Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Riley's POV - Chapter 14

“Bye,” I heard Matt mutter weakly as we stepped out of the car.

To say that that wasn't one of the most awkward car journeys I’ve ever been in would be a massive lie. It was horrible to be honest with you. Caitlin kept asking me question after question, sometimes repeating ones she’d already asked as well. I mean, it was cute in a way, you’ll know what I mean if you’ve ever had someone ask you questions like the ones she was asking me, but I wasn't really in the mood for it then, and I'm certainly not ready for this stupid party.

Why did I say I’d come too?

When the car finally drove off Matt let out a deep breath.

“Really, really sorry about that,” he said sincerely. “I would’ve told her to shut up but mum and dad hate it when I speak to her like that, you know?”

I nodded at him, understanding why he didn't intervene. I'm not really annoyed about it anyway; she can ask me stuff if she wants; I'm not going to stop her.

“I think she likes you,” he laughed a little. “That’s probably the most I’ve ever heard her talk.”

“I thought you said she’s always nagging you,” I challenged him. “And she doesn’t like me idiot.”

“I over exaggerate her annoyingness sometimes,” he admitted. “And as if you’d know if someone liked you or not.”

“What’s that meant to mean?”I asked as we walked down the road which I'm assuming leads to Nate’s house. Wouldn't it have made more sense if they dropped us off outside his house instead of down here?

Strange.

“Just....When people like you, you never pick up on it,” he said, shrugging it off like it was nothing. “For example that Jade girl we used to hang round with,” he started; I nodded my head at him. She liked me? This is all news to me. “She told me she was crushing on you,” he said with a big smile on his face.

Okay, if he’s not being a bit lying idiot (well a liar, he’s always big and stupid) then he proved his point. I don’t notice stuff like that, but she was one of my best mates, how was I meant to expect that?

Wow, wait. Jade liked me?

Oh well. She’ll be well over it by now. I haven’t seen her in years.

“Maybe you’re right,” I whispered.

“I'm always right,” he teased as he nudged me towards one of the long winding driveways.

My eyes widened at what was in front of me. All the houses around here look big and posh, but for some reason I didn't expect Nate to live in one of them.

His house looks like the largest on this whole street!

Great. He’s a freaking millionaire! God I hate him so much. And no, I’m not jealous. I don’t care about the massive house in front of me, or the abnormally long drive. I don’t care about that. I'm guessing it does explain why he just does whatever the hell he wants though. I mean, how is being stuck in a house like that a punishment if you get grounded? It just isn't.

Spoiled brat!

“You look real good by the way,” Matt smiled at me, making me blush ever so slightly as he knocked on the front door.

The door was opened almost instantly after Matt knocked. I actually jumped a little because I really wasn't expecting them to answer so soon.

“Oh hello Matt,” the woman, who I'm guessing is Nate’s mum greeted. “And this must be...?”

“Riley,” Matt answered for me.

I smiled and held my hand out to shake hers, but she shook her head at me.

“We don’t need to be formal here,” she laughed it off, making me feel like a right idiot. I'm not used to this stuff and now I'm as embarrassed as hell. “Come in, make yourselves at home,” she smiled. “Nate and the others are by the pool. Don’t worry,” she whispered, “I won’t cramp your style, Mark and I will stay in the other part of the house.”

Matt let out a small laugh and nodded at her before saying thanks for having everyone over and everything.

“Just promise me one thing boys,” she said without sounding too serious. “No skinny dipping this time,” she whispered before letting us inside and heading off in the opposite direction to us. I just followed Matt through the house.

“How’d she know about the skinny dipping?” he mumbled to himself.

When I looked over at him his cheeks seemed a little red. I laughed at him. of course.

I followed Matt outside of the mansion and out to the immense garden awaiting us outside. Even though it’s the first time I've been here, it I just followed the noise I'm sure I would’ve managed to find the rest of them pretty easily. You’d think in a place like this the neighbors would be uptight and complain about even the slightest noise; I'm guessing I'm wrong about that, unless they just don’t care what anyone else thinks or if they’re bothering people who aren’t themselves.

“Matt!” Nate shouted over from the side of his pool which was in the corner of his garden.

There was one girl in the pool, I think her names Jacey, and everyone else was either just dipping their feet in or hanging around near by it. It’s kind of stupid to do that at this time of year though, I mean, it’s winter for God’s sake. Some people can be plain old stupid sometimes.

Matt smiled at the sight in front of him and rushed over to Nate. I hung back for a bit though; I didn't want to look like I was just tagging along after Matt too much. I am my own person after all.

“See you brought Riley with you,” he observed in a surprisingly friendly voice. This guy has pinned me up against a wall and threatened me. Now he’s being nice?! What? “Want a drink mate?” he asked me. Now I'm his mate?

“Sure,” I smiled unsurely. Right now I don’t trust him, but if he thinks I do maybe I could have a bit of fun tonight too.

He went over to the cooler they had and pulled me out a cold can of beer. I assumed this would be a party with booze, but I'm not stupid and I know what he’s up to. He wants me drunk. It’s not late yet and he’s already trying to get me drinking.

I'm not going to let him know that I'm onto him though. I can play along as much as anyone.

“Cheers,” I smiled as I took it from him and opened the cap at the top.

“Not getting me one?” Matt asked with a slight pout on his face.

“You know where the cooler is,” Nate shrugged before going back over to some other guys and sitting by them at pool side.

They turned and started watching Matt and I whilst whispering to each other. Well, this isn't uncomfortable at all.

“Looks like I'm getting my own drink then.”

