Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Two

Sam soon came out of the hospital with more tanned muscle men and also an older man in a wheelchair. He introduced me to them. I now know Paul, Embry, Jared, Emily, and Billy.
Paul, Embry, and Jared were muscles like all the rest and they all were tanned and very loud. Each were excited to meet me and Paul kept smirking at me and commenting on my body. Sam kept smacking Paul every time.
Emily was a lovely soul, I could see that. Her face was permanently scarred on the right side of her face. Three thick lines were scarred on her face from her hairline to her chin. They were red and bright, though it was obvious that it was long ago healed. I knew she could never smile on that side. Her left side was also frowning, but I knew she smiled a lot. She’s a caring woman and I smiled brightly at her, not even noticing the scars really.
Billy Black was crippled from an accident and in a wheelchair. I learned that he is the father of Jacob. Billy had an ancient look to him, but his strength looked large and his voice strong. I smiled every time he spoke.
“It’s nice to meet you all,” I said honestly, my purple eyes gleaming. It felt nice to have such company around me.
Then again, it was slightly uncomfortable to have Billy Black next to me because I kept tripping every so often since I felt his legs. It wasn’t a big deal, though, really.
“I’m going to bring Billi back home, want to come, reaper?” Sam asked, looking at me.
“Reaper probably has a name,” said Paul, folding his arms and smirking.
Yep, I was introduced as the reaper, which I didn’t mind at all.
They all looked at me, waiting for me to tell my name. I suddenly felt nervous from all the stares.
It’s just my name, for goodness sake.
“I’m Peri,” I murmured softly, looking down.
“Peri, I like it,” said Paul, grinning.
“Just like Perry the Platypus,” mused Embry.
I shrugged, not know what that was.
Sam smiled, “Alright Peri, want to come along?”
I nodded, smiling back and waving goodbye to Emily, Paul, Jared, and Embry. Sam gave Emily a quick, but passionate kiss and we started walking off towards Billy Black’s home.
Sam opened the door and pushed Billy inside. I followed them awkwardly and saw Jacob startled awake, looking around with his eyes alert.
“Sorry,” Billy grunted. “Did we wake you?”
My eyes landed on Bella, I felt her pain as tears entered her eyes.
“Oh, no, Billy!” she moaned.
He nodded slowly, his expression hard with grief. Jacob got up to hold his father’s hand, feeling his sorrow.
I didn’t like being here with all the grief and pain swirling around the small home, it hurt me deeply.
“I’m so sorry,” Bella whispered.
Billy nodded, “It’s gonna be hard all around.”
“Where’s Charlie?”
“Your dad is still at the hospital with Sue. There are a lot of… Arrangements to be made.”
Everyone was silent as they all glanced at each other, then all eyes were on me suddenly.
I looked away, uncomfortable with their looks.
“Couldn’t you have saved him?” whispered Jacob, staring hard at me.
Shock filled my features at his venomous tone, as if it was my entire fault Harry was dead.
“Jacob, she couldn’t do anything… Not right after saving Bella,” reminded Sam, sternly looking at him. “I’d better get back there,” he then said, hastily walking out the door.
Billy then moved away from Jacob and rolled himself towards his own room. I just stood there awkwardly as Jacob sat on the floor besides Bella.
I didn’t know what to do, but I tried blending in with the wall.
Jacob placed his face in his hands, sighing out as Bella rubbed his shoulder trying to comfort him. He caught her hand and held it to his face.
“How are you feeling? Are you okay? I probably should have taken you to a doctor or something.” He sighed again.
After I healed her? Does he not understand my abilities?
I felt hurt that he thought Bella was still wounded after what I’ve done. I did something not many people got to see and he should be grateful!
“Don’t worry about me,” replied Bella.
“You don’t look so good.” Jacob gazed at Bella’s face, his eyes rimmed with red.
“I don’t feel so good, either, I guess.”
Lies, she’s perfectly fine… Physically. Emotionally, they were both grieving for the loss of Harry… Also for each other in a way.
