Zombie 2.0 1/2

We’re not Clint Eastwood, we don’t even own a cowboy hat.

The fuel in the helicopter was almost on empty when Pilot set the bird down in a field. There weren’t any zombies that they could see which relieved the group as they got out and formed a plan.

“We had to leave everything behind.” Deci said dully. “What do we do now?”

“I’m sure we can get together enough supplies to be able to survive.” Norman said.

“It’s going to take so long. We don’t even have a vehicle to get to supplies. We ended up leaving everything.” Banana looked at the ground as she said it.

“We can go back. When things cool down, when they move on you know? Then we can get our things and we’ll be alright. We’ll head to the mountain-.”

“Do you realize that if those assholes that tried to keep Deci find us, we’re utterly screwed?” Rev snapped and cut Dean off. “We don’t have guns, we don’t have your car for Banana to mysteriously drive through the woods, and run them over. We don’t have anything and maybe we need to realize that.”

“Rev…” Deci started.

“No, he’s right.” Dean said. “We don’t have any way to defend ourselves.”

Pilot went to his chopper and climbed in the back. He pulled out three large black bags and then threw them on the ground and sat down letting his feet dangle.

“What are those?” Norman asked.

“Those are my emergency bags. I put them in the chopper for just such an occasion, you didn’t think I spent all those years in the military and not learn anything did you?”

“No, it’s just I wouldn’t have thought that you had done it. Everything was just chaos.”

“Even so, I did it the first night we had put these things together. Though they’re aren’t so many here to fill the back of a truck, like I had hoped we could of done, but there are enough to get you by.”

“You’re not still going to leave us are you?! Come on! I could see if we were still back there, but we’re all together now. You don’t have to leave.” Ivan said.

“You know that I have to do this. I’m not going to slow you all down.”

“You wouldn’t slow us down!” Ivan yelled.

“Shhh. Let’s keep our voices down guys.” Banana said.

“This is so stupid! You aren’t going to slow us down, you’re the one who actually saved us. You got us off the roof, and you’re not slow!” Rev said. “I realize, I’m a little repetitive, but I’ve had a really rough past couple of hours. Rubber ducky and all.”

Banana, Deci and Dean looked at him and smiled at the inside joke. It wasn’t as bad as it had been, there was room to joke now but they wouldn’t be telling their grand kids that story.

“I understand. But you all have to take in to consideration what I want. You need to respect this. And please also understand that I’m only doing this to ensure your survival.” Pilot said.

“Not to change the subject, but I’m very paranoid that someone is going to jump out of the woods with a chain saw, or something, and get us. What are in those bags?” Banana asked looking around and over her shoulder.

“Good question.” Pilot pointed at them. “That bag has weapons, that bag has explosives and that one has a few days worth of food. MRE’s. You name it.”

“I’ve had MRE’s before. And this was much before this ever happened, they taste pretty good.” Deci said.

“Interesting.” Ivan said and looked at her.

“We need to find shelter for tonight, and then you need to head for the mountain. It’ll be safe to go back to the school in a few days. Unless someone takes everything in a raid, you should be all set.” Pilot said.

“We’d be a lot better if you didn’t have to go off all noble like.” Norman said.

“I am not being noble. We have been through this enough for you to accept everything and grow up. You’re a big boy and you can handle it Norman.”

“Yeah okay.” But he didn’t really mean it.

The sun was starting headed to the sky and they still had no idea where they could find shelter so it was decided. Banana, Deci, and Ivan would stay behind and protect the chopper while the rest would be going out to find some shelter. They all took a few minutes before moving out.

“Well…” Banana paused as she stood next to Dean looking all paranoid. “I just want to say… Don’t get eaten. I would like to have someone to make fun of later.”

“Yes. I can definitely see that you care.” Dean said hooking an arm around her and giving an her a noogie for old times sake.

“Well I can’t spend all my care in one place, now can I? Anyways good luck.” Banana smiled.

“Same to you little one. Stay alive now. Maybe when we get back I’ll show you my poke- SHIT! Noooo! They were left back there! The only one I have is in my wallet…” Dean’s face fell.

“I’m sorry.” Banana patted back.

“Its fine…” Dean sniffled.

“Okay… So what pokemon card DO you have in your wallet?” Banana was very curious.

Dean pulled out his wallet and then proceeded to pull out a card. The back was blue with a red and white pokeball on it.

“Here.” He said handing it to her.

“Charmander?!” Banana asked her face lighting up. “He is one of my favorite pokemon!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! He can evolve into Charzard in its third stage. He is cute and he breaths fire.” She sounded very much not like Banana at this point. Dean took a second and sighed.

