Status: Completed

Ever After Never Came

You're Living A Lie, You Can't Hide From Me

I made my way back to the bus to check on Jack and see if he was feeling better. The bus was quiet, but I found him sitting in his bunk, headphones in, and eyes glued to the screen of his Macbook. I slid into the bunk next to him, pulling out his headphones.

“Hey,” he smiled. “I was listening to something.”

I smiled back slightly and shrugged. “You can listen later. I’m sorry,” I muttered.

“About?” Jack looked over at me.

“Breaking your guitar,” I answered. “I know it was your favorite.”

Jack sucked in a breath. “Uh, yeah, well I know you were really pissed off. Not to say I wasn’t pissed, but I know why you did it.”

I nodded, leaning my head on his shoulder and looking at the screen. “What are you doing?”

“Updating my Twitter, and checking my email,” Jack answered. “I haven’t had a chance to really get online lately.”

“Me either. Can I see it when you’re done?” I asked.

Jack nodded and we spent the rest of the afternoon being lazy. Jack had sound check and the show later that night, so it was nice to spend some time with him before he was too busy to notice.

I watched from the side stage, trying to keep my focus on Jack. Unfortunately, my eyes kept drifting to Alex. I loved how he spoke with the crowd, the smirks that appeared on his face when he made a very inappropriate joke. I laughed as I watched the exchange between Jack and Alex.

Jack had great communication with the audience as well. Between he and Alex, the crowd was roaring in laughter. I smiled at Jack’s antics. I love him, I reminded myself. And I really did, but now the love I had for Jack and the feelings I was experiencing for Alex were competing for the number one spot.

Jack held a part of my heart, there was no doubt about it. But now Alex held a part of my heart as well, he was one of my best friends, he cared about me, and I loved him just as much. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen, but I knew that this couldn’t keep going on.

I felt terrible about cheating on Jack with Alex, and I couldn’t love Alex because Lisa was my best friend. I closed my eyes at I thought about Lisa. Shit, she didn’t know what happened and I’m sure that she’d freak out and hate me. Lisa could never know, meaning that Alex and I could never have anything. I frowned, realizing that I had no choice. I was with Jack or with no one at all.

I was startled out of my thoughts when I heard my name being called over the PA system.

“Abby, Jack asked you a question,” Alex teased. “Earth to Abby.”

“Babe, are you daydreaming about me?” Jack asked with a smirk. I laughed at him, finally realizing that people where waiting for me to answer.

“What?” I mouthed, peeking out at the crowd.

Jack leaned into the microphone again. “I need my guitar, the black one with a special message?”

I looked around for one of the guys to go out and give Jack his guitar; there was no way I was going out there. Flyzik was running back and forth to keep things running smoothly. Evan, our sound tech, was busy trying to keep Jack and Alex’s microphones and speakers from crapping out. Grieco was busy with Rian, putting his drummer tech skills to good use. I had no clue where Colussy was, probably doing work. My eyes widened; I would have to go out there. I grabbed Jack’s guitar and walked carefully to him. The crowd roared as I stepped out. I smiled and waved at the kids, handing Jack his guitar. I tried to run away quickly, but Jack grabbed my wais and pulled me to him.

“Isn’t she just the most beautiful girl you ever did see?” Jack asked the crowed as he handed me the guitar he was no longer using.

“Dude, how’d you even score with a girl like Abby?” Alex teased. “She’s too good for you!”

“Whatever man, she loves the Barakitten,” Jack shot back. “Plus I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t enjoy sex with your tiny dick.”

Laughter erupted around us. Alex laughed into his mic, but I could tell it was forced.

“That’s not what she said last night,” Alex retorted. I looked at him, hoping to catch his attention and call him off. I did not need this to come out in front of hundreds of fans. I clutched Jack’s guitar, pleading silently that Alex would shut up.

“Yeah right,” Jack laughed. “Abby wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole. Right, baby?”

“Right,” I agreed, still looking at Alex. I caught the hurt in his eyes as he faced the crowd.

“Give it up for my best friend and the best guitar handler person ever, Abby Stone!” Alex pointed at me and the crowd cheered. I smiled at Alex in gratitude for keeping our secret. I nearly ran offstage as they started playing another song.

I ran out to the merch booth as soon as the boys started the encore. I had to help Vinny; those kids would be swarming the booth as soon as Alex said goodnight. I was right, of course. As soon as I had rounded the dividing table, a mob of fans assaulted us with orders. I collected money as Vinny handed out merchandise. These boys were making a killing tonight.

