Status: The more comments, the better chance of an update ^_^

The Seven Deadly Sins

Hide and Seek

My life was turning into an awfully hard game of hide and seek it seemed.

I pressed myself against the cold stone wall of the castle as I heard the still loud ravings of those around me grow nearer. The excitement of the match had carried far out into the afternoon, forcing me to endure the idle company of the court. The smile that once graced my face when Ivan won quickly turned into a strained gesture as many pressed me about my giving that mongrel Ruben my favor. All of which I gave the same forced giggle and hopeful airs of a girl whose dearest wish was to be married despite my inner wincing. Though there was an uplifting thought through all of this, Ruben, I believed, was being treated for the many cuts, bumps and bruises he received when Ivan knocked him off his horse. I knew I should have offered to tend to him, the dark glare in my mother's eyes nearly made me bend but I knew whole heartedly that I would do more harm than good to him.

Though curiosity had gotten the best of me, as soon as Ruben had been knocked off, the doctors had swarmed him and took him off to a room before anyone could truly see to what extent he was injured. But no, that wasn't truly the reason I had for trying to catch a glimpse of him, this was the vindictive side of me, not the curious. I wanted to see the pain Ivan had caused him, I wanted to see the effects of a punishment he had so rightly deserved. I wonder how many Hail Marys' I would have to say if I ever confessed myself truly to the priest. I was more than sure that if I confessed anything of my true sins then I would have been out on the gallows long, long ago.

I was currently hiding along the side of the castle, edging towards the room where I assumed Ruben would be chambered. The clouds overhead hinted towards a coming storm, their dark gray mists threatening the once blue sky. The wind around me had picked up enough to send a light shiver down my spine. Damn this thin silk, I kept cursing silently as I pushed through the thickets hugging the walls, Ruben better be injured greatly or I would be furious. A small window was my target, partly shaded with dark purple curtains, the room where Ruben would be treated in.

I ducked as low as I possibly could in my corset as I approached the window, I did not want anyone, most especially him, to see me when doing such an intrusive thing. After a deep breath to calm myself, I peeked above the wooden ledge and peered into the window. What lay there (literally) shocked me beyond all belief.

It was Ruben.

And Rosalie.

My stomach clenched and heaved as I fell back from the window. The image of their bare bodies on the bed burned painfully into my mind as I fell into the dirt. I heard small splits and knew that my dress was beginning to tear. In any other situation, I would have been sick with worry at the idea of ruining one of my gowns but I was far too disorientated now to think properly.

It was not that she was my sister, it was not that he was my betrothed. It was the fact that Rosalie who could have any many she desired yet she chose to give herself to that digesting beast. The idea of any woman laying with Ruben, allowing herself to be touched by his foul hand willingly…The thought left me gasping on the dirt ground, after a moment of complete utter shock. I don't know how I managed to push myself off the ground and began running, I had not a clue where I planned on going but as long as it got me away from then I would be satisfied.

There would be no way that I could marry Ruben, I would toss myself from the castle spires before I could do such a thing. The mere sight of him was repulsing but actually taking part in what being his wife would require……The thought sickened me, it would be far too horrible for me to bear. It would be a dishonor to everything within me, everything I stood for and everything I wished to be.

The rain began pouring down from the sky as I found myself in the gardens again, the lonesome flowers wilting with the pellets of water pounded on them. I let out a slightly hysterical laugh as I kept walking, not caring that all the work I had put into making myself beautiful was swirling away with the falling waters. As my head pounded heavily, I hoped that the cold seeping into my bones would overwhelm me with a painfully wonderful numbness.

Is this what it felt like to be alone?

Then by God, I would take it and enjoy it immensely. My hair was a mess, my dress was being destroyed and at the moment, so was much of my spirit.

Would I be able to bear down much more?

How much longer would I be able to fight what so many considered inevitable?

Trying to let go of this darkness, I twirled around in the rain and pretended that I was a mere child again. Maybe if I imagined hard enough, I could fall back into the memory and stay for eternity.

When I turned, I opened my eyes briefly and saw a tall figure standing somewhat close behind me. I froze and my eyes widened at the sight of him, Ivan stood in the rain without a care with a blazing expression in his eyes. He took a step forward and I automatically took one back, oddly frightened of what might happened. Ivan sighed sharply and quickly closed the space between us, his hands grabbing my waist and pulling me to him without much struggle. His lips quickly followed, molding against mine for a moment before traveling down my neck, kissing every bit of skin he could reach.

