Status: The more comments, the better chance of an update ^_^

The Seven Deadly Sins

A Virtuous Lady

"Bloody hell," I said under my breath, I put down my goblet of cider on the small table as my mother approached me through the crowd. I had just managed to remove myself from the clutches of a Lord twice my age who was continuously pressing for another dance despite the two I had already granted him. He had reeked of cheap wine and his smile looked more like a leer with his sunflower colored teeth.

"Elizabeth, Lord Ruben wishes to meet you now," My mother smiled cheerfully at me, her face a mask that showed no sign of our previous argument. Oh joy, now he wishes to meet me, I am in such a tizzy. I mentally chided myself for such thoughts, I needed to remain at least somewhat positive until I was alone, and then I could let my natural ‘cheerful’ outlook take over. For the entertainment of others, I returned her smile to the best of my abilities and began following her through the silken mass of gowns and doublets. It had been a grand feast, sumptuous meats and fruits had been laid out on fine platters of gold for us to dine upon. Ales, wines, and ciders had been warmed up and been served in gorgeous goblets and had been handed out in great portions.

I, along with four other women (all of whom were blessed with beautiful looks) had been formally welcomed into the court of England. I glanced up at the grandest table within the hall where two golden thrones, one a bit smaller than the other but not less in grandeur or stature. They held Ivan and Jayna, she sat stiff and disapproving while Ivan chatted continuously with a Lord beside him. He looked quite frustrated which was strange, his lips moving quickly and his brow furrowed underneath his dark hair. He had looked quite exhausted when he had arrived at the ball as well; maybe this was why he had not approached me during the few hours this celebration had gone on. And the longer the ball went on, the less I was sure that I was pleased about this.

I pulled my gaze away from him and followed the bustled mess of sapphire silk that was my mother’s dress. She had been late, something that seemed to surprise no one but me to see her waltz in during the middle of the feast as if it was her court. As much as I hated to say it and how pathetic it made me feel, it slightly hurt to see how hard she was trying to diminish my reputation before I even had a chance to truly build one.

"Oh Elizabeth, I almost forgot to tell you but," My mother slowed down slightly so she could turn to me with a sly smile on her scarlet painted lips, "You’re sister Rosalie has been engaged for marriage."

I almost said ‘Again?’ but managed to withhold my tongue, I was quite taken aback by the news but managed a smile, "That is wonderful news Mother, to who is she engaged?"

"Duke James Hanston," My mother replied, pursing her lips as she saw the smile on my face falter. My immediate reaction was revulsion, utter and complete revulsion. The Duke she was speaking of was around sixty if not older and already had children that were nearing our age.

"But he is so much older than her," I spoke in a hushed voice, we had finally made our way out of the more crowded area of the hall and had emerged into the less populated edges where small tables were arranged. I did my best to keep a serene and happy expression for those around me but inwardly my stomach was churning at the thought of Rosalie marrying a man old enough to be her father. It was positively disgusting and wrong on so many levels, something I wouldn’t even wish on my worst enemy.

"We are low on funds," Was my mother’s tight lipped response, her tone turning quite dark. I looked at her for more information and she sighed sharply, "Duke Hanston is willing to pay a great deal for her dowry, something we are quite in need of at the moment. Money had become quite sparse since your father has died Elizabeth, which is why you and Rosalie must find husbands to secure your future as quickly as possible."

I gulped at the uncharacteristic seriousness in her voice and did my best to keep composed. If my mother was pushing Rosalie the golden child into such a marriage like this than I did not wish to imagine how low she was on money. My curiosity pricked at why her fiancée wasn’t providing money but it occurred to me that I hadn’t heard much of him since my arrival. But my mind was more focused on the growing nervousness at what kind of marriage I would be pressured into as well.

We had approached a small table where two gentleman sat discussing the famine that was rapidly spreading in Ireland. They were both extremely old with stark white hair, an observation that made my stomach drop in despair. My head begun to spin with a sickness and I tried to think positively, they were both dressed in fine clothing made for their lax figures rather than their hallucinated figure. When they looked up to see us, their smiles were relatively kind under the receding hairline of silver. They stood up quickly when we came before them and bowed low, smiles appearing on their lined faces. I curtsied with my mother, trying to hold my composure and withhold the vomit that was bubbling through my system as I looked at what may be my future husband.

