Status: DONE!!!!!!!!!

Murtagh's New Story

Chapter 18: Let’s Talk

Aquasari lowered herself to the ground with an exasperated sigh.

Get on. It is too far to walk home today, she said.

They nodded and did as they were told. Icenia was too tired to argue and she had too much on her mind. When she and Murtagh were settled in the saddle, Aquasari launched them into the air. They flew over the green treetops for a while until a particularly large one in an open area came into view. The dragon headed for the tree and went through a teardrop shaped gap in the wall to land in it. They were in the main room of Icenia’s and Aquasari’s home. There were chairs and couches centered around a small wooden table towards the back of the room and a low-rimmed bowl the floor near by with soft, colorful blankets. Murtagh and Icenia climbed down.

I am going to go hunting unless you need me for something and I will bring extra for you three, Aquasari said as Icenia unsaddled her.

Icenia thanked her and put the saddle on a specially made stand by the dragon’s bed. She dug through the bags and found the sag of dried meat, which she tossed to Murtagh. He thanked her. Thorn was already sniffing around hungrily.

You should talk to him about what’s upsetting you, she said only to Icenia. I know it’s nigh on impossible for you to open up like that but maybe he can help. Then again I am more than likely wasting time telling you, if our minds were not connected I would know next to nothing about such things. I can bet that he will ask soon. So behave and try not to keep everything locked up, she added before taking off back through the opening.

As Murtagh feed Thorn Icenia when over to where her weapons were kept. A shield hung on the wall by different hooks where she hung up her sword, bow, quiver and daggers. A mannequin with her polished, exotic shaped armor sat next to a pair of hand shaped ones on a tall pedestal. On the hands was a set of unique gloves. Murtagh walked over and admired them as a full and content Thorn curled up on the blankets. The gloves wear made of tough, black leather and the figures stopped just at the second knuckle. Steel spikes were set in the first knuckles that were much like the dwarves’ “fists of steel”. The same swirly letter that was on Regaris’ blade was stitched to the back of the hand with silver and blue thread.

“Note to self. Never anger Icenia, especially when she has these on”, Murtagh smirked.

“My Ascûdgamln gloves. The dwarves have metal bases embedded in their knuckles where similar spikes can be screwed in. They call it Ascûdgamln or “fists of steel”. Such a procedure is not possible for humans or elves because our bones are too thin but with some help from a dwarf friend and Rhunön we developed these. With the thick layer of padding under the spike bases I can punch anything and not injure myself”, she explained.

Murtagh whistled his appreciation.

A small noise made her turn around. On the table in the middle of the chairs a note had appeared. Icenia walked over and read it.

Dear Icenia, Aquasari, Murtagh and Thorn,
I must apologize for our failure to complete the arrangements for our new Rider and dragon. It will be ready by tomorrow. Another message when we are done.
I hope your journey went well and I am glad you two are safe. Also I wish to convey my greetings to Rider Murtagh and his dragon Thorn. Welcome to Ellesméra!
May good fortune rule over you,
Peace live in your heart,
And the stars watch over you.
Bellaen du Hljödhr

“What’s that?” Murtagh asked.

Icenia handed him the note. He read it to himself then handed it back to her.

“That is fine with me. Huge changes such as this are always best handled with a friend anyway”, he said with a warm smile.

She gave him a small smile back. Murtagh knew something was bothering her and Icenia knew it.

“Come I will show you around”, she said before he had a chance to ask. Pointing to an open door in the left corner of the room she said, “There is the kitchen”.

She led him up the spiraling stairs in the right corner of the room. The stairs opened up to her study. A stocked writing desk was by a window and there were hundreds of cubbyholes in the walls that held an assortment of books and scrolls. A few soft couches and chairs dotted the room as well as another dragon bed and opening.

“My study”, Icenia gestured to the room. “Through here is the washroom and there is the bedroom. Another staircase in the bedroom goes to the kitchen”, she continued pointing to the door in the back and then to the right.

Murtagh sighed and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“What?” she asked although they both knew the answer.

He scooped her up and set her on a comfortable lounge then pulled up a chair.

“Something those nobles said is bothering you”, he stated calmly.

“Aye. So?” she asked.

“It’s not good to keep these kinds of things locked away. I know, I’ve been there and I never had anyone to talk to. Just a wild guess but I would say you’ve been there too. I realize you have Aquasari but she is connected to your mind and actually talking about it helps. You know you can trust me”, he caught her eyes and held them.

“I do not normally open up to others. It’s hard for me. I have been stabbed in the back so many times I find it difficult to trust people. Even the ones I do trust do not know much about such personal things. My mind is the only place I am truly safe”, she said as she stood up.

