Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

Familiar Creature

A terrible screech rang throughout the center of the village but it didn't come from Felia's throat. The loud and voluminous noise came, instead, from behind them where Sohrab once was. Felia opened her eyes to see that Fraus had turned his attention away from her and instead to the massive creature that had taken Sohrab's place.

"I don't believe it!" Fraus shouted. There was a distinct change in his voice. He started to morph back into his human form.

Terrified screams ruptured Felia's ear drums. When she looked over, even Boeden looked frightened. Turning a very weak head toward the sound, she understood why. The creature was a dragon. His back was black, like Fraus', but his belly was as red as rubies. Long and hooked claws protruded from each of the four legs. The creature itself was taller than a building but skinnier than one. All along his extensive tail up to the crown of his head were spikes that were dangerously sharp. He also had a wingspan of at least fifty feet. He lifted his head up and when he opened his mouth, fire shot out and pierced the sky, making the crowd break apart.

With a clear voice, Fraus called out, "Sohrab! You're Nate?!"

"He was." another voice answered. Wren stepped in from the trees. "Until you exiled him."

Fraus laughed. "I knew this had to be something of your doing, you silly old witch. You must have given him one of those black magic potions you're always concocting in your cottage. Why I haven't exiled you before is beyond me."

Sohrab, now hovering above Wren and Fraus, blocked the little morning sunlight that started to poke through the trees.

Wren spoke with a clear voice, "I only gave him a drink that would enable him to morph into his creature. Because, like you said, I'm just a silly old witch." She smiled and said, "I can't make a potion that would change someone into a dragon."

"So now I suppose you're going to have him kill me and that will be it?" Fraus said, laughing. "Do you think the people of this village can follow that?" he said while pointing to Felia who was still lying on the ground. The other Naguals started to walk closer to see what the two were talking about. "Look at her! She's weak. She has no place in our society."

"Fraus is right, Wren." Kahili said, walking to Fraus' side. "She wouldn't last a day. They would kill her before the second hour." she said with a sneer.

The crowd around them started to stir.

"So she's alive?" some asked.

"That's her! The jaguar!" another exclaimed.

"Honestly, people!" Fraus said. "Would you really want her instead of me? Look at where we live! Remember how well you live! It was all because of me! If it hadn't been for me-"

"We would be living in peace." Wren said. "We wouldn't have to live away from the humans. Instead, you killed off a quarter of the people who lived here so you could build your 'kingdom'. That's why the humans hunt us, Fraus. Not because they are jealous or afraid of us."

Fraus walked closer to her and warned her, "Speak one more word, woman-"

"Or what? You'll kill me? We all know how successful you are at that."

In one clean move, Fraus smacked her across the cheek and Wren fell to the ground. "Your snide remarks will get you nowhere, old hag."