Status: Fini.<3

Green and Gray

And How I Held Her

Image

Like every Tuesday, the L'Amour sisters got together for lunch. But since Winter was on bed rest (much to her disapproval), we all congregated at her and Milo's two-story house on one of the man made lakes in Gilbert. Milo was a first year resident at the local hospital and all of the money Winter brought in from her designs made it easy for the two of them to live comfortably.

In some ways, I felt as if I was the one who had no idea what to do with their life out of the four of us. Clover was getting married to Jordan, the lawyer, while she worked her perfect job of interior design. Winter was married to Milo, the doctor, and having a baby while her designs were being worn by girls all over Arizona. Ryver was committed to beautiful Jen and had a new job in advertising lined up in New York.

And then there was me, working retail and living by myself. I didn't go to college like my sisters. I didn't commit myself to anyone fully, yet ( I say “yet” because I'm not sure with John. We weren't official). I almost felt bad for myself but then I remembered that I was barely turning twenty-two and I had the rest of my life to figure it all out. It would have just been nice to be secure like my siblings.

We were huddled in Winter's king sized bed, enjoying sandwiches from the deli down the street when everything happened. One minute I'm checking a text from Sawyer explaining how Rocket was going to be in town that weekend, but she'd manage without him, and the next Winter is complaining about labor pains. Her seething was what got us worried. She brushed it off, saying she had been having them off and on all morning, but we were still worried.

While she tried to get comfortable in the bed, she ordered me to go on with my story about the weekend. I looked at her warily before continuing on from where I left off when I got the text.

“So he was being a complete dick and saying these dickish things and I was ignoring him because I didn't want him to know he was getting to me. He brought up Erika, though, and I cracked. I got up and left with them all following me.”

They were all staring at me with wide eyes. “You told him about Erika?” Ryver asked and I nodded.

“I told him about Australia, too. He knows way too much stuff about me that he could end up hurting me with.” I shook my head, “Anyways, I got in my car and he got in the passenger's side. I knew he knew what he said was wrong, but I was so mad! I tried to make him get out but he wasn't budging. My mind wasn't clear, so I just left with him in the car.” They all snorted and I rolled my eyes, “I know, it was dumb and defeated the purpose, but I wasn't thinking.” I explained, “So, we didn't talk, but it started to rain. Then we ran out of gas. He tried to explain himself, but I ran outside. He followed me and made me listen. Turns out the girl was his lesbian friend from high school and he was getting ready to go over to my house. He told me he loves me and I told him I love him. We kissed. End of story.” I rushed the ending then looked down in my lap, avoiding everyone's gazes.

“Ronnie said you had sex with him.” Winter said through a wince.

I cleared my throat, “There, uh, might have been some penetration along there somewhere.”

Clover squinted her eyes at me and tried to get them connected with mine. Suddenly, she gasped, “You had kinky car sex with Lead-Singer-John!” Ryver and Winter immediately gasped and I blushed which only proved their suspicions.

“No!” Ryver exclaimed and Winter started laughing.

“Wow! I guess the moment's right, you just gotta do it anywhere you can!” Winter seethed again as soon as she was done making fun of me.

“Win, those are coming closer together. I think we should get you to the hospital.” Ryver observed.

She whimpered, “I don't want to.”

The three of us looked between each other.

“Do you want me to call Milo?” Clover asked softly and she nodded.

“I'll call Mom.” I smiled softly, “That baby's ready to show her pretty face to the world.”
Image

Archer Rose Tashlin was born at 12:56 AM on January 12, 2011. She was nineteen inches long and six pounds, two ounces. She was tiny and she was perfect. She had a full head of light blonde hair just like her mother and hazel eyes just like her father. She was beautiful and she was our pride and joy.

I collapsed on my bed when I got home from the hospital. I'd been there all day with my sister and only left when the nurses kicked me out. John had told me to call him when I got home no matter hot late it was so I could tell him about it. I looked at the red LED lights on the docking station station next to my bed and sighed at the numbers. It was a little past two in the morning and I was exhausted.

I pressed the phone to my ear, not expecting him to answer. He picked up right when I was about to hang up. His voice was raspy and groggy causing me to smile.

“Did I wake you?” My body relaxed into my mattress and my eyes slid shut. I still had my clothes on from the day, but I had no intentions on getting out of them either.

“I wasn't asleep for that long.” He yawned.

“Do you want me to let you go?” I knew he was tired like I was; according to our text conversation throughout the day he told me they were working hard on recording.

“No, I want you to tell me all about the new baby.”

I smiled, eyes still shut, “Her name is Archer Rose and she's tiny. It took almost twelve hours of labor, but she made it. She's nineteen inches long and weighs six pounds, two ounces. She's gorgeous, John. She's tiny and she's amazing. She has blonde hair and big hazel eyes, but that will eventually change with time.” I sighed happily.

“I bet she's beautiful.”

I smiled softly, “Oh, she is. When I held her, it was so surreal. It was surreal to think that she was in my sister's stomach yesterday. And in twenty years she'll be grown just like us.” It was weird to think about things like that. It was probably just my drowsiness, but I honestly felt weird thinking about how she was born this tiny creature and one day she would be all grown.

John chuckled, “I think you need sleep, my dear.”

As if on cue, I yawned, “You're probably right.”

“All right, well I'll call you tomorrow.”

“mhm.” I was already dozing off.

“Goodnight. I love you.”

“Love you, too.” I mumbled then almost instantly was out cold.

Image

It was a week and a half later before I saw John again. We talked every night before we went to sleep, but he never mentioned coming home early from Skull Valley. I had been huddled in my bed in pain when my doorbell rang. I wanted to hit whoever it was so bad for making me unravel from my fetal position. Every ounce of anger left my body when I saw who was on the other side of the door.

“What are you doing here?!” I exclaimed with a large smile as I threw my arms around his neck.

“I lied so I could surprise you.” He said then quickly stole a kiss.

“Well what a nice surprise on such a sucky day.” Just as I said that, a cramp tightened in my lower abdomen. I winced and he immediately showed concern.

“What's wrong?” He moved inside and shut the door while I whimpered. Frowning, I wrapped my arms around my stomach and slowed my breathing so it would hurt less. “Sparrow?”

I let out a breath when the pain went away. Pulling on his hand, I pouted, “Come cuddle with me, please.” He smirked and followed. I dropped his hand when we got to my bed and crawled in, burrowing myself in the sheets. With my eyes clamped shut, I waited out another cramp.

The bed shifted as I felt John get under the covers next to me. His arms curled around my waist and he pulled me closer to him. “Tell me what's wrong.” He said softly into my ear as my head found its way under his chin.

“I want to rip out my uterus.” I felt the vibrations of his laugh from his chest through his throat and passed his lips.

“If you do, you won't be able to have kids.”

“I don't care at this point; this shit hurts.” He laughed again, but I wasn't finding any of the situation humorous. “It's not funny!” I whined, pushing away from him. His green orbs met my gray ones and I could tell he was amused. “Do you want me to kick you in the balls so you will sympathize with me?”

He chuckled and shook his head, “Come here.” Pulling me back into his chest, I settled back into my previous position.

“Sorry we won't be having sex tonight.” I muttered, feeling embarrassed.

Gently, he pushed me away so he could look me in the eye, “Why would you be sorry about that? I didn't come over here with the intent on sleeping with you.”

I looked away and winced, “It's been two weeks and usually people want welcome home sex. I don't know.” My cheeks heated up.

His thumb and pointer finger lifted my chin up and green met gray again, “Is that what happened with Landon?”

I nodded, “He would steer clear of me when I was on my period.” He frowned, “I know now why he did, but then I had no idea. I just thought maybe that stuff freaked him out.”

His frown only deepened, “Sparrow, our relationship isn't based solely on sex. We have something more than that. I love you and you love me. Don't assume every time I come over or invite you to my place it has to end in us naked. I'm not like him.”

There were tears in my eyes as I nodded, “You are the only decent guy I've gone out with.”

He smiled as he wiped the tears away with the tip of his thumb, “Have you never been with a guy that just wanted to hang out with you in a not so sexual way?”

I shrugged as I shook my head, “The guy I lost it to was a douche bag in high school. Then I was a fake girlfriend for Ryder.” He laughed and I shot him a small glare, “Erika died after that and I closed myself off from relationships. There was a girl in Australia I was seeing, but I left.”

His brow furrowed and he cut me off quickly, “Whoa, wait. A chick? You were in a lesbian relationship?”

I nodded, “For the duration of my time in Australia.”

He stared blankly at me, “That's pretty hot.” I slapped his chest and he laughed, “What? I am a guy still! So what if I think picturing my girlfriend with another girl is hot?”

A sheepish grin spread across my lips, “So I'm your girlfriend now?”

I smirked as his eyes widened, “U-uh, o-only if you want to be.”

I smiled, “I'd love to call you my boyfriend.” He smiled, “Seeing as you're the only decent one I've had.” He brought me in and kissed me. I sighed when we pulled away to breathe. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Now let's sleep.” Our bodies were pressed together so tightly that I could feel and hear his heartbeat. The sound lulled me to sleep.

