Status: Fin.

Inferno

A part of the family

I didn’t know the bike was hers, so I was surprised when she arrived to pick me up with the bike and not the car. I’d never been on a motorbike before so I was a little worried as I tugged on the helmet and wrapped my arms around her waist. I barely heard her tell me that it’s a Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto, whatever the hell that is. I’m only just beginning to enjoy the ride when we pull up at the front of Izzy’s house, I watch as she pulls the cover back onto the bike after wheeling it into the garage. I follow her inside and watch her place the single key into the bowl, before following her down to the kitchen and being assaulted by the fantastic aroma of home cooked chicken curry.

Iseult is immediately swept up in the task of finishing the dish, she adds the tiniest amount of coconut milk, stirring it through as she turns the stove off, she brings out of the oven pappadams and places them on the table, which her brother had just finished setting. She then gets out sour cream and mixes in mint leaves and lemon juice and places that too on the table. Next she places a bowl of rice on the table then the bowl of chicken curry. Wiping her hands on a cloth Iseult instructs me to sit whilst she gets a jug of ice water from the fridge and sets it on the table with everything else.

Colleen sits at the table next to her brother, and Iseult and I sit across from them, their table is a beautiful wooden 8 seater table. Everyone digs in and I listen carefully for her brother’s name, seeing as I had never been introduced.

“So who’s this?” her brother asks as if reading my thoughts.

“This is Dante, Dante this is Reidhachadh, but he prefers to be called by his middle name, Blair,” Iseult introduces us and Blair winces when Iseult says his name, Reeashard or something like that.

We all sit and eat after that, the three siblings making small talk about their assorted days, Blair complaining about a substitute who insisted on calling him by his first name and then Iseult and Colleen laughing at all the ways that the teacher had pronounced it wrong.

It was good to just sit and watch, even better when the three of them included me in the conversations as if I was a part of the family.