Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

T W O

"Danny. Get out of the truck." Mack stood in the door frame of my passenger side, his hands on his hips. I just shook my head. He sighed, "Danielle. Get. Out. Now." Reluctantly I let him pull me from the cab of the truck by my elbows, as I groaned and told him we'd made a mistake over and over again. With his jaw set, Mack gave me a stern look. He hooked his arm around my waist and led me up the steps.

Suddenly my heart was in my throat, and I had a surge of fear pass through my body the urge to run away taking over me. "Mack, I don't think I can do this." I ground out pathetically. He didn't wait to respond, just knocked on the door and plastered a large smile on his face.

A tall girl answered the door. She had grey eyes with bright streaks of a paler grey that made her eyes look silver in the light, which contrasted dramatically to her bright red hair that fell in wavy tumbles down her back. She had flawless skin, that hinted at a tan without one being present. Her features seemed to suggest her being around seventeen or eighteen, but her playful eyes said she was much older. She wore a dark pair of pajamas, that hugged her figure tightly. Then she smiled, "Can I help you?"

"Yes," Mack began in his strong voice, "I'm Mackenzie Hents, and this is Danielle Wist."

"Of course, " She smiled again, her features melting, "Come on in, we were expecting you hours ago." She stepped inside, and I could feel the pressure of Mack's arm pushing me farther into the foyer as I tried to push back the fear in my stomach. The warm smell of honey and thick chicken broth hit my nose, as the girl led us down the short hallway into the large kitchen.

A tall man was standing at the stove, his back to us. He had thick dark hair cut short and ragged, that hung close to his ears in a bed head type of way. He had broad set shoulders, and I could see the way his strong back supported him through the thin fabric of his grey shirt. His hand stirred a large pot, as a black ring glistened on his middle finger and the muscles in his arm moved. I fought to find my voice through the waves of anxiety, "Dad?"

The man jumped slightly before turning around to look at me. His dark blue eyes traced my face with surprise clear in their entrancing depths. He slowly laid the spoon down, before he warily came to stand in front of me. Suddenly he pulled me into his broad chest tightly, "Danielle, Danielle." He murmured quietly. When he pulled back his eyes were full of misty happiness.

"Dad," I whispered, burying my face into his chest again the fear and anxiety dissappearing as I melted into the strong lean of my father's body. I missed him, I missed him so much. He wrapped his arms around me once more, and completed the warm embrace. Breathing in deeply, I could smell the faint dampness of earth and the light touch of rain on him. "I-I miss you." I swallowed as I admited to him, my words floating through the silent air.

He hugged me a little tighter, "I missed you too, Danny." He sighed pulling away. I wasshocked to find my eyes watery, and quickly wiped my eyes as he went to Mack and shook his hand. He nodded to him and they talked a little before he squeezed my hand, and returned to stirring the large pot. "Grab a stool, you both must be starved from your trip."

"Quite, " Mack laughed lightly, pulling out a stool from under the island. He did the same for me, and I sat down gingerly my anxiety slowly ebbing back. The girl went to the counter beside my Dad, and meticulously poured honey from a bottle into a small dish. My Dad looked over at her and nodded.

"Danny and Mack, this is Lizbeth. She and her brother Faron are staying here while their parents are away over seas. Faron is out at the moment, but he'll be back soon enough." Dad smiled, as he reached up to turn the burner off. I wasn't surprised to find they were living here, my father had always been generous.

But one thing was bothering me, "Where is Gran?" I asked curiously.

"Smart girl, " Dad smiled, "She is with Faron. They should be back anytime." I just nodded. I shot a look at Mack, and he squeezed my hand under the table. Soon Dad came over, setting a steaming bowl of soup in front of us each.

"Sweet chicken?" I asked, feeling myself melt inside a little. Dad smiled, knowledge deep in his eyes as he went back to the stove. Even after all these years, he still remembered my favourite foods. Why did I ever leave?

Dad put containers of soup into the fridge, and turned to me while leaning on the counter. "Now Danny, it's late and I have to run off to a city council meeting. Do you think you could manage by yourself until Gran gets home?" Oh yah, there's that. He ran his hand through his hair, "I won't be gone long, two hours tops. I was hoping you'd arrive sooner, but oh well. What do you think? "

"No problem, Dad." I sipped at my soup, it tasted so good on my tongue, warmth rolling down my throat. I ignored the other bit of warmth already there, as I thought of my father running off to a council meeting after me being there only ten minutes.

He smiled, "Excellent. You still have the same room, assuming you know which one that is." He laughed and I smiled, "And Mack, you will be in the room one door down, on the left Same place you used to stay as a kid."

Mack nodded his head and thanked him, before getting up to go get the bags from the truck. Quickly, I slurped down the rest of my soup and hurried out to give him a hand. Tossing my backpack towards me, Mack climbed from the cab into the bed of the truck. I slammed the door and went around, just as his large hockey duffel bag whipped by my face, "Mack!" I laughed, jumping out of the way, "Are you trying to kill me?"

