Manhattan

Monday Night, Game Night

“Come on Kody. Hold my hand; we can’t cross the street if you don’t hold it.” My voice strained against every muscle in my throat, desperately trying to find some sort of bass or authority to coat my words but my voice had given out on me while I slept the night before away. Kody gave me a questioning look, wondering how serious I was about him holding my hand. I shifted Lola to my other hip and set my free hand on my now free hip and gave him a ‘wanna try me buddy’ look. Kody tightened his eyes before he fixed the hold he had on the side of his pants and grabbed my hand with his.

“Thank you,” I told him softly. “Maev, can you please grab Zoe’s hand?” I asked Maeva who gave me an excited nod before she got a hold on her younger sisters’ hand. I counted to three before I shuffled the kids across the street to the Consol Energy Center.

I had been working for Pascal for a good month now and the kids and I have sorta fell into a routine. It was nice and dependable and it got things done. Pascal hadn’t disappeared again, keeping true to his word.

Pascal and I ran the house like a well-oiled machine and we got along perfectly. I hadn’t seen Sidney all but those days when he would drop the gifts off to kids on game days. I wasn’t mature enough to face him yet, so, once I made sure it was him who had rang the doorbell I would call Maeva over to open it for me before scurrying off to find something to do for the time being.

But, tonight was breaking us out of our little routine. It was a chilly Monday night and Pascal had invited the five of us to a Pittsburgh Penguins home game. I was quite surprised when he thrusted the tickets and the locker room passes into my hand. I had asked him if he was sure with the kids staying up late and probably bouncing off the walls of the Consol Energy Center. But, he just laughed at me, telling me that Consol was like a second home to the kids and there would be enough hands to help me out.

So here we were, all swaddled up in Pascal Dupuis jerseys and our heavy winter coats with boots. I had even wrapped scarves around all of their necks, also adding in matching hats. I didn’t want any of my kids to become sick because if one had it then all of them would have it.

“Kody? Buddy, why do you keep grabbing your pants like that? Do you have to go potty?” I asked him as we finally entered the crowded and busy Consol. Kody mumbled something up to me but I was put into protective mode and stopped the kids in their tracks once I saw the busy flow of people.

“Okay, everyone grab onto me.” I shouted to them over the noise of the crowds. Automatically I felt three tiny hands grab a fist full of my clothing before I felt their tiny fist get a good grip on me. I nodded my head to them before I tried to remember what Pascal told me. I had to find the help desk, ask for someone named Robert and then show him my tickets.

“Huh?’ I questioned slightly distracted as I felt Kody tug on my jacket. I heard him mumble up to me once more but I had let out a shout of victory once I spotted the help desk and drowned out Kody’s reply. We soon made our way to the front of the short line.

“Hi, I’m looking for a Mr. Robert Green?” I questioned. The man in front of me smiled a bright smile, pointing to his name tag. His eyes, lined with soft wrinkles soon landed on Lola who was bundled up to the fullest and he let his smile triple.

“You must be Manhattan?” He guessed.

“How’d you know? Did the four kids give it away? Or is it the Dupuis jersey’s with ‘Daddy’ written on the back of them?” I joked as I pushed my wavy hair out of my face. I hadn't had time to straighten it at all today, so I just threw it up into a high ponytail and deemed myself ready. Robert laughed before he leaned over with a map in his hands. He pointed and showed me where to go from the desk and even mapped out my way to the locker room after the game. I thanked him profusely before I shuffled the kids along.

Image


Turn after nauseating turn later, I had deemed myself as completely lost. Maeva began to laugh as I spun around in quick circles, searching for the hallway marked Family Rooms. Lola started to giggled wildly, seeing as she was still against my hip being turned around and around as well. I cursed myself for leaving the double stroller in the back of Sasha’s car as I saw Zoe let out a pouty sigh before she fell on her butt onto the floor, giving me a tired glare.