I gave a shuddering gasp as his lips traveled up and down my neck, leaving fire in their wake. My hands wound around his neck and clenched into his wet, ebony locks, the feeling of pouring rain and his shear desire made my knees weak.

"You're a devil in white," He snarled against my skin, "Yield to me Elizabeth."

"No," I managed to choke out, Ivan raised his head from my neck with a dark glint his eyes. His sopping wet hair was plastered against his head, falling into his sharp gray eyes.

"Is it because of that damned Ruben? Is he the reason why you won't give yourself to me?" His voice was thick with lust and fury, "What does that…..that thing have that I don't?!"

"It has nothing to do with that!" I snapped at him, having trouble focusing with his body pressed against mine, "It has everything to do with the fact that you are married!"

"I am King!" Ivan growled, his gray eyes seeming to flash black with fury for a moment, "I shall do as I please and I command you-"

"Well maybe you wish to go against your vows but I will not go against mine!" I spat without thinking, Ivan opened his mouth to retort but then he registered my words. His stormy eyes widened significantly before narrowing into dark slits.

"Your vows?" He asked in a short voice, his hands tightened painfully on my waist while the rain poured down around us unnoticed. I looked away from him shamefully and he shook me, trying to regain my attention, "Blast it woman! What do you mean vows!"

His foul language drew up my answer but it still came out quite haltingly, "I am spoken for Ivan….I am engaged."

Ivan was completely and utterly silent, he was immobile with genuine shock from my words. The hands that were once groping me were now iron clamps on my waist. As the silence lengthened uncomfortably, I tried focusing on the steadily darkening collar of his shirt from the falling water. Did he even notice the rain? Or was he too lost in his delusional fantasies of him and I together?

"To Ruben?" His voice was barely audible for a moment but then it quickly rose in a fury, "That is impossible! You cannot be engaged without my consent, it is treason, it is-" He cut himself off and his voice changed to a cold neutral, "Unless of course you wish to be married to him."

"No!" I raised my eyes to meet his, shivering as my lips brushed his in the process. His eyes flashed hungrily when it happened but I forced myself to continue, leaning away in an attempt to keep a clear mind, "I have no desire to marry that man, but it is not my decision to make. I….I must do it for my family."

"It is treason," Ivan's voice was low, his hand was suddenly cupping my face and directing me to look into his stormy gray orbs, "But we shall discuss that later, in legal terms Miss Elizabeth, you are not in any form of engagement without my consent which I have never given nor plan to. Whether it be to Ruben or any other damnable man, you are not engaged," A smirk curved onto his lips, "So you are free to claim."

I was dumbfounded, was he breaking the marriage? I did not know enough about legal systems and how they properly operate to say for sure but it sounded just about right. Ivan took my moment of shock to pulled me closer again, his cold thumb caressing my cheek gently. I regained my senses right before he fully captured my lips, "My Lord," I started, he paused when his nose brushed mine and waited for my words curiously, "I have not given myself to you."

He chuckled, his chest rumbling against mine tantalizingly, "Your mouth says one thing but your body clearly states another."

And with that, his cold lips pressed firmly against mine. Before I could stop myself, the irresponsible temptation overwhelmed me and I was kissing him back. My body melted against his as my hands knotted into his soaked locks while his caressed my body roughly. This was not like our last kiss, the delicacy and the sweetness was gone. It was raw lust and secrecy that both flew through our bodies. His tongue ran across my bottom lip and pried them open, allowing the wine scented taste of him fill me. Rain poured down around us, pushing needles into my skin and spiking the already pulsing lust for him that I had.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This was not supposed to be like this. Where was my bible? My prayer book that would remind me to be virtuous? It was gone, thrown far out the window along with my own practical thinking. This seemed to run in the blood of my family, it was what drove my mother to her King, Rosalie to Ruben and I to the devilish Ivan. It was that sense of danger that lured us like a mug of ale would to an alcoholic.

"Never," He whispered against my lips, "Never wear this dress again, I nearly took you before the entire crowd."

The reminder of the rest of the court seemed to bring some sense of reason back into my mind and I pushed at Ivan. The cold rain was no longer refreshing but a nuisance, pouring down on us like buckets. Lightening flashed, lighting up the gardens and making the both of us jump. Ivan quickly began pushing me back towards the castle, I was tripping over my ruined gown but was managing to keep afoot.

