Status: Completed

Ever After Never Came

I Said Remember This Moment

“So you’re really leaving?” Ashley Ballard, my roommate and one of my closest friends, asked. She sat on her twin sized bed on the left side of the room, watching me pack all my belongings.

“Yeah, I mean, I’m pretty much done with school here,” I shrugged. “You know it wasn’t my plan to stay here very long.”

“Yeah, but you could stay and you know, hang out with me. You could learn something else,” Ashley replied. She curled up on her bed, still slightly hung over from the frat party she’d gone to last night.

“Well, maybe I’ll come back someday, but right now I don’t want to,” I answered, trying to close the one suitcase I actually had finished with. I jumped on top of it, my small frame barely putting enough weight to sip it up. “How on earth did I accumulate so much crap?” I muttered as a flash of light went off. I turned to Ashley who was holding a camera and grinning.

“That was priceless. And it’s going on Twitter,” she laughed.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. “You suck.”

“Yup, that’s why the boys keep coming,” she replied haughtily. I laughed with her. “You sure you don’t want to stay one more semester?”

“Believe me, I’m sure. I want to be with my boyfriend.”

Jack Barakat, guitarist in All Time Low and one of the sweetest people I knew. He was an amazing boyfriend, which I had to brag about. He’d always send me flowers during class or in the cafeteria. I don’t know how he did it, but he always managed to get a photo of my face, beet red with a smile the size of Texas. I suspected that Ashley was his co-conspirator, because Jack could barely remember what I was majoring in, let alone my class schedule.

All Time Low made it big, just like I knew they would. They’d come so far in the past two years. After their TRL debut they skyrocketed to the top with a fan following of teenage girls who would gladly throw themselves at the boys.

I didn’t like it, but as long as they stayed away from Jack, I was okay. Don’t get me wrong, there were some respectful fans that I truly liked. Those were the good fans, the ones I didn’t mind talking to. What I hated was when Jack and I would get cornered in a store and I was forced out of the circle, only to hear girls whispering about how ugly and fat I was. It bothered me, not because they’d talk about me, I was used to that, but because Jack didn’t bother to defend me or even say anything. He’d just tell me that I was overreacting and that I shouldn’t be so upset.

So I’d let it go, because let’s face it, I had him. He came home to me, not them. I didn’t want to be the jealous girlfriend, but when he visited, some of the other girls on campus would try to get his attention. They didn’t care that he was on campus visiting his girlfriend .

One girl, Hannah Addams, who I disliked greatly because she would compete with me in class, went as far as cornering Jack in the cafeteria. I hadn’t gotten there yet because I was conveniently held up by a few of her friends. I should’ve known that those bobble heads didn’t really want help with their projects. I finally gave up on them and made my way to the cafeteria only to find Hannah all over my boyfriend in her stupid short skirt and low-cut top. The worst part was that Jack seemed to be enjoying himself.

Pissed was an understatement for me and the fight that broke out between us was highly embarrassing, especially when pictures and video surfaced online. My Twitter feed was blowing up for weeks with questions on whether we’d broken up, if he’d cheated, or was I just being a bitch. I had to set all my social network pages to private, further proof that All Time Low was definitely making it big and everyone was using my things to link to them.

“Right, the amazing Jack Barakat,” Ashley stated sarcastically.

“What was that for?” I asked.

“I went on the Hustler Club discussion boards yesterday,” Ashley began. I sighed, waiting for her to spill the news. I really hated that fan club sometimes.

“There may or may not be pictures of Jack and Hannah at one of his shows.” Ashley frowned.

I sighed in annoyance and put down the suitcase. “Show it to me.”

“No one knew who she was, but I recognized her.” Ashley pulled out her pink laptop and fired it up. She pulled up a link that she’d bookmarked, logged in and went to photos. “They’re saying that you and Jack are over and now he’s with her. Then I went to her Facebook page and found the same pictures, so I doubt they’re photo shopped.” She opened them for me to see.

There were photos of Jack and Hannah with drinks in their hands laughing and having a great time. I felt my face heat up. Was he seriously that stupid?

I stood up pulling out my Blackberry in the process. “Send them to my email,” I said, heading out the door. I dialed Jack’s number as I walked outside the door.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Jack,” I seethed. I heard him sigh.

“What did I do now?”

“Well gee, Jack, I don’t know. What the heck were you doing with Hannah Addams?” I hissed.

“Abigail, it’s not a big deal. She was at a show, she had met and greet tickets we all hung out. What was I supposed to do?” Jack asked.

“Say hello and move on? You know she hates me and I don’t like her. She was all over you the last time you came to visit me. Did you forget our fight? Maybe you should lurk LiveJournal, because it still hasn’t been forgotten on there.” I walked toward the nearest bench that wasn’t quite so surrounded by people.

“I didn’t do anything with her if that’s what you’re worried about. I wouldn’t do that to you. Abby, come on. I’m supposed to be picking you up today and you want to start a fight?”

I sighed as I sat down. “I’m sorry. I just really can’t stand that she was near you and I wasn’t around.”

“You need to quit being so jealous. You know how I feel about you. I can’t believe that you don’t trust me.” Jack snapped at me. He sighed before speaking again. “I’m sorry, I don’t want to start a fight, but this is really stupid and you know it.”

“I’m sorry,” I apologized again. “I really miss you.”

“I miss you too,” Jack replied. “I’ll be home in a few hours.”