He laughed, setting my small suitcase down lightly, "Sorry Doll, I don't want you dead. Just maimed." He flashed me a grin, and I slapped his arm lightly while he climbed down. I was about to add something, when a large gob of cold snow hit me smack in the back of the head.

I whirled, as the cold slush rolled down my back and I hopped around desperate to get it out. I was about to yell in frustration, when my arms were restrained in a tight hug. I squirmed excitedly, as I smelt the faint scent of lilac's and heard the jangle of bracelets. I turned to see the worn face of my Gran.

Her long peppered hair was pinned back with a pair of chopsticks, and her light blue eyes winked mischievously from behind her colourful frames. She was taller than me, about half a foot or so. She was also very curvy, with a body most young girls would kill for. She reached up and ran a hand through my knotted dark hair that was once the same as her own, "You're as beautiful as ever, Danielle." She murmured.

Mouthing a soft thank you, I buried my face into her again. When I pulled away, she flashed me a bright smile and laced her fingers with my own. I swooped to grab my backpack, and was about to get my suitcase when a low voice spoke from behind me, "Don't bother, I'll get it for you." I turned to look, but before I could see who had spoken, Gran was pulling me into the house.

"Now, Danielle," Gran started, leaning me into her, "Why don't we get you inside and unpacked? Then we'll watch a movie or two." She held my shoulders tightly, and smiled warmly. I nodded, and followed her to my bedroom. When I pushed back the door, I was amazed.

The room looked the way it had years ago, but did not stand still. The window was slightly open, a fresh night breeze peeling across the small open space. My twin bed rested against the far right wall, the headboard beside the window. A padded quilt sewn by hand lay across the foot of the bed, folded neatly. I walked in slowly, as Gran stood by the door watching. I set my bag down on the old chest, and ran my fingers across the green velvet of the window seat. In the corner of the room stood an open wardrobe, the top shelves bare. Slowly, Gran came up behind me and hugged my shoulders, "It's good to have you home, Sweetheart." Just then, there was a knock on the door as we both turned to see who was there.

A tall boy leaned in the doorway, my small suitcase sitting beside his feet. One of his hands gripped the door frame, and the other hung casually by his side. He had red hair, dark in tone. And big grey eyes with streaks of lighter and darker greys. This must be Faron. He smiled when I made eye contact with him, making me smile meekly. He released the door frame, and ran his hand behind his neck, "Here's your suitcase."

"Thanks." I walked over to him, and pulled the beaten up suitcase into my room and onto my bed. Smiling, I looked back to him, "I'm Danielle."

"Faron," His words seemed to roll of his tongue, and become tangible. The room felt electric. Gran shot him an odd look, and the electricity seemed to slowly fade.

"Pleasure to meet you," I smiled again. I flipped open the top of the suitcase, and pulled out a few things. Gran was standing in the doorway talking with Faron, as I began putting some folded clothes onto the empty shelves of the wardrobe. By the time I was halfway through, Faron had disappeared and Gran was off helping Mack.

I took a moment to sit on the bed, and breathe in the refreshing scent of home. My eyes were closed, and a knock on the door startled me.

"Sorry," Lizbeth said, she tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear, "Gran was wondering if you'd like to come watch a movie with us?"

"I was actually going to shower, but I'll take up the offer after?" I toyed with a pair of pajamas sitting on the bed. She nodded, and disappeared down the hallway, leaving me to do as I pleased.

Quickly, I snatched up the pajama shorts and a big t-shirt. I grabbed a towel from the trunk, and headed to the washroom. After closing the door behind me, I turned the tap in the shower and heard the old pipes whine to life. I pulled off my watch and checked the time, 11:42 pm. I showered fast, enjoying the feel off the water on my back.

As I stepped out of the shower, I realized I hadn't brought clean underwear with me. Wrapping my towel tightly around my torso, I sighed as I saw it only came to mid thigh. I opened the door and rushed out, colliding with something big and warm that let out an audible oof. I looked up and saw the surprised face of Faron, as he steadied me by grabbing my shoulders.

We were standing close, very little room separated us. I was suddenly aware of the fact I was still in my towel, and my face turned beet red. "You okay?" He asked, brushing a lock of wet hair from my face.

"Uh, yah." I nodded, as he released me gently. I pulled my towel a little tighter, and bent to pick up my pajamas that I had dropped, but Faron beat me to it.

He gingerly pressed the fabric into my hands, "Are you coming downstairs to watch a movie with us? It's Dante's Peak. " He smiled, again rubbing a hand behind his neck. I nodded again, and he stepped by to let me change in my room.

My face was still flushed by the time I got downstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Two. I'm trying to get more updates out,
And i hope this will suffice.
But my foreshadowing isn't all that good.
Also, let me know what you think of the new layout.
i applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=27696770
For curious readers.

EDITED