Manhattan

Here Comes The Sun

Dinner was simple and sweet. The kids continued to color on while Sidney and I shared tight lipped, prolonged glances. When we’d catch each other’s eye we would hold that eye contact, daring the other to break away. It was a childish game but it grew to something much, much hotter because soon my neck was sweating, my insides where swimming and I swear Maeva could hear my heart pounding against the bones of my ribcage as she glanced in-between us every once in a while.

I found myself playing with my food all night with nimble fingers. I couldn’t quite get a grip on the situation that was unfolding in front of me. This dark haired, thick lipped, broad shouldered smug bastard that set across from me was getting my blood flowing like the Mississippi at the beginning of spring time. But I forced those thoughts to the back of my mind and childishly decided that I hated him even more than before because he was making me all hot and bothered by smothering me with his hazel eyes.

After much argument on my part, Pascal managed to pay for my meal at dinner. My bottom lip feel into a simple pout as I packed up the children and I couldn’t help but let a shiver skim up my back as I heard him chuckle softly from a mere distance away. Soon I felt his hot body heat gliding by me, the flaps of his open suit jacket brushing against my back, making me stand up straight as I fumbled around with the straps on Lola’s jacket.

“Jen, you okay over there?” Pascal asked me, his eyebrows knitted together in concern. I soon realized that I was fumbling mess as I blinked hard twice and looked up at him in a daze.

“Woah, yeah. Just a little tired but I’m fine now. Back to reality I go.” I said softly as I quickly looped up Lola’s jacket. She was cranky and quite fussy and pushed and shoved at my chest until I finally brought her in snuggly and rocked her back and forth a few times. I hummed softly in her ear as I stroked the back of her head, her soft brown hair intertwined in the nape of my hand. She soon began to coo softly and finally gave in to the sleep that raked over her body. I felt her let out a final sigh when I looked up to a glowing Pascal.

“You’re going to be a great mother one day.” He whispered to me. His eyes shown so bright with admiration until Kody tugged on his sleeve, grabbing at the air above him, signaling that he wanted to be picked up. Pascal laughed and shook his head as he picked up his only boy and turned around to walk out of the restaurant with his other teammates.

I stood stock still with Lola in my arms.

A mother?

Me?

I had dreaded the thought of kids. I dreaded and had nightmares about giving life to a living breathing thing of my own. I had written off children and marriage in my book. I had deemed myself too emotionally fucked up in that department of my life. I couldn’t and wouldn’t allow a man to walk into my life only to come away just as fucked up as I am. I am a caution zone with flags and flashing lights. I don’t need to bring another person in this world because if I did, I don’t think I could physically or mentally handle it.

Image

“What ya thinking about over there kid? You’re mind is racing, I can tell.” Pascal finally broke the silence in the car. I let my bottom lip slip from in-between my teeth as I sucked in a deep breath of air. Ruffling my dark curls I rolled my eyes to the profile of Pascal.

“Just tired. Trying to convince myself that I can make it to the bus stop and home to messy bed before I pass out.” I backed up my somewhat truthful words with a warm smile. Sleep hung around in my head like a grey cloud and every once in a while I could feel my eyes lull a bit in the back of my skull until I un-crossed them and shook my head lightly.

“You know you can always crash in my somewhat clean guest room.” Pascal suggested with a tired smile of his own. My heart thudded twice in my chest. He was so sweet.

“I’d sound like such a free-loader if I take you up on that offer. Plus, I need to wake up a study for my up and coming test. My books are back at my place still.” I rattled off. School was always my top priority.

“Then you’ll sleep here tonight and I’ll take you to your place on my way to the CEC.” Pascal mussed with a final nod of his head.

“Early practice?” I questioned as I let my shoulders ease. Now that I didn’t have to fight sleep much longer in order to get home, I could feel my body being to shut down slightly.

“Nah, practice later on in the day. The team has a meeting with out PR Team and HBO.” He turned on to his street and light flurries of snow could be seen falling down from the dark night sky.

“Woah, what? HBO?” This jolted my mind awake.

“Yes, they’ll be documenting us for the next couple of weeks for the Winter Classic. I hope you don’t mind because I agreed to let them peep into the crazy Dupuis house for a few minutes.” Pascal looked out of the corner of his eye as he said this, probably trying to gauge my reaction.

“Well, that’s …interesting.” I breathed out as I ran my hand over my hair. I mean what more could I say? He was the boss and really they weren’t coming to see me so I could easily blend into the background. I was the babysitter, how interesting could that be?

“Yeah, it’ll only be for maybe a day or two. Quick and easy. I’m a hockey player with four kids and apparently a hot 9 out of 10 babysitter.” He said it with such ease that I barely caught it but when I did I choked on my own spit and began to cough like a mad woman. I tucked my mouth in the crock of my sleeve covered elbow as Pascal parked the car in the drive way and began to patted me on the back.

“Do I even want to know where that came from?” I croaked as my vocal cords strained against the new burst of air I took in.

“Locker room talk. You never want to know about that.” Pascal mussed with a laugh. All I could do was shake my head at the thought and cough softly. I gathered Lola’s baby bag and Kody’s soiled clothes that Natalie had wrapped up for me and climbed out of the car. I carefully climbed up the slick sidewalk and dropped the bags off by the front door and turned back for the four sleeping children in the car.

Soon Pascal and I had slightly cleaned up the kids with me vowing to give them a good cleaning tomorrow and tucked them into bed. Pascal and I then bid each other a goodnight and walked in the opposite direction.

My mind soon began to shut down as I tucked myself deep into the hundred thread count sheets that swallowed my body in warmth. Sleep over took me soon after that.

Image

I shot forward with a loud screech as a heavy object fell from the sky and landed on my chest with no mercy. I was so sleep deprived and delusional that I had no idea where I was or who I was a quick second. With hand over my heart and a look of despair drawn on my face I made eye contact with a smiling Sidney Crosby.

If Kody wasn’t sitting here, giggling on my chest with a wide smile I would’ve cussed him out in a hot second but all I could do was wipe the surprised tears that rolled down my face.

“Are you crying?!” Sidney bellowed with a laugh. I opened and closed my mouth like goldfish at feeding time. Damn him, damn him to hell. I couldn’t find the right words as I wiped the hot tears down my face with the back of my hand.

“You scared me half to death! Oh god!” I hollered. But just as soon as I started to cry I began to laugh as Kody giggled along with me. I grabbed him by his sides and began to tickle him everywhere. His arms and leggings flying everywhere and pleaded for his life. I had barely remembered Sidney was there until he cleared his throat.

I looked up at him and air immediately ceased to my lungs. A tight grey shirt was stretched across his board shoulders a chest. His dark hair was in desperate need for a hair cut curled by his forehead and the tips of his ears. His jeans stressed across his large, Greek god like thighs. I barely realized he was talking until he snapped his fingers twice.

“You do know that there is innocent pair eyes in front of us?” He stated with a smirk.

I raised an eyebrow at him as I simply glared back. I didn’t dare to acknowledge that comment with a smartass retort. I must not, I preached to myself as I bit my tongue.

“You got a little drool right there. I can get it for you if you-“

“Shut it. Just hush it right now. It’s too early for your ego and smartalic comments. You do know this right?” I groaned as I rubbed my forehead.

“Morning, sunshine? It’s 12 o’clock in the afternoon. Some baby sitting skills you got there Jen-Jen.” He said with a girly snort.

“Oh god, you did not just call me Jen-Jen!? Get out, I’ve had enough of you this morning. Out!” I screeched like a mad women. Kody giggled wilding again as he hoped off of the bed and bounded out of the room. Yet, Sidney hadn’t caught onto the smart young lad’s actions and stood at the door giggling his rather large ass off.

I growled as I hoped up and began to throw the heavy duvet pillows behind me. Of course being the un-athletic girl that I am, I missed on every single try and simply went straight in for the kill and pushed my small palms on his tight, muscular chest, shoving him at him unsuccessfully.

“Out, out you go. Get you!” I hollered at him like I was herding cattle. It felt like it, with his strong body fight against me. It seemed like all he had to was flick his wrist and within a blink of an eye he had my back pinned to the wall.

He hovered over me with a light smirk.

“Oh, you’re just enjoying this aren’t you?” I seethed through gritted teeth.

“I am. Is yellow your favorite color sunshine?” He asked breezily.

“No. Why?” I mumbled as he drew in closer.

“Because sure is mine.” He breathed and I jumped as his index finger came in contact with my hip and snapped my boy shorts lightly.

“You pig!” I roared as I shoved him back.

“You let me hop out of the bed with no pants on!? Pervert! Get out!” I shoved him harder and harder as he laughed like a hyena. My face burned with embarrassment as I tugged on the hem of my shirt, my long legs intertwining and tripped me slightly as I watched him back out of the door with his hands raised.

“Good morning to you too sunshine! Good morning to you too!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back. It's late. I'll proof read later. Don't report me. I promise to fix the mistakes. Lol. Epp, this chapter was just a filler to get thing flowing again. I also have a new story in the works. Look for that next!
Rian