Contagious

.05

-- Present –
Vic began scribbling away in his notebook, writing every word and phrase that came to mind. He became furious, and deeply saddened at the same time. His feelings were overwhelming but he continued to write.
Bury Me In The Bedroom Where I,
Can Sing You To Sleep All Night.
Put me next to the open window
promise me a second time.
'Cause I don't want to leave without you buried by my side.
I'd rather kill the one responsible for falling stars at night,
'cause they fall all around me.
The night can be deadly.

-- 23 months ago –

Vic held Hilary close to him, giving her the wall side of the bunk, knowing Hilary, she would just fall out of the bunk. He made circles on her back with his fingers tips, massaging her spine softly. She had always fallen asleep faster that way.
She sighed into his neck, “Sing to me?” she requested kissing the nape of his neck.
Vic chuckled, “I could stay awake just to hear you breathing…” he began singing her favorite Aerosmith song.
She adjusted her body and smiled into his chest, finally closing her eyes, “I love you Victor.”

-- Present –
And they'll never take us alive.
(Can you chase away the darkness?)
To live in love and die.
Last night she recited every reason she's fine.
So if we're heading there together at the same time,
you sing while I drive.

-- 22 months ago –

“And this last fry is mine!” Hilary laughed as she placed a golden potato in her mouth, “I swear the French have amazing taste.” She cooed rubbing her stomach.
Vic let his right hand fall from the steering wheel to grab Hilary’s hand, “Babe, the French didn’t invent French Fries.”
She squeezed his hand playfully, “Uhm, yes they did Vic. If I invented them I would have called them Hilary Fries.”
Vic laughed loudly keeping his concentration on the road ahead of him, “Come on you think the fancy people in France invented something as simple as the French Fry?”
“Fries are Fancy!” Hilary stated pulling something out of the McDonalds paper bag, “If they weren’t why would they add Fancy Ketchup?” she slowed him a red packet.
Vic laughed again, “You see how easily American can be fooled?”
“Whatever Vic, you’re just jealous of my fanciness.” She giggled, “So where are you taking me?”
“You’ll see.” Vic smiled.
Hilary suddenly let go of his hand and pressed both of her hands on to her seat, her expression became twisted in pain.
“Hilary?” Vic looked over at her, ‘What’s wrong?” his voice shook. He pulled out of the street and parked quickly anywhere he could find, putting his emergency lights on.
“Hilary.” He place his hand on her shoulder and pulled out his cellphone.
“No.” she choked out, pushing his phone away, “I’m okay.” The color was draining from her face, “I’m okay” she repeated.
Her breaths became quick and sharp. Vic shook his head and started dialing on his cell phone. 911.
“Vic!” she called out grabbing his hand, she began to sweat, “I’m okay.”
He shook his head, “I need an ambulance quick! Just off Las Palmas Road! Hurry! I don’t know… She was cancer. Just hurry!” He hung up and started looking for water in the back seat.
“Vic!” she said more angrily, “Don’t, I’m okay…”
“You’re not okay Hilary.” He raised his voice opening the water bottle. He took off his red shirt and poured the water on it. He then pressed it against her forehead, “You’re burning.”
-- Present –

Vic’s eyes filled with tears remembering that day.

Move like a fugitive tonight.
Dance on the ambulance,
'cause I would rather spend my life
vacations in bed with you like drunken summer kites.
And this is only a test,
sober and scaring me to death.

-- 22 months ago –
The ambulance got to them quickly, moving Hilary from Vic’s car to the ambulance. Mike and Jaime had reached them as well.
“No! Take my car!” Vic said urgently, “I’m riding in the ambulance! Call Hil’s mom!” he called out to his brother.
A pair of paramedics were working on making Hilary comfortable, adding an oxygen mask and taking her blood pressure. Hilary’s green eyes began getting duller as concern danced around Vic’s eyes.
“Hold on…” He grabbed her pale hand and pressed it to his lips, “Hold on baby.”
The sounds of the sirens invaded Vic’s ears along with the constant numbers being spoken by the paramedics.
He shook his head fighting tears from rising in his eyes, “You’ll be okay Hil, hold on.”
Her eyes were scared.
How did this happen so suddenly? What did he do wrong? He had always been extra careful with her, treating her like glass… This was his fault, he was sure of it, “Hold on baby…” he whispered to her again.