“Aye. * My mind is the only sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. Men have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts. * But Icenia what ever they said is seriously bothering you and I am concerned”.

“About me? You are the one who had to tell twenty some odd complete strangers your life story and your whole life has been flipped on its head and your worried about me?!” she asked.

“Don’t try to change the subject and do the same to me. You have helped me so much in so many ways. Lets me try to return all the kindness you have shown me”.

“I’m fine. I do not need to talk about it. By morning things will be normal”.

“You are not being weak. Opening up to someone takes courage for people like us. You carry the burden of so many of your distaste for you and yet you never changed. It takes a very strong person to keep fighting. Please let me ease that burden, if only for a while” his eyes pleaded.

“It takes a strong man to survive what you did and not be polluted by the king; but it takes an even stronger one to come out of it as kind and decent as you have” she said quietly.

There was a pause. Icenia trusted him and knew what he said was true. She sighed defeated.

“I will try it your way”, she told him as she walked over to the window.

“Thank you”, he replied quietly.

She drew in a breath and gathered her thoughts.

“Nothing they said bothered me until they called me incompetent. I have fought for all of them since I completed my training. I’ve stuck my neck out for those who hated me for so long. While they sit here safely Aquasari and I are out there putting our lives on the line and for what? We return and I am rewarded with is scorn and hatred. I do not ask for much, only some respect. That is bad enough but now I am incompetent? Even from Rögním and Threk’dë that stings and I could not give a rat’s ass what they think. But how many others think that? How many others would be more than happy if I was killed? Why do they despise me so when Aquasari and I risk our lives to protect them? The thought of so many people you risk everything for not only hating you but wishing you dead…it feels like another betrayal ”, Icenia’s were getting misty and there was a lump in her throat.

She heard Murtagh stand and walk up to her. He turned her around and hugged her tightly. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his neck. His soft hair tickled her skin and he smelled good. It helped her calm down and get a grip on herself. He tipped her head up towards him and kissed her gently.

“Feeling better?” he asked.

“No. Now I just want to go beat them until their brains are so scrambled they won’t know up from down”, she said with a grumpy pout.

Murtagh sighed again, rolling his eyes and trying not to smile.

“You’re just not going to give up are you?” he smirked.

“Have I ever surrendered?” she asked raising an eyebrow.

“What am I going to do with you Icenia?” he asked sighing.

“Well, you could always kiss me again”, she replied with a contemplating look.

“Oh I’ll kiss you again alright”, he said with a fake annoyed look.

The next second he had her against the wall and was doing just that. His mouth was keeping hers busy and his hands were exploring her waist, hips and sides. But what were hers supposed to be doing? Apparently anything they wished. They raked his chest, earning her a throaty groan that she found very amusing. She took a nipple between her teeth and gave it a slight nip. He groaned again and she couldn’t help but giggle.

“That is not fair on many levels! I cannot do that to you!” he complained in a thick husky voice.

“I never play fair though, that’s the thing. It makes it just that much more fun”, she replied a bit huskily too, nipping his earlobe.

“Alright, that’s it”, he said.

Icenia barely had time to squeak before he threw her over his shoulder.

“Murtagh!”

“That’s my name”, he said grinning.

“Put me down! This is not fair on so many levels!” she said slapping his butt.

“I do not play fair either baby”, he laughed and smacked her on the ass.

“Hey!”

Then they heard approaching wing beats.

“Sounds like Aquasari is back”, he said walking towards the stairs wit a triumphant grin.

“Murtagh! Put me down!” she yelled.

“Hmmmm. Naaaa I would prefer not”, he said.

They reached the bottom about the same time Aquasari landed. The dragon took one look at her Rider and began to laugh. Murtagh was of course laughing and Icenia was trying to hide the smile that was threatening to form at the corners of her mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm two chapters in one weekend, cool! I just started writing and couldn't stop. Which is good cuz the last chapter was short and all fillers. This was a fun one...or at least near the end. It makes me laugh. By the way if you want to see the symbol on Regaris it's in my pictures. The symbol is a Celtic triskelion. It represents feminine power kind of thing. One of the little swirly things stands for the maid, the mother, and the crone. It reminds me of Queen Boudica and it seemed fitting for Icenia.
This week's "immortal" list of awesome people
Werewolf.Lycan (for Ch. 17)
autumnfreakshow (Ch. 18)
Thanks to all my wonderful readers and an even bigger thank you to those who comment!
Ice Cat

P.S. Speaking of laughing I about died when I saw this. Enjoy.

Image