Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Matt's POV - Chapter 3

As I’d expected my dad was acting difficult when I asked him about rugby on Nate’s behalf. He told me that he’d think about it, but that wasn't the straight and simple yes or no that I wanted. I think he was a bit annoyed as well, not because of me asking, but because I barged into his office while he was having a meeting and then decided to ask him anyway. He should’ve been grateful that I didn't ask him what the meeting was about. I could tell it was something that the school didn't want any students hearing.

I suppose I could use that as some kind of blackmail if I ever have to. My dad won’t take me seriously and I most likely won’t go through with the threat but it’s the thought that counts and I'm sure if I ever tried blackmailing my dad that he’d get the message.

When I was out of dad’s office I realized that the bus must’ve been pretty early today. Usually we get here, then a few minutes later the bell goes and we have to head off to form for registration and all that, but I must’ve been at least five minutes with dad and I still have another five until the bell. We’re freakishly early!

I decided to try and find Nate or Brad to tell them the inconclusive news my dad gave me, but then I remembered about Riley. Thinking about him made me feel a bit weird. It stung on the inside, probably because of how worried I am about him at the moment. He seems fine but I know he isn't. Not really anyways.

He’s going to need me to show him around. I’ll do it without him even asking me, but to be able to do that I’d have to find him. The office. A smile spread across my face when I thought about that. He won’t know what he’s doing so the smartest thing to do is to go there.

He’d better know where the office is. It’s pretty hard to miss so he should’ve made it there. It’s right by the front doors to the school so it’s most likely the first place he would’ve gone to.

As soon as I turned the corner to the office I spotted Riley. He wasn't where I hoped he was though. He was standing against the lockers with Chuck from security. Most kids stay away from that guy because, well, he’s creepy. And now he’d holding onto my best friends arm. What the hell is going on?

I rushed over to them, wanting some explanation about this. You don’t go around touching students expecting to get away with it. It’s sick!

“Riley,” I said as soon as I was near them. He turned to look at me and smiled. I love seeing him smile. The look on his face was enough to calm me down a little bit. He was happy to see me and he didn't look like he was uncomfortable with Chuck being there or anything like that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, over protective even. “Everything alright?” I asked him, eying the two of them up and down.

“One of your mates nearly knocked him out,” Chuck hissed at me, making me feel like it was my fault. I could tell he was lying though. None of my friends would mess with Riley...but they wouldn't know he was Riley, would they? Crap.

“Ry are you alright?” I asked, panicking now though. I stepped closer to him and lifted his head up to face me. There was a clear red mark on his skin. How dare any of them touch him! I don’t care if they didn't know; someone will pay for doing this to him.

“I'm fine,” he mumbled, shaking me off him. “It doesn’t matter.”

As he said that he looked away from me so I knew that he was lying. I bet if he could see how obvious he was making this look he’d actually want to hit himself.

“I think you should leave the kid alone Mr. Philips,” Chuck said, raising an eyebrow at me. “You’re making him uncomfortable.”

Saying that earned him a death glare from me. He’s my best friend. There’s no bloody way I'm listening to some dumb security guard who doesn’t know anything about us!

“I think you should butt out,” I said harshly, moving in on Chuck. I wanted to scare him. I needed him to fear me.

“And I think you should respect your elders.”

I laughed weakly at his attempt to be funny. I do respect my elders, but when it comes to suspected freaking pedophiles, things are slightly different. They don’t need anything from me.

“Back off,” I whispered, shoving him away with quite a bit of force. He wasn't a small guy himself but it was more than enough to make him stammer backwards. “We both know it’ll be you who gets hurt if you don’t,” I added. No one really cares about behavior here, unless you’re caught directly by a high up member of staff; you can do whatever the hell you like.

He took my advice and went back over to his post at the door. Idiot. He thinks he knows everything but that’s far from the truth.

As I was dealing with Chuck, my attention on Riley slipped and I didn't even notice him walking away from us. Once I knew he was gone my heart sank. Had I upset him? Maybe he didn't like the way I was treating Chuck. He did deserve it though and if Riley had been at this school a bit longer then he’d know to avoid being anywhere near him.