“I’ll go get your truck and then take you home… You probably ought to be there when Charlie gets back.”
“Right.”
Jacob finally looked at me and signaled me to come. I followed him out and Bella sat on the sofa, waiting.
“Why couldn’t you save Harry?” asked Jacob quietly.
Is he still blaming me?
“Look here Jacob Black; I couldn’t save him after I used my energy up on Bella. You should be thankful that I saved her. Without me, she would be dead. I know between a choice of Harry or Bella, you would pick Bella. You have no right to hold me responsible of the death of Harry. Without me, Jacob Black, they would both be dead,” I hissed, glaring at him.
Jacob stood there shocked at my tone and my answer. He sighed, ran his fingers through his short hair, and said, “I’m sorry, I’m just… I almost lost her and now we all lost Harry. Seth and Leah are going to be so upset… Too much stress I guess.”
I wanted to forgive him, but I suddenly didn’t want to accept his apology. A side of me was starting to like Jacob, but another was telling me he was a jerk.
“Don’t you have to take Bella home?” I spat.
Jacob frowned, “Yeah, thanks. Would you mind coming?” he asked, his eyes softening as he looked into mine.
I saw the same shock, the same surprise in his eyes like before as he looked at my eyes.
He suddenly looked confused, vulnerable, and child-like as he kept on staring at me.
“Jacob Black?” I asked.
The boy snapped out of it and suddenly looked angry, a scowl on his face, “You haven’t answered my question.”
I cocked my head to the left, “Yeah, sure… Will Bella mind if I hang in the trunk?”
He shrugged and entered the car, turning it on.
I almost shrieked at how it roared to life; it was freakin’ loud. I hopped in the back and saw Jacob walk back into his house. He came back out with Bella under his arm.
Bella didn’t question me being in her trunk, but entered the passenger side without saying a word where as Jacob drove.
I lay back as the truck moved forward and blew cold air in the night.
The feelings in the truck were confusion mostly. I knew they were both thinking hard during the drive. Bella especially, as I looked at her thoughtful gaze.
The drive seemed short as it stopped in front of a dark house. The engine stopping and suddenly I felt uncomfortable in the silence.
I watched as Jacob crushed Bella into a hug, his face in her hair.
“Sorry. I know you don’t feel exactly the way I do, Bells. I swear I don’t mind. I’m just so glad you’re okay that I could sing… And that’s something no one wants to hear.” Jacob laughed.
I smiled, Jacob was so much happier around Bella. His anger wasn’t around when she was with him.
They sat there, his arms around her and Bella relaxing into his chest. Suddenly she froze and Jacob released her, reaching for the door.
I saw Bella shiver as the cold air entered the truck.
“OH!” Jacob gasped as if he’s been punched, “Holy crap!”
He slammed the door shut and I stood up in the back looking confused. I tried sensing around and found something dead… But alive with feelings.
A vampire, a shifter’s worst enemy.
I see now, Jacob smelt the vampire and wants to protect Bella from the creature that didn’t even pose any harm.
Actually, the vampire inside the house was worried and had good intentions, but it was also hungry.
I crouched down and looked through the back window, seeing Jacob shaking, trying to control himself.
“What’s wrong?” Bella asked.
He suddenly revved the engine, but it only sputtered and died.
“Vampire,” he spat, disgust in his angry tone.
“How do you know?”
He smelt it, duh. Doesn’t Bella know anything?
“Because I can smell it! Dammit!”
Atta boy, tell her.
“Phase or get her out of here?” he asked himself, his eyebrows furrowing over his eyes as he thought hard.
“Right. Get you out,” stated Jacob as he looked at Bella’s pale face.
Suddenly the truck roared to life and turned abruptly. I jumped out, knowing there was no harm being near the vampire, but I could get hurt on that truck with a wild Jacob driving.
“Stop!” Bella shouted.
I looked at her, watching as she was staring at a black car, a Mercedes S55 AMG.
“Stop!” she repeated, crying out louder.
“What!?” Jacob roared.
“It’s not Victoria. Stop, stop! I want to go back.”
