Concrete Castle

I Am Certain I've Become Bruised, Broken, and Numb

-John-

I followed her out into the living room, I needed to explain everything that I felt for her now. She was in the kitchen, slamming things around and banging the cupboards closed. This was just her trying not to explode, I had seen it once before when she failed a math test.

“D-Devon?” I said, standing in the doorway.

“Don't....don't talk to me, John.” She seethed, voice shaky from anger.

“Please, Daisy--” That seemed to set her off.

“Why did I even trust you in the beginning?” She seemed to explode, “You're...you're you. I should have expected something as low, disgusting, and just...” She couldn't seem to find the right word. All the while, she wouldn't look at me.

I think that hurt the worst.

“You—my first instinct was right! My head told me not to trust you, every bone in my body told me not to trust you. But, you dressed up your words, said things that...that made me trust you, made me think that falling in love with you wasn't such a bad thing! And I'm so stupid!” She shouted.

Wait...did she just say she loved me?

“Not...not everything I told you was a lie...” I tried, though I knew it was futile.

“Then what was the truth?” She demanded.

My mind went blank.

“So...” Her voice trembled almost to the point where I had to strain to understand. She cleared her throat, resetting her voice, “Nothing you ever said to me was the truth. Everything you said was a lie.”

“Devon--”

“How much was the bet for?”

“What?” I choked up.

“What did you get?”

Before I could answer, Baylee walked in, saving me.

Or at least, I thought so.

“And you!” Devon screamed, turning on Baylee, “You were supposed to be my friend. All my life, you were the one who stuck with me and I completely trusted you!”

“What?”

“I'm just a stupid play thing to both of you! Did you think you'd get some sort of enjoyment from seeing me suffer like this?” Devon screeched, completely losing it.

“Dev, wait--”

“How much was the bet worth?” She asked, turning back to me.

“Devon, the money doesn't mean a--”

How much?” Could she sound anymore threatening?

“Fifty dollars.” I admitted, “But it doesn't mean a thing to me, Devon.”

“But apparently, I'm only worth fifty dollars.” She said, reverting to a deadly calm.

“That's not it, Devon, I lov—”

“Would you have 'loved' me if this bet wasn't made?” She asked, still calm. “Would you even have talked to me like a normal person?”

I couldn't answer because I wouldn't have. She took my silence for what it was and started towards the door, “Both of you can go to hell.” Her voice shook once again. “Oh, and I hope you get a little extra for sleeping with me, John.” She glared, “And then I hope you choke on it.” Her words were finalized by the harsh slam of the door and Baylee's gasp.

A moment went by when I couldn't move, it really hurt too much. When I snapped out of it, I ran after her, and she was already halfway down the sidewalk to her car. “Devon, wait!” I took hold of her wrist, causing her to face me.

Tears were rolling down her face.

Everything I was going to say to her flew out of my head, and I just stared at her with my mouth open. Devon, who was always strong and never cried, had tears rolling down her cheeks.

I did this to her.

She sucked in a breath, puffing out her chest to seem dignified. “Not all men may turn out like my father, but they are all assholes.” She wretched her wrist from my hand and turned away, getting into her car and driving away.

As soon as her car faded from my sight, I sunk down against the brick wall, head in my hands.

-Devon-

I cursed at John, Baylee, and Kennedy the whole ride to Garrett's house. I didn't know who else to go to, because usually I would go to Baylee about things like this, or just keep it inside. But, as I cried so hard I could barely see the road, I know I wanted to talk to someone about this.

This hurt so bad I couldn't keep it inside.

I'm not sure Garrett was the right choice, though...Sure, he knew everything that had happened, but he also warned my about John. Not that I thought he would say 'I told you so' and Lord it over me...but...I obviously couldn't go to John or Kennedy or Baylee. I didn't know where Jared lived, and Pat was too far away to get to, since I'm pretty sure it was a miracle I didn't crash only going to Garrett's house.

I yanked the keys from the engine, going to Garrett's door, hoping he was at his parents house and not someplace else. “Devon?” Garrett asked, confused as he opened the door, groggy eyed after my third time of desperate knocking.

Right, it's Saturday, he sleeps until like noon on Saturdays...

Recognition washed over his face as he understood what was happening. “He told you, didn't he?”

I nodded, feeling pitiful as he saw me crying. John did, might as well let everyone else know. I blubbered out an apology for coming over so early and waking him up. He pulled me gently inside. Following him, we made it back up to his room with no major injuries, though I did stumble a little. “Geez, I've never seen you so undone, Dev.” Garrett said gently.

“It's...it's just...” I stuttered out, trying to catch my breath, “I told myself John wasn't any good for me, but I disregarded it once I figured out that he can be a good guy. And, just when I fall in love, I find out that it didn't mean a thing to him.” I sobbed into his pillows.

Garrett rubbed my back comfortingly and cursed softly, “I'm sorry, Devon, I should have told you when I first found out.”

“How long did you know?” I sniffled.

“Since the camping trip...” He said carefully.

At this point, I was too numb to feel the next betrayal rip through my chest. He knew that long... “Did everyone else know?”

“Yeah...I'm pretty sure.”

All right, I'm convinced I have no friends left.

