Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Love

The words echoed in my head. I knew eventually Abigail would ask me that, and for some reason, I hadn't come up with an answer to give her yet. I supposed the truth would be the best answer. "Well, I'm waiting," she said, becoming impatient.

I sighed and walked over to her, "Because...well, because I'm in love with you."

She was speechless as my words sank in. "Jareth, I...I don't know what to say."

"Say that you love me too."

"I...I-I don't know. I just...I've never loved anyone before, and I don't know what love feels like."

I took a deep breath as I thought about what she just said. "It's fine. We have forever for you to fall in love with me."

"Forever is a really long time."

I shook my head, "Oh Abigail, it's not long at all."

She stood up and stretched her legs. "I think I'm ready to go back to the castle now."

I sighed, "As you wish." We mounted our horses and rode in silence back to the stables. As we walked up to the castle I asked, "Will you be joining me for dinner tonight?"

She shook her head, "No...I'm rather tired."

I didn't argue with her. I had a feeling that she was lying, but I didn't want to push her. We walked inside and parted ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I returned to my room and turned the water on in the bathroom to take a very long, hot, bubble bath. I needed to think about what Jareth had said. I undressed and stepped into the tub. Did I love Jareth? Could I love Jareth? There were so many thoughts running through my head, that I couldn't really think straight. I wanted to love him, but I wasn't sure how. I took a deep breath. I had to clear my head. I would think about everything tomorrow after I woke up.

Once the water started to turn cold I pulled the plug out to drain the water and got dressed for bed. I brushed my hair and walked into my bedroom the same time as Brynn, who was bringing me something to eat. "Thank you," I told her.

"It's no problem," she smiled.

I returned the smile.

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?" I asked, even though I had a feeling that I knew what she was talking about.

"Did Jareth really tell you he loves you?"

"Yes."

"Did you say it back?"

I shook my head.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't know if I love him."

"Does he make you feel special?"

I nodded.

"Do you enjoy spending time with him?"

I nodded again.

She asked me more questions, and when she was finished with her interrogation she said, "You love him. You should tell him."

"Brynn, I don't know....I've never-"

"No! I don't want to hear your excuses. I know you love each other. It was obvious last night, and it was obvious at the ball. You need to tell him how you feel about him before it's too late."

I sighed but didn't argue. I didn't know if it was love, but maybe Brynn was right. Regardless of whether I loved Jareth or not, I probably should tell him how I know I feel.