"Lord Brammingham, Lord Sarington, this is my daughter Elizabeth, she is the new Lady in Waiting to the Queen," My mother introduced me, her gesture directing me to the shorter of the two gentleman. He had glowing brown eyes and an inviting smile, which soothed my disgust by a thousandth of a fraction. He seemed to look at me with a fatherly look rather than lust or possessiveness.

"It is lovely to meet you Miss Elizabeth, you are just as lovely as your mother described you," He smiled at me but seemed distracted for he glanced away from me, looking a tad embarrassed, "Ruben has just run off, but I’m sure he will return in a moment or so."

My heart stopped as relief flooded through me as I realized that neither of these men would become my betrothed. As quietly as I could, I let out the breath I had been holding in fear and truly smiled at the two gentlemen. They did not notice my slip up in courtesy but my mother obviously did by the sharp glance she threw at me.

"Well let’s not waste the time we have with these lovely women before your lad comes back," The other man laughed, his eyes twinkling at us in the same fatherly way as Lord Brammingham. This man had deep blue eyes; they were sharp with speculation as they took me in, "How are you finding England Miss Elizabeth? Is it as wonderful as I have heard France is?"

"It had a beauty I have not seen before," I replied, still dazed with immense relief that I was not marrying an old man, "Everyone has been more than kind to me."

"That is lovely to hear," Lord Brammingham smiled, his eyes still continuing to scan the hall for his son, "Oh! Hear comes young Ruben now; he must have gone off to chat with some of his companions."

We all simultaneously looked up to see a young man, maybe twenty five at most, striding towards us with tangible pompousness. He had light brown hair that was cut close to his scalp, allowing the comely bone structure and dark brown eyes to come through. He was decent looking; his clothing was finely made in dark blue shades and his figure strong. But his expression was the one that I had seen on many men before and it detracted greatly detracted from his beauty. Arrogance.

"Hello father," His voice was saturated with his pompous attitude. My mother and I curtsied low to him and he bowed, not quite low enough to be considered respectful towards our status though. I tried my best to remain calm; I positively despised it when people didn’t show manners. My blood boiled at the thought of marrying such a pig, for God’s sake, he would not even bow properly to me despite my higher ranking in court.

"Ruben, this is Duchess Laurelaina and her daughter, Lady Elizabeth," Lord Brammingham introduced us, his wizened face slightly flushed with embarrassment at his son’s rude behavior.

Ruben smiled slightly at my mother but it faltered noticeably when his eyes flickered to me, "Lady Elizabeth," he inclined his head, his expression rather sour now, "I daresay you look nothing like your sister."

The way he said it made it clear that it was no compliment to me. I narrowed my eyes at him and my fists clenched at my side, something terribly unladylike flared within me. I bit down on my tongue to keep myself from uttering a fiery retort but I could not help but take a small shot at his intelligence, "Is that so? I had no idea that it was so obvious."

"Elizabeth," My mother chided in a hushed voice, she smiled apologetically at Ruben, "Do forgive her, she has just arrived from France, she is usually most kind."

"I am sure that is the case," He smiled coldly at her, making it clear he did not find a wink of truth in her words. He turned back to me with a contemptuous expression, "You have come from France, is that so? Certainly you were not born from there I assume, your mother is thoroughly English," My mother laughed girlishly at his comment but I knew he was not finished, "And I know that only beautiful women come from France."

His father’s breath caught in his withered throat and I felt my nails dig into the palms of my hand, what a prick! I had to leave, I knew that I would snap and thoroughly ruin my reputation without my mother’s help if I did not leave. I turned to my mother and the others, "Excuse me My Lords, I have another engagement I must attend to."

They bowed back to me, keeping completely silent as they sensed my fury. My mother grudgingly curtsied to me, wanting with all her being to keep me there despite how rude Ruben was being to me. I gave Ruben a quick curtsy, not bothering to show him any form of respect, the pathetic scum did not deserve it. I swept past him, making my way through the crowded hall unseeingly, seething over the remark. I felt pathetic and childish for allowing such a petty blow to affect me but I could not help it, it had been awhile since I was refused by a man for my sister. I hadn’t been spoken to like that since I was younger, from the days where I was constantly compared to Rosalie.

