Status: Completed :D (Maybe an Epilogue...idk)

Windows of the Soul

Chapter Twenty-Five

Hours later, Penny and I were ready. It seemed like I was transformed from an average, everyday girl to a princess. The dress fit snug against my body, my hair was up off my neck, and I felt beautiful. Penny looked even more gorgeous than I did. Her blue strapless dress took everyone’s breath away; Ryan was going to have the prettiest date at Homecoming. Tessa’s babysitter, a girl from school who wasn’t going to Homecoming, finally arrived. She took two looks at our dresses and said, “You guys look great.”

“Thanks,” I said. She had light blonde hair, almost pale, and pretty blue eyes. Her name began with an L, but I couldn’t think of it at the moment.

“Our mom will be home later tonight, between 10 and 11. I don’t know when we’ll be back,” I gestured to Penny and I. Penny smiled at the girl, and nodded outside. I thanked the girl and we went out. Ryan stood outside, looking dashing in a black tux. He shuffled his weight from foot to foot uncomfortably, but when he saw Penny he froze. I stood back as Penny held onto the railing and stepped down the stairs. Ryan held out his hand, which Penny gratefully accepted.

“You look amazing,” Ryan said, kissing her hand. She giggled, her cheeks turning a rosy pink. He held open the door for her, and Penny looked up at me.

“What are you waiting for?” Penny called. I snapped out of the trance and hurried to the other side of Ryan’s car. Jace and I agreed to meet at Homecoming, though now that I thought about it, I wasn’t sure why. I didn’t question it, though, as Ryan, Penny and I went to the dance. Penny sat in the front with Ryan; I couldn’t help but notice Ryan’s hand resting on Penny’s knee. I wished Jace was there now, even though I would see him in a few short minutes.

We pulled in front of the school, and I did a double take. I had never before seen the school so revitalized. It looked great; the gym was renovated to match this year’s theme, “Wonderland”. We all got out of Ryan’s car, with Ryan tossing the keys to the valet and whispering something to him. I pulled Penny to the side and said, “I’ll catch you later. I’m going to find Jace.”

“Have fun,” Penny said, wiggling her eyebrows up and down.

“You too,” I giggled. I hitched up my skirts, not wanting them to drag them on the dirty ground, and looked around. People stared as I walked around, looking for my Prince. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, wandering around aimlessly. I entered the dance, thinking maybe Jace was in there. I couldn’t find him anywhere, and equal feelings of anger and sadness fluttered around in my head. I considered interrupting Penny, who was dancing with Ryan, but decided against it. I felt abandoned, so I walked over to the wall, teetering on my heels, and leaned against it. I could hear the whispers start, but then Jace appeared. He slowly crossed the room towards me, raking over my body with his eyes. I pushed off the wall and met him halfway. We didn’t touch, and we didn’t say anything. We just looked at each other.

I interrupted the moment by saying, “Where were you?”

“I was setting up your surprise.” That took me by surprise.

“What?” I said, confused. Jace took my hand and gently lead me to the middle of the dance floor. Girls in flowing skirts and guys in dashing tuxes stared enviously at us, but I didn’t let it bother me.

“Act like I didn’t say anything; you’ll find out soon enough.” Jace said, twirling me around. I settled into Jace’s arms, resting my head on his shoulder. I didn’t know how long we remained like that. “Did I tell you that you looked beautiful?” Jace whispered into my ear. I leaned back so I could see his face.

“No, you didn’t,” I said, a smile tugging at one corner of my mouth.

“You look beautiful, Ali,” Jace said with warm sincerity. I blushed like Penny did earlier. Jace leaned down and kissed me, his soft lips against my own. I heard intakes of breath around us as we continued our lip-lock, before Jace pulled away. I was breathless.

“You want to take a break?” Jace asked, leading me off the dance floor. I fell into a chair on the side, Jace crouching in front of me. “Are you thirsty?”

“Yeah, but I can get it,” I said, starting to get up again. My heels were killing me, and I could feel blisters starting to form on my feet. Eww.

“No, you sit there,” Jace said. He pecked me on the lips and weaved through the crowd, disappearing. Penny suddenly pushed her way from the dance floor, Ryan on tow.

“Where’s Jace?” She asked breathlessly.

“You just missed him. He went to get us drinks,” I said.

“Darn,” Penny said. “Well, let me know when you find him. I want to take a couples picture!”

“Okay,” I laughed, watching them walk away. Jace should be back by now, I thought wryly, standing. I stood on my tip toes---which was hard in heels---but I didn’t spot his ruffled head. I went in the direction he headed in, but one couple in front of me wouldn’t move. “Excuse me,” I said, trying to push my way around them. Bel turned, her lipstick smudged from her lip-lock with her date. She grinned at me, a smug expression on her face.

“Hello, Ali,” Bel said.

“What the hell?” A masculine voice said. It was Bel’s date. I met the eyes of the boy, and my own eyes turned rocky hard. It was Jace.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am going to finish this before school starts. I am going to finish this before school starts. This is the mantra I keep repeating to myself, because I want to finish this story. I see 2 to 3 more chapters before this is finished. And I'm not going to write a sequel, sorry. :(
Thank you for bearing with me readers!
-K (: