Status: updating.

All can change in the blink of an eye.

Three.

After I blacked out, I just lay in the darkness, surrounded by it. I wander around, placing my palms flat against the walls. A deep groaning noise fills my ears and a moaning sound travels in. I spin quickly and see the zombie Matt again and as I scream, the scream swirls around and swallows me up, placing me back onto my hospital bed. I sit up, gasping and drenched in cold sweat again. I’m feeling some kind of de ja vous going on, I think sourly. Wiping my face on my sheet I look up to see Ashley studying me closely. I jerk back, not expecting it. He grins cheekily and I glare at him, not happy about the fright.
He sits back in the plastic chair and stares at me with a thoughtful expression.
“Do you go to my school?” He asks.

“Your school, yes, but I doubt it’s yours” I say coldly.

He laughs and I scowl at him. “Well, you’re grouchier than I remember, and well, I think you looked better in school. I’m Ashley, you may know me as the hottest, funniest, sexiest and hardest boy there ever is, has been or will be at our school. ” He says, smirking at how wrong the last sentence sounded. I looked into his eyes, which are a brown, a very dark chocolate brown.

I shouldn’t be thinking about that, it’s not important. I should be thinking about Matt, not daydreaming about Ashley’s eyes.
I turn over and grab my book, opening my page I see I’ve clearly stated for him to go away. He chuckles under his breath slightly and goes back to him own bed. I see from the corner of my eye he picks up his book and gets engrossed.
I watched him, his dark eyes flitting over every word and I noticed that he skimmed. Every now and then I noticed he looked up to me, and then flicked back down quickly. Aha.
“I know you’re not really reading that.” I said out loud, breaking the silence. He looks up and smirks slightly. “And why do you think that?” He says cockily.
“Well, first, you’re flitting and second you keep looking up, so my guess is you’re trying to impress me. For some reason” I say, quickly piecing it together.
“And why would I want to impress you, don’t you have a kickass boyfriend?” He says, the side of his mouth quirking up.

Sudden tears well up in my eyes and I blink them out, bowing my head down in shame of showing my weakness. I quickly wipe the stray tears away and pick up my head. I obviously missed one or two because a frown comes on his face and he gets up to sit on my bed.
“Budge up then” He says, patting my leg lightly. I move up to the end and clutch the side helplessly. I can feel the spring that makes the bed move and I move my fingers to my lap. Ashley pats my hand and looks into my eyes and says solemnly “I know what it’s like to lose someone you love, it hurts right? I lost my older brother, and my dad, all at once.” After he says that, I feel stupid, crying, when he hasn’t cried and he’s lost two people.
I pat his hand back and give a brave, wobbly smile. He pats my hand once more and goes back to ‘reading’. I chuckle lightly to myself and get lost in my own book.

Halfway through my chapter I hear the sharp clicking of heals on the hospital floor. I glance up, my fringe flopping into my eyes. I remember Matt saying I was disappearing under this fringe. My mum is walking towards me, a friendly look on her face. I lift up my head and flick my annoying fringe out of my eye.

“Well, as long as you don’t hunch up again like yesterday, then you can go home, okay?” She asks, and smiles. I nod and glance over to Ashley, who I can tell by the tint of his head that he’s listening.

I wonder why he’s still in here; he had less worse injuries than me. After my mum goes, I gently get out of bed, and use all my strength, whatever’s there, to walk over to his bed. It takes me a good 5 minutes, to walk the couple of meters. When I get to the chair I slump into it, and take a deep breath, pushing down on the pain. Ashley looks at me, questions clear in his eyes.

“How come you’re still in here? “ I ask bluntly.

“Well, the cut on my face keeps re-opening, so they’re keeping me here until tomorrow.” He replies, giving a –what can you do? - shrug. Tomorrow was Friday, and then I’d have to weekend to try and recover in time for school. I shrug and just sit on the plastic chair, staring at the floor. We continue in silence until I decide to get up, my plastic chair scraping loudly against the floor. I wince and step out, going to the bathroom again. I wash my face, and walk back to my bed, wondering what it is people do in hospitals.

My mum comes back and lays some clothes on my bed; I look down and see my plain ripped jeans, dark purple V neck top and a black cardigan. I grab them and make my way to the bathroom, coming here seems to be the only highlight in this hospital. Changing, I leave my dark curly hair cascading down my back and go back out to get my book. Giving a glance in Ashley’s direction, I see he’s not there. I notice his book has gone too and there’s a different cup of water there. I just shrug and move to get my book. Walking out, I notify the old lady at the nurse’s office and she points me towards reception. Reception is, yes, you guessed, white. And polished. The lady is talking to my mum and when I get to them, we both nod at the nurse and walk towards the automatic doors. They slide open gracefully and we walk towards the red ford.

The interior is comfy, with seats with pink flower covers on. Pressing the circular button, the radio comes on. When it comes to the radio, when traveling my mother picks, so we’re stuck with classical.

We arrive at my house quickly, as it’s only about ten minutes away. We pull up the small, tarmac drive and I can see into the living room. There is a deep brown carpet, kind of like Ashley’s eyes and leather settees. The walls are a light cream and plain, with a normal flat screen TV. Trudging upstairs, I walk into my bedroom, looking around, spinning around in a full circle, my tied up hair swishing against my back and whipping it lightly. There’s my wall, dedicated to pictures of me and Matt. Just looking at it brings me to my knees, and tears to my eyes.

On the floor I feel something next to me, just under my knee. It’s a picture of me and Matt, the day before... he died. He’s smiling, and looking at me, while I look at him with our foreheads together.

It breaks my heart, shattering it into a thousand pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
For Sian:3