As soon as we got within the slight shelter of the stone wall, Ivan pushed me against the stone and kept me pinned there. His eyes were blazing, furious by constant refusal, torn between pride and practicality. But after a brief moment, he regained control and it faded to that unreadable state, his voice cold as he stared me down.

"Miss Elizabeth," he breathed, making sure to speak in a way that would hold my attention, calm and clear, "I will make a proposal to you, something I rarely like to do but in this case I shall make an exception. I shall break your engagement to Ruben, I will make sure that in no way is it valid and I promise not to hold your family responsible for the misdemeanor in any way, shape, or form."

"In exchange for what?" I spoke between gritted teeth, feeling that aggravating spark every time his body brushed mine. A small smirk curved onto his face, the only sign of emotion he displayed.

"Give yourself to me as your mistress and lover," He replied simply, his voice grew lower and huskier, "I shall treat you beyond well Elizabeth, every care, every worry you have would vanish. All I ask is that you come back to my chambers with me right now."

I swallowed heavily, "I-" I had trouble forcing the words out for one of his hands began trailing up and down my waist. They slid gently up and down, pressing a little more firmly each pass. It would be so easy to go back to his chambers with him, it would only require a simple yes from me and then I would be swept away. I had no doubt that Ivan would be more than enjoyable to be with, I had heard more than enough tales from past flames and could now feel it pressed against my leg. Being his mistress would probably something I would look forward to quite a bit. And with his gray eyes urging me, it was a very tempting, tempting offer.

It would also rid the threat of marrying that despicable Ruben. The man who had so painfully spurned me for my sister in every way, even respect…..It would free me…

Why was it so hard to decide this? I had taken more than one lover before without a care but this was like a raging storm inside of my head.

'Don't do it,' A voice whispered into my mind, 'You're worth so much more than a married man's mistress.'

I was torn, between what I desired and what I wanted to be. I desired Ivan's love, his companionship, the safety of being his mistress for both financial and social reasonings. But I wanted to be respectable, to be able to be proud of who I was and unashamed. But more selfishly, I wanted to be more respectable than my family. I wanted to be the one pure mark amongst the clouded mess of the Memorium reputation.

"I….." I opened my mouth again but still had no answer. Ivan waited expectantly while I tried fruitlessly to make up my mind. Desire or want, love or loneliness, pride or practicality?

"I need time to think" I stuttered pathetically before ducking under his arm and dashing towards the entrance of the castle. My gown was heavy as hell and dragged slightly on the muddied ground but I had not the mind capacity to worry about it.

For once, Ivan did not pursue me as I managed to find my way through the heavy downpour and into the fire lit chambers. But I feared this would only be one in a cycle of times that he would pressure me into becoming his mistress. He was far too proud to simply let me go and I was far too proud to give into him. This would be the first of many battles I would face, that much I was sure of.

===========================================================================================

(Ivan's P.O.V)

An emptiness seemed to fill me as I watched her soaked figure run away from me, the bright white of her now ruined gown finally fading into the heavy downpour. Again she had managed to refuse me and this time, I wasn't alone to take in the embarrassment. My hands were clenched into fists when I heard the dull footsteps of fine leather boots on the cobblestone amongst the layers of sound. I recognized the sudden musky smell and muttered a harsh, "Dammit."

"It's rude to toy with other's possessions little brother," Damn that voice! I didn't turn to face him but kept myself in the direction of where Elizabeth ran off to, pretending to be watching her still. Though I was quite sure he could hear me grind my teeth loudly.

"Rest assured brother, I have done nothing but looked, though I cannot say for the men she;s encountered in France." I hoped my words would infuriate him but I only heard his soft chuckle in reply.

"I see your strategic methods have not grown much," He was amused by my attempt, "How long has it been Ivan? One hundred or two hundred years since we last saw each other?"

At his words, I finally turned to face him, King of Germany and my older brother, Drake.

"I do not know, I have blocked such foul memories from my mind," I spat, feeling the strange niggling feeling in my gums beginning to grow. It was a sure sign that my temper was hot when I felt my pointed canines begin to lengthen in my mouth. Drake's sharp gray eyes, exactly like mine watched me with clear amusement as I attempted to regain my control. He was a man who appeared to be in his late twenties if that. His face spoke of constant battle and hardship which aged him slightly but in a way that could allow him to fall into any category of life. He was only slightly taller than I, though it seemed he towered over me at points with his thick build. He had a head of long straw colored hair that was pulled into a thong at the base of his neck. His clothing was casual but still made with extraordinary care, the dark grew trousers fit lovingly while the dark brown doublet was covered with a near black design of leaves. He had not changed a bit since the last time I saw him, the last time England had desperate need for assistance. And that was the only time I would speak to my brother, save this one time. Many said he was the true image of a king, pairing perfectly with the way he ruled his kingdom. But I simply thought he was arrogant.

