Sequel: Dare To Have A Doubt

You having fun there Cas?

Be human

Sunny would never get used to travelling with Castiel, even when he’d wrapped his hand softly around hers she didn’t understand what happened all she knew that was when her eyes opened again she recognised the quiet street and she recognised the dry heat that she’d only ever felt in Arizona. Slowly her eyes gazed around and she picked out every little detail that she could but everything was a little much, suddenly though Castiel appeared in her point of view and she couldn’t stop the smile across her lips from growing wider

“Please tell me we’re really where I think we are, this isn’t just some angel dream you’ve made up to make me happy” she moved slightly closer to him as a car drove down the empty road, washing them with a bright light before it vanished again “tell me this is real Cass”

“You are back in Arizona Sunny” he let out a small sigh “we can only stay long enough for you to see your family before I need to take you back” they caught eyes for a few seconds before Sunny threw her arm around his neck and pulled him downwards for soft kiss, she pulled back and let her hand drop to his neck “thank you” she flashed him a light smile then tugged him along the street behind her “my moms house is just along the street”

“Sunny, you need to remember that you haven’t been home in three months, the police have probably been informed that you are missing. How do you think your mother will react when you simply appear at her doorstep with someone like me?” she stopped walking and turned to face him before he got the chance to walk into her back

“What do you mean someone like me? Cass…you…I like you and bringing me home almost makes up for everything you’ve done, just…don’t do any of your angel stuff like vanishing from the room or using that super strength of yours okay?” she gripped his free arm lightly “just be human Castiel, we’ll tell them that you found me and brought me home and when it’s time to leave I’ll tell them that I need to go home to my apartment”

“You won’t want to leave again once you see them” his voice was laced with sadness and somewhere deep inside Sunny knew she wouldn’t want to leave either but instead she shook her head and offered him a small smile “you can’t lie to an angel, no matter how deep you try to hide it Sunny”

“I just need to see them, to make sure they’re okay” she let go of his hand and rushed the rest of the way to the large house, only to be greeted by Castiel already on the porch “I’ve missed them all so much…did you know that my sister-in-law was pregnant? She’s probably had the baby by now…I don’t even know what she had” Sunny flashed him a sad smile then watched as he lifted his hand and knocked against the wood

“I don’t think I can get used to doing that” he confessed quietly, he then jumped slightly as Sunny lifted his arm to rest it over her shoulders “what are you doing?” the confusion was laced thickly within his words, his eyes crumpled slightly as she curled herself into his body and wrapped her own arm around his waist “Sunny-” he was cut off by the light from inside the house being switched on and shining through the glass in the front door.

Everything from that point seemed to go in slow motion. The door was pulled open to reveal her older brother Alex stood with his eyes half lidded, then he realised that she was stood there and his eyes burst open. He’d tugged her from Castiel’s grip and wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug, he’d pulled her into the house calling on the rest of her family to join them, she remembered the tears both of them cried but everything else seemed to be in some sort of blur.

Her mom appeared in the doorway, tears already spilling over her cheeks before rushing forward joining the family hug then her sister-in-law appeared cradling a small baby against her chest. Sunny felt like her lungs were going to collapse with the amount she was crying until she spotted Castiel’s slouched figure in the doorway through her tears, it was then she pulled free of the hug and rushed towards him, gripping his hand and pulling him further into the room

“This is Castiel” she hiccupped slightly “he brought me home”.

&&

Her family had forgotten about sleeping, too happy that she was actually home to go back to bed and wait until morning. Sunny herself pushed through her exhaustion and tried to answer all of their questions

Where had she been? Who took her? Why was she bandaged up? Where was Lilly? She couldn’t think of any truthful way to answer them without sounding like she’d lost her mind, instead her eyes had just filled with tears and she’d cried about how happy she was to be home, how fantastic it was to see all of them and she was so sorry she’d been gone for so long. She’s almost burst into tears all over again when the little ginger cat that had been left behind in the race to get out of her apartment appeared and hopped up onto her knee.

She got to hold her niece named Summer as some sort of ode to the aunt she might never have met and she received her invitation to Alex’s wedding, she promised to be there with bells on but of course she and Castiel knew she’d never see him tie the knot. Castiel had kept quiet at Sunny’s side while she tried her best to fill her family in on where she’d been, he only spoke when someone remembered he was sat there long enough to ask him a question before he went back to softly squeezing Sunny’s fingers with his own.

“We should eat!” her mom cried as the small clock began beeping telling them it was close to 4 am “I’ve got some left over dinner from last night, I can heat it up and we can eat it at the table” she clasped her hands together in front of her chest as a doe eyed look fell across her face “Castiel you’re welcome to join us, I’m just so grateful that you found my daughter and brought her home again. I don’t know what I can do to repay you” her eyes watered again before she quickly got up from her seat and hugged him tightly, Sunny watched in amusement as Castiel awkwardly hugged her mom back.

“Okay mom” Alex cleared his throat realising how uncomfortable Castiel appeared then softly sat his hands on her shoulder and pulled her back “lets uh, lets go set up the table and we can all eat okay?” he flashed Sunny a warm smile that made her chest ache, she didn’t want to leave this again, she couldn’t go months between her next visit, not again.

