Status: New Story! Updates weekly

What Lies Beneath The Surface

FOUR

“So Miss Johnson, what your telling me is that yesterday morning you witnessed a murder that you have failed to report, then the murderer followed you into a diner on Park Avenue where the two of you ate together before you left to return home where you felt someone had broke in but did not report that so you went to bed where you woke up the next morning and found the murdered victim in your closet?” The officer asked raising his eyebrow at the whole scenario.

“Yes!” I exclaimed while throwing my hands up in the air.

“Please keep it down Miss, we have an investigation going on.” Another officer told me.

At the moment there were ten people in my very cramped apartment and from what I have heard there were more to come.

Some were taking photos of various things in my apartment; others were taking samples and prints of things that look out of place while a few were talking on phones.

I can honestly say I would never have expected this to happen to me.

“Do you know what this man looks like?” The officer who had been questioning me asked.

“Well I did have coffee with him,” I said sarcastically. This man was treating me like some child.

“No need for attitude Miss Johnson.” I rolled my eyes at the officer.

“We’re going to take you down to the station for further questioning. If your story is accurate we may also need to move you elsewhere for the time being considering the murderer may still be after you.”

I nodded and followed the officer out of my apartment. As we headed towards the elevator we passed by more investigators who were heading towards my apartment.

>>>>>

It was seven at night before I left the station infuriated.

Apparently I had no proof that someone was after me and they blamed my paranoia on the fact that there was a dead body in my apartment.

No shit.

However the police gave me enough money to stay in a hotel for the next few weeks but personally I think that they only did that because they need to investigate the crime scene and they don’t want me bothering them as they worked.

Well sorry that I need to live somewhere.

I made my way downtown towards a hotel that seemed to have a better reputation than most of the other ones.

I was glad that the police let me back into my apartment to grab some necessities for my long stay however the least they could do was give me a ride to a hotel.

Almost reaching the hotel I planned on staying at, I glanced at my clock and realized I should not be hanging around these parts of town this late at night.

I let out a sigh of relief at seeing the close proximity of the building.

Suddenly my foot got caught on a crack in the cement sidewalk and I tripped.

I cursed at the sudden pain in my knee and could tell that I had scraped it pretty good.

Oh Joy.

“Here let me help you.” A voice said from my left.

I quickly looked over and gasped when I saw Sam standing there holding out his hand.

I took it and cringed at the pain in my knee.

“Are you alright?” I nodded and attempted to grab my suitcase from the ground but Sam
already had it in his hand and holding it just out of reach.

“Let me help you to your hotel room.” How did he know I was staying in a hotel?

“Ho-how do you know that?”

He held my suitcase higher as if to show this was how he knew.

Liar.

“Well it’s nice of you to offer but I think I can manage fine on my own.” I again attempted to grab my suitcase but he took a step further into an alley.

I did not like this situation was playing out.

“Are you sure? I could just walk you to your room?” He offered.

I sighed in annoyance and frustration. I guess the only way I was going to get away from him is if I let him carry my suitcase.

“Okay sure, I guess that wouldn’t do any harm.”

Sam grinned at me and grabbed my hand in his empty one and led us towards the entrance of the building.

Finally after checking into the hotel, and telling the girl at the front desk that I was only one staying in the hotel room for the fifth time I was given my room key and we headed up to my room.

The elevator ride was awkward and annoying considering that we were the only people on it.

I began to get a gut feeling that something was going to go horribly wrong.

No shit, considering that a man who I saw murder someone was leading me to my hotel room which means he will know where I am staying.

The elevator soon signaled that we were at the right floor and the doors soon opened.

I looked at my room key and read the numbers 89C.

Thankfully my room was not too far from the elevator.

Sam placed my suitcase outside my door and smiled at me.

“Thanks for your help,” I said not looking at him as I finally got my door unlocked.

“It’s my pleasure Emilee.” I could hear the smirk in his voice.

I gasped at the use of my real name.

“You know it’s nice to lie Emilee.” I turned to face him, shock written all over my face.

Before I could even respond he pulled out a cloth from his pocket and pressed it firmly against my mouth and nose, his other hand coming behind my head to keep me from moving my face away.

I began to struggle as I was being pushed into my room.

As the door slammed shut I fell into a sea of blackness.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am sad at the lack of subscribers >.>
Those of you who are reading,, I love you! C:

Please comment&subscribe&check out my other stories
An Ordinary Life? I Don't Think So
Alone In This World