Status: Updating

Baby Doll

Chapter 1

Jason

 

“Jason you are by far the saddest guy I know.” Anna said. I tore my eyes away from the girl lingering next to the restaurant and looked at Anna.  Anna was sitting on the counter, legs crossed at the ankle in a maid uniform. Don’t jump to conclusions. If you jet over to Tokyo to name one place you’d find a café full of girls dressed as maids.  It was just a themed restaurant that paid well.  Nothing weird happened behind the scenes and those who thought so met the curb. 

 

“What are you talking about?” I said. I played nonchalantly with my red ponytail where it laid on my shoulder. Anna nodded toward the girl.

“Almost every day she’s out there debating whether or not to come it. When the first costumers show she leaves.”

“Really?” I said my eyes darting from the girl to my hair quickly.

“I hadn’t noticed.”  I had noticed. She’d started doing it almost a month ago. I’d named her Goldilocks for the mass of golden curls that flowed past her shoulders.

“Yes really.” Anna said rolling her eyes. She hopped off the counter and smoothed out her uniform.

“Take out the trash lover boy.”  She called as she headed into the dining room.

 

Once I was sure Anna was in the dining room I looked outside. I swallowed a scream as the girl smiled and coked an eyebrow. She was right at the glass laughing at my face which I’m sure looked stupid. I blushed and she did the same. Up close the mysterious Goldilocks was even more beautiful. Her pale pink lips where allowing small white clouds to leave them and I smiled. I pointed to her then herself before pointing to behind me. She seemed to get the question but shook her head.

 

Goldilocks looked to her left and her eyes widened. She darted away from the window to the right and I did the same.  For some reason I grabbed the trash even in my hurry as I entered the alley beside the restaurant. I knew Goldilocks would have to pass the mouth of it so I went there and waited. Seconds later just as she ran past I grabbed her and pulled her against my chest.

 

Her pale skin was flushed from the cold as she gazed up at me with worried eyes. My hand covered her mouth as I made motions toward the side door. She nodded and ran toward it. I picked up the bag of trash at my feet and dropped it in the dumpster.  I waited for the jerk I’d seen her with a month ago. Sure enough . . .

 

“Hey!” I turned withdrawing a pack of smoked from my pocket. The guys stood there in all his glory. He had the body of a man played a sport probably football. If we fought it would be brawn over skill.

“Yeah?” I drawled my tone bored.

 

I extracted a cigarette from the pack before pulled out my zippo and lighting it up.  He entered the alley and I allowed tension to leak into my muscles as I inhaled the smoke.

“Have you seen a blond girl around here?” He asked his blue eyes livid. Now that he was closer I could see his all American boy looks. Based on looks he was the perfect match for Goldilocks. Cheerleader Football  player combo.

 

I blew smoke at him pushing him away from me a little.

“It’s Vegas man blondes are a dime a dozen.” He laughed and ran a hand though his hair.

“You’d notice this one. Really pretty and young looking.” He thought for a second.

“There’s a diamond on her finger.” I examined my lighter as an excuse to look down. Married. Should I really get involved if this was just a lover quarrel?

 

Then I remembered the look on her eyes when she was in the window. I flipped the lighter closed.

“Nope. I’ll tell you if I do . . .”

“Matthew Sykes.” Matthew said shaking my hand. I nodded.

“What you wife’s name?” He laughed.  I saw the tension leave his body.

“She’s my girlfriend. But long term. It’s more of a promise ring.”  I nodded.

“What’s her name?” Matthew stiffened and I saw his eyes harden again.

“Don’t worry about it. Thanks for the help Jason.” He left and I cursed my nametag.

 

I entered the café shivering slightly and found Goldilocks hunched behind the counter.

“Hello.’ I said awkwardly. She smiled.

“Hey. Thank I guess . . . for helping me.” She said looking away so her hair covered her face.

“Matthew’s gone.’ I said and she sighed.

“He’s going to be so mad later.” She whispered. I crouched down beside her ignoring the diamond ring I could now see on her finger.

“Can I ask your name?”

“Stephanie.” She said. She finally looked up at me and I fell in love all over again as she smiled.

“Stephanie Summers.”