Status: Updating

Baby Doll

Chapter 3

 

2 years later  . . .

 

Jason

 

            I used my hand to shield the wind as I lit my cigarette. I inhaled and cursed myself. I needed to quit. Not because of my health but because it could damage your taste buds. I planned on opening up my own place restaurant or bakery someday and it would suck if I couldn’t taste the food. I let the smoke slip through my lips and curl upwards.

 

“Jason are you seriously smoking? It’s insane in here?!” I jump and my smoke falls to the ground.  

“Shit Goldilocks can’t you wear a bell around your neck or something? You scared me.”  I grind the dying cigarette under my shoes, muttering under my breath  Stephanie giggles.

She started working here a week after I officially met her. She looked perfect in the Oh La La! uniform, all blonde curls and bubbly energy.

 
“A bell Jason?”  She questions as we enter the restaurant. I nod.

“My parents put one on my ankle as a toddler. If they couldn’t hear the bell or see me they knew I was probably getting into something.”  Stephanie shakes her head and laughs.

“You have such a weird family.” I look at her in disbelief.

“Who in your family taught you to ruin the tradition of cupcake eating?”  Stephanie pushes her hair back from her face and rolls her eyes.

“Oh my god Jason.”

“No no no. Don’t  ‘’oh my god Jason’’ me Stephanie Summers. Who commits the sacrilege of ripping a cupcake in half and then making some sick cupcake sandwich?”  Stephanie looks up at me.

“You do realize how crazy and obsessive that sounds right?”

“The proper way to eat a cupcake is to lick off the frosting then shove the whole thing in your mouth.”

“But you do the same thing I do!”

“Because you’ve dragged me into your world of sin.” I groan and cover my face with my hands.

“I’m going to burn in a buttercream frosting filled hell.” 

We enter the kitchen and a people are rushing around and orders are being yelled out.  The clashes and plates and other dishware fill the room.

“Well I must get to work Goldilocks. See you at closing time.” I say leaning down.  Stephanie smiles and kisses my cheek.

“See you then Jason.” She hurries away while I slip a coat on and head to my station.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 Stephanie

 

I slid my pink cashmere over my head after work with a content sigh. I loved how work allowed me unsupervised time out of the house but it could get tiring. Anna holds her hair off her neck and groans. She’s seated on the bench in front of our lockers half naked.

“Why was it so fucking busy today?”  I shrug as I pull my hair out of the collar of my dress.

“Maybe it’s because Valentine’s Day is tomorrow.”  I say. Anna perks up.

“Oh my god your party is tomorrow! I almost forgot my baby’s turning 19.” Just then another girl comes in fresh off her shift.

“Jillian!” Anna calls out.

“Stephanie’s birthday is tomorrow and I was thinking we could go out tonight.”

Jillian was a few years older than us and working her way through college. She had wide puppy dog brown eyes and light brown hair kept firmly in a French braid outside of work. Jillian was always finishing up some book/essay or studying for a test three months away everyone knew she’d ace. I hoped this would help me out. While I’d love to go dance the night away with my friends, I knew Matt wouldn’t let me go without supervision.y
 
“Sure. I just aced some exams and could use a little celebration.” She said her hands going to braid her hair. Anna cheered and beamed.

“Fuck yeah! Now we just have to figure out where to go.” I started to chew on my knuckle. Matt wouldn’t allow me to do this. Especially if it was Anna since Matt and Anna hated each other. Anna thought Matt was too controlling and Matt thought Anna was a junkie slut.  I flinched at the words.

“I can’t go guys . . . ” Anna groaned even louder than before.

“Jesus Christ the hulk can last one night without you! He’s already claimed you for your birthday night.” Jillian eases to her locker, trying not to get involved. She might act like a mother to us but she knew when to back away.

“Anna it’s Valentine’s day of course he wants me that night. And he’s not the Hulk he’s Matt. I’m tired and we can hang out at my party tomorrow.” Anna snorts.

“Your party? Please it’s just another chance for Matthew   to show off his pretty little doll.” She says.

My eyes widened before I toss my stuff in my locker and grab my bag. Tears threaten to fall and I blink rapidly. I wouldn’t let her see how hard that comment stung.  I couldn’t let them see how bad the truth stung.

Jillian glares at Anna.

“Anna didn’t mean that Stephanie sweetie.  We just wish we could hang out more. It’s-”

“I hate how controlling he is with you.” Anna breaks in.

“For gods sake you’re a grown ass women.” I swallow thickly as I shut my locker.

“He doesn’t control me I just don’t want to shake my ass every night on a table.” I say quickly before leaving the locker room. I can hear Jillian reprimanding Anna as I run into Jason’s chest. He steadies me.

“I was just getting ready to let you know I was done. We should hurry though before I get pulled into clean up.”  I nod and we leave Oh La! La! through another side door. In my haste I’d forgotten my jacket and I shiver. Jason looks down.

“Goldi how am I supposed to take you home on my bike in that? You’ll freeze.” I blush and look at the ground.

“Anna and I got into an argument and I forgot my jacket.”  Jason tilts my chin up and kisses my forehead.

“I’m not dropping a popsicle off . I’ll go grab it.” He says before darting back inside.

The door shuts behind him with a low thud and I’m left alone in the deserted parking lot. I feel like every horror movie cliché as I wrap my arms around myself.  On tonight’s news a blonde was found strangled in a parking lot. We question why in the hell she was out there in the first place? It seems to get colder so I inch toward the door. Juts then a hand falls on my shoulder