Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

Be Proud, Young One

The Fellowship followed the caravan of Elves onward from there, only stopping once Haldir spoke.

“Caras Galadhon… the heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of Light."

Raina looked over the edge of the cliff they were standing on to see the wooded area below them. To her, it didn’t look like anything special.

But once they reached the wood, something was definitely special. The trees surrounding them were larger than any than the Perian had seen. It would likely take the Fellowship in it entirety, holding hands, to wrap around the trunks.

They traveled quickly after that, the blessing of the Lady of the Wood with them. Soon, night had fallen, and lights were lit in the winding paths around the trees. Far above their heads, Raina could make out large dwellings and buildings, seeming to be suspended in the trees branches.

The farther they traveled, the larger and more elaborate the places carved into the trees became, until they reached what seemed to be the Lady’s Hall.

Raina marveled at the intricate beauty of the Hall as they climbed the winding stairs to reach it. Specks of light that seemed to just gather together formed a glow that pushed out all the darkness of the night. They Fellowship soon reached a large platform sitting in front of the thrones of the royalty.

Two glowing figures stood in front of them. Raina watched in awe as they descended the short stairs separating the thrones from the Fellowship. The couple reminded Raina of faerie kings and queens told in the old legends to Hobbit children.

“The enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone,” the male said in a monotonous voice.

“Eight there are here, yet nine there were, set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak to him,” he asked, and Raina flinched. Surely the Lady knew of Gandalf’s fate, so why did she not let her mate know of this, before he could say such things? Legolas wrapped his arms around her, but did not take his eyes off the Elves out of respect. Raina forced herself to look back up at them and try to forget about her emotions for the moment, but a tear slid down her dirty face anyways.

Galadriel’s eyes flickered to Raina, and her breath caught in her throat before the Lady removed her gaze.

“Gandalf the Grey did not pass through the borders. He had fallen into shadow,” she said slowly in her melodious voice. Raina looked up again, and could not help but to feel drawn to the Lady’s voice.

From her side, Aragorn nodded slowly. On her other side, Legolas spoke.

“He was taken by both Shadow and Flame: a Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the depths of Moria.”

Most of the Fellowship bowed their heads in grief as these words were spoken.

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his whole purpose.

“Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Glóin.” Raina looked up in surprise. Why would this Elf of royalty and great power speak to the Dwarf, while all others in her kingdom either ignored him or taunted him? Raina did not realize that she was trying to scrutinize the Lady before she looked at Raina’s questioning eyes with a small smile. Raina, whose face was now burning bright red, looked away in shame.

“Do not be ashamed of your subconscious actions, Little One.” The voice of the Lady echoed inside Raina’s head, and she jumped in Legolas’s arms. “You have many things to be proud of, Little One. Never forget that. You shall not feel inferior here. Not around myself, nor any of these Elves. You are just as brave as any the pureblooded male Elves, if not more so. Do not let them bring you down, Little One.”

Raina gave a small smile, her heart beating with purpose for the first time in a while.

“The Fellowship stands upon the edge of a knife,” Galadriel was saying out loud. “Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all.”

Raina listened to her words intently now, seeking the wisdom that lay beneath them. Maybe the Lady was the help that she needed after these few months.

“Yet hope remains while company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace."