Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

An Unwelcomed Surprised

“Take it one stride at a time, Vanna. Don’t push yourself. We just want to see how well your knee can take to light skating.”
I nodded as I took my skating one slow stride at a time. This is my first time being on the ice since I blew out my knee in October. And it’s the beginning of December now. That’s a horrible long time to be away from the ice.
My knee still was wrapped in it’s brace, but only because my trainer, Traci, wanted to make sure I still have the support while I test it out on the ice.
“Good, Vanna. Take it a little bit more slowly.”
I smiled as I passed my cousin, who was watching patiently on the bench of the arena. We came before the Hawks’ practice so I can get my final touches of rehab on the ice in, and then wait for my cousin as he practice. I felt like it was a good deal.
“Alright, that’s enough for the day,” Traci called out, beckoning me to come in. Once I skated up to her, she made me sit and started massaging my knee in a way that made me cringe in pain, but ultimately, it helped. “How did it feel?”
“Tight, but not really sore.”
She smiled. “That’s a very good sign. We’ll test it a little harder next time. Sound good?”
I nodded. “Thanks Traci.”
“Anytime, Vanna. See you in a couple days. Keep resting your knee though. We want you to be one hundred percent as soon as possible.” And with her last sentence, she left me with my cousin.
“You look good out there,” Andrew stated as he walked over, smiling. “My cousin is a natural.”
I wrinkled my nose as he planted a kiss on my cheek. “Thanks, Andy.”
Andrew gave me a look and I laughed hard. He hates it when I call him Andy. “I’m going to go get ready for practice. You going to wait here?”
“Yeah,” I replied as I started to unlace my skates. “I want to stay off my knee for a little bit to give it time to relax and stop being so tense.”
“Alright, see you in a bit.”
I peeled off my skates and tied the laces together after Andrew left. I stuck my iPod in my ears, but not for long before I had a tap on my shoulder.
I turned around and looked up into the hazel eyes of Brent Seabrook. I ignored the quick thud in my chest as I gave him a quizzical look. “Yes?”
“How’d it go?” he asked, almost as if he cared.
“Ok.”
“Good.”
He walked away and jumped onto the ice.
I put my iPod back in my ears and watched him without really watching him. We’ve come to accept each other, for the most part. Last week was Thanksgiving, and all of the guys without girlfriends or family made it over to our place for dinner. My cooking is pretty damn good.
Anyways, Seabs and I knew we had to behave, and although we started to bicker a couple times, we both just quickly looked away and let ourselves simmer down. So, we pretty much put up with each other.
For the most part.
I tried not to watch him as he skated around and shot a few pucks before everyone else got on the ice. But it was hard not too. He skates like a cat- quiet and strong, as if he is stalking his prey.
And it’s hard for me to deny that I do, sort of, kinda, in a tiny way, have an attraction to him. Those beautiful deep eyes, and his perfect features with the soft, perfect hair. I hate that I feel something towards him. But I do.
Ugh, get a hold of yourself, Vanna! He hates you...
I sighed and tore my eyes away from him, and focused on sending a text to my mom instead.
I passed the time of practice by texting my mom, and by the time Andrew was finished, I was really ready to get out of there. Steeger was laughing at me and my antsyness, and he earned himself a smack in the cheek.
The rest of the guys in the locker room laughed.
Except for Brent Seabrook.
Who wouldn’t stop staring at me.
I licked my lips and left the locker room to wait for Andrew. I shivered as I remembered the way Seabs was staring at me.
Stupid boy! I hate him!
...Or more like I hate the way he makes me feel.
I slapped myself. I couldn’t help it. I needed a bit of a wakeup call.
“Can we go shopping, please?” I dragged out the last word as I whined to Andrew once he came out of the locker room. “I need some girly activity! I’m desperate!”
“Vanna,” my cousin whined, unlocking the car door. “Do we have to?”
I gave him a look as I slid into his car. “I need some retail therapy.”
“What you need is some friends to go shopping with you. I hate shopping. Can’t you call up Carmon or something?”
“Troy said she’s out of town. Back in Canada visiting her family,” I stated matter-of-factly. “Shows how much you pay attention to what your teammate says!”
Andrew moaned. “Do we have to?”
“Yes!”
“Can’t you call Steeger? He’ll go shopping with you!”
I thought about it. “Ok.”
Andrew actually slammed on the brakes to stare at me. “Really? That’s all it took?”
I nodded. “Yup. Better get him on the phone before he reaches the highway and can’t turn around!”
I laughed as I watched my cousin wrestle with his phone to call Steeger. “Yo, Steegs. Care to go shopping with my cousin so I don’t have to?” Pause. “Thank God! I promise to pay for your next meal. Meet us at the apartment.”
A grin appeared on my face as Andrew hung up. “I’m going to tell him to get the most expensive thing on the menu at your next meal.”
I gained myself a mean look, but I only started laughing more.
Steeger was actually waiting for us by the time we pulled up, and I gave Andrew a quick kiss on the cheek before hopping out and switching vehicles. The blonde was grinning from ear to ear as I waved to my cousin as we started towards the mall in a local suburb. “I’m happy you invited me.”
“Well, I needed someone and Andrew is a loser. You’re more fun to shop with anyways.”
Steeger laughed. “Touche, mini Ladd!”
I laughed and Steeger and I made our way into the mall together. I dragged him all over the place, trying on clothes and shoes, and gaining his honest opinion. That’s the thing about shopping with the guy, he actually has good taste.
“No, it doesn’t fit your athletic body shape well. You have curves, that outfit hides them.”
I looked down at the cardigan and flowing peach shirt. “Yeah, you’re right.” I said, smiling. “It’s just hard for me to find shirts that do fit properly. Damn athletic body and big chest. I thought athletes were supposed to have small boobs!”
Steeger laughed. I loved that he’s so comfortable talking about absolutely anything. Like boob sizes. He could care less. Which I don’t understand since he has two brothers and no sisters. But I still love it.
“Try this,” he said, throwing another, pretty peach shirt at me with some ruffles.
I tried it on and grinned happily. “It fits like a dime! And shows off my bust a little too much. But I like it!”
A laugh came from outside the changing room, and when I opened the door and did a catwalk for Steeger, he clapped for me. “Seabs would die if he saw you in that.”
I froze at the name. “What?”
Steeger shrugged, taking my sudden tensity the wrong way. “He likes looking at you. And if he saw you in that, he’d probably have a heart attack. A number of the guys would.”
I nodded. “Uh huh,” was all I could saw as I changed back into my street clothes, once again hiding my C cup chest behind layers of clothes.
I paid for the new clothes and Kris and I started walking out of the store and through the mall. He did most of the talking, and I added in a quip here and there.
We were just about to reach the doors to the mall to leave when a figure stopped just as it ended. I froze in place, feeling the color just drain from my face as my whole body began to shake. I knew that blonde mass of wavy hair and cocky stance.
Kris looked back at me, his blue eyes concerned as he saw my face. “V? Are you ok?”
A smile flashed across the man’s face, giving him an arrogant appearance.
“Daniel,” I whispered, just before the world around me went blank and I rested in Steeger’s arms.