When the Walls Come Crashing Down

Shifty Eyes

After the baptism the family gathered together at Kevin Sr. and Denise’s house. Denise had made a beautiful cake the day before just for the occasion. Everyone gathered around the table as Faith held Bryson and Joe set up the self-timer on the camera. Nick stood to her left, his hand hovering over her back. Joe quickly walked over and stood on her right, wrapping his arm around her waist. She felt Nick shift next to her and he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

“Bright,” Lizzy whined, blinking her eyes after the picture was taken.

“Baby,” Joe muttered as he walked past her to the camera to check the picture. “It’s good!”

“Yay cake!” Lizzy said, rubbing her hands together. Faith turned to her and raised an eyebrow.

“You know you’re getting a cake of your own later, right?” Faith asked.

“Faith!” Dani complained, crossing her arms. “It was supposed to be a surprise!”

“Babe, she’s leaving tomorrow for college, a cake is to be expected,” Kevin said, wrapping his arm around Dani’s waist and kissing her forehead as she pouted.

“Still,” she said, crossing her arms.

“How about I just act surprised when you bring it out?” Lizzy suggested as she took a bite of the baptism cake.

“You better,” Dani said, narrowing her eyes.

“Hey Faith,” Charlotte said, looking up from her camera, a smile on her face.

“Yeah?” Faith asked, taking a bite of cake.

“Could I get a couple of picture of you and Nick with Bryson? I don’t have any at all from today,” she said.

“Uh sure,” Faith said, looking at Nick who nodded his head. Faith looked next to her at Joe who was looking down at the table and scratching the back of his neck. She bit her lip before standing up and standing awkwardly next to Nick.

“Actually can we go in the foyer? I’d like to take them on the staircase if that’s alright,” Charlotte said, pointing over her shoulder to the front of the house.

“That’s fine,” Nick said, following her into the entryway. Faith looked over her shoulder at Joe who was resting back in his chair and staring intently at his phone. She sighed and looked down at Bryson who was half asleep in her arms.

“Where do you want us?” Faith asked, walking over to the staircase.

“Just a few steps up,” Charlotte said pointing. “Nick can you get on the step behind her just so I can see what it looks like?”

“Yeah,” he said, clearing his throat as he went up one. He looked down over Faith’s shoulder at Bryson and reached his hand out to touch his head. His hand accidentally brushed against Faith’s shoulder and she jerked away slightly.

“Sorry,” they both whispered. Nick pulled his arm back and stuck his hand in his pocket.

“No, you’re way too tall up there. Just stand on the same step,” Charlotte said, smiling up at them. Faith moved over to her left to make room for Nick on her right. He stepped down and put his arm behind Faith, hovering once again.

“I don’t bite, Nick,” Faith whispered.

“Right,” he said, nodding his head. He lowered his arm to wrap around her waist and as if on instinct, his fingers curled around her hip, slightly pulling her closer to his body. Faith shifted slightly and cleared her throat.

“Hold it right there,” Charlotte said excitedly as Faith was about to pull away from Nick a little bit. “Okay Faith, can you tilt your arm up a little bit or is Bryson too far gone?”

“He’s still kind of awake, I’ll see what I can do,” she said, smiling down at Bryson as she adjusted the angle of her arm. Bryson’s eyes slowly widened and he let out a yawn. “How’s that?”

“Perfect,” Charlotte said with a smile. “Now just smile you two.”

Faith put on the best smile she could, Nick’s fingers burning on her waist. She was so close to him for the first time in a long time that she could have sworn she could hear his heart beating in his chest. Charlotte snapped a picture, the flash temporarily blinding Faith.

“Let me just get a few more,” Charlotte said after looking at the picture.

“Do you want us in a different pose?” Faith asked, making sure not to sound too hopeful.

“No you’re fine as is,” Charlotte said, waving a hand and holding the camera up to her face again. She was able to take two or three more pictures before the flash irritated Bryson’s eyes and he started crying.