I looked around the corridor but I couldn’t see him anywhere. All I could see was Chuck with a smug look on his face. I could tell that he noticed Ry leaving. I bet he only stuck around as long as he did for a distraction to stop me noticing him leaving.

I gave up on looking for him. There was no point really. If he was willing to just leave me with Chuck then I doubt he’d want to see me anyways. Knowing that was really hurting me. Riley walked away from me. My best friend. I'm so confused now. He should’ve stayed by me.

When the bell rang I went straight towards my form room for this year, trying to push all thought of Riley out of my head for a while. I need to concentrate and if I have him on my mind I know that I’ll never be able to do that. It’s not that I don’t like thinking about him; it’s just that when I start I can’t stop.

I mentally cursed to myself when I walked into form. Riley was there. It’s like I have to think about him 24/7 and if I don’t something bad is going to happen. I smiled at him but I didn't expect him to do anything back so I just walked on and headed for the seats right at the back.

“Matt,” he called after me as I walked passed him.

It felt good to be called back. It looks like he does care after all. I stopped where I was and turned to face him, trying to keep a straight face because I didn't want to let on how glad I was to have him speaking to me.

“Can I sit with you?” he asked me, looking kind of desperate.

I smiled at him.

“Only if you come over to the back with me,” I laughed as I took hold of his wrist and pretty much dragged him out of his place.

He laughed as well as I pushed him down into a seat before sitting down next to him. What can I say? I can be a bit rough with my friends.
“I need a word with you,” I said quietly.

“Have one then,” he whispered back, trying not to laugh at my sudden serious tone.

“I will,” I sighed.

“Go on.”

“I shall,” I said, smiling at him now because I knew this would be the start of an unbreakable cycle.

“Do it then,” he grinned, his fringe falling over his eyes for a second before he brushed it out of the way.

“I will do it,” I whispered.

“Feel free,” he smirked.

“Feel free to what?” I asked, turning it around on him.

“Feel free to do it.”

“To do what?” I scolded myself for imagining him saying ‘me’ back. I knew that was never going to happen though.

“Have a word with me,” he said, smiling now that he’d brought the conversation back to how it started.

“Gladly,” I smiled, but held my hand out to his mouth to stop him saying anything after that. “Serious now,” I told him.

I could feel him laughing against my hand but he nodded his head at me and I let him go.

“Your hand tastes weird,” he whispered.

“Well you shouldn’t tasted it then, should you?” I said, trying to look down on him, but at seat level I'm not actually that much taller than him so it was a little hard. “Look,” I sighed. “Why did you walk away back there?”

He looked down at the table for a second before facing me again.

“Honest answer?” he asked me.

I nodded at him, wondering why he even had to ask that. Seriously, why would I ask him something if I didn't want him to tell me the real reason?

“It was just...you were different back there you know,” he whispered, turning slightly pink, I didn't really understand why.

“In what way?” I asked curiously.

I don’t think I’m different.

“In the way that you were about to attack a bloody security guard who was helping me out,” he mumbled, sounding a bit sarcastic as he did though.

“That way,” I whispered. “Chuck isn't the sort of person you should spend time with, just so you know. If you’d been here a bit longer you’d be grateful if I ever hurt him.”

He shook his head at me, not agreeing, but I was still certain that I was right. I just know I am because when Riley starts to settle down he’ll share the same hatred for Chuck as everybody else does. That’s just how things go around here.

“Riley?” I asked him.

“What?” he asked, sounding a bit fed up now. He’ll thank me one day though...I know he will.

“Who was it who punched you?” I asked him.

“I said it didn't matter,” he hissed at me.

“But it does,” I whispered. “You’d give me eye contact if it didn't bother you.”

He shook his head at me and frowned.

“You would,” I whispered, moving his head with my hands to force him to look at me again.

“Can we just drop it?” he asked.

I really wanted to tell him no but I couldn’t say no to him, not when I can tell that it’s getting him a bit worked up. I suppose I’ll have to find out who did it to him later...then I shall make sure they suffer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha i remember really enjoying writing this chapter xD
I'm not too sure what it was but i had a smile on my face for like the whole time

Thanks to all my readers and subscribers and to rossakamfzb for the comment :)

Remember to tell me what you're thinking guys hehe

Oh and just so you know, updates will slow down a bit now I'm back at school