I could barely hear her voice since they were driving away as fast as the old truck could take them.
Victoria must be the name of the red head vampire I had cursed.
I heard the brake being stomped on and the truck stop hard. I watched them closely, observing as he said, “What?” again.
“It’s Carlisle’s car! It’s the Cullens. I know it.”
As she said that, Jacob started to shake violently. He must really had vampires or the Cullens specifically, whoever they are.
“Hey, calm down, Jake. It’s okay. No danger, see? Relax.” Bella said calmly. I could tell she really wanted to get out of that truck. She was doing a horrible job of calming down Jacob.
“Yeah, calm,” he grunted, suddenly out of my view.
“There’s a vampire in your house and you want to go back?” growled Jacob.
I almost laughed at the scene, then looked at Bella’s house. I still sensed the vampire, waiting anxiously for something, anything.
“Of course,” Bella said, surprised.
Why is she surprised? Does she not understand the shifters? Then again, does Jacob not understand Bella?
“You’re sure it’s not a trick?” he asked quietly.
“It’s not a trick. It’s Carlisle. Take me back!”
“No,” Jacob said coldly.
“Jake, it’s okay…”
“No. Take yourself back, Bella.”
I felt the pain in both of them. Jacob was upset she wanted to see the vampire and not stay with him. He definitely has a huge grudge against them. Bella was hurt by what Jacob was saying. It was just like a drama show on TV.
“Look, Bella. I can’t go back. Treaty or not treaty, that’s my enemy in there,” he said, his tone hard and uncaring.
“It’s not like that…”
“I have to tell Sam right away. This changes things. We can’t be caught on their territory.”
“Jake, it’s not a war!”
It actually is, my dearest Bella. I folded my arms and continued to study.
Jacob jumped out of the car, leaving the door open as he called over his shoulder saying, “Bye, Bella. I really hope you don’t die.” He then sprinted away.
Bella sat there, still with shock and hurt. She inhaled deeply then slid to the drivers seat and finally drove towards her house again.
I came to her side and she looked up at me, hurt in her eyes.
“Go on,” I whispered.
Bella hesitated, looking away and thinking again.
“There’s no danger,” I reassured, “I’ll come with you if you like? I’m sort of the wanderer here.”
She nodded and walked into her house, her hands shaking as she leaned against the wall.
The lights flickered on and she almost jumped at it. She was blinking, her eyes adjusting to the light.
I saw her already, even in the dark and saw the vampire. She was short with short spiky black hair. Her topaz eyes were dark with thirst and her pixie face shocked as she took in Bella’s figure. She wore designers’ clothes that looked nice on her. I suddenly felt out of place with my torn jeans and black T-shirt.
I looked back at her eyes, golden, but dark. She’s a vegetarian; sucking blood off of animals instead of humans. No wonder I didn’t sense any danger.
As Bella saw the vampire, she tackled her, “Alice, oh, Alice!”
“Bella?” Alice said, confusion and relief clear in her musical voice.
I faded with the wall, again watching the scene.
Bella locked her arms around the small figure, inhaling the vampire. It was a strange sight, but I guess Alice does smell good as all vampires does to me. Bella must really miss her.
Bella started sobbing against Alice and the vampire dragged her on the couch and started rocking the crying girl in her lap.
I clutched my heart, sighing out as I felt the happiness and relief inside, but also felt sadness and alarm. I couldn’t tell which was who’s because the feelings blended together.
“I’m… Sorry. I’m just… So happy… To see you!” Bella cried.
“It’s okay, Bella. Everything’s okay,” replied Alice, rubbing the girl’s back.
“Yes,” Bella sobbed.
I smiled at the sweet scene. I’m glad this reunion has come.
“I’d forgotten how exuberant you are,” Alice said disapprovingly.
Bella? Exuberant? I can’t picture her in that manner, actually. It doesn’t seem her type.
“Oh,” she gasped, “Sorry.”
I was confused, but looked at where Bella was looking at; it was Alice’s eyes.