“Is he okay?” Joe asked, rushing into the foyer. Nick’s arm instantly dropped from Faith’s side and she automatically went down the steps to Joe, a smile on her face.

“He’s fine, just too much flash. I think he’s ready for a nap,” Faith said, bouncing him in her arms and shushing him.

“Do you want to take him home?” Joe asked, ducking his head to look her in the eye.

“We should spend time with the family,” she said, biting her lip and looking over her shoulder to the kitchen.

“We should spend time with just the three of us, too,” Joe said softly and Faith nodded.

“I know. I don’t want them to be upset though,” she said, shrugging her shoulders.

“They’ll be fine. Besides, they're all coming over for Lizzy's party later,” he said, putting his hands on her shoulders. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. Faith pulled away when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

“Sorry,” Nick mumbled. Faith glanced at Joe and saw him press his lips together in a thin line as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

“What’s up, Nick?” she asked with a sigh.

“I was just wondering if you wanted me to take Bryson to put him down,” he said, looking down at Bryson who had finally stopped crying.

“Thanks but Joe and I are actually going to take him home.”

“How are you getting there?” he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

“Oh,” Faith said with a frown. “I forgot we all came in one car.”

“I’m sure your Mom will let us take her car. Then someone else can bring them back to the house with them for Lizzy’s party,” Joe said, stepping forward and wrapping his arm around Faith’s shoulders.

“Right!” Faith exclaimed, holding Bryson in one arm so she could grab Joe’s hand and lead him back into the kitchen. “Hey Mom?”

“Yes?” Meg asked, a smile on her face left over from something Denise had just said to her.

“Can Joe and I take your car to get back to the house? Bryson needs to be put down for awhile and while we’re there we can get ready for when everyone comes over for Lizzy’s party later,” she explained, crossing her fingers in her mind.

“Of course,” Meg said, standing up to get her purse.

“We’ll take you over with us when it’s time to go,” Kevin Sr. said and Meg smiled at him.

“Thank you,” she said, handing Joe the keys. She bent down to gently kiss Bryson’s forehead. “We’ll see you soon.”

“Bye,” they said simultaneously, waving as they walked over to the front door.

“Where’s his carrier?” Faith asked.

“Um,” Joe said, looking around. He furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his arms. “I thought we left it right here.”

“Here,” Nick said, holding the carrier out as he walked over to them.

“Where was it?” Faith asked.

“In the living room. Mom must have moved it,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Thanks,” Joe said, taking it from him. Nick’s arm dropped to his side once it was out of his grip and his hands instantly went to his pockets.

“See you in a bit,” Faith said, nodding at him as Joe held the door open for her.

“Yupp,” Nick said.

“Thank God,” Faith said once she, Joe, and Bryson were safely in the car. Joe started to pull out and gave her a confused look as he shifted the car into drive.

“You okay?” he asked and Faith sighed.

“I don’t know. Is it me or was he acting really weird?”

“Who, Nick?” Joe asked and she nodded her head. “Define weird.”

“He was very… skittish,” she said, turning to look at Joe.

“How so?” he asked.

“Well when Charlotte had us on the stairs for the pictures he had his arm behind me and I said that I don’t bite and when he put his arm around me he like… clutched to me. And he kept clearing his throat awkwardly and he had shifty eyes.”

“Shifty eyes?” Joe asked with a laugh.

“Yeah! You know the kind he just kept glancing at me in his peripheral vision every few seconds and he just seemed so nervous. I swear I could hear his heart beating a mile a minute we were that close,” she said, shaking her head.

“Is that why when I walked in the room you practically flew to my side?” he asked, looking at her sympathetically.

“It was that noticeable?” she asked, wincing slightly hoping maybe Nick and Charlotte didn’t notice it.

“Just a little bit,” he said, nodding his head. “I mean I can’t attest to all the Nick stuff but I can tell you that I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea.”

“I know,” she said with a pout. “I saw the look on your face when we were walking to the foyer. I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s just… Charlotte is supposedly my best friend next to you of course so she knows how I feel and everyone else is comfortable with the situation we have going on and yet she only wants pictures of you and Nick with Bryson,” he said in one breath and Faith put her hand on his leg.

