Zombie 2.0 1/2

I never said that…..

Back at the cave everything was quiet. They were trying hard to remain calm but Dean hadn’t woken up and they weren’t sure about the fire that was now spreading everywhere.

“As soon as we get the chance we need to get out of here.” Pilot said looking at Dean. “He’s fine, he should wake up soon.”

“Are you sure? I mean, he has been knocked out twice in the past forty-eight hours. Isn’t that a bad thing?” Banana asked.

“At least it wasn’t my fault this time.” Deci said looking at knocked out Dean.

“The chopper is out of juice. We’re not going to be able to use that any more. And as for the vehicles I don’t know what we’re going to do.” Pilot said.

“We’re going to get everything ready and get a few winks before we head off. Do you think you could stay up with Dean and make sure he’s okay?” Norman asked looking at Banana.

She looked around. “Er, I guess?”

“Good.”

After everyone laid down and fell asleep Banana sat and twiddled her thumbs. She wasn’t sure why they wanted her to stay up and check on him, she didn’t know anything about concussions or medical help. He could wake up and think he was somewhere else or someone else and try to kill her.

Of course that was her way of being paranoid, or trying to get out of something. No one believed her however they knew she was just trying to avoid having to be around Dean, whether he was conscious or not.

It was only an hour before Dean’s eyes opened and he shot up.

“AHH!”

“HEY!” Banana jumped up too and stepped in front of him.

“Oh thank God!” Dean sighed and sat back down. “Whew, light headed.”

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Besides the fact I think my brain might be damaged… Yeah.”

“Well your brain was damaged before that. I don’t think it will change anything.” Banana said nervously but trying to joke. She sat down cross-legged in front of him.

“Jee. Thanks.”

“Look…” Banana looked around anxiously. She really didn’t want to be here right now but she knew it had to get out there. “I… I… am sorry and not sorry about before. I am sorry that I brought up your girlfriend. It was very wrong of me to do so and I feel horrible. On the other hand… I am not sorry one bit. I may have gone about it completely the wrong way but… I do feel like you are trying to change me. I… feel like that you want me to be HER and not me.” She swallowed still not looking at him. “You… You just don’t get it and no matter how much I tell you just won’t get it. I CAN’T CHANGE! I can’t be all rainbows and sunshine when I have been doom and gloom all 21 years of my life.”

There was a long silence. Banana looked around the cave to see everyone still asleep. Dean didn’t say anything. That probably intensified the nervousness she felt. She cleared her throat.

“God I can’t believe I am saying all of this. I feel so… I can’t say it…” She placed a hand over her eyes. “I really… do care for you. I just… I know I’ll be disappointed. What’s the point of putting myself through that if I know what the outcome is? I know you don’t want me for me and we both know my anger issues will get in the way and-” She abruptly stopped when Dean grabbed her hand that was covering her eyes.

“For the goddamn millionth time, I wasn’t trying to turn you into her. I just want you to- wait. Did you just say, no, ADMIT that you actually cared for me?” He said slightly taken aback.

“I believe I said that a little bit back too. I said it when we had our little blowout.”

“But you actually are saying it… like…on your own without me bugging you about it.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

There was a long silence between them and then Dean smiled.

“So does this mean that we can drop the crap… and just admit everything? You know… It’d be easier.”

“Like I said… I don’t want to go through that. I don’t want to… and you know? I’m not setting myself up for that. I do care for you… but I don’t think right now we have any room for caring about people other than friends. It’d get in the way and distract us. We’d be thinking about each other too much and not enough about the matter at hand.”

“Do you honestly believe that or do you think that we can help each other out?”
“I think that for right now, we should leave it at what it is.”