‹ Prequel: In Your Mind
Status: New. Read the prequels.

Like We Used To

Chapter 13

I could have fell to the cold, parking lot as I watched Kyle drive away in his jeep. Tears brimmed my eyes as I realized that this time, it was my fault he left.

I hurriedly felt around my pockets, searching for my keys. I smile in glee as my fingers briefly touched the cold metal.

I frantically jammed them in my car door and jumped in, cranking it and speeding off. I glanced around, searching every store for Kyle's all too familiar jeep. My bottom lip quavered as I realized I couldn't spot Kyle's jeep anywhere.

____

"What happened?" Garrett inquired, cracking his knuckles for an effect.

My teeth chattered as I pulled my knees up to my chest. "I don't know. " I murmured quietly. "I was just talking to Marcie and I may have kissed her-"

"Jinx!" He cried out, throwing his hands up. "That's probably the worst idea you could ever, in your right mind, think of!"

"Thanks for the confidence level." I muttered, wiping my eyes.

"Oh shit," He mumbled. "Don't cry! Please don't cry, I can't handle tears. You know that and- what are you doing?"

"I-I'm not crying." I sniffled. "It's allergy's, you know pollen always gets to me."

"Yes you are!" He exclaimed, jumping to his feet abruptly.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a small voice.

"Calling John."

I bite my lip and looked down, fiddling with my thumbs. "You can't. He'll get that disappointed look on his face, and I can't take that right now."

He sighed and slumped his shoulders. "Jinx, you need him. He's always good with shit like this that happens.. to you."

"Just, now not, yeah?"

He huffed and crossed his arms, stuffing his phone in his pocket. "Then what? What do you want me to do?"

"Just.." I paused, closing my eyes. "Tell me what to do. Tell me how to fix this fucking mess, that I caused this time."

I swallowed and glanced up at him, brushing my hair out of my face in anticipation. I gazed at him, watching every ounce of emotion that flickered across his face.

"Jinx," He said softly. "Only you know the answer to that."

"That's what I was afraid you would say."

He grinned childishly and ruffled my hair. "Do you want anything? My mom just made some of her legendary cookies."

"No thanks." I sighed, burying my head into one of the many pillows that littered his bed. I lay still and listened to the rain as it pelted against the roof.

I gazed out the window and watched as rain hit it and rolled down the side, leaving a streak of water behind. I starred up at the moon, the same moon that Kyle was under.. Wherever he was.

A small smile crawled to my lips as I listened to Garrett's family downstairs. I closed my eyes and shook my head as Garrett shrieked at something Trey did to him. I rolled over to my side and rubbed my tired worn out out.

I still can't manage to come up with a good enough reason as to why I came to Garrett's house, out of all the places.

I could of went to Heidi's.

Or John's.

Possibly even Spencer's.

But I ended up at Garrett's house, scaring the shit out of him as I knocked on his door in the middle of a thunderstorm.

____

"How was work?" Jared questioned, tossing me a water.

I shrugged. "Okay."

He nodded and cracked open his water, sitting it on one of the many amps that occupied the garage of John's house.

I sipped my water quietly and watched as the neighborhood kids ran around, giggling and yelling like no tomorrow. A small amused smile stretched across my face.

"They have it made." I murmured.

Jared looked out at them and nodded. "For now, later on, some of them will be similar to the same boat were in."

"One of them might even grow up to be a billionaire." I mused.

Jared laughed and nodded. "That too."

A comfortable silence settled over the garage as nothing was spoken. That's one of the things I enjoy the most out of Jared's personality. He doesn't force anything out of you unless it's absolutely necessary.

"Garrett said something about you coming to his house." Jared spoke up.

I stood up abruptly and began making my way to the stairs. "Wait!" He called after me, freezing me in my steps.

I lingered by the door, glancing out of him from the corner of my eye. "Yeah?" I asked, my worn out voice seeping through.

"I'm not going to judge you." He said softly. "He said you needed someone to talk to it about, and everyone knows I'm that someone."

"I don't want to be a pansy, do you know how much shit I would go through if my brothers were to find out about how I'm acting?" I ran a hand through my hair.

"It's stays between us, me to you." He promised.

I swallowed and slumped my shoulders, trudging back over to him. He smiled at me and slung his arm around my shoulder.

"Now why don't you tell Ole' Jared what's on your mind." He joked.

"As long as you don't talk like that again." I laughed, looking at him oddly.

"Okay." He nodded.

I sucked in a deep breath as all of my thoughts began rushing forward. As all of my emotions began swimming beneath my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
:O
This one of those rare moments I write
a down to earth chapter.

Hope you like it!
<3