“What's the point in love? I loved my dad, he killed my mother, who I also loved, and then tried to kill me...I love Baylee like a sister, and she's done this...I love John and he just wanted the fifty bucks.” I wondered into Garrett's bedding. “If all love gives you is pain, then what's the point?”

Garrett contemplated, and once I was sure he wasn't going to answer, he sighed, “ Dev...you will find someone to love who won't hurt you. All this pain...it's going to stop and when it does, loving someone will be twice as good because...”

“Because what?” I asked as he trailed off.

“Devon...will you look at me?” He asked. I turned my head from the pillows and looked into his bright blue eyes. “Don't you think that...if someone can cause all these wounds to another person...it's possible there is someone out there who can heal them?”

I scoffed, “I don't know what to believe anymore, Garrett.”

Garrett looked down at me, a sad smile on his face. He gently brushed hair away from my face. “I'm really sorry, Devon. God, I regret it so much that I didn't tell you. I don't even know why I didn't...but...John's my friend too, no matter how pissed at him I am right now.” He comforted. “Why don't you get some sleep here. You can stay as long as you want.”

I sat up, feeling exhausted, betrayed, hurt, and torn. “Ca-can you go get my stuff from my room at Baylee's apartment? I don't want to go back. My laptop is in my car, I think, I can start searching for apartments...or something.”

“Are you sure you want that, Devon?” Garrett asked, watching me closely as I started towards his bedroom door. “It's pretty rash to just move out...”

I nodded, “So far, I've only been living on the scholarships and grants I received as well as my job. If necessary, I can open my trust fund and get loans. I can make it on my own.” I said cheerily, though Garrett saw through how fake it was, I'm sure.

I didn't want to open that trust fund because it meant accepting help from my father, since he is the one who set it up when I was born, in a way. I hated the idea, but I hated the idea of being close to Baylee, Kennedy, and John worse.

Isn't that so messed up? I couldn't trust anyone I knew anymore, not even really Garrett.

“If you're sure...” Garrett shrugged, following me downstairs.

-Garrett-

Though I contained myself around Devon, I was ready to beat the crap out of John. Of all the low, underhanded things to do.

But I guess I was just as bad for not stopping it. We were all to blame and I would completely understand if Devon didn't speak to any of us anymore.

Using the key Devon handed to me, I entered the apartment. “Devon!” John exclaimed, but his face fell when he saw it was only me.

“Fat chance, fucktard, you screwed it up too bad.” I said coldly.

“God, don't start this again, Garrett, I know already.” John sighed, sinking back down to the couch. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Getting Devon's stuff.”

“W-what?” He choked, looking miserable. Good, he deserves it.

“Do you really think she'd stay here? God, you're more dense than I thought. You guys broke her heart. The person who has known her the longest, and the one person she loved.” I felt very frustrated, and John looked shocked.

“Did she say she loved me?”

“Yeah, she did, John. And you know what, with everything that has happened, she probably won't love anyone like that again. How could you even--?” But, I couldn't put it into words, I was so angry and frustrated it took all my strength just to keep from punching him in the face.

“I really didn't think that...” John began, a tremble to his voice, “She could ever love me, or that I could ever love her. It was just a stupid game at the beginning. I-I didn't know what to do once I did start to feel something for her. Because I—I didn't want to lose her.” John looked up after he finished talking, and I was surprised to see there were tears on his face.

Like Devon, I hadn't ever seen John cry. Not about anything serious, anyway, and I felt a small pang in my chest. It was sad, seeing these two people, ones I cared about a lot, hurting. But, I could only say it is all John's fault.

I felt more sorry for Devon, she did nothing to deserve this.

“Gar?” Baylee came from her room, looking a mess with red and puffy eyes. “Is Devon at your house? Is she okay?”

“Of course she's not okay!” I exclaimed, “You guys are sick and twisted, I can't even imagine what would possess you to think this was a good idea! Did you think it really wouldn't hurt her, that she would feel no pain after finally, finally letting someone into her heart? So what if she was uncaring about relationships before, but at least she was happy!”

“You call that happy, Garrett?” Baylee started in, “She was working herself to death and she never had any fun!”

“She was working towards something she really wanted to do! And who ever said she didn't have fun? She smiled, she laughed, she was normal! Now...” I took a deep breathe, pinching the bridge of my nose to try and make the black dots spotting my vision go away. “Now, she's going to be miserable for a while, and probably won't be able to let anyone else that close again. She was already hurt by her father, and on a whim, she let John in. Only to be destroyed once more. By two people she had loved.”

“I never meant to hurt her.” Baylee's tears started up again.

“Well, Baylee.” I said, going to Devon's room, “You did.” I closed the door in her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's it.
It's finished.

Like...three weeks after I said it would be!
I said I'd have it out the week after I last posted, and then all this crap started popping up.
It sucked!
But, point it, it's out now, and I'm going to get started on the sequel as soon as possible.

I will probably fly from the seat of my pants for a while on that one until I figure out a strong plot line.
Warning! The sequel MIGHT not end the way you probably all want it to.
Sorry. :)

In other news, you guys rock and thank you all for commenting.
Honestly, you guys are pretty much the only reason why I even write stories on here.
You give me motivation.
So, keep on being awesome (Like it will be hard, right?) and keep watch for the sequel.
You can look at the story page, by the way, for 'My Castles Are Falling'...
You know, if you want. :)

Peace.Love.Johno. ;)
Sara Michelle