Sequel: Mature

Adolescent

The Call

I fanned my fingers in front of my face, starring down at the tan nail polish. I never knew why exactly I painted my nails; they always ended up being chipped off later in the day. I pushed back my long hair and leaned back in my small chair. I kicked my feet up onto my desk and starred around my room.

Yesterday my parents had called the orphanage, telling them to accept my father’s request for my information. Knots were still curled in my stomach and a small burning sensation sat in my throat. I don’t know what was going to happen now, but I was very nervous.

It didn’t matter what Devin had to say about meeting my biological father anymore. I was nervous and scared, to tell you the truth. What would he think of me? Will I be hideous in his eyes? Would I be younger than he thought? Would he really even be my father, or would it be a fuck up?

I wiped my face down with my hands and grumbled lowly. Every thought was processing through my mind at once and it was giving me a headache. I rolled back onto my feet and began to dig through my drawers. I had to find something constructive to do and fast.

After pulling out every article of clothing I owned I decided on something simple and comfortable. I showered, prepared the small amount of make-up to my face and took one last glance in the mirror. I was happy with how I looked; now to find something to actually do.

I scrounged around my messy room for my cell phone and glared angrily when it was nowhere in sight. I had it ten minutes ago; where could it have gone that fast? I pulled apart my bed, hearing a gentle thud on my carpeted floor. I picked it up, realizing I had two missed messages.

They were from Devin. I called him back and waited for the ringing to finally stop. He eventually picked up, yawning in the process. I tapped my foot on the floor and waited for some sort of obnoxious response. Instead he stated, “Hey beautiful.”

My cheeks flushed a brilliant red.

“What’s up, Dev?”I sat down on my bed and grinned like an idiot.

“Since I’m sure you’re bored out of your mind,”He began.

“You know me so well.”I chuckled.

“do you wanna hit the mall?”He asked.

He sounded like he was running low on hope, as if I’d tell him no. My smile never left as I said, “Absolutely.”

“Get re-”He started.

“Beat you to it. Come get me punk ass.”I hung up the phone and gradually made my way down the stairs.

My parents were out for the day, celebrating their 24th anniversary. They deserved it, knowing how hard they worked and kept me sane. I rolled off the side of the stairs and landed hard on the couch. I turned on my back and patted down my front pockets.

I slipped a Newport in between my lips and lit it slowly. The smooth menthol flowed down my throat and I nearly moaned in pleasure. The smoke crawled out of my lips and mouth as I sat up on the couch. I pulled the ashtray close, flicking my ashes when necessary into it.

As I neared the end of my cigarette, beeping was suddenly occurring outside. I put it out and made my way outside. A smile came to my lips when Devin’s car was sitting in front. I quickly got into the front seat and leaned over, kissing him gently on the lips.

“What’s up, Hillari?”I clicked my seatbelt and rolled down my window.

“Nothin’ much, buffy.”I smirked.

“The mall?”He pushed into drive and took off down the road.

“To the mall!”I yelled.

The drive was suspenseful and full of music and laughter. We eventually pulled into the lot and got out, clinging hands as we made our way to the entrance. Stores later and money spent, I had three bags of clothes dangling in my right arm. It was almost three o’ clock and we still had more than half the day left.

We walked back to Devin’s car and he stopped me in my tracks. He grabbed the handle to my door and pulled it open, allowing me to step in. I chuckled softly and wrapped my arms around his neck softly. I whispered, “You’re really good to me, Dev.”

“Well, you deserve it.”He kissed my lips softly, sending chills down my spine.

His hands gripped my small hips and pulled me into him. A few kisses were pressed here and there, making eyes catch us every few seconds. I pulled away from him and sat in the car, shutting the door behind me. Devin climbed into the driver’s seat and began to drive out of the parking lot.

“You hear anything yet on your father?”He questioned.

“Nothing.”It almost hurt to not get a phone call yet.

“He’s probably nervous. You have to be patient, Hillari.”He said.

“I know.”I paused.”I’m scared too.”

“Don’t worry about it, babe. It’ll be okay.”He smiled.”You hungry?”

“I think I could eat five pounds of food right about now.”I chuckled quietly.