“I’m sorry baby, I know you’re tired.” I coo’ed to her as I pushed my hair out of my face once again. I tried to calculate every single one of my turns in my head, trying to think where I might have ended up. I took out the map from my back pocket, getting ready to read it when Kody screeched.

“Manhattan! I have to potty right now! Right now!” He told me, his hand still clinging to the side of his pants.

“Alright bud, I will find you a potty soon. And why are you holding your pants like that?” I asked him as I got down to his level. Kody gave me a funny look before he let go of his pants. I watched in horror as Kody’s pants fell to the ground to leave him in all of his butt naked glory.

“Kody Dupuis! Mr. where are your underpants and belt!?” I questioned him as Zoe and Maeva giggled at their half naked brother. I turned to Lola who gave me a wide eyed look of shock. She was probably rattled by all of the sudden commotion. I would've laughed at her expression if I wasn't giving her the same look back.

“Potty, Manhattan! Now!” He demanded.

“Oh baby! Okay, just hold your horses for like two seconds.” I told him. I didn't know what to do. I had never come across a situation like this in my life. I reached around Kody’s back to grab his pants and pulled them up over his little butt. I then bunched up the pants around the waist and gently lifted the boy into the air, turning him sideways. Hopefully this will help him hold his pee, I pray to sweet baby Jesus that it does.

“Maeva, do you have any idea where we are? Or where a bathroom is?” I questioned her. She shook her head no.

“I know how to get to Mr. Mario’s sweet though.” She told me. I had no idea who that was but he was about to get a shit load of kids and problems. I shook my head at her as she helped get Zoe of off the ground before she walked up ahead of me. I straightened Kody out and placed him on my other hip before I followed behind Maeva and Zoe, who decided she wanted to crawl the length of the floor.

“Lola, sweet child of Jesus, what are you doing to my hair?” I asked her. She giggled in reply before she got a hold of my hair tie and yanked as hard as she could. I let out a loud yelp before she yanked again and snapped the tie. I tried to keep calm as a wall of thick, wild curls fell onto Kody, Lola and I.

“Manhatt-ahhh.” Was how Kody finished the sentence. I stopped in the middle of the hallway and stared in shock as I watched Kody get completely comfortable on my hip before he peed straight through his pants and right onto my jersey.

“That’s nice….that’s so nice of you honey.” I mumbled as I continued to walk. I had never been peed on before and quite frankly I wasn't enjoying the experience at all.

“Come on Manhattan, it’s right here.” Maeva hollered as she popped her head around the corner.

“Oh I’m coming sweetheart.” I told her with a sarcastic laugh. I didn't want to move anymore. I could just feel the pee trickling down the length of my shirt and I would shriek and shiver every time I moved.

“You just go ahead and knock for me, okay?” I told her as I stood still in the hallway. Lola was going to town as she tangled her tiny hands in my hair, twisting and turning and probably making boy scout knots the size of a golf ball. Kody just gave me a calm and serine look as he rested against me.

“Are you good now buddy?” I asked him. It didn't hurt to ask now that the deed was done.

“I’m hungry now.”

“She’s right around the corner. Kody peed on her.” I heard Maeva say with a shy giggle.

“He what?” A feminine voice asked in shock. Soon a woman with soft blonde curls and even softer brown eyes came around the corner. I looked up at her between strands of my hair and I’m pretty sure I looked pitiful as she gave me a concerned look.

“Oh honey.”

Image


“Thank you so much.” I told Natalie Lemieux as she lead me back to the suite where her and her husband Mario sat during all of the Penguins home games. She had taken the kids from me and left them with her husband before she ushered me to the nearest bathroom to help me clean up. I had folded up my soiled jeans and jersey and traded them for black leggings that Natalie had in her purse and a damn Crosby jersey that hung to the middle of my thighs.

“It’s no problem; you had quite a handful there, eh?” She teased with a bright smile. I let the sleeves of the jersey engulf my hands before I pressed my covered hands to my mouth and shook my head yes.

