Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Proof

After a long, long night filled with pain and little sleeping, I did finally end up asleep, only out of pure exhaustion. Andrew stayed with me for most of the night, drifting in and out of sleep himself, until I eventually sent him away. He had to be up in the morning to go to training camp, and pre-season starts soon. He can’t be exhausted.
When I did eventually fall asleep, my dreams were filled with the accident that took place weeks ago. Despite the fact that I’m coming to terms with the fact I’ll never skate again, it pains me. The only reason I’m trying to accept what’s happening is because I know there is no other way. It’s either accept the situation, or die internally.
And I don’t know if you guys know my personality, but I sure as well am not going to go down that easily. I’m stronger than your average bull.
Yes, my analogy is weird. I’m drugged up, what can I say?
I heard Andrew leave in the morning, but quickly fell back into my slumber.
I’m not sure how much time went by, but I slowly started to awaken to a gentle touch on my hair. I twitched a bit as I began to wake up, and realized that I was snuggled into a strong chest instead of my pillow.
As I took in my usual deep breath, the scent of a familiar soft cologne filled my nose. I smiled as the person next to me, still unaware of my conscious state, continued to stroke my hair. The feeling was comforting. Of course, I also love it when people play with my hair. Always have.
I stayed like that for a while, just enjoying the touch of my designated pillow.
Eventually, only due to the throbbing pain in my leg, I opened my eyes and slowly moved my body to stretch out, without moving my leg.
I lifted my chin, my head still pressed against my pillow-person’s chest, and stared into those beautiful hazel eyes that always make me catch my breath.
“‘Morning, sleeping beauty,” Brent Seabrook mumbled, giving away the fact that he has dozed here and there as well.
“If it even still morning?” I asked.
Brent looked towards my clock that was blocked from my view due to his large body. “Nope.” He gave a deep chuckle. “It’s nearly three.”
I blinked and dropped my chin. My neck was starting to hurt, so I just continued to use him as a pillow. “Well, at least I fell asleep eventually.
I could hear the smile in his voice, very aware that he hadn’t stopped stroking my hair. “Very true,” he said. “How’re you feeling?”
“Like my leg is being pounded with a power drill or something.”
“Drills drill, not pound,” Brent said humorously, gaining himself a poke in the side. He jumped and shifted.
I groaned. “Don’t move.”
“Don’t poke me.” The smile in his voice was still there.
“Drugs.”
“What do you say?”
“Please.”
Brent chuckled and reached onto the side table where all of my medication sat, as well as a glass of water. He handed me the pills, which I popped into my mouth, and sipped at the water as he held it up to my lips. “Thanks,” I said to him after I swallowed the over-large pills.
“You’re welcome.” He went back to stroking my hair as I rested back against his chest.
There was a long, comfortable silence, as we just laid like that. I’ve never been so at eased with it just being us. It helped me realize that those fights we had, the brutal arguments that had the Blackhawks at a loss for words, were in the past.
Sure, I’m positive we will continue to bicker. It would be hard not to with our clashing personalities... or, well, my overly stubborn personality. But any argument will never be like they were before. We’ve come to an understanding.
And yet, I still want more.
Steeger’s words ran through my head.
“You’re in love with him.”
“I do not!”
“You do... you want him here with you as you recover.”

He may be childish, but that guy is way more mature then he seems. And he understands more then he probably should.
“Thank you,” I finally said, breaking the silence that surrounded us like a gentle blanket.
Brent paused in stroking my hair. “For what?” he asked, his tone giving away his confusion.
“For being here. For finally just sticking around.”
Brent chuckled, my head rising and falling with his chest. “Well, I had a bit of a talking to that opened my eyes. I’m sorry I avoided you before.”
“I forgive you.”
“Thank you.”
“But why?” I really wanted to know that answer.
Brent took a while in replying, but in the meantime, went back to playing with my hair with his gentle touch. “Because,” he started. “I hate seeing you in pain.” His voice seemed like he was lost in thought, just a bit. “And I was afraid that if I said the wrong thing, or said something stupid, you would become upset. I hate seeing you upset, too, and if you were to be upset and in pain, I might have to put myself in front of a fast puck shot by your cousin again.”
I grinned a bit, remembering his bruised face after taking Andrew’s shot to his face. That was the day he took me to rehab.
“You won’t upset me. I’d rather you be here, talking about absolutely anything, then keeping your distance. Staying away hurts me more than if you were to being up skating.”
Brent took his time in speaking again. “So if I were to mention that you were absolutely stunning and fantastic up until your quad, you wouldn’t hate me for bringing it up?”
“Of course not!” I slowly pushed myself into a sitting position, and turned to face the defenseman, being very careful with my braced/casted leg. “I like being told I looked amazing.” I smirked.
Brent stared at me, a smile creeping onto his lips. “You always look amazing,” he said, his voice becoming a little husky.
I held his gaze, knowing my own was strong. “So, I don’t have to skate again for you to think I’m beautiful?”
“You can’t skate against even if you want to.” I gave him a look, in which he cracked a smile. “But yes Vanna, that’s exactly what I mean. You don’t have to be on ice, enticing a crowd in order to have me under your spell.”
I grinned. I liked the sound of that. And that made me bold. “Alright then. Show me.”
Brent cocked his head to the side, his hair falling into his face from the movement. Then his face reached up and found my cheek. He stroked it gently with his thumb before slowly bending towards me. His lips found mine, and it was just like the first kiss we shared. It was soft and gentle. However, this time, there was no uncertainty in the kiss.
“Oh, my God!” A squeal came from my bedroom door. “Stop kissing my cousin in my house!”
Brent pulled away as I jumped in surprise, and I looked over at my cousin, who was hiding his eyes with his hand. His girlfriend, Brandy, who just arrived for a visit and is in the process of transferring her stuff down from Canada (she’s finally moving in!), stood in front of Andrew and just laughed.
“Ignore him. I just came to say hi and to see how you are doing.”
I love Brandy. She is so sweet and thoughtful.
“She looks pretty a-ok to me,” Andrew said sourly.
I noticed the gentle flush on Brent’s cheeks. He slowly got up from my bed, eyeing my leg, and walked towards the door.
I glared at my cousin. “I was perfectly fine until my annoying cousin stuck his nose in my business.”
Brandy laughed as the two guys left my room, but not without Brent looking back at me and giving me a smile that promised he would be back. “You’re his little cousin. He just wants to look out for you.”
“I’m a big girl, I can handle it.”
“I know that, but he just doesn’t want anything happening.” She winked, which got me to smile. “I’m glad to see you’re feeling ok.”
“Thank you Brandy,” I said earnestly. “I’m in pain most of the time, but it’s less than when it first happened, you know?”
She nodded. “Just get better soon.”
“I will.”
She smiled. “I better go make sure that Andrew isn’t attacking his teammate.”
“Brent can stand up for himself.”
“Good. Cause he will probably have to deal with our Andrew for a while. He’s not going to let his baby cousin, who is practically his sister, go out with a guy without him knowing his boundaries.”
I rolled my eyes. “Typical Andrew.”
Brandy chuckled. “Typical Andrew indeed. Now rest up. I’ll send Brent back in as soon as I can pry him away from Andrew’s grasp.”
“Thank you.”
She nodded with a smile and left my room, closing my door gently behind her.
I settled back into my pillows, staring out my window as I do almost every time I begin to think. I smiled to myself. I may not actually have Brent under a literal spell, but his proof was good enough to me that figure skater or not, he accepts me for who I am.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for your comments! It really makes me want to update as soon as I can. So please, keep telling me what you think! :)