Finally after everyone was gone, I walked toward the bus, with a headache from all the yelling. Alex was outside, on his phone talking to someone. I was about to brush past him and get on the bus, but he grabbed my arm, holding me back.

“No, I don’t want to get back together,” he said into his phone. “Lisa, what we had was great, but that’s the point. It’s what we had. I just think it would be better if we just stay friends.”

I looked at him incredulously. Was he seriously doing this?

“Lisa, please don’t make this harder than it has to be,” he pleaded. He gave me his puppy dog look and I sighed. I was useless with that look. I crossed my arms and waited while he wrapped up his phone call.

“Bye,” he muttered. He ended the call and sighed as he pocketed his phone. “Hey.”

“Hi,” I mumbled, looking around to make sure no one else was outside.

“Jack’s asleep,” he said. “If that’s who you’re looking for.”

“No, just checking to see who else was out here,” I replied. “What’d you stop me for?”

“Just missed you.” Alex shrugged.

“Alex, we see each other all the time.” I lowered my voice. “We slept together not even twenty-four hours ago.”

Alex nodded and looked around for a second before grabbing my hand and pulling me to the other side of the bus.

“What are you doing?” I asked, looking behind us. “Alex!”

“Hush, just come on,” he said simply. He led me off to the trees that I’d been at earlier on the hill. He was pulling me along too quickly and I was tired. I was out of breath by the time we got to the top.

“What the hell, Alex?” I inhaled deeply trying to catch my breath.

“I just wanted some alone time with you, okay? We’re not leaving for a few more hours anyway.”

He planted himself down the grass, leaning up against the tree. He patted the ground in front of him, in between his legs for me to sit. I rolled my eyes and instead sat next to him. We looked at the venue and the buses in silence for a while. I could feel the tension between us and it was uncomfortable.

“What are you thinking?” Alex asked timidly, playing with blades of grass.

“How screwed I am,” I sighed. I might as well tell him what I’m thinking right? He was, after all, one of my best friends. “Alex, this isn’t going to work out and I’m pretty sure you know that. I love you, but I’m not in love with you. I’m in love with Jack.”

Alex scoffed. “Oh please, I know that you have to be kind of in love with me. Otherwise, this morning wouldn’t have happened. Stop lying to yourself and just admit it.”

“There will be no admitting of anything! I love Jack, okay? I love him,” I reiterated.

“Is that really what’s stopping you, or is it the fact that if Lisa find’s out you’re going to be seen as the bad person?” Alex asked.

“You think that I care more about my reputation than of our relationship?” I asked incredulously. “I love having you as a friend, Alex. Okay? I care about you, but I love having Lisa as a friend too. She was one of my best friends when I first hung out with you. How could I betray her like that?”

“Because we have something that you’re denying. We could be great together. I wouldn’t hurt you like Jack did,” Alex stated.

“He made a mistake, just like I did!” I defended. “I made a mistake, just like Jack, and now I understand his reasoning.”

“No you don’t! You’re just guilty! That’s why you’re avoiding me,” Alex said, hurt.

“Of course not!”

“Yeah it is, maybe Jack should know about what happened last night,” Alex eyed me.

I looked at him with a frown. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that maybe I should tell Jack about our little rendezvous,” Alex stood up.

“What? Alex, no!” I stood up next to him. He turned to walk toward the bus. I grabbed his arm. “Alex, no please don’t tell him,” I pleaded.

“Either you tell him, or I will.” Alex glared at me.

I stood speechless, trying to find the right words. “I-I’ll tell him, soon.”

“You have two days,” Alex said and began to walk away.

“Alex,” I trailed off. He stopped but didn’t turn to face me.

“We could’ve made it work, Abby. But you didn’t want to,” he muttered and walked away from me.

I had lost a friend, was about to lose another friend in Lisa when she found out, and was going to lose Jack.

Holy shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I realize that this is short, but I couldn't figure it out any better than this. I'm trying to get it to go in a certain direction. So how do you guys feel about this chapter? Let me know what you're thinking. I only got a few comments, and I honestly wish more of you would comment.

You should all be grateful that I have slave drivers who keep me updating every two weeks. =)

Also I have a surprise for you guys. But I will wait until the last chapter to announce it. I'm sure most of you know what it is already. But still, I like being suspenseful.

Alrighty, thanks for reading!