Regrets A Waste Of Time

Taking Care Of Business

When I walked inside my house, I heard two voices coming from my kitchen, my moms and Alex’s. It didn’t surprise me for one minute that Alex had let himself in, just like Zack had at Elizabeth’s, well Lizzy’s. I walked into the kitchen to see Alex eating a turkey sandwich, sometimes I think my mom took better care of him than she did me.

“Well there is Davey, how was your history project?” asked my mom with a smile, I shrugged.

“It was good, we got some of it done already” I said, she smiled a pulled a sandwich out of the fridge for me, I sat down beside Alex and took a bite, Alex eyed me curiously but didn’t say anything. My mom stirred the pasta sauce on the stove before she walked into the den and the voice of Oprah filled the two-story home.

“So, I told my parents I was staying with you the entire weekend, I already asked your mom” said Alex, I nodded, my mouth was full of turkey.

“Alex, you are here every weekend and not to mention some school nights, I think your parents are waiting for you to ask them can you live with me” I said with a smile, he shrugged.

“Probably so, do you think we can sneak out to go to Zack’s party?”

“We won’t have to, my parents are going to the country club that night, we can stay out late plus he only lives down the street so we can walk and not take my car” I said, Alex looked excited, but I was pretty sure that I was the one who was more excited. I was actually going to a high school party at the guy I was totally crushing on house. I wanted to tell someone, I didn’t want to keep the two biggest secrets of my life from my best friend, but not knowing how he would react made me think twice about ever telling him.

“It’s like the Fates want us at this party” said Alex looking to the ceiling and saying what looked like a small prayer, I rolled my eyes.

“Maybe so” I said as my mom walked into the kitchen to stir the sauce, she smiled sweetly at us before going back to Oprah. I knew today was going to give me a lot to write in my journal which was in my hoodie pocket like always, it never left my side.

“So, I brought over Kill Bill vol. 2 over, want to watch it?” asked Alex with a smile, already knowing the answer, I love action movies.

“Do you even have to ask?” I said with a smile.

The sound of the dvd menu woke my from my sleep, I didn’t even remember falling asleep, the last thing I remember was the epic scene with Lucy Liu. Alex’s arm was draped around my chest, which wasn’t unusual since we usually slept in the same bed, I mean it’s a king sized bed and he is my best friend. I slipped out from under his arm, I walked into my bathroom, I took off my jeans and slipped on some sleeping pants. I walked back into my bed room, turned off the tv, then opened up my laptop that was on my desk. I clicked on the Academy’s website, then clicked on the side bar that said ‘Roster’, I clicked the M and went to Zack’s picture, like I said I was hopeless. He was smiling his mysterious smile, his hazel eyes that seemed to hold all the secrets and answers to the universe. I heard Alex stirring and quickly exited the page like I was looking at porn or something.

“What are you doing?” he asked rubbing his eyes and moving his long bangs out of his eyes.

“Just checking email” I lied, Alex nodded.

“ We need to get rest, party, tomorrow” said Alex between yawns.

“Ok, Alex” I said rolling my eyes and getting back into bed, and soon sleep took over.

. I was sitting in the den watching Power Rangers when Alex walked in with a huge bowl of cereal, I just smiled and rolled my eyes, he shrugged. My parents had already left to go have brunch, which means they would be gone for the rest of the day. My cellphone made the beeping sound to reminding me I had a text, I clicked the phone to see it was from a number I didn’t recognize, I opened the message. Hey, it’s Jack, why was Jack texting me?

Hey Jack. Sup?

Not much, was wondering if I could come over and hang out until the party?

Sure, Alex and I are just watching tv. I live in Live Oaks, 368

Be there soon, later

“Jack is on his way over” I said, Alex looked excited, no doubt I would hear mostly them talking about the band Alex wanted to start.

“Cool, I gave him your number the other day.” said Alex

“That’s cool, I was wondering how he got it”

“I need to start thinking of a band name, I was thinking about the name, Stereo Skyline” said Alex thoughtful.

“No, that sounds too pretty boy” I said, Alex nodded.

“You’re right, maybe one day I will get it” he said, I shrugged.

“Maybe so, maybe listen to some more New Found Glory” I suggested as the doorbell rang, I went to open it to see Jack standing there with a boy I had seen at school a few times, Rian, I think is his name.

“Hey, I hope you don’t mind but I brought Rian over too” Jack said, I smiled.

“That’s cool come in, we are in the den” I said pointing the way, they walked into the den, Alex looked cheerful, smiling his half smile.

“I finally talked Rian here into maybe being the drummer” said Jack, Alex smiled.

“Hell yeah! That’s awesome” said Alex, Rian shrugged.

“I haven’t said I would yet, maybe we can jam a few times and see how it feels” said Rian, Alex’s face fell but he still looked hopeful. I let them talk about the band as I went back to the television, anxiety building in my body, I couldn’t wait for the party tonight, more importantly I couldn’t wait to see Zack.