Well…I guess I couldn't exactly justify that. This was what grated on me the most, Drake was not arrogant. His demeanor was so calm that you would think that nothing could get him riled.

'Maybe Elizabeth will change that,' I thought heatedly as my brother smiled slightly at me, 'Those damned Memorium witches have a way with getting under one's skin.'

"You would think that I would be the one who would be angry," Drake's voice was quiet, his eyes sliding from mine to where Elizabeth had previously run off, "You were the one who sent my woman to France and then called her back to England to be in your court, both of which was done without my consent."

"I did what I saw as fitting," I replied evasively, jumping on the small prick of anger I sensed from him, "Why not let her see what she could have had instead?"

"You have much to learn brother," Ice slipped into his voice, "She shall return with me to Germany within a fortnight, she does know what she's required to do?"

I laughed mirthlessly, "That you cannot blame me for, her mother has told her and her sister nothing. Any skills in magic, healing, alchemy, it would only be learned on their own time. They believe they father was killed in an accident rather than murdered. They are both completely ignorant."

"And you have done nothing to change this?"

"No, she isn't my wife," Was my simple reply, I didn't really care if my brother received Elizabeth as the Queen her mother was supposed to train her to be. In fact, I could care less if Germany had a Queen at all, no matter what damned prophecy foretold. I was a tad bit jealous I suppose, she was a beautiful woman, the very embodiment of sin. There were parts of her that I would be glad to marry to, her charm and grace were appealing but she had many faults. She was far too willful and would not easily bend to my will, that gave me quite a bout of appreciativeness for Jayna. She was the exact opposite, she did as she was told even if she complained about it.

"But you have tried bedding her or shall I say forcing her into becoming your mistress?"

I tried calming my clenched fists for a second time, "I am attempting to get her out of a marriage that her mother planned behind our backs, if I gain something extra in the process, so be it."

"A different marriage?" Drake tasted the words slowly on his tongue, as if he couldn't fully comprehend them.

"Laurelaina has be interfering again," I spat, the witch's name coming out in a venomous hiss, "She's attempting to stop all negations we've had in place for her and her daughters. I've heard that she's possibly rejecting the lycan's proposal to Lady Rosalie."

"I wish to speak with her, now if possible," Here was his true essence, my brother was as direct as one could be when it came to running his kingdom.

"I've already taken care of it," A clear soprano voice rang out from behind us, a slender hooded figure approached us, accompanied by slightly shorter ones. I hissed when the floral and ice scent hit me, it was Maggie, Drake's second in command and prodigy vampire.

"King Ivan," She gave me a curt nod, I could see her amber eyes framed by russet curls narrowing at me. She still retained much of her nymph features despite the change over to a vampire. Drake had faced much controversy in our world of vampires when he turned Maggie, making an already disappearing race into a new breed of hybrid. Hybrid creatures in general were a very taboo matter. Which was quite a strange coincidence considering Maggie was Drake's prodigy, meaning the first vampire he ever created. She would be the most powerful and bonded vampire he would ever create.

Unless of course, he turned Elizabeth with a blood bond already in place. A ghost of a smirk wondered across my face at the thought of the graceful Duchess exchanging blood, let alone turning her into a vampire. Drake would be dealing with a tempest if he brought that dragon of a lady over.

"My Lord," She gave more of a curtsy to him than me, "I've brought the woman but she insisted she bring her husband."

"May we get out of this wretched rain?" Laurelaina's irritated voice came out like a whip.

"If you truly want to be out of the rain, you can make it stop," I said pointedly, waiting patiently for the delicate woman's response.

Laurelaina sighed sharply after a moment while the vampire that was her husband remained continuously silent, "I do not practice that art anymore."