“Well in her defense she did say she didn’t have any of us with Nick from today. For all we know she has a bunch of you and me with Bryson,” she said, shrugging her shoulders and hoping that was the case.

“Yeah, maybe,” he said quietly and Faith raised an eyebrow.

“Joe, talk to me,” she said softly, squeezing his knee gently.

“I’m scared of leaving you alone with him again,” he whispered.

“Babe we’ve talked about this. I won’t be alone with him. Mom will still be there. And Kevin and Dani are right around the corner and with Dani pregnant I’m sure she’ll be over all the time squeezing as much pregnancy information out of me as possible,” she said and he nodded.

“It’s just… with Lizzy leaving tomorrow that’s one less person. And you know that of all people she’d be the one to put Nick in line if he ever stepped out of it.”

“Oh I know,” Faith said in agreement. “How about I talk to Kevin… or Frankie hell even both of them. If I’m uncomfortable being around Nick I’ll just discreetly text one of them and have them make plans with Nick or just randomly show up. Especially when Mom’s at work.”

“That would definitely make me feel a little better,” he said, nodding his head and she smiled at him.

“There’s nothing to worry about. Two more months will fly by before we know it,” she said and Joe let out a deep breath.

“Let’s hope so,” he said, pulling into the driveway.

****

“I’m here!” Lizzy shouted, thrusting the front door open and throwing her arms out wide. Faith winced as Bryson started crying and she walked into the foyer with her eyes narrowed.

“Really Liz?” she asked and Lizzy covered her mouth with her hands.

“Oops,” she said with a laugh. Faith rolled her eyes and couldn’t help but smile.

“It’s alright, I was about to go wake him up anyway,” she said, putting her hand on the banister as she started to walk up the stairs. “Did everyone follow you?”

“Yupp they’re just grabbing things from their cars,” Lizzy said, walking into the living room and smiling at the balloons and the big banner.

“Do not touch anything until I come back down,” Faith said, pointing at her. Lizzy raised a hand to her forehead and gave a soldier’s solute.

“Yes ma’am,” she said, plopping down onto one of the chairs. Faith shook her head and quickly went up the rest of the stairs into her and Joe’s bedroom to grab Bryson.

“Hi baby,” she cooed, bending down to pick him up. “I know, auntie’s rude.”

“Faith?”

“Frankie, hi,” she said, turning to him a smile on her face. “What’s up?”

“Joe caught me when I walked in and said you wanted to talk to me,” he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“Yeah, come in, sit down,” she said, sitting on the bed. Frankie joined her and smiled at Bryson. “Want to hold him?”

“Sure,” he said, holding his arms out as Faith slid Bryson into them.

“One second,” Faith said, standing up and walking over to the bedside table. She grabbed the baby monitor and shut it off then walked over and closed the door before sitting back next to Frankie who raised an eyebrow.

“What’s going on, Faith?” he asked and she sighed.

“I need you to do me a favor… and Joe,” she said and Frankie nodded for her to continue. “Joe is… concerned… that something is going to happen between Nick and me while he is gone. Especially with Lizzy gone he’s afraid that there aren’t enough people to monitor Nick all the time. And I know this sounds horrible because they’re both your brothers but…”

“Faith,” he said, stopping her mid sentence. “I’ll help out with whatever. I love my brothers but… I don’t know… I’ve noticed things lately with Nick that aren’t… right.”

“You too?” she asked and he nodded his head.

“Well first of all him quitting the album was a huge shock to everyone. It’s so far out of Nick’s norm that I couldn’t believe it. You and Joe are meant to be together so whatever you need.”

“Oh thank you Frankie,” she said, reaching over and wrapping her arms around his shoulders, kissing his cheek. “I just need you to keep your phone in reach after school and everything in case there’s a time where I need you to step in and distract Nick or something.”

“Yeah no problem,” he said and she smiled. “We should go downstairs now though.”

“Right, you go on ahead. I’ve got to get Lizzy’s present out of the closet,” she said as he stood up. She opened the door for him before heading over to the closet. She grabbed Lizzy’s present and another bag before heading downstairs.

“Finally!” Lizzy exclaimed as Faith walked into the room.

“Sit still,” Faith said and waited until Lizzy calmed down in the chair. She set the bag down and pulled out a tiara and a feather boa and placed them on Lizzy.

“Faith I’m going to college I’m not turning 21 nor am I getting married,” Lizzy said, raising an eyebrow at her sister and playing with the boa.

“Just wear them, huh?” Faith said, putting her hands on her hips.

“Only because they’re pink,” Lizzy said smiling and Faith rolled her eyes. Faith looked up over Lizzy’s shoulders and saw Nick and Charlotte standing off to the side. Her arm was wrapped around his waist as she talked to Danielle about something but Nick was looking at Faith. He quickly looked away when she caught his eye and Faith turned to look for Joe.

“I’ll be right back Liz,” she said, turning and walking into the kitchen.

“Hey,” Joe said, smiling at her as he took the lasagna out of the oven.

“Hi,” she said, walking over and wrapping her arms around his torso once he set the lasagna down on the counter. “I talked to Frankie.”

“And?” he asked, rubbing his hands up and down her back.

“He’s noticed weird stuff from Nick too. He’s willing to help,” she said and Joe squeezed her lightly.

“Good, Kevin is too. I talked to him real quick while you were upstairs,” he said and she nodded.

“So… are you going to mention anything to Charlotte?” she asked.

“No, absolutely not. Only if she brings up the subject herself but I’m keeping my lips sealed,” he said and Faith bit her lip. “What?’

“Don’t you think that’s kind of… cruel? I mean she’s part of this whole mess too.”

“Yeah but that’s between her and Nick. She doesn’t need to know,” he said, putting his hands on her shoulders and she shrugged.

“I guess not,” she said. “We should go out there before Lizzy gets impatient.”

“Right,” Joe said with a laugh, picking up the lasagna and carrying it into the dining room.

“Food!” Faith called into the living room.

“Oh my God finally,” Lizzy said, making her way into the dining room. “It smells amazing broseph.”

“Thanks Liz,” he said, smiling at her. He touched Faith’s arm as he made his way back into the kitchen to get more food. Lizzy walked around the table to take her seat but Faith grabbed her hand and Lizzy turned to her.

“What’s up?” Lizzy asked quietly, a smile on her face. Faith bit her lip and felt a tear slide down her cheek. “Faith?”

“I’m just… really going to miss you,” Faith choked out. Lizzy jutted her lower lip out before wrapping her arms around Faith’s shoulders and holding her close. She held her tight and Faith wrapped her arms around Lizzy’s back as a few more tears fell.

“I love you big sis,” Lizzy whispered in her ear. “Everything will be fine.”

“I love you too,” was all Faith managed to get out before pulling away and wiping her eyes quickly. She turned and walked into the kitchen to help Joe with the rest of the food, taking a deep breath and composing herself.

“You okay?” Joe asked, putting his hand on her back.

“I will be,” she said, biting her lip and looking over her shoulder to the family. Nick sat next to Charlotte and Faith noticed how he shrugged away when Charlotte put her hand on his shoulder.

“Okay,” Joe said, kissing the side of her head before going into the dining room.

“I hope,” Faith said to herself before grabbing the salad and joining the family again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for how long this took again. I've been sitting here since I posted the previous chapter trying to think of what to do. Then I talked to my dear friend Shelby and literally got once sentence of help from her and that sparked basically EVERYTHING that happened in this chapter! So thank you Shelby!!!

Boy do I have exciting things planned for this :) I want to try to squeeze at least one more chapter out before the new year then the next one probably won't come until mid-January... maybe... because I'm going to Disney World Jan 6-13th so... maybe I will ATTEMPT to get 2 chapters in before then! But don't hold your breaths!

Thanks so much! :)
~Steph <3