tapestry slightly, studying the intricate details, “I am most delighted to make the acquaintance of the King and Queen, it has been too long since I last came to England.”

The man chuckled softly and took a step closer to me so his arm was brushing mine as we peered at the tapestry. I resisted the urge to shiver again, I was not used to man having so much of an effect on me this easily.

“I’m sure they feel quite the same way,” His voice made it seem like I was missing some kind of inside joke. Before I had a chance to press my curiosity, he changed the subject, “You are not the first to ask the whereabouts of this tapestry, but you are the first to describe it as curious,” A small grimace fell across his features, “Many a man have taken to calling it indecent or blasphemous.”

“I’m sure that they were not long guests of their Majesties then,” I laughed quietly, the idea of hearing those stuffy lords preach their opinion on the word of God was always quite amusing to me but mostly agitating.

“No, thankfully they were not,” A lopsided smile made its way back onto his face again, “But unfortunately, we cannot remove every man who decides to make his opinion known,” he sighed, seeming somewhat aggravated at the very mention of them, “Though once in awhile, we receive a guest as yourself Lady Elizabeth who snows certain qualities that will be most useful in lifting a tense atmosphere.”

“Your words are much too kind my Lord,” I smiled gratefully but it quickly turned into something resembling more of a smirk, “Is that what you say to all the Ladies whose chambers you visit at this time of night?”

“Excuse me?” he gasped, flabbergasted by my extremely bold words. I kept my eyes locked on the tapestry before me as I enjoyed his building anger at my silence.

“How would you know where the chambers of the Queen’s Ladies are Miss Elizabeth if you have only just arrived?” He demanded, he was attempting to sound angry but I could sense his underlying amusement. As much as I may be rudely bold with my words, I knew that I could get away with it if I used my charms correctly. Most men enjoyed my daring, it was refreshing from the uptight demeanor of the other ladies.

“I am simply curious about your place in the court of their Majesties my Lord,” I replied, keeping my tone as innocent as possible. But my dangerous words were surpassed when he suddenly laced his fingers into mine, I gasped at this act of his for it was inconceivably rude for a man to do so without asking permission. He turned me to face him so I was staring straight into his calculating gray eyes; the intensity of his gaze seemed to make my mind go blank.

“You’d be surprised by the power I wield at this court Miss Elizabeth,” he whispered, I felt as if I was in a tight box with him now despite the decent amount of space between us. I felt as if there wasn’t much room for me to breathe properly as I struggled to regain myself in order to not look like a complete ditz.

“Is that so?” I asked, in an attempt to appear unimpressed, “I don’t get surprised very often my Lord, most men are more predictable then they’d like to believe.”

He chuckled grimly, his eyes darkening as he spoke, “You might be a tad shocked at the things lurking in this world Miss Elizabeth.” His other gloved hand reached up to brush a piece of hair from my face, I felt a sudden rush of longing and knew that it was time to stop this before it went any further. There were lines no man or woman should cross at first meet; flirtations could turn dangerous very easily if one loses control.

“My Lord, I do not think that is appropriate,” I reproached him, quickly withdrawing my hand and taking a step back. I could feel myself trembling slightly; I was extremely unused to surprises like that. I wasn’t lying when I said that people were terribly predictable, most especially men when it came to romance but it seems I’ve encountered something much more…challenging.

“I suppose you are right,” He muttered, he looked somewhat taken aback from my reaction but his expression cleared quickly. His sharp eyes drifted from mine to something beyond me, then he took a small step back and a smile drifted over his features, “Miss Elizabeth, what do you know of King Ivan?”

“Pardon?” I asked, confused by his sudden change in topic. I folded my hands in front of me in an attempt to stop the slight shaking from his touch.

“What preconceived ideas do you have about King Ivan?” he repeated, his expression intrigued as his eyes studied me again. I narrowed my eyes at him, instantly suspicious of this man….whose name I had yet to acquire.

A brief look of confusion passed over his face as a look of surprised came across mine; I was such an utter dolt. I completely forgot the very basic steps of courtesy in the wake of his handsome features. I felt more embarrassed than I thought possible, I would have to kick some common sense back into me once I was alone.

“I am not inclined to answer such questions when I have to know the inquirer’s name,” I replied in a cold voice, the man raised a dark eyebrow at me and the smirk on his became more pronounced.

“Is that so?” his eyes twinkled with amusement, “If I told you who I was then I’m sure you’d be much more inclined to answer them.”

“Then enlighten me sir and we shall see whether your assumptions prove correct,” My voice was clear of my frustration but seemed to sense it for his smirk grew.

“Why should I enlighten you when my friend shall do so for me?” before he even finished his sentence, footsteps could be heard from behind me and I turned slightly to see a rather plump man in a deep green and gold doublet that was far too tight for his frame. His bald head shone in the torchlight as he bounded towards us, his breath somewhat heavy as his expression became disapproving at the sight of both of us.

“Good evening your Majesty,” he bowed low to the man who did not even glance at him but continued to study my horrified expression with an amused one of his own. I couldn’t stop my mouth from dropping in shock and my eyes bugging as I assessed the situation at hand.

I had finally found a challenge.

The legendary King Ivan.