"Then deal with the rain," Drake's voice bode no further complaint from her, the slightest hint of anger was enough to frighten her into silence, "As we shall have to deal with the problems you've created." I could feel my hair plastered to my head and sticking up uncomfortably from my previous encounter with Elizabeth but I did my best to ignore it, "Laurelaina, you've attempted to put both Elizabeth and Rosalie through different marriages without our consent. You've made negotiations with other clans and haven't explained a single thing in order to prepare Elizabeth as a Queen, have you not?"

She went silent for a moment, "I am not disagreeing with these claims."

"How far along is Elizabeth's engagement engagement?" Drake asked quietly, his eyes not flickering away from Laurelaina for a moment. I could hear her already quick paced heart flutter fearfully as she met his gaze. Ahh, I thought with vindictive pleasure, the talk of her daughters makes the witch nervous.

"They are officially betrothed-"

"Liar," I smirked, watching her flinch in response, "You have never asked for my consent in the marriage, it cannot even be considered in existence without it."

"The papers are drawn and Lord Ruben's family have already paid the dowry in full," Her voice was dry, trying to make it seem as if there were no loopholes for us to find. I waited for my brother's response, not able to make a smart one of my own. After a moment, he smiled, the sight unnerving to even me.

"I hope you don't mind losing some of your court my brother," Drake's voice was smooth now, "It seems that we will have to remove the threat of interference entirely in order to break Elizabeth's engagement."

"What do you mean?" Laurelaina's voice was stricken.

We both ignored her, "When is the next ball?" Drake asked casually.

"There shall be one at the end of this week," I replied with the same amount of nonchalance.

"Excellent," his white teeth gleamed in the darkness, "Maggie, we shall be staying out of the way until then, shall we stay for the cleanup?"

"No, it will better just to burn them quickly, I may be including a few others in this that have been grating on me so fire shall remove the evidence more easily," I decided after a moment.

"No," Laurelaina whispered, horrified.

"Lady Laurelaina, you could have easily avoided this," Drake spoke coldly, "The Memorium twins have been promised to us long ago, your attempt to breach this contract shall ultimately have consequences."

"But you can't-" Laurelaina tried protesting again but quickly silenced herself when she saw the look on Drake's face.

"You shall not decide what is best for my kingdom madame," Drake was becoming somewhat aggravated with the woman, this hint of emotion made her tremble slightly. "You have interfered enough already, be thankful that I have not taken measures to punish you for yours misdemeanors."

"Be silent Laurelaina," The hooded Charles whispered in an urgent tone, but she did not heed his words. She took a step towards Drake, her pale blue eyes flashing underneath the dark purple hood.

"She shall hate you," She hissed venomously, the power within her flowing into her voice, "She shall never love you, no matter what some prophecy foretells! Her heart shall never be yours for your cruelty will push all away! Never-"

"Silence!" Drake roared, shocking us all into a frozen state of silence. I had never heard my brother yell before, I had never really heard him become anything more than slightly angry in all of my existence.

"So help me God woman, I shall murder both you and your daughters if you don't hold your tongue!" He snarled, Charles stepped slightly in front of Laurelaina in a protective manner but it held no threat to Drake who was thousand of times more powerful, "Your daughter is mine, I've claimed her since birth and I shall take her whether it pleases you or not!"

"Forgive me my Lord, she does not mean what she says," Charles spoke quietly, looking meaningfully at his trembling wife.

"My Lord," Maggie spoke in a soft but stern voice and suddenly Drake was calmer, his tense shoulders finally relaxing. The natural magick this nymph possessed had transferred over into her vampire form, giving her the ability to change emotions and soothe Drake's fury.

"We shall take our leave," Drake was calmer but his voice still clipped with anger, "I shall be seeing you at the ball brother, make sure my queen is prepared to leave."

I nodded, still somewhat stunned by his outburst, "Till then," Not wanting Maggie to fully diffuse his anger, I smirked, "I shall enjoy my time with your Queen until then."

But he only smiled slightly in response, "It is strange how one so old can behave so young," He sighed, "Immaturity shall get you no further than you already are Ivan."

"I don't need your advice," I snapped, the words coming out in a childish tone, "My kingdom is prospering, they say we might be able to take Ireland next!"

"They also Ireland is becoming the capital for the lycans," Drake's voice was a warning, one that I hated to say broke nervousness in me. But it quickly turned business like again, "Please give Elizabeth the gown I left, I wish her to wear it for when I first meet her. Take care Ivan, I would hate to see you fall."

He disappeared then, along with Maggie before I could come up with a response. It left me sopping wet in the garden with a witch, a vampire and a strange feeling of hopelessness.