Status: New Story- Complete

Imprinted on My Heart

Chapter 20

Annette’s POV

I sighed as I looked in on Maeve and Alex; they were both in the same state as they had been for the past two days since the fight.

Brice and Gabe explained that they had been ambushed by seven vampires and that two had ganged up on Alex, putting him in this state though they confessed that they had passed out before the fight ended between Alex and the two vampires that were after him. We found out that they did kill three of the vampires so I guess we did more damage than them but that is no comfort really when your son and his girlfriend are lying in a coma together with no idea if or when they will come out of it.

I do know that if one were to come out of it and not the other then they would be likely to kill themselves. I knew how much my son loved and Maeve and I knew he wouldn’t be able to live without her and I knew the same could be said of Maeve. It was wonderful that she loved my son that much, as much as I loved my own husband.

I sighed as I ran a wash cloth over Maeve’s face, warm, in the hopes of warming her slightly. Her temperature had dropped and she had paled, like the life was leaving her as the days went on. I suspected and hoped that she was somehow trying to aid my son back into this world but I’m no expert on these things having never seen it before in all my years with Adolf.

I shook my head and got to my feet after finding no change. Walking out of the room I made my way into Adolf’s office. He looked up from his work and seeing my face, he opened his arms and walked right into them, sitting on his lap and burying my head in his chest letting out deep sobs.

Maeve’s POV

I looked around myself, finding I was in the bedroom of a house I knew didn’t exist.

I sighed and looked up to find Alex coming out the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist loosely, as he grinned at me
“honey, I think we should stay in tonight” he said suggestively as he strutted over to me and leant over me, making me lean backwards as he trapped me against the mattress.

I looked up at him, water dripping from him, and gave a small smile
“Don’t you think we should leave here now Alex?” I asked him. He groaned and pulled away to sit on the mattress beside me, resting his elbows on his knees as he looked down at the ground
“don’t you want to be with me?” he asked hurt, I sighed and placed a hand on his forearm making him look up at me with sad eyes.

I gave him a loving smile
“I love you Alex and I want to be wherever you are but I would prefer to be in the real world with you” I confessed.

I knew this was some kind of a dream world, something our minds created together as we were in some kind of coma. I could hear people in the real world sometimes talking about us and while I loved being with Alex like this, I knew it wasn’t real and it didn’t feel real.

Alex shook his head
“but why would you want to go back? Its great here isn’t it? We’re together and happy, we can do what we want without the threat of a war looming over us, no one to fight, and no one to take us away from each other” he tried to persuade me. I raised a brow
“Alex don’t you get it? Once the war is over we can be like this, together forever and you know it, please let’s just go back and we can live for real. I don’t want to live a half life like this, I want our friends and family around us” I pleaded. He grunted and got to his feet abruptly.

He paced to the bathroom door and clenched his fists before turning and shaking his head
“no! I don’t want to go back yet, we can stay here, it’s safe. I love you and I love it being just us, can’t you live with just me?” he asked sadly.

I sighed and looked at the ground, shaking my head
“it’s not a question of living just with you, I would move to the most out of the way place with you I possibly could if you wanted but we can do it in the real world Alex, the world where we can be together fully for the rest of our lives, if we stay here our bodies will eventually die and then what? We might be ripped away from one another as we die and I couldn’t take that” I bit out, a sob escaping at the end.

Alex sighed and walked back over to me, kneeling in front of me, taking my head in his hands and lifting it so he could look me in the eye.

Resignation was evident there and he said solemnly
“we’ll go back, I don’t want to leave you either,” he sighed and shook his head “I’m keeping us here because I thought it was the best place to be together but if you’re miserable here then we should go back” he said. I blinked away the tears and looked him fully in the eye.

I reached up and took one of his hands in my own
“really?” I asked, he nodded and I leaned forwards to kiss him deeply. He groaned and pulled me closer to him, making sure to show me how much he loved me with his mouth.

Pulling away I smiled
“are you ready?” I asked, he nodded and together we focused on our world.

Alex’s POV

Opening my eyes once more I found myself lying next to Maeve. I turned my head to look at her just as her eyes opened; she looked directly at me and gave a small smile. I returned it and reached for her hand, her own meeting mine half way, and they clasped.

I felt the connection between us now, that indestructible, invisible line that would connect us for the rest of our lives and the next. I brought her hand to my lips and placed a kiss across her knuckles making her eyes sparkle and her smile widen. I was so happy I had her.