Ah, she’s thirsty, like I said, and Bella isn’t helping.
“It’s my own fault. It’s been too long since I hunted. I shouldn’t let myself get so thirsty. But I was in a hurry today,” Alice explained, then glared hard at Bella, “Speaking of which, would you like to explain to me how you’re alive?”
Oops, was she meant to be dead?
“You saw me fall,” Bella said softly.
“No, I saw you jump,” Alice said, narrowing her eyes.
Bella was committing suicide. I almost growled, I didn’t sense that at all. I would have never saved her if she was trying to kill herself.
“I told him this would happen, but he didn’t believe me. ‘Bella promised,’” Alice sighed, shaking her head. “’Don’t be looking for her future, either. We’ve done enough damage.’
“But just because I’m not looking, doesn’t mean I don’t see. I wasn’t keeping tabs on you, I swear, Bella. It’s just that I’m already attuned to you… When I saw you jumping, I didn’t think, I just got on a plane. I knew I would be too late, but I couldn’t do nothing. And then I get here, thinking maybe I could help Charlie somehow, and you drive up.”
She shook her head, her tone strained with confusion, “I saw you go into the water and I waited and waited for you to come up, but you didn’t. What happened? And how could you do that to Charlie? Did you stop to think what this would do to him? And my brother? Do you have any idea what Edward…”
Bella cut off Alice, pain in her eyes.
“Alice, I wasn’t committing suicide.”
“Are you saying you didn’t jump off a cliff?” Alice said suspiciously.
“No, but… It was for recreational purposes only.”
I knew she was lying, just making up an excuse, I could feel it.
Alice saw it too, her expression hardening.
“I’d seen some of Jacob’s friends cliff diving. It looked like… Fun, and I was bored…”
She paused for a short time then sighed and continued.
“I didn’t think about how the storm would affect the currents. Actually, I didn’t think about the water much at all.”
I knew none of us bought the story, and even Bella knew it was a lame one.
I cleared my throat, leaving the wall and walking towards the two.
“I’m sorry to interrupt, but if you may excuse me, I shall be leaving. I see Alice can protect you Bella and if there’s any trouble… Just holler, I’ll hear,” I said, offering a smile.
Alice looked shock to see me, just realizing I was there.
The good thing about being a reaper is that I can blend in with my surroundings, make it like I’m not there but actually watching. It’s very useful.
“Oh, hi. I’m Alice,” the pixie girl said, holding her hand out.
I shook it, smiling, “I heard,” I said, shaking her hand. Her hand was freezing, but my skin was also cold at the moment so it didn’t faze me.
If I use up energy, I get cold; when I’m actually full of energy, like before I healed Bella, I’m hot.
“I’m Peri, or also known as the reaper,” I said, grinning, “I see you and Bella are close?”
Alice nodded, “Yes, we are… A reaper? Really?”
“Yep, at your service, vampire,” I answered, bowing.
“Original employer a vampire?”
“Yep, finally let me free last month… Getting off hand here. Bella needs you and I’m going to go check up on Jacob,” I said, nodding and slowly leaving.
“Nice to meet you Peri,” said Alice, then turning to Bella to interrogate her more.
The last sentence I heard was from Bella, “So if you saw me go in, why didn’t you see Jacob?”
Ah, I’m going to miss a good conversation.
You must not understand what Alice and I were talking about when she said, ‘Original employer a vampire?’
It’s pretty much explaining how we reapers can get slaved. We can be connected to a pendant, necklace, or ring and we are suddenly under the control of the owner. We do their biddings no matter how ridiculous; of course they can’t ask for us to make someone die or call upon Death.
My last owner was at least a nice vampire, his name was William and he loved to take long walks and took me with him. We were more like best friends than anything, but he just needed a reaper for extra help and protection which I didn’t mind… It’s not like I could do something in the first place if I did.
I walked out of the house and started running, remembering the trail towards Jacob’s house.
I wanted to talk to that boy again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to thank kyumi2 and EarthParadise082397.
You two made me wanted to post another chapter up. Thanks for the comments. (: