Status: Completed

Avoid Complications Rodrick.

Afraid of a Jinx.

Cynthia Daniels, was an odd kid, and being the second youngest, she never had it easy.
She was always independent. And used to looking after her little sister; Lilly.

When the oldest of the Daniels family moved out, everything changed, and the two youngest always had their parents attention.

Until, Cynthia's older sister; Miranda.
Was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Miranda went through countless surgery's, and the small four person family the Daniels now had, turned into a two person family. Cynthia took control and looked after Lilly, and the house and everything.

When Miranda got better, so did the family, and Cynthia went into a selfish, self hate period, not being recognized or even thanked for her hard work.
A few years passed, Miranda got engaged and started to have her life again.
So did everyone else.

On Monday night, Cynthia walked into her lit up house, her father began questioning her about her date, she ignored him and went to her room.

The entire family woke up when the phone rang, and all gathered around when their mother shrieked in horror. Cynthia's father took the phone, and for the second time in the past two years, Cynthia saw her father break down into tears.

" What wrong?" She kept asking. Over and over, as she and Lilly fought back their tears, watching their parents cry, it was hard to not bawl themselves.

" Miranda.. Her cancer came back.." Mr. Daniels grievously told the two young girls.

Cynthia couldn't speak, her heart broke in half, she let go of Lilly and ran to her room.
She had been close to Miranda, until she moved out.
They parted quicker than the two realized.
Now, she was so close to loosing her sister again, and she had lost all her freedom of fun,
like the date with Rodrick, she wouldn't get that, in a very long time..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

" Mom.." Rodrick said, his voice went dry and cracked.

She looked at him.

" Her sister.. Older sister.. Was re-diagnosed with cancer.."

Rodrick sighed on the inside but went glum on the out.
No wonder she was so out of it today.

" Her parents are leaving to be with her "

He nodded.

" Mom, can I go.. Now?'

" You just be extra nice to her, and help her out as much as you can. Okay?"

" Yeah okay." He wasn't sure if he could fully live up to that expectation, but he was going to try.

Rodrick walked to the garage and sat at his drums,
no matter how well he played, he couldn't get into it like he usually did.
Rodrick was upset because she didn't even tell him,
then again, they've been on one date and hung out a few times.
Why would she tell him a huge family secret?
Why did his mom know that?

After the practise Rodrick lugged himself to his room, and tripped over something.

" CHUBBY BUTTONS!" He yelled, seeing Greg's stupid friend Rowley's magic set.
God that kid was a pain in his ass. Both of them.

Greg heard his brother screaming and was glad the two decided to go outside.
Otherwise in five minuets of being caught by Rodrick, Greg would be holding two black eyes, two since Rodrick couldn't hit Rowley, but he scared him enough to some kind of damage.

Rodrick; unable to find Greg or baby Hippo.
Retreated to his room.
He didn't know what to do, should he call her?
Should he do nothing, or maybe he should go see her.
What the fuck was he to do??

It was bit fast to jump into her family's problems, but they'd changed so quickly on her, did she need him to lean on?

Rodrick just didn't know, he grabbed his pillow and put it over his face.
Until his eyes shut tight.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

" Be sure to call us if there are any problems." Mrs. Daniels said to her oldest.

Cynthia nodded, crossing her arms. She was still pissed off for her mom, telling Rodrick's mom what had happened. But she couldn't tell her mom that, because well they were leaving.

" Mom. Mom. I know the drill. Just go.." She said and half heartdly smiled.

Mrs. Daniels hugged Cynthia tightly then went to find Lilly.
Mr. Daniels walked over to Cynthia, looked her dead in the eye and said a simple sentence.

" No. Boys. Over." He grumbled, then hugged Cynthia and kissed her head.

Of course there weren't going to be boys over, like she wanted them to see her in her controlling parent mode. Complete turn off, and she knew it.

In a few minuets, they got into their taxi, waved good-bye and were gone down the street.
Cynthia had reached the door, when she heard the screech of his tires coming to an abrupt halt.

She turned and held herself, looking over at him.
She knew immediately Rodrick's mother had told him what was going on.

He slowly walked over to her, his hands in his pockets, and he wasn't making eye contact, but he was aware of her, she bit her lip and held her tears as the entire situation came over her. She ran to Rodrick and threw her arms around him. He caught her and hugged her back.

He walked them like that into the house, Cynthia didn't let go of him until Lilly made her go into that mom program she had so well put in her system.

" You can go home you know"

" Do you want me to go home."

" You want you to go home."

" Says who?" Rodrick asked.

" Guys like you, don't stick around for these kinds of things. Shit, even I don't." She said, not bothering to look at his jaw dropping reaction to her saying that small swear.

" Well, can you make an exception for me to stay?" He asked, cheekily and smirked over at her. She couldn't help but smile and moved closer to him.

" I guess so.." Cynthia said and grabbed his hand.
Maybe she was wrong about him, maybe he did care enough to stay.
She didn't know why, but she didn't want to jinx it, so she went with it.
Too her surprise, it was like he was a complete new Rodrick...
Then it really passed into her mind.. He was being nice, helping out and staying with her in this bump?

Something had to be up.
Sure enough, she was right.

While Rodrick went into the bathroom, he really sat on the edge of the tub, and went into his jeans pocket, and pulled out, twenty dollars worth of Mom Bucks.