When Matt walked over to the cooler I started thinking. Why would he get me and drink and not Matt? He’s done something to it, hasn’t he? Oh God I'm paranoid now! Was it meant to like blow up when I opened it or something?

Great. I'm going to be on edge all night aren’t I? Just like I thought I’d be.

“Alright Ry?” Matt asked me when he came back with his drink in hand.

“Fine,” I muttered.

I hate those guys. Even if they actually haven’t done anything yet, they will do, I can just tell. They’re planning something.

“Wanna go by the pool?” he asked me, probably not liking the fact that all his friends are just over there and he’s staying back here with me.

“Whatever,” I sighed, taking a sip of my beer.

The guys started sniggering but I actually don’t know why; it tasted like it was meant to taste.

“Are you coming then?” Matt asked after taking a few steps and realizing I wasn't going to follow.

I unsurely nodded my head at him, and tagged along once more. No wonder these guys get such a laugh from me, I basically just follow Matt everywhere. I don’t want to, but there’s no one else here I can spend time with, is there?

“Hey Riley, come sit with me,” one of the girls called me over from the opposite side of the pool.

That wasn't something I wanted to do at all. I need to try though...Maybe.

I went over to the other side and sat beside her.

“I’m Torrie,” she grinned at me, holding her hand out loosely.

I knew who she was. There aren’t a lot of people in the school who don’t, plus she’s Ashley’s sister.

“Riley,” I smiled awkwardly and shook her hand.

Weird.

“You get on my bus right?” she asked. I nodded my head at her. “And you’re close with my sister?”

“Yeah, we’re friends,” I smiled.

She nodded her head at me and stared into my eyes.

“Cool,” she whispered in a strangely seductive kind of way.

I looked over to the other side of the pool and saw Matt watching me, as soon as he realized I’d seen him he turned away again though. It was kind of weird. He looked angry?

“I think we could get on pretty well you know,” she whispered to me, putting my hand into hers.

This time when I looked over it was Nate glaring at me. A glare from him is really intimidating.

“Erm, so is Ashley here?” I asked her, pulling my hand from hers and using it to support my weight because of the way I was sitting.

“Somewhere,” she smiled. “Why do you care?”

“She’s my friend,” I said awkwardly, staring into the pool.

“Wouldn't you rather spend time with me though?” she asked me, tracing her fingers up the sleeves of my jumper.

“I...er-”

“Riley!” I heard someone shout me, sounding mad. It was Matt.

The sound of his voice caught us both off guard and we both jumped away from each other
when we heard him.

“Y-yeah?” I shouted across the pool to him.

He gestured for me to go over there; from how frantic he looked I guessed he meant now.

I went to stand up but Torrie grabbed hold of my arm.

“Do you always do what he tells you to?”

I froze when she asked me that. In general, she’s right. There’ve been a lot of times where I just listen to Matt and do what he wants without even thinking about it. I don’t even know why I do it. Maybe I just trust him enough to know he’s right about whatever he’s trying to get me to do.

“Not always,” I whispered before standing up.

“Come on,” Matt huffed when I got over to him, putting his arm around my shoulder and dragging me back inside the house. “What the hell was that?” he shouted at me.

I just looked at him. What’s he on about?

“You and Torrie? She isn't some slut so I know it wasn't all her back there; don’t try spitting me that bull!”

I still didn't say anything, I just looked at him. That was nothing. She was just doing a bit of harmless flirting. I didn't care, so why does he?

“Well Riley? What were you thinking?” he shouted, holding onto my arm tightly. If I said it didn't hurt I’d be lying.

“You told me I could get to know everyone tonight; that’s what I'm doing,” I muttered. “And Torrie didn't mean anything by any of that. I didn't do anything either,” I huffed, annoyed by him jumping to conclusions. I'm not trying to get with her. She’s not trying to get with me. Simple.

“Why was he touching your arm then?” he asked, sounding frustrated.

“Harmless flirting?” I said with raised eyebrows. I looked down to my arm for a few seconds. “What about you then?” I asked. He looked at me like I was crazy. “Why’ve you got a death grip on my arm?”

“S-sorry,” he stuttered, letting go off me. for a few seconds we were just staring at each other. “Look, just watch your back with Torrie,” he whispered. “Nate likes her and he’ll beat your ass so bad if he ever thought something was going on.”

I nodded at him.

“She’s off limits,” I smiled. “I get it.”

“Good,” Matt whispered with a slight frown on his face.

“Good,” I repeated, popping the d.

He smiled a little bit then.

“Er, so you want to go back out there?”

I shrugged my shoulders at him.

“I was going to go find Ashley,” I said casually, not wanting to make it sound like I was blowing him off or anything (pardon the term). “Any idea where she’d be?”

“Yeah,” he smiled. “She usually hangs by the swings at the other side of the garden at these parties,” he told me, pointing in that general direction.

When I got outside he called after me.

“Oh, and you can be around Ashley as much as you like,” he smirked, giving me a look as if
to say ‘I know something you don’t know’.

I nodded at him and went off to find the swings. So far, so good.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really like this chapter haahaa
I think i'll have the party thing going on for the next few chapters because i have a load of plans for it
Get ready for drama! I hope lol

And sorry for this taking so long. I took a bit of a break from it accidentally but then it got really hard to get back into it again, you know?> xD

Thanks to
Delusion
Lexaa_Lynn
cameron liddell;
xXCan'tWakeUpXx
rossakamfzb
Blackcat336
For commenting!
I got sooo many then haha
Well proud xD
And loads of new commenter's so thanks so much guys! :)

Oh and i was going to put "make it sound like I was blowing him off" as the chapter title xD But that'd be mean lol