Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Unexpected Occurrence

“If you can complete the triple toe loop without hurting yourself, you can rest tomorrow. You’ve been working hard, Vanna, but we need to start seeing results. The media is getting impatient with the lack of information. We need to feed them your timetable soon.”
I nodded at Traci and took a deep breath. I still haven’t done any of my hard tricks yet, due to my slow-healing knee. Of course, re-hurting it at the bar brawl didn’t help. But I’m a champion figure skater. The media needs information like every other type of sport. “Yes ma’am.”
I did a small warm-up lap around the ice before preparing for my triple toe loop. It involved both taking off and landing on my right leg- which is my injured knee.
With a deep breath, I picked up speed and did a few warm-up circled before pushing off and leaping into the air, spinning elegantly before contacting the ice once again. I faltered only slightly on my landing, but, nonetheless, a smile appeared on my lips as Traci clapped.
“Well done! For not doing it in a while, you looked amazing. Almost at your prime. There’s a reason you’re Canada’s best.”
“Thanks, Trac,” I said with a smile as I made my way to the bench.
Traci skated up in front of me with a smile. “Good job. Rest tomorrow and we’ll push it more next time.”
“Ok.”
“What are your sleeping arrangements?” she asked curiously.
I looked up at her, eyebrow cocked.
She smiled warmly, her brown eyes like melted chocolate. “The Blackhawks are on a road trip and I know all about your situation with your ex.”
“Oh,” I said stupidly, blushing slightly. “Well, my cousin’s girlfriend is in town. She’s, essentially, babysitting me.” The both of us laughed.
Traci stood up after removing her skates. “See you later then, Vanna. Call me if you need anything. You know I’m always here for you.”
“Thank you.”
Traci winked and turned to walk away. I watched as her brown waves fell out of her bun before she left my sight.
I sneezed and finished removing my skates. I grinned slightly as I eyed my Blackhawk inspired skate laces from my mysterious gift giver on Christmas. I still never figured out who it was, although some of the Hawks know but refuse to tell me. So I know it was one of their teammates. Stupid boys, always protecting each other.
I slipped into my boots, preparing to face the brutal Chicago cold. It’s one o’clock in the afternoon and the high is a whomping nineteen. I despise the cold. Just throwing it out there.
With a heaving sigh, I pulled myself to my feet, tying the laces of my skates together, and headed towards The Edge’s exit.
“You look good out there, Anna.”
My whole body tensed as I whipped around to stare at Daniel’s handsome face. My eyes were so cold that I could practically hear glass cracking. “Get the hell away from me,” I snarled viciously. And he even has the audacity to flinch away from me.
“Come now, Vanna, love. No need to hate on me.”
“In fact I do, dear Daniel,” I replied, my tone perfectly matching his in a mocking way. I took great pride in the way his smooth lips turned down ever so slightly. No one would have noticed, but I, who was almost raped by this asshole, notices every single thing.
Despite the slight frown, his voice was light. But I knew it was a ploy. He did it so many times before. “Come now, sweetheart. You have no boys around you to keep me from you right now. So just hear me out.”
“Shut the fuck up!” I yelled, gaining some attention from the people around the rink. “I don’t ever want to speak to your ugly ass face ever again, asshole. Get the fucking picture and leave me alone. You almost ruined my life. Get out of here!”
Daniel’s eyes went cold, and I snickered in victory. “Vanna,” he said in a warning tone. “We’re in public. Don’t do this.”
“Do what, Daniel? Something I should have done before anything went down between us?” I growled. He flinched. This time, it was real, but that only fed me some more. “Stay away from me. I have twenty-plus men who willingly put themselves in front of me. You’re already on their list, so you’re already screwed. And I’m not alone like you think I am. Remember that commotion you witnessed a few weeks back at a local bar? Well, one of the Hawks is still on the injured list right now. Sure, he’ll be back soon, but he’s still here. In Chicago. Ready to kick your sorry ass to Africa.”
Daniel shifted nervously, and I licked my lips enthusiastically as he looked around as if expecting to see one of my boys to pop out of nowhere. “Whatever,” he growled finally. “We will talk, Vanna.” Our eyes met, the anger, literally, sparking between us. “And I promise that you’ll regret leaving me.” And with that, he left.
I took a few seconds to calm my hammer heart and uneven breathing before booking it outside to where my car awaited me. Once I was in the safety of my Audi, (Steeger has a thing for Audi’s), I pulled my cell out of my purse and dialed as tears slipped from my eyes.
“What’s up, buttercup?” Steeger’s warm voice answered.
“Stay with me,” I sobbed, my head on the steering wheel.
The playful tone immediately left his voice. “Vanna? What’s wrong? Are you ok?”
“Daniel,” I choked out, only to end up sobbing some more. I couldn’t get anything else out.
“Isn’t Brandy visiting?”
“Yes.”
“You still want me?”
“Please,” I begged as I sniffed. I didn’t want to be alone with just Brandy. She’s amazing and all, but she’s an eye doctor. She isn’t all that threatening, and since Steeger is still recovering from his bruised, (and turns out one sprained), ribs, I wanted him close. Now that I know for sure Daniel knows I’m here, and the fact he wants revenge as our conversation today revealed, I wanted him near me. I wanted anyone near me.
“Ok, Vanna. Just calm down, ok? I’ll be at the apartment in about forty-five minutes. Take a deep breath, V. Everything’s going to be ok honey.”
I nodded even though he couldn’t see me, and tried to take a deep breath. It was hard to do considering how badly I’ve been trying, but I eventually was able to calm down enough to drive home after some coaxing from Steeger.
Once I got to the apartment, I hugged Brandy tightly. She was startled, but knew something was wrong. Especially when I put my phone on speaker phone and called my cousin.
I told them both what happened, and that Verbeauty was coming to stay with Brandy. Andrew was far from happy about this, and I could sense the tension from his voice. “Just stay safe, ok, V? I love you both.”
“I love you too,” Brandy and I said together before I ended the call. I knew Andrew would tell his other teammates, and I was perfectly fine with that.
Steeger arrived not long after I hung up with my cousin, and again, I told him what happened. I started crying again, tears of fear, and he hugged me close. He’s such a good kid, Verbeauty is. I don’t think people really realize that.
“Everything will be ok, Vanna. We won’t let anything happen to you. He can’t hurt you. Especially not with us around.”
I smiled slightly and nodded, unhiding my face from his chest as Brandy brought us dinner, which consisted of pizza and strawberries.
“Thanks,” I said before stuffing my mouth with a strawberry.
“Anything to help,” he replied, winking as he grabbed a piece of the pizza.
Brady sat in the chair next to us, and I looked into Steeger’s bright blue eyes. “Anything?” I asked, forming a V-evil plan.
“Anything.” He’s so naive. I love him.
“Then tell me about Rhyne. Like how you met her and your feelings for her. That’ll make me feel better.”
He glanced down at me, but, for once, he didn’t tense or shut me out. He smiled loosely. “Alright. Just this once and only because you’re feeling down.”
“Frightened, but that works too.”
Steeger chuckled and sipped his Mountain Dew before starting his story. Brandy and I listened intently, smiling and laughing along with him as he spoke. He’s a beautiful story teller. He brings you in with his tone right when he needs to, and takes us through the journey with him.
And it was exactly what I needed to calm me down.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for how long it has been since I updated. I've been so busy. I hope you guys still enjoy the story though. And let's wish that Hawks good luck in the Playoffs, because they severely need it. (Good luck to the Penguins too since they're my first team (:)