“I’m going to put Summer to bed” her sister-in-law smiled lightly as she got to her feet and left the room, Alex and her mom left quickly afterwards rambling to each other about what they should cook and how the table should be set but soon their voices faded out and Sunny was left alone with Castiel

“You know we should leave soon, I’ve already let you stay an hour longer than I should have. Sam and Dean will probably have gone crazy looking for you” the woman didn’t respond, simply got to her feet and began making her way around the family room stopping every so often to pick up photographs or look at the small trinkets her mother had decorating the room “I told you that you wouldn’t want to leave, you promised me that you would be able to go when the time came” the angels voice was a deep whisper as he got to his feet, he crossed the room and gripped her arm slightly rougher than he normally would “the angels and the demons will be able to track you if you stay in the open for too long”

“I know Cass” she snapped “I know okay? Just give me this. After everything you’ve done and all the people you’ve hurt just let me have this meal with my family” she turned to look at him with a sad expression “please Cass, don’t make me leave just yet”

“I’m sorry we need to leave” he told her quietly, she stared at him for a few seconds before her face became a nasty sneer and she tugged away from him violently “Sunny” he hissed following after her “Sunny come back” quickly he grabbed her arm, and as if the contact was burning her skin she began screaming. Blood curdling screams that brought her family running. Castiel was quicker though and brought his fingers against her forehead zapping them from the room.

When Sunny’s eyes opened again she was no longer inside her warm family room but stood outside in the cold darkness of Bobby Singer’s untidy backyard, she tugged out of Castiel’s arms and turned in a full circle taking in her surroundings. She felt warm tears sting her eyes before her gaze landed on Castiel again

“NO!” the word escaped her lips in a painful cry before she lashed out and began slapping his chest angrily “NO! WHY DID YOU TAKE ME AWAY? I WANT TO GO HOME CASS! I DON’T WANT TO BE HERE WITH YOU OR WITH DEAN OR WITH SAM! I DON’T WANT TO BE WITH ANY OF YOU ANYMORE! YOU RUINED MY LIFE!” she cried as loud sobs shook her ribcage “just take me home Castiel, didn’t you see how happy I was there? Please”

There was silence for a few seconds before she fell into Castiel’s open arms, his grip tightened to stop her from dropping to the ground like a stone weight. The woman clung to him for a few minutes, crying violently against his chest until someone cleared thier throat softly from behind them. Sunny uncurled herself and turned to Bobby as he slowly made his way down the steps of the porch

“You boys can head back here” he spoke into the phone then paused “yeah she’s here, Castiel’s with her” he continued in a knowing tone “she’s upset so I’d hurry up, who knows what the angels done this time” he shook his head “alright, see you soon” he ended the call and sat his hands on his hips staring at them “you need to talk to the boys about how you’re feeling Sunny, you can’t hold that amount of resentment for the two people who saved your life in the first place”

“Saved my life? If I hadn’t bumped into Sam at the store three months ago I would never have invited them back to my apartment to stay and those demons would never have come after me and Lilly and I’d be going to work tomorrow and I’d be sitting with my cat and I’d be so much happier not knowing what the hell was in waiting in the shadows Bobby”

Bobby opened his mouth to speak but he was cut off by the roar of the Impala’s engine, all three turned to stare at the car as it slowed to a stop. Quickly Sam and Dean clambered from the front seat at exactly the same time but only Dean rushed towards her and pulled her in for a tight, worried hug.

“Are you okay? Where the hell did you go?” he held her out in front of him, turning her in a circle to check that she was still in one piece. She hated being treated like a child and being around the four men she was always with that’s all she ever felt like. Shoving him away she stumbled back slightly “what?”

“Stop doing that!” she yelled in a wavering voice “stop treating me like a little girl, I’m twenty nine years old! I want to be going to work and I want to have a home and a cat and I want to be settling down. I don’t want to be on the run from some asshole demons or some dick bag angels, I’m so tired of all of this! This is my life I’m talking about, my life that you’ve taken control of. If the apocalypse is going to happen at least let me die with my damn family!”

After a few moments silence Dean let out a small, sarcastic laugh followed by a solid “no”

“What do you mean no? You can’t control what I do Dean” she shook her head and folded her arms across her chest

“I’m saying no because you aren’t so stupid as to walk away from the four people who are your ass alive. If you want to die, then you can go but I don’t think you will because we’re your friends Sunny and the sooner you get over this I hate all of you mentality you’ve got going on the sooner we can stop the apocalypse and save your family and get you back to Arizona with a cat and your apartment okay?”

Sunny couldn’t bring herself to say anything, she didn’t really want to die but she did want to see her family again. Slowly she shrugged and let out a quiet sigh

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing Dean, I’m scared okay? And I’m so tired of everything” she jumped feeling a hand being pressed against her lower back lightly but relaxed when she found Castiel at her side “I just need to talk a walk okay? I won’t go far” quickly she grabbed Castiel’s hand and pulled him along behind her as they vanished into the cars.

Once she was sure they were far enough away Sunny stopped walking and grabbed Castiel’s free in hand “I’m sorry, I know you were just bringing me here to keep my family safe, I shouldn’t have slapped you or cried all over you-” she was cut off as Castiel kissed her softly, she stumbled backwards slightly until she was resting against the cool metal of one of the old cars.

As her mind seemed to vanish into the black pit caused by Castiel’s kiss Sunny knew she couldn’t stay mad at him. She knew things were going to look up before they got bad again.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit: Be human- Brighton