“Keep it.”

“WHHHHAAT?!”

“Keep it.”

“WHAAAAT?!”

“KEEP THE GOD DAMN CARD WOMAN JUST KEEP IT!”

“WHHHHHAAAAAATTT?!”

Dean narrowed his eyes. “See look, it’s like this. This card, is like my heart. I love this card. I am giving you my heart…card…Thing. SO JUST TAKE IT!” He put his hands on her shoulders and shook her.

“I just wanted to make sure you were sure.” Banana said and walked off. Dean’s mouth hung open a little.

“Are you ready to go yet?!” Rev said marching up to Dean.

“I could be… Left my heart with that little lady, so I should be good.”

“Awe, and she didn’t give you a handkerchief to tie on the front of your noble steed? Or … vehicle in this case?”

“Not even a damn boogie rag.” Dean sighed a heavier sigh.

“Better luck next time dude.” Rev said patting his shoulder.

They walked off to join the others.

Two minutes and forty seven second later…

“Are they back yet?” Banana asked sitting in the chopper letting her legs dangle down.

“No Banana. It’s only been Two… oh wait…three minutes since they got out of line of sight.”

“I see.” She looked down at the ground.

“I know you are in a hurry to get him back here but sheesh, let ‘em find some shelter first.” Deci said.

“I am not in a hurry to get anyone back…well okay that’s not entirely true, but it’s not true that he is the only one I want back!”

Ivan grinned and sharpened his knife. “You two fight like you’re married.”

“And you stink like you haven’t taken a shower in a few years.” Banana said.

“Hey now, no need to get all hostile on me, I was just poking some fun. In all seriousness though, you two really do fight like cats and dogs. All of you for that matter.”

“That’s because if we didn’t do that, we’d all die. Or something.” Banana said.

“What do you mean you’d all die?”

“I said ‘or something’. For a reason. Mr. Have-to-know-it-all.”

“Hey, come on Banana, he’s just not used to the way we do things. Shit, look at how they all were with Pilot and stuff. They were like a real family.”

“And you guys are a real family too. Don’t act like you all don’t secretly care about each other.”

“It’s no secret the love that Deci shares with Rev.” Banana said.

“And the love that you share with the pie man is? Please, look at you two when you are around each other. It’s just silly that you think that you can hide it that well around us.” Deci grinned at her.

“Uh huh.”

“Well, okay fine, prove me wrong. If you didn’t care about him so much why are you clutching that damn card he gave you like it was your last life line?”

Banana grumbled and stuffed the card in her pocket. “I like charmander.”

“That much?” Ivan asked.

“Yes. That much. It reminds me of a simpler time.”

Deci broke up laughing with Ivan.

“I’m not sure if that was wise words, or a rip off from Zombieland? Or maybe a cover up for your feelings.”

“It was a… I’m done having this conversation and you need to focus on the frontline!”

“Why so whoever sees Dean first can yell ‘look it’s lover boy!’?” Deci asked.

“You know? The next time I see Rev, I’m going to tell him the truth about you.” Banana said.

“You wouldn’t.” Deci said.

“Oh but I would.”

“That’s fighting dirty!”

“I don’t care if it’s rubber ducky clean, or filthy. I will do it. Don’t make me do it.”

“Fine, whatever. You can just sit there and pretend nothing ever happened. And I won’t bring up Dean anymore.”

“Good. And I won’t tell Rev anything.”

“Well…that’s…good. Cuz I’d have to tell Dean all about you.” Deci said and plunked down on the ground next to the chopper.

“YOU…let’s just…forget this conversation ever happened.”

“Wow. You guys truly are the weirdest bunch of people I have ever met.”

“You don’t get out much then do you?” Banana asked.

“Not anymore no.” He chuckled. “But it’s okay. I doubt any of us will be getting out much after we reach the mountain.”

“Do you think we’re all going to be able to stand each other for that long? What if someone does something stupid and we get mad and then we’re all… stuck together?” Banana asked.

“I think the only person who we have to worry about is you. You’re the only one so far that strikes me as the type who would stab someone in their sleep.” Ivan said.

“No, you don’t know Deci very well then. She could very easily stab someone too.”

“I think the thought has crossed my mind over the past few weeks.” Deci said.

“It’s probably more then crossed your mind.” Ivan said. “How do I know you guys haven’t killed someone before?”

“Riiiight, unless you count zombies?” Banana asked.

“No, I don’t mean zombies.”