“Okay.” I nodded even though he couldn’t see. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

~*~*~*~*~
I pulled into the Barakat’s driveway. I parked my car, well Jack’s car, and stuffed the keys into the right pocket of my faded jean shorts. I grabbed my bag and popped the trunk to pull out my two suitcases that were back there. Bassam appeared at the doorway smiling. I waved at him and returned the smile.

“Hey there, Bassam,” I greeted.

“Hello Abby,” he answered. “My gosh, how did you manage to fit all of this in that tiny dorm?”

I laughed, shrugging. “I’m really good at stuffing drawers.”

As we stepped inside, the smell of homemade bread and tomato sauce filled the air. I smiled as I automatically entered the kitchen. I loved when Joyce cooked. She stood near the stove stirring her wooden spoon in a sauce pan filled with her famous marinara sauce. Joyce was the queen when it came to making lasagna.

“Hi, Joyce,” I addressed her as I wrapped my arms around her in a hug.

“Oh, hello there dear,” she replied, hugging me back.

“Need any help?” I asked.

“No I’m alright, it’s almost ready.”

I nodded. “Okay, well I’m going to go unpack my bags so I can figure out what I’m taking with me.”

Joyce nodded and went back to her task of making dinner. I trotted up the stairs to my old bedroom where Bassam was just leaving my things. I smiled and thanked him for bringing the suitcases in for me.

I pulled out all my clothes and started separating them into two piles: the pile I’d take with me, and the pile I’d leave here. I had a good rhythm going until I heard a car door slam. I peeked out the window and saw the familiar head of messy dark hair and lanky frame walking up the drive way. I squealed in excitement and rushed down the stairs.

“Jack’s home!” I yelled. I tripped over a rug as he stepped in. He took off his shades and looked at me incredulously.

“Really, babe? You tripped?” He held back his laughter.

I scrambled to my feet still grinning. “Make fun of me later. Right now, just hug me.”

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me, picking me up slightly as he held me close to his chest. I missed him so much. I inhaled his scent, relishing in the spiciness. I didn’t think anyone else could smell as good as Jack, ever.

“Welcome home,” I muttered into his shoulder.

“Thanks, I’m glad to be home,” Jack replied, setting me down. “I missed you.”

“Ditto,” I bit my bottom lip slightly, just staring at Jack like he’d disappear if I blinked.

“What?” he asked as he studied my face.

I shook my head. “Nothing, I just really, really missed you.”

“That’s really, really good to know,” Jack smirked. “And you can show me how much you missed me tonight.” He pulled me closer again, his hands trailing down the small of my back toward my butt.

“Jack!” I hissed, lightly swatting his hand away. “We’re at your parents’ house and they’re right there!”

Jack smirked again and made a silly face at me. “So?”

I kissed him and grabbed his hand. “Your parents want to see you, so hurry.”

After being reunited with the family and eating dinner, Jack and I went upstairs to finish packing. I’m pretty sure Joyce was not convinced, but she let us go anyway. Jack walked into his bedroom and looked around, surveying the area. I laughed at him as I jumped onto his bed. I spent a lot of time in here while he was gone just to feel closer to him. I’m sure Joyce thought I was crazy.

“It’s still your room, why are you freaking out?” I laid on his bed watching as he pulled off his jeans to change into a pair of basketball shorts.

“It’s just weird to be home,” he shrugged. “It’s so much nicer to have so much space.”

I nodded in agreement. “I’ll bet. So, tell me about it. How is it?”

Jack joined me on the bed, stroking my hair as he settled in. “It’s amazing. What else can I say? It’s a party on stage every night. You’ve been to the shows.”

“Yes, but I don’t experience it firsthand like you do. It must be so thrilling to be on stage and know that you rule the night,” I gushed.

“Yeah, it is. It’s definitely what I always wanted. It’s just hard to be away from home and you.”

I kissed him gently and pulled away. “It’s hard, but it worth it right?”

He nodded. “It’s what I want.”

“Then don’t dwell on how hard it is. Your parents and I, we’re so proud of you,” I told him. “Just don’t forget about us.”

“I never could,” Jack stated, rubbing circles on my hip through the thick material of denim. “It’s just such a crazy experience,” Jack laughed.

“Of course it is, Jack. It’s the dream. You guys did it.”

“We did, didn’t we?”

I nodded as I snuggled up against him. Jack didn’t say much of anything else, a complete first for him. He was usually talking my ear off about the crazy things they’d done on tour. I tried getting him into a conversation, but he wasn’t cooperating very well.

“Are you okay Jack?” I asked. Jack didn’t answer me, instead staring at the ceiling. “Jack.”

“Oh, sorry, what?” Jack turned his head toward me.

“I asked if you were okay.”

“Oh, I’m fine, I’m just tired babe. I’m sorry,” Jack replied with a small smile. “Let’s sleep?”

I nodded slowly with a frown as he closed his eyes and snuggled his face in the crook of my neck. I closed mine and pet his dark hair. I could understand him being tired, but the way he was acting didn’t quite feel right. I ignored the odd sensation in my stomach and tried to sleep.

I had my Jack back in my arms, and that’s all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whew! I am so, so sorry you guys. This took forever. I had major writer's block and suddenly I lost interest. But I'm back I swear and I'll try to write as fast as I can. Hope you like this chapter, it's not much so I'm sorry if it's boring, but we're setting things up. The story must be set first.

Thanks to those of you who commented. You make my day.

Comments = Love