“Can I be honest with you?” I asked her timidly. She turned to me and gave me a soft smile before giving me a nod, giving me the comfort I needed to continue.

“I honestly have no idea what I am doing. I took this job because a close friend recommended it for me. I need to pay my bills for school. I had no idea that I would be taking care of a red wagon full of kids who need so much more than naps and bottles.” I said with a deep breath. I shoved a piece of lose hair that came from my newly replaced hair tie and put it behind my ear.

“The fact that you even recognized and voiced that they needed just more than a bottle and nap tells me that you’ll be just fine. Most nannies send the kids to bed with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and pat on the back. You’re just fine. I was like you. Mario and I had planned to have one girl and one boy. I looked up at the end of 1997 and I had four young kids.” She explained with a shake of her head, gently laughing.

“Were you scared?” I asked her, looking up from underneath my eye lashes.

“I have no idea how my kids turned out like they did. Of course I was scared. I only had two hands, and god only knows how I got through it when Mario’s seasons would start and he was gone every other week.” She told me.

“He played hockey too?” I asked with a tilt of my head.

“Oh honey, don’t say that around here. You’ll get cursed at in every language known to man-kind. Now in Philly, you can say something like that and they’ll be over the moon.” She told me while laughing. I was so confused at this point. She grabbed me by both of my shoulders before squeezing me softly.

“I have so much to fill you in on.” I couldn't help but smile; somewhat knowing that Natalie had just taken me underneath her wing. That fact was very comforting.

Image


“And now that they've won they gain two points and add to their win streak and Sidney as well extends his point streak.” Natalie filled me in with details the entire game. Now we watched as the fans began to fill out satisfied with the 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils. I shook my head at her but watched as Mario let Lola stand up in front of him on the desk and play with his mouth as she poked and prodded while she giggled.

Kody sat next to Mario, spinning in his chair, happy with a new pair of sweats pants. Maeva sat on the couch with a sleeping Zoe as the men who were previously in room began to shake Mario’s hand and file out. I watched this interaction in silence before I glanced down at my watch and jumped out of my seat.

“I’m sorry Natalie and Mario, thanks for having the kids and I for the game but I promised Pascal that I’d meet in him the locker room five minutes ago.” I told him in a rushed tone as I grabbed Lola’s baby bag. I saw Mario and Natalie stand before I reached Zoe on the couch and carefully pick up her sleeping frame and place her on my hip and shoulder. I turned back find the pair packing up their own gear.

“Here, we’ll walk you down there and hopefully your boss won’t give you too much trouble once he sees us walk in.” Mario said with a charming smile. I nodded my head not being able to ignore the sophisticated older man.

It didn't even take us ten minutes to get to the locker room, seeing as Mario knew his way around and knew where the elevator was. We had barely gotten to the locker room door when I glanced over to find Lola sound asleep against Mario’s broad chest. I reached out for her but both Natalie and Mario smacked my hand away.

“Hope you guys are dressed, pretty ladies coming through.” Mario hollered before pushing the door open. I followed hesitantly behind the pair who seemed to work the room easily. Throwing smiles and waving hands in every other direction. I tried to avoid eye contact when I started to search for Pascal. I zoned in on him and made my way to him quickly and quietly before anyone could say something.

“Hey Jen, how were they?” He questioned me as he straightened his tie. He was pretty much dressed as he stood up to grabbed his wallet and watch behind him. He reached out brush some of Zoe’s light brown locks out of her face. He then turned back to through his suit jacket over his thick shoulders.

“Good, they were pretty much into the game, so worries for me.” I told him quietly.

“Woah, what happened to your voice?” He asked me with a laugh as he reached out for Lola. I handed her over and straightened out my coat and jersey.

“Sasha and I had our monthly game night.” I told him with a hint of red flushing my cheeks.

“Jeez, that intense?” He chuckled.

“You have no idea. I like to win, everything.” I told him with a soft chuckle of my own.

“You sound like Sid over there.” I didn't dare turn around because I could now feel Sidney’s eyes boring into my back at the sound of his name.