“Pick a place, any place.”He said.

“Wendy’s?”I asked.

“McDonalds?”He grinned.

“Wendy’s.”I argued.

“Burger King?”He laughed.

“Fucking Wendy’s!”I shouted.

“Arbies it is!”He smirked.

“Wendy’s, smartass!”I cried.

“You got it.”He smiled.

By the time I got home it was almost five. I climbed out of the car, my bags hanging on my wrist. Devin got out aswell, following after me to the house. He opened my front door, stepping aside and letting me walk through. I dropped the bags on the kitchen table and looked around the house.

“Mom? Dad?”They weren’t deaf; I didn’t have to yell.

“Home alone.”He smiled.”You know what happens to girls’ your age when they’re home alone?”

“Why don’t you inform me, mister know it all.”I turned toward him with a smirk.

“Well,”He stepped forward, closing the space between us.”first, a handsome guy such as myself might think of some bad things.”

“Handsome guy?”I asked.”Where? I don’t see one.”

“Your funny.”He grabbed my hips tightly.”Then he might follow you inside. Hell, he might be waiting for you when you get home. Then he’ll get you by surprise and take advantage of you in every way possible.”

“Oh, really now?”I grinned.

“Yes, really.”His eyes smiled just as big as his lips.”Maybe I should stay and keep you company until your ‘rents get home.”

“Sounds like a plan, macho man.”I laughed.

I wrapped my arms around his chest and hugged him tightly. His cologne filled my nose as I breathed in deeply. He was warm and strong, holding me tight, but not painfully. His hands rested softly on my upper back and I rested my head against his chest.

He pulled away slightly and gripped my chin ever so gently. He kissed me softly, making me smile into the kiss. He pushed slightly harder, making it only that much more passionate. Car doors began slamming outside, forcing me to pull away and look out the window.

“Damn it.”I groaned.

“Eh, it’s okay.”He said.”I’ll catch you later babe. Let me know if anything happens.”

“I will.”I kissed him one last time before walking him to the door.

As he left he shook my dads hand and gave my mom a hug. He waved goodbye and blew me a kiss, forcing my cheeks to flush a soft pink. I waved him off as my parents walked up to the door.

“I knew he liked you.”My mom chuckled.

“I don’t know how you know these things before me.”I smiled.

“Hey sug.”My dad kissed me hello and stepped past me.

“How was your date?”I asked, shutting the door behind me.

“Very good.”My mom smiled.

“That’s good.”I stated.

“Whose are these?”My dad pointed down to my bags and I laughed.

“Mine. Devin and I went to the mall earlier.”I said.

“Did you eat?”My mom asked.

“Wendy’s.”I placed a hand on my stomach and grinned.”It was amazing.”

“I bet.”I grabbed my bags and headed for my room.

“I’ll be in my room, guys!”I shut my door behind me and put my things away.

When I finished, I sat on my bed and chipped at my nails. I knew the paint was coming off at some point today. My phone suddenly started to go off and I dug my hand into my pocket. I pushed it between my ear and shoulder and answered.

“Hello?”I chipped at my tan nail polish, waiting for an obnoxious response.

“Hillari Sullivan?”It was a voice I didn’t recognize; it sounded like he was choking on his words.

“You got’er.”I smiled, wondering if this happened to be Devin.

“Hillari,”I could feel the lump in his throat when he spoke.”Sullivan.”

“Yes?”I stopped chipping at my nails and grew confused.

Who was this? Was there something wrong, or did something bad happen within the last couple of minutes?

“Who is this?”I grabbed the phone from my shoulder and listened to the man’s labored breathing.

He sounded like he was going to pass out.

“This is, James.”He finally responded.”James Sullivan. Your father.”

Was this the moment I was finally hoping for? Something told me it was, but even though I mentally knew it, I physically didn’t. My phone slipped from my hands, clanking against my carpeted floor. I was speechless; astounded.

“Oh my god.”I whimpered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Told ya it was coming haha. Thankyou Suhweet Tooth, P.L.K.A.F. and BiteMe_Doll for the comments! It really means a lot to me you guys, thankyou.

I mean you subscribers and readers are amazing.Thankyou so much for everything guys! I love you all! :)