I glanced up at the ornate thrones and saw Jayna looking as irritable as ever in her chair but Ivan was nowhere in sight. I mentally scolded myself, just because one man was not interested in me did not mean I should immediately look for another to satisfy me, especially a man such as Ivan.

I tried focusing on remembering the path to the garden, the memory quite hazy from my mother’s babbling. I sighed when I entered a hall that was not crowded with people, I needed to be alone, something I truly hadn’t been able to do since I had arrived. The iron encrusted door at the end of the hall was familiar which gave me quite a bit of comfort. I glanced around to see if there was anyone in the hall, there were none around and I could hear no one coming.

I picked up my scarlet skirts and ran towards the door, my high heeled slippers clacking against the stone floor. The movement letting out my pent up energy, I pulled open the door quickly and dashed outside. I ignored the uncomfortable crunching of my corset and savored the sweet night air on my face and in my lungs. The moon shone down on me through hazy clouds as I ran through the garden, the beautiful flowers seemingly transformed in the night’s gaze.

I slowed as I finally approached an opening in the mazelike structure of the garden, the tall hedges opened to reveal a small fountain with benches attached to it. The fountain was beautiful in the dim light, covered with stone carvings of ravens on trees. Water poured out of the tips of the branches like clear, sparkling diamonds. I walked slowly to the fountain, my knees suddenly feeling weak. I did not care about how I looked nor how my gown would crinkle, I slumped down onto the benches. I gathered my knees to my chest and laid my head against them, the silk brushing against my pale cheek. I swallowed back my anger and exhaustion suddenly overwhelmed me, quickly followed with painful sadness.

I never should have come to England. I should have stayed in France for the rest of my life, evading my mother and marriage until I was deemed to old for it.

"Now how is it," I jumped as a voice broke through my reverie and looked to see the elegant figure of Ivan standing in the entrance way, "That a beautiful woman would rather sit in the gardens alone than enjoy an entertaining ball inside?"

"Your Majesty," I stammered, surprised and embarrassed that he would find me here in this kind of state. I moved to regain myself but he raised a hand to stop me, his sharp gray eyes unreadable as he approached me. He looked dashing in the darkness, the only sound was the splashing water and the crunching sound of pebbles beneath his fine leather boots.

"There is no need for such formalities when we are alone," He spoke quietly, for a moment he towered over me, examining me with a meticulous expression. Then he sat down beside me, his legs close to my feet. He leaned his head back against the fountain and I realized that he was no longer wearing his crown. He held my gaze with a slightly wistful expression, "Here you may call me by my true name and I shall call you by yours."

"Do you say that to every girl you attempt to woo?" I asked bitterly, tightening my arms around my knees. I watched him curiously as the soft wind blew his dark hair around his amuse face; I was almost sure that he would reprimand me for my words but he didn’t. His only reaction was a small smirk tugging at the edges of his lips, the entire movement lighting up his face.

"Maybe," he allowed, shifting to face me a bit more, "Do you run away from every ball you are invited to attend?"

"Maybe," I couldn’t help but smile slightly back at him, I sighed and looked away towards the fragrant flowers surrounding us, "The people of your court are most kind."

"Please believe me, I am more than aware of it," he chuckled quietly, I shivered when I felt his hand suddenly begin tracing circles on the bottom of my skirts. His eyes held mine with a curious expression, "Is there a certain person aggravating you? I may be of some assistance."

"There are only people I cannot get rid of aggravating me," I smiled halfheartedly, looking away from his gaze to stare at the fountain’s waters. It reflected back the blanket of endless stars, each sparkling with its own special light, "And I require no help for my personal business."

"You are stubborn," Ivan laughed quietly, the sound echoing in the silent garden, "I like it."

"I am not stubborn," I replied indignantly, completely forgetting my manners, "I am simply responsible."

"And how is that so Elizabeth?" The informality of my name coming off his lips was delightful and I struggled to keep my expression clear of it.

