Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Pond

I woke up the next morning and seen that Brynn had already brought me my breakfast. It was still hot, so I knew it had only been a few minutes since she brought it. I ate and then took a quick bath. Afterwards I put on my brown riding pants, my white long-sleeved shirt that was a little too big, my socks, and my brown leather boots. I brushed my hair out and put it into a high ponytail. After I decided I was ready I left my room to go out to the stables. One of the goblins that worked in the stables asked, "Would you like me to prepare Chessie for you, miss?"

"That would be nice," I replied with a smile.

While the goblin did his job Jareth walked up and ordered him to prepare his horse as well, "You don't mind if I ride with you, do you?" he asked, turning to me.

"Not at all." The goblin led Chessie to me and I climbed into the saddle. I waited for Jareth before I took off.

Jareth chased after me. When he had caught up to me he asked, "Are we racing?"

"Why not?"

He chuckled, "To the pond then?"

"You're on!" I snapped the reins and Chessie started running even faster. Jareth's horse was fast as well, and he stayed very close to me. The two horses ran through the forest to the pond, and then Jareth took a different path, "Cheater!" I called out to him.

When Chessie and I got to the pond Jareth was already there, "I believe I win."

"Because you cheated."

"I didn't cheat. There was no rule stating I couldn't take a different route than you."

I rolled my eyes and swung my leg over so that I could get down. Jareth was standing in front of me in seconds. He put his hands on my waist and lifted me from the saddle before placing my feet on the ground. "Thank you."

He let go of me and I walked over to the little pond. I sat down on a large gray rock and looked into the clear water. "You've gotten very good at riding," he said.

I smiled, "I'm a fast learner."

He didn't say anything so I turned my head, looking back at him. He was smiling.

"Why are you smiling?"

He shook his head slightly, "I was just thinking."

I turned on the rock so I could face him directly, "About?"

He sighed, "About how lonely I would be if you hadn't of stayed here."

I smiled. I never knew that me being here meant so much to him. "Jareth?"

"Yes, Abigail?"

"Why did you kiss me at the masquerade ball?"