“What happened to the jersey I gave you?” Pascal questioned out of the blue as she reached out with his free hand to tug at the fabric of the Crosby jersey. I blushed as I tried to come up with words, but I just stumbled all over myself.

“Kody went potty on Manhattan Papa!” Maeva gushed with a loud giggle. The locker room grew quite as my face went beat red. I pushed my hands in front of my face as the room burst into laughter. I felt someone ruffle my hair as I let out a long groan.

“That’s a classic one.” Pascal laughed.

“Hey next time don’t let the kid get dressed on his own? He was holding his pants the hold time, I asked him why and then he dropped him, turns out he was stark naked and running around without a belt and underwear on.” I tried to shout back at Pascal who just shrugged my words off and continued to laugh at me.

“We're going out for a bite to eat. Do you want to come?” Pascal asked after his laughter died down.

“Sure, maybe the car ride there and back to the house will help the kids fall asleep faster.” I told him and he shook his head. We soon backed everything up, a few guys and their families agreeing to come with us.

“Hey Duper, I’m coming to.” Sidney called out behind us. Pascal stopped to give him directions but I just continued to walk with the kids, pretending I hadn't heard him voice that. Shit.

Image


“How’d I get stuck at the kids table?” I shout to Pascal who sat at the table behind mine. He just laughed before he ruffled my hair.

“Because you and Sid the kid over there are the youngest and plus we didn't have any room.” He told me before turning around.

“Would you like a coloring book to miss?” The waiter questioned me. I narrowed my eyes up at him.

“Who put you up to asking that question? Was it Matt Cooke?” The waiter just pretended to zip his lips before he turned away while laughing. I had been at the restaurant long enough to know who would initiate what. I turned around and shook my fist at Matt Cooke and his wife who simply raised the beer and wine with a laugh.

“Calm down, it’s just a joke.” Sidney muttered under his breath. I choose to ignore his comment because I choose to ignore him completely. I just turned away from him and watched in boredom as Kody erratically colored all over his picture with three crayons in his hand.

“Buddy, there are lines you know?” I asked him teasingly.

“He’s a kid, let him color all over the page.” Sidney piped him.

“’ Wasn't asking you.” I told him childishly with a roll of my eyes.

“I know you weren't.” He retorted.

“Hey. Play tic tac toe. I want to see who wins.” Maeve said suddenly. She placed a black sheet of paper with pre-made squares in front of Sidney and I before handing us a each a color. That Maeva, she could sniff out trouble like a blood hound could sniff out a dead body.

Sidney’s dead body…

“I’m X.” Sidney called out loud quickly.

“If you’re X then I get to go first.” And before he could react I drew an X in the middle box. I didn't dare look up at Sidney as I watched his thick fingers draw an O in the circle on top of mine. We went back and forth in a quick pace like that for another few seconds before we came out in a draw. I drew a big X over the entire chart and placed the crayon down.

“I win.” I said more to Maeva than anyone else and she giggled at my antics. I heard Sidney let out a grumble before I say him draw a big O over my X. I gave him a shocked look before I picked up my crayon and drew another X.

X, then an O. XOXOXOXOXO. X.

“Look Zoe, XOXOXO. Hugs and Kisses.” Maeva said excitedly as Sidney and I glared at each other.

“Papa, Sidney and Manhattan wrote hugs and kisses to each other.” Maeve practically shouted as the ‘adult’ table turned around the read the paper that Maeve now had in her hand. Soon they looked from the paper to us.

“I swear…it started as a tic tac toe game.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, hey, wow? Do I know you guys? I haven't been on in forever! Pardon me? Forgive me? And I know. I've been gone fore like forever and a day and I come back with this crappy ass chapter. I promise the next one I right (which will be coming sooner than this one, lol) while be longer and better and filled with Max Talbot action. Yes? Aslo, i've got a Benny Lovejoy story in the works. It's a thiller:) Rian