“Then you mean, real people? No we haven’t killed any real people!” Deci yelled. “What are you crazy? Where did all this paranoia come from anyhow?”

“I’m not paranoid, I just like to be prepared and know who my fellow roommates are going to be. We’ve got a long time coming together, you realize that don’t you?” Ivan said.

“I’m sure that we can get out some times. I mean it’s not like we have to be confined in to one room all the time. Sure that’d be the safest way to do it, but that’s not how we’re going to go about things. Also, once those zombies run out of food, they’ll starve to death. And then we’ll be okay.”

“Do you think that’s going to happen? What if they get smart and decide that brains aren’t all that’s for dinner?” Banana asked.

“You really are the one in the group who crushes dreams aren’t you?” Ivan said in amusement.

“Not just me. You should hear Dean and Rev.”

“Dean strikes me as the type that would rather just bake a pie and put on an apron then to crush all your hope and dreams. Shit, he’d be the one who put your hopes in dreams IN that pie and bake it for you.” Ivan said.

Banana and Deci looked at each other and laughed.

“If anything, he’d be baking that pie for himself, so in the long run he’s eating your hopes and dreams.” Deci said.

“Yeah, good luck prying a piece of pie away from him. You’d have better luck getting a bone from a dog. I guess you could try if you weren’t attached to your fingers.” Banana said.

Their conversation went on for some time until finally the others returned. Rev was the first out along with Dean and then Pilot and Norman not too far behind.

“So did you find a place?!” Banana took off running at Dean, but when everyone gave her a funny look she curved out around him and met up with Pilot instead.

“So…did you erm…kerhmherm… find a uh place to stay?” She kicked at the ground to look casual.

“Awe, how cute is that? She missed me and pretended she didn’t miss me.” Dean said.

“I don’t miss people. I feel a little bit bad when we lose one more person that could be tripped in an escape, so that I can live… but never miss anyone.” Banana said.

“Oh right. That’s what it was.” Dean grinned, knowing that she had missed him a little at least.

“Anyhow, we did find a place to stay. A really… nice… secluded cave!” Rev said smiling a little at the end.

“A cave? For real?” Banana asked.

“Yes. I am for real.” Pilot said from behind her.

They all walked to the chopper and hovered for a few minutes.

“Alright, it’s not too far. All we have to do is just carry our things back. The chopper isn’t going to make it, but we shouldn’t leave it out in the open.” Pilot said.

“So what do we do? Just cover it up?” Deci asked.

“We could do that sure. But we have to move it out o the middle of this opening otherwise those people who were after you before might come here and find this.”

“We really don’t want that to happen.” Banana said.

“They could hunt us down a lot easier from the air. You know HUNT US DOWN!”

“Okay, you made your point bug eyed Reverend.” Dean said throwing his hand up in the air. “So what do we do?”

“I could take the chopper somewhere. It’d be safer for you if the attention was drawn off of you and on me.” Pilot said.

“No you don’t old man, we’re staying together for as long as we can.”

“I think we should stay together now. Especially since we lost the school.” Banana offered glancing at Norman.

“I’m telling you I LOCKED THE GOD DAMN GATE!” Norman shouted.

“Eh, no need to get so testy man. I’m sure you did. Not that it was in any way, shape, or form mentioned that you might have made a mistake.” Banana said to him.

“Any who, I agree. We should stick together.” Deci looked at everyone but her gaze lingered on Pilot. “There aren’t that many of us and it was different when we actually had a stable place but now we are be in a cave. They could be surrounding us as we speak. Not to mention the complete fuckin’ psychos from before. We could use all the help we can-”

“Shhh!” Banana whispered loudly. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Dean asked.

“That!” Banana exclaimed.

Everybody paused and listened. They couldn’t hear anything.

“What is it that you hear?” They all asked her in surprising unison.

“….” She looked at everyone. “Sack.”

“Dammit!” Deci, Dean, and Rev said.

“But no really. Did you hear that?” Banana asked rather seriously.

“You’re not gonna say sack again are you?” Deci asked.

“No, I swear I heard something. Like, movement or something. It wasn’t a “uhhh” noise, just rustling maybe but not the wind.”

They all looked between each other. Clearly the Banana had left the building.

“Um… Are you…okay? Your sorta talking in circles here…” Deci asked worried that her friend had snapped from long exposure to the wilderness.

“What? NO! I swear there is something out there!” Banana said but everyone looked at her skeptically. She grabbed her gun. “Fine. I will go investigate. By myself.” She then marched out of the chopper and in to the woods.

Once again the all looked at each other and then outside to see Banana disappear around the corner.