Image

I woke up some time later, alone. The sheets next to me were barely warm, so I knew John hadn't been gone that long. I only wondered where he ran off to.

It was a little chilly when I unwrapped myself from my nest of sheets. The door was left open a crack rather than the previous wide open, so John must have been doing something.

I stopped off in the bathroom first to relieve my bladder, then quietly made my way through the apartment. The sounds of “Under Great White Northern Lights” were drifting around the living room from my record player in the corner. I smiled at Jack White's voice belting out “Blue Orchid,” my favorite song by The White Stripes. Knowing that out of every piece of vinyl I owned, John picked my favorite, made me smile.

A loud clattering from the kitchen brought me out of my mind. With a furrowed brow, I crept across the hardwood and into where the noise came from. The sight of John O'Callaghan baking was something I was not expecting. He was licking the brown, chocolate-looking contents off of a spoon at the sink. A giggle escaped my mouth before I could stop it.

I watched as John froze – tongue still connected to the spoon – and turn in my direction. His hand holding the spoon lowered as he licked his lips. “What are you doing?” I questioned with a goofy smile etched on my lips.

He quickly placed the spoon and bowl into the sink, “Well, I'm baking.”

I playfully rolled my eyes, “I see that, but why?”

“I wanted to bake you all kinds of chocolate goods because I heard that's what girls crave when it's that time. I was going to bring them to you in bed, but you woke up before the brownies were even done.”

I wanted to cry because of how sweet he was being, and I almost did because of my out of whack hormones. Instead, I crossed the room and latched my arms around his neck. His slender arms wrapped around my waist while his face burrowed into my neck.

After a couple of seconds went by, I pulled away to look into his green eyes as my hand rested on is cheek, “You are the sweetest guy I know, John O'Callaghan.” I smiled with glossy eyes.

He smiled his crooked smile then leaned down and pecked my lips, “You bring out this sweetness in me. I definitely wouldn't be doing this for anybody else.” At his words, I dipped my finger into the mixing bowl and scooped out some chocolate brownie mix then stuck it in my mouth with a smirk. He smirked back at me as I moaned in delight.

Image

“Jack White is a musical genius.” I said as “300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues” began to fill the air of my living room.

We had made a fort out of the extra blankets and sheets I had hanging around the apartment and were eating a plethora of different chocolate goods. Brownies, cookies, candy, and Nutella.

“He's all right.”

My eyes immediately snapped over to him, “What?” He was leaning against the couch with his long legs spread out in front of him. I was lying on the floor with my back propped up on a couple of pillows. “The White Stripes only use three chords throughout all of their songs and yet they all sound fresh and different. He keeps up with three different bands, plays with other bands, owns a record label, a record store, and is desperately trying to keep vinyl alive.” I defended.

All John did was raise his hands up in defense.

“You're just jealous that you're not as good as him.” I smirked and he laughed.

“You're right, Sparrow.” I bit into another brownie and settled further into the pillows and blankets. My legs rested in his lap and he began to drum his fingers to the beat on my bone. I didn't mind, though.

We enjoyed the music and each other's presence. I loved that I could enjoy these moments with him. The way we got along and could talk about anything made me so incredibly happy.

The song quickly ended and the next one filled the air. I smiled as Jack introduced it to the crowd.

“Fall is here, hear the yell, back to school, ring the bell. Brand new shoes, walking blues, climb the fence, books and pens. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.” I sang along softly to the record, not caring if I sounded terrible or not.

The song went on and John sat there, listening to me. “We don't notice any time pass. We don't notice anything. We sit side by side in every class. The teacher thinks that I sound funny, but she loves the way you sing.” He sang along, making me smile.

Landon wouldn't have done this with me. He wouldn't lay in a fort made of blankets with too much chocolate, listening and singing along to The White Stripes. I don't think he even liked The White Stripes.

John leaned over and kissed me as the song ended and the guitar picked up in “I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.” And to think I almost let him get away.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been over a month, but I'm not going to apologize because I'm just not. I don't have an excuse. I just lost every ounce of inspiration I had and didn't want to write or even try. I also am having the same feeling with life. Plus I only got three comments on the last chapter. That was pretty freaking lame. I'm only posting because I want to get this story over with. It's beginning to be a pain in the ass.
Thank you to revenge_is_mine, KissAndSell, and forever.-- for being my three commenters. I really appreciate it. (:

attire

The Crane Wife Pt. 1 - The Decemberists