Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

My Welcome Committee

I filed out of the plane after just landing in Chicago’s O’Hare airport, and I threw my arms open. “Hello, Chicago!” I yelled, gaining a couple looks from the people around me. I just smiled sheepishly as I picked up my carry-on that I ended up dropping in my welcoming of myself to Chicago.
I turned on my phone, and within five second, not even enough time for me to leave the gate area, my phone rang. I sighed and answered it. “Seriously, mom? Were you watching the flight online or something.”
“Maybe.”
“Mom!” I whined. “I’m twenty-two! I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself.”
“You’re my only baby, Vanna!” my mother scolded. “This is the first time I won’t be with you for training and competitions and... everything!”
“I have Andrew, mom. He’ll take care of me!”
“Is he there? Has be picked you up?”
“I just landed and just turned on my phone! I’m sure he is, mom! Jesus, I can do this.”
My mom sighed. “Ok. I love you, V-bean. Take care, ok? And tell Andrew I saw hi.”
“I will. Love you too. Bye mom.”
I didn’t even give her a chance to reply, or else I’d never get away from her. Plus, I was reaching the baggage claim, which is where my cousin said he’d meet me.
I make my way down, excitement floating through me. I haven’t seen Andrew since the summer when he came home. It’s November now, and I missed him a ton.
I looked around, trying to see his tall frame. I knew I’d be looking for a man in a beanie (he loves his beanies), but I couldn’t find anyone in a beanie. Jeez, I thought, Americans don’t know what they’re missing if they don’t wear beanies!
I decided just to go grab my bag off the baggage claim. I’m the type of person who has the giant, insanely designed bags to I can spot them right away. And my newest piece of luggage is definitely insane. I can’t wait for Andrew to make fun of me because of it. It’s a mass of purples, blues, and pinks all in swirls that make my eyes hurt every time I stare at it.
I love it!
I even laughed a tiny bit when I saw it coming around, and I quickly rushed forward to grab my insanely disgusting looking bag. I love the way my eyes want to pop out of my head when I see it.
Yeah, I am totally insane.
I grabbed my bag and looked around, still not seeing my cousin. I pouted because my plane was even a tad bit late. I checked my phone, and no new messages.
I sighed and was about to sit down at one of the benches when I hear a familiar voice. “MINI LADD!”
I whirled around and saw the short, blonde kid known as Kris Versteeg rushing towards me, panting. I squealed and dropped my bags once again and rushed towards him. “STEEGER!”
I jumped in his arms and he laughed as he hugged me. The people around us were all staring, but neither of us cared. This boy is like another cousin to be, since him and Andrew are pretty much brothers. “I’m so happy you’re moving here!”
I laughed and jumped down from his arms, patting his head. I’m only three inches shorter than him, which made me happy. I always hated being so much smaller than hockey players. “I am too!” I grinned and we bumped fists. “So, where is my cousin anyways?” I asked, clearly confused.
“Parking the car!” Kristopher said in a sing-song voice as he began to pick up my carry-on bag. “What the hell is that?” he asked, staring at my luggage.
I laughed hard and grabbed the handle. “My bag! What, you don’t like it?” I teased.
“Uh, is this a trick question?”
I laughed hard at the expression on his face. “No! I hate it too, but that’s the point.”
Steeger just looked at me, confused.
I winked. “It’s so hideous because I want to be able to see it without any problems.”
Kris nodded and led me outside. “You’re so weird.”
“But you love me!”
Steeger laughed and hummed to himself while he texted my cousin. Apparently Andrew lost the best on who would come inside to get me and who would be stuck with the car. I laughed pretty hard when blondie told me.
Yeah, Steeger here and I mess around with each other a lot. Same with Troysie. They are the only two teammates of Andrew’s that I meant. Troy cause he is from British Columbia like us, and Steeger cause, well, he invited himself over during the summer. I love them both.
I noticed my cousin’s large vehicle right as it came in view, and I started jumping up and down while waving. I could see him laughing, in, yes, a beanie, and he jumped out of the car barely before he put it in park.
I squealed and ran into his arms, both of us hugging each other tightly. “Andrew!”
“Vanna!”
We both laughed as he kissed my cheek and patted me on my head. “Little cousin, I’m so glad you’re moving it. The place needs a girl’s touch.”
“Yeah, it smells like Ladd.”
I laughed hard and swatted Steeger. “I am a Ladd too!”
“I know, but I meant male Ladd!”
Andrew glared at his linemate before turning back to me. “Welcome to Chicago, cousin. Ready to see you’re new home?” I nodded, but he didn’t allow me to say anything. “Also, there’s someone else in the car. We came straight from practice and I need to drive him home.”
“I’ll sit in back with Seabsy!” Steegs said like a little girl, climbing in the back of Andrew’s car.
I blinked. “He needs a girl.”
I saw Andrew smirk. “He has his eyes on one.”
I gasped and hit Andrew. “No way! Who?”
“This girl that one of the Penguins introduced us to. She’s a cute little thing. She’ll be at the game on Friday, which you will be coming to. So you can meet her.”
I nodded and headed towards the passenger's side. Brent Seabrook was in the car. I never met him, but I heard great things about him from the three Hawks I know. And he has good hair. I like men with good hair.
“Oh, Anna,” Andrew said, putting his hand on my shoulder to stop me from opening the door.
I just looked at him.
“Seabs is a little... off right now. Ok? So don’t take it personally if he doesn’t seem all warm and fuzzy like I’ve made him out to be.”
I shrugged. “Ok.” I got in the vehicle... to Steeger’s rapping.
I turned around and reached back to swat Kris, but he only started laughing and kept rapping. The man beside him, the man I know as Brent Seabrook, looked beyond miserable and ready to kill his teammate. “Good, God, Versteeg! Shut the hell up!”
“I don’t want to!”
“Kristopher Versteeg, if you don’t shut up, I will take your stick out of the back of this vehicle and break it in half against your precious car!”
Steeger squealed and looked horrified. “Not my baby!”
“I mean it!”
“Fine!” the playful blonde pouted.
I glanced at Seabrook, who was staring intently at me. He looked away as my eyes met him, and he mumbled his thanks.
I blinked in surprise. From what I was told, this man was a joy to be around. Playful and fun and, well, good looking. Which he still is even right now.
But at this moment, he seemed cold. I could almost feel hatred pouring off of him, and I’ve been around him for all of five minutes. I turned around and met Andrew’s eyes. The look he gave me reminded me of the warning he gave me.
I felt kind of down by the way Seabrook just blew me off. I was hoping to be liked by everyone on my cousin’s team. But this is not a good start.
Well, my welcome party to Chicago just blew up in my face. All because of Brent Seabrook and whatever put a stick up his ass.
Just so you know, Mr. Seabrook, two can play at that game.
I do not tolerate being stereotyped and judged before you get to know me. You will get a piece of your own medicine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think so far! <3