I fixed him with a disdainful stare, "I refuse to destroy my reputations and the reputations of those around me simply to become a married man’s mistress."

"You go too far," Ivan’s eyes narrowed at me, not in a way that was frightening but challenging, "You should be honored."

"I should be offended," I shot back, the petty argument quickly getting under my skin, something he seemed to be making a habit. I moved to get up, smoothing down my wrinkled skirts. I didn't even consider how impossibly rude I was being to the King, I had no will to keep up the pretense of Lady Elizabeth right now. I simply wanted to be Elizabeth, no titles, no gowns, no irritating suitors and no morale judgments to be condemned to. I went to leave but a strong hand grabbed my arm, I looked up to see Ivan towering over me with the same frustrated expression I saw him wear during the ball.

"I do not see how I am offending you Elizabeth," He spoke in a low voice, his pale brow furrowed over his gray eyes. He pulled me a bit closer to him so his height became even more intimidating to me, it tightened painfully when I tried pulling away, "I am attracted to you and I know you are to me, there is no lying about that so why resist it?"

"I resist it because I prefer to live a life with as little sin as possible," I spoke between gritted teeth, forcing myself to stay rigid as his chest brushed mine, It was taking every ounce of strength not to give into the adventurous and irresponsible side of me that Ivan knew he was tempting. There was little space between us, this closeness combined with the use of my formal name and his blunt honesty made it almost impossibly hard to resist him. His dangerously attractive looks gave me no help either.

Ivan let out a harsh laugh and his stormy eyes burned into mine, "Well that doesn't seem to be working quite well now does it? I don't think God would be very pleased to see you in a gown such as that!"

"How dare you?" I hissed at him, all the pent up rage coming out without harness now, "You are nothing more than a spoiled pig Ivan! You care about nothing more than your own selfish desires-"

His free hand suddenly flashed to hook into the side of my face, tangling into my ebony hair. He yanked me forward so I was completely pressed against his body, he leaned down so his face was less than a few inches from mine. I knew I had hit him square in his pride for his eyes blazed furiously at me and I was stunned into silence at his sudden closeness. My heart and breathing frozen as the temptation burned beyond control.

"We both know that we are equally selfish," He growled, his chest rumbling tantalizingly against mine, "Do not lie to yourself or to me Elizabeth, we both know that all we shall ever do will be truly based on our own selfish desires."

"That isn't very Christian," I noted in what I thought was a steady voice, my eyes flashing from his gray eyes to his inviting lips. His musky scent was overwhelming me and filling my senses, he chuckled, whether it is at my words or my reaction to him. The hand that had a death grip on my arm loosened to rest on my waist, gently holding me to him as he leaned down a small bit more.

"There is no such thing as a Christian," He replied bluntly, the hand in my hair began making soft circles with his thumb. I pressed up against him slightly and lifted onto my tip toes without thinking what kind of signal I was giving out. Ivan noticed these movements immediately and the hand on my waist tightened, his touch burning through the fabric of my gown, "There are only the delusional and those in denial."

His words were blasephamous, what we both wanted to do was blasephamous, the entire situation was blasephamous! It was everything I had ever wanted, the drink to quench the adventure seekiing thirst I constantly had but...it was far too risky. I wanted him too badly and I knew him far too little, though he seemed to know me all too well for my own comfort.

His lips curved into an amused smirk before he leaned into me, preparing to guide my movements like I was a beginner. Instead I tilted my head upwards and let my hands slide up his toned chest to fist them into his finely embroidered collar. I enjoyed the look of predatory hunger I received from him, an expression that I prided in and savored. His lips were less than a centimeter than mine, his nose brshed mine and I shivered involuntarily. His skin was so cold but it felt so smooth and inviting. He had such an overwhelming effect on me, it made me feel like the most conservative virgin, like a girl who had done nothing but go to mass.

"Elizabeth, do you feel very Christian right now?" His soft lips brushed against mine when he spoke in a husky whisper, unlike the last time he had tried to kiss me, his eyes did not swirl but pressed into mine with an intensity I didn't think was possible. My mind had gone blissfully blank, the only thing pulsing through my heated being, through my heart, veins and soul was Ivan.

"I vaguely remember someone telling me there was no such thing," I replied in a rather hoarse voice, I yearned for him to kiss me like nothing I had ever felt. He was far too tall for me to take it into my own hands and either way, it was better to allow him the idea of control. In my experience, men wanted to constantly be in control and it was our job as witty women to allow them to think they were. Whether that was truly the case or not varied.

He chuckled again, the sound rumbling from my body to his and he blinked slowly, the movement in his eyes seemingly intensifying the hunger in his eyes. He lifted his head ever so slightly anf his lips pressed against mine with the pressure of a butterfly's wing. I gasped as sparks that I had never experienced flew through my body, his lips were so silky and so cold against mine. I had never imagined a simple kiss would draw this kind of reaction in me, I arched my back against him, deepening the kiss. Oh God...it was so amazing, too amazing, every ounce of being that could be filled was filling up his being.

A sudden twig snapping made me instinctively rip away from him, the fea that had stopped me from doing this in the first place flooding through me with a new found force. My breathing was rushed, my cheeks flustered and my eyes were locked on the now proud King who I had given my control to. I had allowed his charm to overwhelm me and now I would have to pay my penance.

Bloody hell!

"I have to go," I blurted out, pulling away from him and rushing out towards the exit of the fountain area. I knew the sound I had heard was most likely a squirrel or some kind of small animal but it had grown far darker than I remembered it. I knew the ball was coming to an end and more than enough wine had been served to influence the more daring of men and women to be making their way to the gardens for a continued celebration. Ivan grabbed my arm before I could go far, twirling me around to face him yet again. This was a move I had prayed he would not make but I expected it to happen, he was far too English to simply let me walk away.

"Stay," Ivan ordered in a rough voice, his brow furrowed and his eyes still blazing with desire. I looked up to meet his eyes, feeling my hair slowly fall out of my clips from his fingers. When I faced the hunger in his eyes full on, I shivered but refused to give into it, I was pretending to be far too practical to do such a thing.

I gave him an exasperated look, "No you stay," I glanced down at the ground and impulsively pulled a scarlet pin our of my askewed hair. I took his pale hand within my own and presed the pin into it before meeting his hooded gaze again, "I'm sorry..Ivan," His informal name danced on my tongue, "But I...I cannot continue this."

He stared at me for a long moment, his gaze becoming unreadable, "You are ordering about your King? All with the pretense of a bribe?"

"I am asking you a favor in return for one of my own," I bit down on my bottom lip, they ached slightly from having his glass like touch pulled away before I could enjoy it. I looked up to meet his gaze with my calmest expression, "And I do not ask this of my King but of Ivan, a man who I hope I can trust to be discreet."

Curiousity enter his eyes and his cold hand closed over mine, "I do not accept your recquest Elizabeth, but I will take your favor and hold my silence to others," his other hand reached to brush a piece of hair out of my face, his touch leaving a burning trail on my skin, "I shall have you Elizabeth, whether it be as your King or as Ivan."

For a moment, I thought he was going to kiss me but instead he bowed and pressed his cold lips to the back of my hand. Small trembles ran through my body as I strared at him with wide eyes and he straightened up with my barret closed in his hand. I was both shocked and frightened by his linger words, it seemed that I had gotten more than I ever could have asked for. Something I was not sure if I was pleased about or not.

"Have a lovely evening," He smiled formally at me before leaning in again, his lips brushed my jawline and his teeth grazed along my ear. I gasped as he whispered in a dark voice, "I shall be seeing you soon Miss Elizabeth."

Her suddenly turned sharply on his heal and in three long strides, disappeared around the hedges without another glance. My breathing was ragged and for a moment, I truly thought I was going to pass out. My mind was spinning with the terrible and exciting mistake I had just made. But I quickly repressed my emotions before I could let them overwhelm me, I knew that I would have to pass through the court at one point before I retired to bed. I knew that Ivan would be more than prepared for it and I would not give him the satisfaction of him knowing he had gotten to me. Years as a Lady had taught me to turn off my emotions on a whim when I was recquired to in public. I walked to the edges of the fountain and studied my reflection, then I did the only thing I could truly think of as a Lady.

I did my hair.